Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

McMahon as Vikes back-up QB?

It's being reported that the Eagles are trying to sign Garcia as their back-up QB and that means that Koy Detmer and Mike McMahon will be gone. With Childress familiar with both of them there may be a good chance one of them may be coming to the Vikes.
    Here's the link and article:
    http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/99-03042006-621347.html

[size=18px]Report: Eagles to sign Garcia[/size]

By REUBEN FRANK
    phillyBurbs.com

The Eagles plan to sign free agent quarterback Jeff Garcia and release backup quarterbacks Koy Detmer and Mike McMahon, Comcast SportsNet reported last night quoting team sources.

Garcia, who played for new Eagles offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg during his record-setting 2000 season with the 49ers, will be joining his fourth team in four years. He spent his first five NFL seasons with the 49ers before single years with the Browns and Lions.

Garcia owns the 13th-highest passer rating in NFL history at 85.8. He will back up Donovan McNabb, who is 20th in NFL history with an 84.1 rating. He went to three Pro Bowls with the 49ers. His 4,278 passing yards and 32 TD passes in 2000 both set franchise records.

McNabb and Garcia have more than record-setting passing performances and Pro Bowls in common - both were blasted by teammate Terrell Owens, whose days with the Eagles are expected to end imminently.

If the Eagles sign Garcia on Monday, the expected first day of free agency, he could technically be Owens' teammate for one day. The Eagles owe Owens $7.5 million on Tuesday.

Garcia, 35, would replace McMahon, who was awful last year in seven starts after McMabb's season ended with a sports hernia. McMahon completed just 45 percent of his passes, the lowest completion percentage by an NFL starting quarterback in seven years.

Detmer ended last year ranked third in the NFL in seniority with his current among all league quarterbacks, behind only Brett Favre and Steve McNair. But in two late-season games in which he got to play a lot - against the Seahawks and Redskins - he performed very poorly, with three interceptions and no touchdowns.

Only two quarterbacks in franchise history - Randall Cunningham and Ron Jaworski - have been with the Eagles longer than Detmer, who was drafted in 1997.

Comcast also reported that the Eagles may bring back linebacker Shawn Barber, released earlier this week by the Chiefs. Barber, 31, spent two injury-plagued seasons with the Chiefs after playing well for the Eagles in 2003.

League and union officials negotiated through the day yesterday and according to published reports were making progress toward a new collective bargaining agreement to go into effect following the 2006 season.

Free agency, originally scheduled to begin just after midnight yesterday morning, is now scheduled to begin just after midnight on Monday.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

KRob18 is offline Rookie

Re: McMahon as Vikes back-up QB?

No

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

garcia is not quite good enough to start so a backup job on eagles should be a nice place for him. no TO so he will be happy.
    We're bringing purple back.

scottishvike is offline Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries

Heck for a minute I was thinking it was Jim McMahon you were talking about, come to think of it he's probably younger now than Vinnie was last year! :grin:

KJ
    KJ is offline Pro-Bowler

Hell no!

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

He was terrible when I watched him last year.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

mr.woo is offline Team Alumni

how bout not and say we didnt
    woo out
    just two corn cobs shy of a bushel

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

If this is the case, I would say wait until Gus Ferotte gets cut by Miami and resign him as a backup.. McMahon and Detmer both blow.. I wouldn't want either on the Vikes..

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

and fyi, we already have a backup qb. his name is brad johnson.
    We're bringing purple back.

JDante is offline Rookie

"gregair13" wrote:
    and fyi, we already have a backup qb. his name is brad johnson.
    but i tihnk the thing here is if we dont keep cpep and bj starts and gets injured, they are hoping we have a nice backup anywayz. i dont see that happenin but i can understand where this is comin from.
    Yea.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast