Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Medical Risks For Vikings Interests

Medical Risks for Vikings Interests

Date: Apr 27, 2006

The Vikings have visited with a few first- and second-round draft prospects that should be considered medical risks. In fact, giving those players a physical could be one reason they were brought in. Some showed no ill effects from past injuries while others could be red-flagged. Scout.com lists the players and the potential risks involved in selecting them.

Each year, there are players who have various issues coming in to the NFL Draft. Scout.com outlined the players who had character issues last week and this week we'll take a look at some who have some medical issues in this update:

Charlie Whitehurst/QB/Clemson - He had shoulder surgery late in 2005. Whitehurst looked good in private workouts for teams and hasn't had any problems passing physicals. He visited Winter Park on April 12 and is considered a draft target of the Vikings if they don’t get Jay Cutler in the first round.

Ernie Sims/LB/Florida St. - It's no secret that he had some concussion issues in the past but Scout.com has learned he had suffered six concussions in his playing career, and one of them knocked him unconscious. While Sims seems like a rising prospect, in actuality, he could drop quite a bit on draft day. The Vikings didn’t visit with Sims, but, if it weren’t for his history of concussions, he would seem to be a perfect fit in the Vikings’ new Tampa-2 defensive scheme. It relies on speedy linebackers and Sims fits that bill.

Jason Allen/CB-S/Tennessee - He suffered a hip injury last October that, despite a solid workout at the NFL Combine, has teams very concerned. Two teams that Scout.com talked to this week said they took Allen off of their draft board because of long-term concerns of his injured hip. Allen visited Winter Park on April 11.

Antonio Cromartie/CB/Florida St. - Cromartie missed the entire 2005 season due to a knee injury, but that doesn't seem to have been an issue as he's been passing team physicals throughout the league. The Vikings are thought to be in the market for a defensive back, having visited with several cornerbacks and safeties, and Cromartie was one of them.

Eric Winston/OT/Miami-Fla. - He suffered a knee injury during the 2004 season but hasn't had any problems passing team physicals.

Marcus McNeill/OT/Auburn - He has been diagnosed with Stenosis, which is defined as the narrowing of the spine. While he certainly can play with the condition, teams are concerned with the long-term affects, which is why many see him falling out of the first round.

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

Re: Medical Risks For Vikings Interests

Sims and Whitehurst are probably the only 2 guys on that list that we might take. Thanks for the link.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

"DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:
    Sims and Whitehurst are probably the only 2 guys on that list that we might take. Thanks for the link.

We will probably not even take them, but thought I would post it anyways..

Json is offline GM

I personally don't like the idea of taking Sims. He left college early to make NFL money before the concussions took to big of a toll on him. He is still young and has already has 6 of them. PASS!

collegeguyjeff is offline Hall of Famer

the vikings only have players visit that they arn't sure about. last year they didn't have williamson visit and he's the guy they wanted. this article don't mean jack squat, they just want to see what these players have wrong with them and see where they fit in the draft and the amount of risk; it in no way shows they are players we will draft.
    I don t buy Wisconsin cheese.

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

ive had 5 concussions myself, and after the first, the others come alot easier..i think this would be enough to classify sims as a major risk
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I'm surprised this issue of concussions with Sims wasn't highlighted since early this year. It only seems to be the last 10 days or so that this has been flagged up as an issue on the various draft sites and articles.
    Based on what I have been hearing I'm not that keen on taking him at the moment, will be interesting to see what the Vikes medical staff have to say on the issue.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

collegeguyjeff is offline Hall of Famer

concussions reminds me of another ronall smith, if sims was a receiver concussions probably wouldn't be as big of a deal but he will constantly be in contact and his head will get hit a lot and he will get more concussions. heck they even ended steve youngs career
    I don t buy Wisconsin cheese.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

I think I'd rather have Greenway than Sims just because of the concussion problem with Sims.

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

"olson_10" wrote:
    ive had 5 concussions myself, and after the first, the others come alot easier..i think this would be enough to classify sims as a major risk
    Ive had a few myself also, the msot recent my senior year when iw as knocked out, that was my 4th and the doctor advised me to give it up because i could seriously injure myself if they kept coming.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast