Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Minnesota Vikings willing to consider signing free agents

[size=13pt]Minnesota Vikings willing to consider signing free agents[/size]

But draft is preferred way of improving

BY DON SEEHOLZER
    Pioneer Press

Vikings coach Brad Childress said he has the financial backing of ownership to do whatever he deems necessary to improve the team this offseason, but that doesn't mean the Vikings will sign a slew of free agents.

"We prefer to build this thing through the draft," Childress said Thursday at his season-ending news conference. "That's the best way to do it, to train those guys right from the time that they come in. Just like this draft class that played a bunch is going to be that much better next year."

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Re: Minnesota Vikings willing to consider signing free agents

Childress+Spielman=Stupid. Birk, McKinnie, Hutch, PWill, Sharper, Winfield, Richardson=not spring chickens.

tb04512 is offline Team Alumni

"DeathtoDenny" wrote:
    Childress+Spielman=Stupid. Birk, McKinnie, Hutch, PWill, Sharper, Winfield, Richardson=not spring chickens.
    duh they are fall chickens, i mean cmon they play football
    8)

Thanks josdin00

The problem is that fans are much more interested in acquiring big names FA regardless of price and talent level.

tb04512 is offline Team Alumni

"cogitans" wrote:
    The problem is that fans are much more interested in acquiring big names FA regardless of price and talent level.
    right now, they should get whatever gets the fans to the dome, and whatever gets them a stadium of course help the team but im worried about the blackout potential and stadium deal too

Thanks josdin00

"We prefer to build this thing through the draft" Does Childress really feel that secure about his job? If I was him I would be trying to make some big acquisitions. From the way he is talking it doesn't seem like we are going to sign any big name guys. Well I am going to remain optimistic and hope we will be able to get somebody.

Odin VAVikefan is offline Pro-Bowler

Well, thank god we're "willing to consider" signing free agents during the offseason. Most NFL teams never think about doing that! :
    NMA -- www.newmodelarmy.org

"DeathtoDenny" wrote:
    I disagree.
    All of these guys have a few years left, and Birk (31), McKinnie (28), and Hutchinson (30) could all play well until they're at least 35 if they wanted to.
    OVerall, I think we have an extremely young team.

Anyway, every team has to deal with guys getting too old, getting injured, or just leaving.
    What hurts is when everyone leaves at once or when you lose a good player at a position that is hard to replace.
    What are those positions?
    Pretty much QB, LT, #1 WR, RDE, and a man coverage CB.

I love big Pat Williams, but there will be other DTs out there in 2 or 3 years that can take his place.
    Birk has been good too, but there are also usually some decent centers around.
    Heck, maybe Cook could actually play that position better than RT.
    I feel pretty much the same way about FB and a CB in a cover 2 system.

And lets face it, none of these guys will make or break our team by themselves.
    If Tony Richardson retired tomorrow, how many people would decide that the Vikings will only win 6 games next year instead of 10 if that's what they thought before?
    As long as we don't lose these seven guys (or some similar group) in one offseason, then they can be replaced.

So I think the strategy of building through the draft is the right one.

But that doesn't mean that they won't go after someone that can't be picked up elsewhere in free agency, and pay him a ton, if they need to.
    That's why they got Hutchinson - he was too good to find elsewhere.
    If Jared Allen is available, you better believe they'll make a serious run at him.
    They also might spend big for a RT (guy from Pittsburgh?) or WR if the right guy is available.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

"Overlord" wrote:
    "DeathtoDenny" wrote:
    I disagree.
    All of these guys have a few years left, and Birk (31), McKinnie (28), and Hutchinson (30) could all play well until they're at least 35 if they wanted to.
    OVerall, I think we have an extremely young team.

Anyway, every team has to deal with guys getting too old, getting injured, or just leaving.
    What hurts is when everyone leaves at once or when you lose a good player at a position that is hard to replace.
    What are those positions?
    Pretty much QB, LT, #1 WR, RDE, and a man coverage CB.

I love big Pat Williams, but there will be other DTs out there in 2 or 3 years that can take his place.
    Birk has been good too, but there are also usually some decent centers around.
    Heck, maybe Cook could actually play that position better than RT.
    I feel pretty much the same way about FB and a CB in a cover 2 system.

And lets face it, none of these guys will make or break our team by themselves.
    If Tony Richardson retired tomorrow, how many people would decide that the Vikings will only win 6 games next year instead of 10 if that's what they thought before?
    As long as we don't lose these seven guys (or some similar group) in one offseason, then they can be replaced.

So I think the strategy of building through the draft is the right one.

But that doesn't mean that they won't go after someone that can't be picked up elsewhere in free agency, and pay him a ton, if they need to.
    That's why they got Hutchinson - he was too good to find elsewhere.
    If Jared Allen is available, you better believe they'll make a serious run at him.
    They also might spend big for a RT (guy from Pittsburgh?) or WR if the right guy is available.
    This is a very intelligent post. I think you have understood how the front office of the Vikings also thinks.

Don't think for a second that they won't go after talent in FA if it's there. But they will not bring in anyone just because of their name

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

I like Childress/Spielman's plan to build through the draft, and add key FA's if they suit our imediate needs. Another strong draft this year will go along ways in keeping us in the top tier of NFL teams for a long time. We have a good mix of vets and youth, and alot of cap room. This is a well managed club, and we should be able to aquire a key FA easily if we deem him to be necessary to help us out.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast