Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Mock draft 4.0: Serious shakeup at the top (Kirwan 4.0)

With each passing week, there are more new bits of information about the draft class to help predict where players might wind up.

There are veteran signings, trades, and releases that also help guide the educated guess about a team selection. I have had a number of conversations with coaches attending the pro days. I finally got the time to watch many of the top prospects on tape and I have interviewed most of them at least once. In a number of cases I have talked with them three or four times.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09...s&confirm=true

Wasn't to long ago I couldn't stand this guy.
    Now I can't seem to get enough of what he has to say.
    Maybe its because he uses the word "Cat" all the time on his show with Tim.....

Regardless, all I can say is WOW.......

By the way, love the format he uses.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Mock draft 4.0: Serious shakeup at the top (Kirwan 4.0)

Your hero has us picking a WR like others here. I thought we had bigger needs elsewhere?

"marstc09" wrote:
    Your hero has us picking a WR like others here. I thought we had bigger needs elsewhere?
    I'm gonna gen up a email to him today to straighten him out.
    Can't get through anymore cause thier lines are way to busy.
    Held for 45 minutes the other day with no success.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

As FA/trade time, slows down, the draft speculation is heating up. Although I'd like a WR, I have to agree with Marrdro that we need a OT, or a DT with that first pick, and may have a tough choice to make. We'll see soon enough how things shake out.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

I think we can still get an upgrade at RT in the 3rd round and possibly later.
    At DT the draft depth isn't as deep, but it looks like the best ones will be gone at 22, and at the moment, that is more of a depth need than a starter need.
    I don't think there's any chance we go QB in round1.
    My top three options are C, CB or WR.

Depending on how we truly feel about Sullivan and/or Herrera at C, I could totally see us going with Mack or Unger, versatile enough to play C or OG, maybe even some OT in a pinch...it would be a good depth move.

Between Gordon, Sapp, and Paymeh, the nickel is pretty set, and Griff and Winny are the obvious starters...but, both of those starters will be UFA next off season (actually, all 5 of our CBs will be FA!
    )
    Could totally see a BPA CB pick for future depth, to learn behind the vets for a year, similar to the TJ pick at S last year...especaillly if that guy brings return skills to the table too.

Knowing our Vikings, we could go WR if that is what we feel is BPA, or we could skip that position all together and pick up a bunch of UDFAs for TC competition/fodder.
    To me this position is an enigma, on one hand I like our young guys...of Rice, AA, JJ, and DR it is likely at least one will step up, the question is when.
    I'm happy with BB and Wade's contributions too, but it just hasn't been enough.
    One more consistent downfield threat is IMHO our biggest need.
    Too often, all our guys are covered, while the opponent is fricken blitzen!!
    (In other words, an extra guy up front...which should mean more room to work downfield)
    One more legit threat, to back them off, spread them out, and truly, make them, "Pick Their Poison," could go a long way toward improving the entire offense, QB obviously, WRs by getting them more space to work, but mostly, AP.
    Give Peterson an even hand at the line and watch those big run TDs pile up!! ;D
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Just wanted to Add:
    The way things look to be falling, it may be in our best interest to trade back for extra 2nds or even future picks.
    IF the value doesn't fit any of our needs, given the best DT, CB, WR, and OL may be gone...we could look for value at those positions in the 2nd and 3rd, OR, set ourselves up with two firsts next year so we can make a run at ANYBODY we want!

I hope that Sage and Tarvaris are both going to play well this year, but if they're not up to snuff or they both end up injured (God Forbid!) we may take a long hard look at Bradford, McCoy, and/or Tebow (for example)

"mountainviking" wrote:
    I think we can still get an upgrade at RT in the 3rd round and possibly later.
    At DT the draft depth isn't as deep, but it looks like the best ones will be gone at 22, and at the moment, that is more of a depth need than a starter need.
    I don't think there's any chance we go QB in round1.
    My top three options are C, CB or WR.

Depending on how we truly feel about Sullivan and/or Herrera at C, I could totally see us going with Mack or Unger, versatile enough to play C or OG, maybe even some OT in a pinch...it would be a good depth move.

Between Gordon, Sapp, and Paymeh, the nickel is pretty set, and Griff and Winny are the obvious starters...but, both of those starters will be UFA next off season (actually, all 5 of our CBs will be FA!
    )
    Could totally see a BPA CB pick for future depth, to learn behind the vets for a year, similar to the TJ pick at S last year...especaillly if that guy brings return skills to the table too.

Knowing our Vikings, we could go WR if that is what we feel is BPA, or we could skip that position all together and pick up a bunch of UDFAs for TC competition/fodder.
    To me this position is an enigma, on one hand I like our young guys...of Rice, AA, JJ, and DR it is likely at least one will step up, the question is when.
    I'm happy with BB and Wade's contributions too, but it just hasn't been enough.
    One more consistent downfield threat is IMHO our biggest need.
    Too often, all our guys are covered, while the opponent is fricken blitzen!!
    (In other words, an extra guy up front...which should mean more room to work downfield)
    One more legit threat, to back them off, spread them out, and truly, make them, "Pick Their Poison," could go a long way toward improving the entire offense, QB obviously, WRs by getting them more space to work, but mostly, AP.
    Give Peterson an even hand at the line and watch those big run TDs pile up!! ;D
    I really think we will see a contract on Griff sometime this year.
    Probably just in time for it to count against this years cap.

Not sure about Whinny.
    If we dont' see something soon, I feel that is a true indicator that the staff has no intention of bringing him back as traditionally (at least the small sample size we have), they have resigned or returning Vets a year early.
    The ones the don't have gone elsewhere.

Still not sold that Gordon is gonna be 100% this year.
    Never seen a guy come back from a break (were it was sticking sideways) of that magnitude and be his old self.

Benny is a interesting prospect much like Karl.
    Not sure if Benny fits in the long term plans or one would think they would have inked in to a longer contrack.

Brings me to McCauley.
    He sure played about as well as could be expected his first year when he filled in for Whinny.
    Not sure what his problem was this year or what his status is in the eyes of the coaches.
    I guess he and Walker (like his size/speed) will have to show thier wares this year.

Long story short, I do think we will see a CB taken someplace in this draft now that the FO got us Karl instead of Carr..... ;D

Yeah, MacCauley surprises me too.
    Like ya said, he played well enough as a rookie starter.
    And, sometimes, I think we were better off putting the bigger kid on the WR downfield, and Winny on the slot/nickel.

True.
    We've got cap space to use, and Cedric has stepped his game up admirably.
    He's coming off the first contract and so fits the MO, and already knows the system.
    Yup, Real Good Chance he gets an extension by mid season!!
    And, knowing ole ByzDealSki, he'll eat up the whole rest of the cap with a roster bonus that won't effect our space after this year.
    ;D

Of course, we have several other candidates for mid season renewals...it might not be hard at all to eat that cap.

Chester Taylor
    Antoine Winfield
    Tarvaris Jackson
    Greenway?

And, IMHO, its never too early to start thinking about extending Peterson's deal either...lets just keep that kid happy and make sure its never an issue!!

"mountainviking" wrote:
    Yeah, MacCauley surprises me too.
    Like ya said, he played well enough as a rookie starter.
    And, sometimes, I think we were better off putting the bigger kid on the WR downfield, and Winny on the slot/nickel.

True.
    We've got cap space to use, and Cedric has stepped his game up admirably.
    He's coming off the first contract and so fits the MO, and already knows the system.
    Yup, Real Good Chance he gets an extension by mid season!!
    And, knowing ole ByzDealSki, he'll eat up the whole rest of the cap with a roster bonus that won't effect our space after this year.

;D

Of course, we have several other candidates for mid season renewals...it might not be hard at all to eat that cap.

Chester Taylor
    Antoine Winfield
    Tarvaris Jackson
    Greenway?

And, IMHO, its never too early to start thinking about extending Peterson's deal either...lets just keep that kid happy and make sure its never an issue!!
    Not sure why, but based on what we have seen (absolutely nothing) with respect to Whinny and CT, I bet the staff lets them test the market and focuses on resigning that core group of cats coming due from 2005.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Mock draft 4.0: Serious shakeup at the top (Kirwan 4.0)
    Wow.
    Really takes a lot to have a serious shakeup at the top in a mock draft that is created months before the draft.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast