Michael Silver's "From Bad to Worse"

From SI.com
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/michael_silver/03/22/bad.offseasons/index.html

Reactions to number 5 Vikings?

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Re: Michael Silver's "From Bad to Worse"

Just another bored football analyst desparate to fill his column quota, rather than reporting on something important or applicable.
    It usually serves as fodder for the naysayers who feel a single quote of some SI writer lends creedence to their argument, without weighing the purpose for which the column was read.
    Critical piece to citing sources:
    understand their bias or you look like as big a donkey as them.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

If Minnesota really wants to beef up its passing game, perhaps Wilf should pick up the phone and call Al Davis. I hear that for the right price, Randy Moss is available.
    : :

While he discussed Chicago's turmoil in it's front office dealings with coaches and Briggs, the author omits mentioning the departure of Tomlin from the Vikings.

He also discusses the 'high' salaries/ bonuses paid to Shiancoe and Wade, and Steinbach in Cleveland, but forgets to apply that analysis to other teams' spending spree which will yield a 'continuity problem' in the future when the escalated salary in later years of contracts forces those teams to purge some key players.

The Viking's use of bonuses paid up front in a year when the quality of the free agent pool is down, and salary cap room is up, will allow them to retain players for the duration of their contracts, yielding roster stability needed to remain competitive.
    This escapes the author, who is focused on the short term horizon of 2007 only.

When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Purplexing" wrote:
    While he discussed Chicago's turmoil in it's front office dealings with coaches and Briggs, the author omits mentioning the departure of Tomlin from the Vikings.

He also discusses the 'high' salaries/ bonuses paid to Shiancoe and Wade, and Steinbach in Cleveland, but forgets to apply that analysis to other teams' spending spree which will yield a 'continuity problem' in the future when the escalated salary in later years of contracts forces those teams to purge some key players.

The Viking's use of bonuses paid up front in a year when the quality of the free agent pool is down, and salary cap room is up, will allow them to retain players for the duration of their contracts, yielding roster stability needed to remain competitive.

Therein lies the rub
    :
    To many so called "Vikings Fans" that don't worry about the future, just want instant gratification, or in this case wins..... no matter what the cost.

It is a sad state of affairs my friend
    :'(
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

thepacksux is offline Asst. Coach

"Purplexing" wrote:

Not doubting you, but where did you find the contract structures for this years free agent crop?
    I have only seen their guaranteed salaries, which does not imply that they are all paid up front.
    They could be pro rated over the life of the contract or option bonuses in future years.

ESPN and NFL.com probably have lists of contracts.

I am going from memory of the exhorbitant contracts being signed by most free agents, despite a 'general lack' of top level talent this year.

Examples are OG Steinbach, $49+M, another OL whose name escapes me now $48+M, CBs getting $25M (Smoot), $30M, $35M.... Clements.... etc.

Not all of these players will play out their entire contract.
    Some will be cut before their last few year's salaries escalate out of control.

When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

thepacksux is offline Asst. Coach

"Purplexing" wrote:
    ESPN and NFL.com probably have lists of contracts.

I am going from memory of the exhorbitant contracts being signed by most free agents, despite a 'general lack' of top level talent this year.

Examples are OG Steinbach, $49+M, another OL whose name escapes me now $48+M, CBs getting $25M (Smoot), $30M, $35M.... Clements.... etc.

Not all of these players will play out their entire contract.
    Some will be cut before their last few year's salaries escalate out of control.

I know the basics of their (vikings FA's) deals, but they have not released, nor will they IMO, the actual structures of these deals (how much bonus in year one, two, etc.)
    I am assuming that they front loaded these contracts if we were indeed 30 million + under the cap to get to the minimum salary for the season.
    Kind of like what we did with winfields contract.

davike is offline Team Alumni

This guy has got to be one of the most depressing people on the planet

Thanks Josdin00 for the sig!