Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mel Kiper Gives Us A B+

Minnesota Vikings: GRADE: B+
    Vice president of player personnel Rick Spielman had an outstanding weekend.
    Somebody had to fall to the Vikings in the first round, and with Adrian Peterson, they got a potential franchise running back to go along with Chester Taylor.
    Sidney Rice -- who could have been a top-15 pick if he had returned for his senior season -- is a great value pick in the second round.
    If cornerback Marcus McCauley plays the way he did as a junior, the Vikings got a great player in the third round.
    If McCauley plays like he did in 2006, he'll struggle to make the team.
    Brian Robison is a pass-rushing defensive end and a very good Day 2 selection.
    Robison also will contribute on special teams.
    Wide receiver Aundrae Allison spent time on the Big Board in 2006 and was a good pick in the fifth round; Rufus Alexander was a solid sixth-round pick; and Tyler Thigpen is more of a developmental, third-string quarterback
    B+ was the highest grade Kiper gave.
    Only us, the Cleveland Browns, and the San Francisco 49ers received a B+.

Here is what he had to say about our division rivals:

Chicago Bears: GRADE: B
    The Bears didn't expect Greg Olsen to be available that late in the first round; he'll give Rex Grossman a solid pass-catching tight end.
    Defensive end Dan Bazuin is perfect for the Bears' scheme.
    Garrett Wolfe showed he could catch the ball during his workouts and has the potential to be a good returner even though he wasn't asked to return kicks in college.
    Wolfe will be a good change-of-pace running back and potentially could be a very valuable part of this organization.
    Michael Okwo is undersized for a linebacker, but he runs well and is a smart player.
    In the fourth round, Chicago got really good value in Josh Beekman.
    He can play center but will be a guard on this offensive line.
    Kevin Payne is a versatile safety who makes plays and was a good fifth-round pick; Corey Graham will fight for a roster spot at cornerback and on special teams.
    Cornerback Trumaine McBride is a marginal prospect.
    Detroit Lions: GRADE: C
    It would have been tough to pass on Calvin Johnson, the best prospect in the draft.
    Drew Stanton will be measured against Brady Quinn because the Lions could have taken the Notre Dame QB.
    Stanton could be a decent starter, but he does not have a lot of upside.
    Ikaika Alma-Francis is a very good, but very raw, defensive end.
    Alma-Francis has a lot of talent and potential, and a lot of teams had a high opinion of him.
    Safety Gerald Alexander was a reach in the second round; A. J.
    Davis could be a good nickel or dime cornerback; Manuel Ramirez was a nice fourth-round pick who will be a starting guard in the NFL; and Johnny Baldwin was a good small-school linebacker at Alabama A&M who will be a good backup and special-teams player.
    Green Bay Packers: GRADE: C+
    Defensive tackle Justin Harrell didn't fill need, but the Packers chose the best available player over need.
    Harrell was hurt most of his senior season, but that didn't hurt his stock much.
    RB Brandon Jackson, if he can build on his strong finish to 2006, has a chance to be Green Bay's starting running back.
    James Jones was a decent third-round pick, a good wide receiver with natural receiving skills; safety Aaron Rouse is just an OK third-round pick; offensive tackle Allen Barbre is a bit overrated because he doesn't play as well as he tested during workouts.
    WR David Clowney has a lot of speed, and inside linebackers Korey Hall and Desmond Bishop should make it in the NFL as backups.
    Place-kicker Mason Crosby was a really good find in the sixth round.
    He has a great leg and has kicked in all kinds of weather playing at Colorado and in the Big 12.
    Crosby is not a product of the altitude in Colorado.
    I also liked the Packers' seventh-round picks: RB Deshawn Wynn from Florida and Rutgers tight end Clark Harris.
    SKOL VIKES!

baumy300 is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Mel Kiper Gives Us A B+

It's no secret we drafted well. Good to see us getting some recognition.

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

As we know we'll have to wait a few years to really evaluate it, but it seems like Spielmans critics were a bit off the mark (that means you Proph). I liked the way he handled our draft, based on the moves we made, the apparent talent we got, and the interviews he made about how he came to do things the way it played out.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

"cogitans" wrote:
    As we know we'll have to wait a few years to really evaluate it, but it seems like Spielmans critics were a bit off the mark (that means you Proph). I liked the way he handled our draft, based on the moves we made, the apparent talent we got, and the interviews he made about how he came to do things the way it played out.
    I dont give a Ratz you know what about Mel's ranking.

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

"VIKINGinGEORGIA" wrote:
    "cogitans" wrote:
    I dont give a Ratz you know what about Mel's ranking.
    So why are you quoting me on that?

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Our ranking is an A+.
    No doubt about it. I have hope for the VIKES future.
    We have a young team, a group of guys that could grow together. Solid line, Great Backs are most important to a young Qbs success. Hopefully, RICE will push TWILL. Cant wait to beat the FALCONS.

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

we made some realllllly smart picks, so far at least as i'm reading..

i like the fact that Bchill is getting more solid in his team, i like the fact we are moving foward win an offence.. the best though..

is that we have a dynomatic shizzimomatic tandem that will just law D's out!!!

i heard a kid say those words this morning and i can't get um outta my head!!

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Can't find to much bad about our draft.
    Overall, sports writers appear to be as happy as I am.

Fox had us 4 out of top 5.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6757084

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...rt.card/2.html

Dr Z said,
    VIKINGS -- B
    If Adrian Peterson's collarbone really is fine, then the seventh spot was a good place for the Vikes to land him. If it isn't, then I'll publish a retraction and a new grade when the time comes. I'm not betting this one either way, but what gives Minnesota its mark is the dedicated upgrade in speed from this draft. WRs Sidney Rice and Aundrae Allison, CB Marcus McCauley, even DE Brian Robison are all athletically gifted speedsters, and that includes Peterson. I'll put this bunch up against anyone in an NFL sprint relay.
    For us Fantasy Football Junkies

http://www.nfl.com/fantasy/story/10158835

MINNESOTA VIKINGS
    The addition of Adrian Peterson had an immense impact on the world of fantasy football, as Chester Taylor sinks from a solid No. 2 back to more of a third runner or flex starter. Taylor remains the favorite to start, but Peterson will see more than his share of carries and is also a viable No. 3 fantasy back. Sidney Rice will have a chance to start for head coach Brad Childress and will be worth a late-round flier as a No. 5 wideout if he lands a prominent role in the offense
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

He was very generous with the Pukers!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

PacMan21 is offline Starter

I don't pay attention to Kiper, he gave us an A+ in 2004 (Udeze, Thomas, MeMo, etc.) and that is far from it.

I'm happy that we're getting recognized for having a great draft (which I also think we did), but Kiper doesn't have a lot of credibility in my eyes anymore.

It's still nice to see though.

Thanks for the sig PurplePeopleEaters

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast