Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Re: The Minnesota Vikings Select....

Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1094441
    Quote Originally Posted by "midgensa" #1094434
    With the No. 12 pick in the draft the Minnesota Vikings select ...

Jake Locker, QB-Washington

I think he is our target and we will reach to get him. The one thing we are hoping for is that Julio Jones falls to this spot, or even Nick Fairley ... if they do we will have solid trade offers to move back and still likely be able to get Locker/Mallet which I think is who we are targeting.
    You would pass up Jones for Locker?

I don't believe I would pass up Fairley either.

What is it about Locker that makes you think he is a sure thing?
    If Fairley and Jones are available I think we have to take one of them, whichever we like better. I would prefer Jones but would be happy with either one of them.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I think he is our target and we will reach to get him. The one thing we are hoping for is that Julio Jones falls to this spot, or even Nick Fairley ... if they do we will have solid trade offers to move back and still likely be able to get Locker/Mallet which I think is who we are targeting.

With Quarterbacks especially, there's no such thing as a sure thing. Even gusy like Matt Ryan and Matt Stafford had alot of doubters. But, at this point, I want to take a risk. I want to shoot for a top prospect. Pro scouts and analysts obviously believe this guy has the tools to be a good QB, otherwise they wouldn't rate him so high. Whether he'll actually live up to his potential, who knows. But I'm tired of settling for crappy 2nd-4th round QB's, and drafting positions we don't need.

Since 1961, we've drafted TWO(2) first round quarterbacks, Tommy Kramer and Daunte Culpepper.

We have rarely really grown our own QB's. We either reach for late rounders, or sign old free agents to fill in for a few years. Some of our best QB's in Vikings history have been stop-gap players.

In fact, looking at QB's who made an NFCC or better:

Joe Kapp (Old FA, 1970 NFL Champ winner)
    Fran Tarkenton (2nd rounder, 1973, 1974, 1976 NFCC)
    Tommy Kramer(First Rounder, 1987 NFCC)
    Randall Cunningham(Old Vet FA, 1998 NFCC)
    Daunte Culpepper(First rounder, 2000 NFCC)
    Brett Favre(Old FA, 2009 NFCC)

Looking at our performance, of players who have made an NFCC or better, 2/6 of them were first rounders, 3/6 were drafted in the first 32 picks
    Other than Tark, we have NEVER had a franchise QB. Culpepper was looking like the guy to maybe take us to the next level, but he just imploded.

Back to my point, I want a QB. I want us to try. If we miss, then we miss. It sucks, but I'd rather risk it than go for a 'sure thing injured player' who gets 16 sacks a year and finish 9-7 and miss the playoffs every year.

Great WR's are useless without a QB. Look at Fitzgerald. Arguably the best WR in the game right now. Why aren't the Cards winning? Because a great WR doesn't win championships. A great QB can win championships though.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1094444

With Quarterbacks especially, there's no such thing as a sure thing. Even gusy like Matt Ryan and Matt Stafford had alot of doubters. But, at this point, I want to take a risk. I want to shoot for a top prospect. Pro scouts and analysts obviously believe this guy has the tools to be a good QB, otherwise they wouldn't rate him so high. Whether he'll actually live up to his potential, who knows. But I'm tired of settling for crappy 2nd-4th round QB's, and drafting positions we don't need.

Since 1961, we've drafted TWO(2) first round quarterbacks, Tommy Kramer and Daunte Culpepper.

We have rarely really grown our own QB's. We either reach for late rounders, or sign old free agents to fill in for a few years. Some of our best QB's in Vikings history have been stop-gap players.

Looking at our performance, of players who have made an NFCC or better, 2/6 of them were first rounders, 3/6 were drafted in the first 32 picks
    Other than Tark, we have NEVER had a franchise QB. Culpepper was looking like the guy to maybe take us to the next level, but he just imploded.

Back to my point, I want a QB. I want us to try. If we miss, then we miss. It sucks, but I'd rather risk it than go for a 'sure thing injured player' who gets 16 sacks a year and finish 9-7 and miss the playoffs every year.

Great WR's are useless without a QB. Look at Fitzgerald. Arguably the best WR in the game right now. Why aren't the Cards winning? Because a great WR doesn't win championships. A great QB can win championships though.
    The truth is we haven't drafted a franchise QB any more than we have because we just don't finish with a bad enough record to be in a position to draft the real blue chipper sand the FO for decades has seemed content to rely on experience over youth.Since the mid 80's when we went 3-13 under Steckel, we have never finished worse than 5-11 and that was twice. Other than that we seem to be a 6-10 to 10-6 club for the most part with a few flyers thrown in there every half decade. That doesn't put us in a place to draft too many franchise QB's on the board as the BPA when we draft.In the times when we were in position we either had a QB already or there was a higher rated player at another position on the board.

One little thing though. We have drafted and developed several QB's that have been very good payers.

Wade Wilson
    Brad Johnson
    Tommy Kramer
    Rich Gannon.

Those guys were all drafted by the Vikings and every one of them made the pro bowl and two of them were SB participants with Brad winning one.

If you really want us to go after a top notch QB then you might want to look at tanking the franchise for 4-5 years to get the top pick in the draft and then building from there.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1094447

The truth is we haven't drafted a franchise QB any more than we have because we just don't finish with a bad enough record to be in a position to draft the real blue chipper sand the FO for decades has seemed content to rely on experience over youth.Since the mid 80's when we went 3-13 under Steckel, we have never finished worse than 5-11 and that was twice. Other than that we seem to be a 6-10 to 10-6 club for the most part with a few flyers thrown in there every half decade. That doesn't put us in a place to draft too many franchise QB's on the board as the BPA when we draft.In the times when we were in position we either had a QB already or there was a higher rated player at another position on the board.

One little thing though. We have drafted and developed several QB's that have been very good payers.

Wade Wilson
    Brad Johnson
    Tommy Kramer
    Rich Gannon.

Those guys were all drafted by the Vikings and every one of them made the pro bowl and two of them were SB participants with Brad winning one.

If you really want us to go after a top notch QB then you might want to look at tanking the franchise for 4-5 years to get the top pick in the draft and then building from there.

Trading up doesn't exist in your world?

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "kevoncox" #1094451

Wade Wilson
    Brad Johnson
    Tommy Kramer
    Rich Gannon.

Oh yeah, you could always trade all of your picks to move up I suppose. I believe the Saints did that to get Ricky Williams and that one really worked out well for them. Heck, we could even trade for one just like we did to get Herschel Walker ans that one put us over the top too.

How many picks are you willing to give up in order to move up to the top spot in the draft?

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

BPA Regardless of position, if they pick at 12.

I'd hate for them to reach for a QB at 12 who's slated to go late first or second round. If their hearts set at taking a QB in the first, trade up or down to make it happen where the player is worth the pick.

With FA not beginning until after the draft, we are in a bad situation. We certainly can't bank on getting a damn good QB out of this years QB FA pool and they certainly shouldn't be banking on getting McNabb or Kolb when they aren't even FA's.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1094458
    BPA Regardless of position, if they pick at 12.

I'd hate for them to reach for a QB at 12 who's slated to go late first or second round. If their hearts set at taking a QB in the first, trade up or down to make it happen where the player is worth the pick.

With FA not beginning until after the draft, we are in a bad situation. We certainly can't bank on getting a damn good QB out of this years QB FA pool and they certainly shouldn't be banking on getting McNabb or Kolb when they aren't even FA's.
    Our FO rarely drafts BPA... We draft for need. Sometimes that goes together but.... it's never purely BPA.

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1094455

Wade Wilson
    Brad Johnson
    Tommy Kramer
    Rich Gannon.

Oh yeah, you could always trade all of your picks to move up I suppose. I believe the Saints did that to get Ricky Williams and that one really worked out well for them. Heck, we could even trade for one just like we did to get Herschel Walker ans that one put us over the top too.

How many picks are you willing to give up in order to move up to the top spot in the draft?
    IN the 2009 Draft, I would have considered giving up Drafting Harvin and a 1st in 2010 to select Josh Freeman.

Chazz is offline Coordinator

If a QB is expected to go mid-late first round then we better draft at 12. New England owns the 17 pick and you can bet that any team that needs a QB will be willing to deal for that pick.

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1094455

Wade Wilson
    Brad Johnson
    Tommy Kramer
    Rich Gannon.

So you are of the belief the only way to trade into one of the top spots is to trade away all of your picks?
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast