Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

McGinist is available

Patriots reportedly cut McGinist
    I for one would love to have this guy. We're not on the list of people that are reportedly interested, but we'd be stupid not to take a stab at him.

vikeswin2005 is offline Hall of Famer

Re: McGinist is available

I was just going to post this i would love to have him he is a leader

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

I agree.

I think we should take a look at him. Good player coming from a good system. He may want to shed the stigma that he is only good as a Patriot.

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

I would take him of resign Johnstone both are great situational pass rushers that come off of the edge very well.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

He is 34-years-old and played 12 seasons.
    I'm becoming confused. First we say we want to bring in young talent and build for the future and in the next breath we are looking at a 12 year vet.
    I realize he WAS good and still may have a season left in him but I guess I'd rather look at the long haul.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    I'm becoming confused. First we say we want to bring in young talent and build for the future and in the next breath we are looking at a 12 year vet.
    I realize he WAS good and still may have a season left in him but I guess I'd rather look at the long haul.
    That is true but he may be a good situational pass rusher much like the role that Lance Johnstone filled the last couple of years and I am up for adding McGinest or re-signing Johnstone.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    With a buttload of cash can't we do both?

The long haul could be shortened and we could make a run this year. Gotta concentrate on winning season to season; not in 2009.

Young guys are plentiful; good veterans are not.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    That is true but he may be a good situational pass rusher much like the role that Lance Johnstone filled the last couple of years and I am up for adding McGinest of resigning Johnstone.
    We can only have so many old guys on the team. I think that is why the teams like the Pats and others have been letting these old guys go. We can add a couple guys like this, not opposed to Big Willie, just concerned about possibly a lack of a youth movement on our team.

On the Pats, if they keep him, it poses a difficult question as to how much you play him, if you cut him you don't have to deal with that and what the fans think about his reduced time and what not. If he is cut and picked up by another team, it is easier for him to understand that he is now a role player.

Someone should get a good year or two out of Big Willie.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"triedandtruevikesfan" wrote:
    Patriots reportedly cut McGinist
    I for one would love to have this guy. We're not on the list of people that are reportedly interested, but we'd be stupid not to take a stab at him.
    With all the cap room that we have, we need to look at ALL options...but we need to be careful that we properly evaluate how each player fits into what we are trying to do. McGinest would be a good influence on our young DEs, BUT I think that Lance Johnstone does just as good a job and will probably re-sign for much less than McGinest will command on the open market. We gotta consider him though.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

Am I missing something here?

Willie McGinest
    Linebacker
    New England Patriots

Why would signing a linebacker affect the ability to play johnstone? Why would he be more of an influence on our your DEs than on our young LBs? If I remember correctly, the Patriots run a 3-4, so maybe he played up on the line (which would explain his sack totals), but he's still a LB, not a DE. As such, and I do need to do some more research to validate this stuff, but if he did play up on the line, well, that's not really the type of play you're looking for in a cover-2 linebacker, is it? It seems you'd need a guy who has experiance dropping back into coverage. Like I said, I need to do some more research. McGinest may have that experiance.

However, I was getting the impression from this thread so far that he was a DE, and I was getting confused.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast