Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Prophet Guest

Re: Maybe Nall Isn't So Bad Afterall...

Nall may be a hidden gem on the cheap. He was the NFLE's leading passer in '03 with a league high 95.9 passer rating. Click here or click here for some more info. on him. In 2004 he had a 139.4 QB rating during the few games that he played in. Could be looked at as less risk than a rookie.

Prophet Guest

Potential backup quarterbacks begin visiting Winter Park
    Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune
    Last update: March 13, 2006 – 11:56 PM
    Link

Although quarterback Daunte Culpepper remained in place another day, the Vikings began preparing Monday for a roster without him. Free-agent quarterback Craig Nall visited Winter Park, the first of perhaps several candidates to back up ostensible starter Brad Johnson if and when Culpepper is traded.

Nall, who spent the past four seasons as Green Bay's No. 3 quarterback, is looking for a surefire No. 2 role while Packers starter Brett Favre mulls retirement. Agent Robb Nelson said the Vikings briefly discussed contract figures, but it seems unlikely Nall or any other No. 2 candidate would sign until Culpepper's situation is resolved.

"We need to see what's going to happen there," Nelson said.

Nall said if he is destined to remain a No. 3 quarterback, he likely will return to Green Bay. "I think the main thing is to try to put myself in the best situation possible to hopefully within the next couple of years get some kind of playing time," Nall said. "It has been pretty rough."

Meanwhile, the Vikings appeared to be awaiting the resolution of free agent Drew Brees' status before making a final move on Culpepper. Brees was negotiating Monday with Miami and New Orleans amid indications he will sign as early as today.

If he signs with the Saints, Miami could make a move to trade for Culpepper. Tennessee and Oakland also have been mentioned as possibilities, but according to the Tennessean newspaper, the Titans do not think Culpepper wants to play for them. The Raiders, who released starter Kerry Collins last week, do not have an established starter.

It is believed that Culpepper's $6 million roster bonus is not due until March 24, two weeks after the start of free agency.

Hutchinson update

Seattle gave no indication Monday whether it planned to match the seven-year, $49 million offer sheet the Vikings signed guard Steve Hutchinson. The contract includes $16 million in guaranteed money and will count at least $13 million against the 2006 salary cap.

And according to a report on NFL.com, that $13 million is not the only hurdle the Seahawks must leap to match the offer. According to the report, matching the contract would require Seattle to guarantee all $49 million of the deal, an unprecedented contract stipulation.

The clause is triggered if Hutchinson is not the highest-paid offensive lineman on the roster. Seattle already is paying left tackle Walter Jones more than Hutchinson's $7 million annual average.

Safety dance

Free-agent safety Dexter Jackson canceled his scheduled visit to Winter Park after agreeing to a four-year, $7.6 million contract with Cincinnati. The Super Bowl MVP with Tampa Bay in January 2003 was one of several safeties the Vikings were considering to replace Corey Chavous, who signed with St. Louis on Saturday.

Baltimore safety Will Demps is scheduled to visit the Vikings today.

Etc.

• Green Bay fullback William Henderson could visit Winter Park later this week, the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reported.

• Free-agent offensive lineman Toniu Fonoti is discussing contract terms with Oakland.

Staff writer Judd Zulgad contributed to this report.

==================================================

Vikings look beyond Daunte
    Green Bay's Nall visits as part of QB replacement effort
    BY SEAN JENSEN
    Pioneer Press
    Link

Although they still haven't traded Daunte Culpepper, the Vikings took the first step toward moving on.

The Vikings met with Craig Nall, the Green Bay Packers' third-string quarterback, as a potential backup to Brad Johnson.
    Given the uncertainty at the position, Nall was leery of his visit with the Vikings.

But just before leaving Winter Park for the airport Monday evening, Nall and his wife, Amanda, felt better about their Vikings prospects.

"We had reservations about coming here," Nall said, citing the hostility of the Vikings-Packers border battles. "But being here and meeting the people and finding out the direction of this organization, we have been very impressed."

Still, Nall left without a deal.

That's because the quarterback situation remains unresolved, with Culpepper still on the roster. The Miami Dolphins, who had expressed the most interest in Culpepper, were still meeting with San Diego Chargers quarterback Drew Brees when this edition went to press.

The Oakland Raiders could be interested in Culpepper if the Vikings lower their asking price of a second-round draft pick. The Detroit Lions and New Orleans Saints also are looking to improve at quarterback. The Vikings continue to shop the disgruntled Culpepper but haven't found a trade partner.

Some teams expect the Vikings to release Culpepper before March 25, when he is due a $6 million roster bonus — one of the sticking points to a potential trade.

"I still don't know if this is the right situation," Nall said. "Is Daunte going to come back or not? Who knows? It wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to come in and sign a contract, and then Daunte comes back. Then you've got Brad (Johnson) and Daunte playing, and I'm No. 3 again. I might as well just stay in Green Bay if that's the case."

Nall and his agent, Robb Nelson, said they have no timetable on a decision, although a contract with the Vikings was discussed Monday. But Nelson said his client is expected to get an offer from the Packers.

Nall doesn't want to be the third quarterback anymore. With Brett Favre's future unclear in Green Bay, Nall again would be projected as the third-stringer there because the Packers drafted Aaron Rodgers in the first round last season.

"I'm not saying I'm trying to find a starting job," Nall said, "but to have an opportunity to be the No. 2 guy, in case something does happen (to the starter). I want to be active for every game."

In four seasons with the Packers, Nall has been active for six games, with no starts. He played in five games in 2004 and completed 23 of 33 passes for 314 yards and four touchdowns, his total production in the NFL.
    "It's been kind of tough on me, sitting back and being the No. 3 guy the last four years," Nall said. "I feel I do have the ability to play in this league."

That is why he isn't ruling out places outside of Minnesota and Wisconsin.
    "I'm not going to sit here and put all my money on them making a certain decision," he said, meaning the Vikings and Packers, "when there's opportunities possibly elsewhere."

Nall was invited to Winter Park because of new offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell, who was the Packers' quarterbacks coach from 2003-05.
    "It would be cool to continue to work with him," Nall said of Bevell. "He's a great coach, and he's helped me stay in the league the last four years."
    That the Vikings visited with Nall isn't a strong endorsement for the only other quarterback on their roster, J.T. O'Sullivan, the odd man out last year in Green Bay. O'Sullivan, signed off the Chicago Bears' practice squad last November, finished the season as the Vikings' third quarterback.

Josh McCown and Brian Griese are among the relatively young quarterbacks available. The Vikings could decide to use a draft pick after the first round on a quarterback. After Matt Leinart, Vince Young and Jay Cutler, the Vikings could choose from players such as Omar Jacobs (Bowling Green), Brodie Croyle (Alabama) and Charlie Whitehurst (Clemson).

Sean Jensen can be reached at [email protected]

Prophet Guest

KFFL
    Vikings | Team discusses contract with Nall; but he's waiting to make a decision
    Tue, 14 Mar 2006 05:44:14 -0800

Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, reports free agent QB Craig Nall (Packers) and his agent, Robb Nelson, said they have no timetable on a decision, although a contract with the Minnesota Vikings was discussed Monday, March 13. Nelson said his client is also expected to get an offer from the Packers. Nall doesn't want to be the third quarterback anymore. "I'm not saying I'm trying to find a starting job," Nall said, "but to have an opportunity to be the No. 2 guy, in case something does happen (to the starter). I want to be active for every game." The uncertain futures of QBs Brett Favre in Green Bay and Daunte Culpepper in Minnesota mean Nall will take his time making a decision.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Nall was invited to Winter Park because of new offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell, who was the Packers' quarterbacks coach from 2003-05.
    "It would be cool to continue to work with him," Nall said of Bevell. "He's a great coach, and he's helped me stay in the league the last four years."
    This quote by Nall and many other quotes from other players who have signed shows me that we have a very nice coaching staff in place under Childress. Super Bowl this year -- probably not but I think it's in the not too distant future. As soon as we can get the QB issue settled and move on with a couple of more players I think we are set. I'm looking for some surprises in the draft depending on the QB issue.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

DCPologirl is offline Team Alumni

So we're not going to keep Fonoti? That's very disappointing.

DCPologirl:Maybe Randy will make Aaron Brooks look better......roflmao Del Rio: I guarantee he will

BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni

I like this pickup. It's the second-best acquisition we've made so far this offseason.

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

Prophet Guest

KFFL
    Bills | Team agrees to terms with Nall
    Sun, 19 Mar 2006 21:53:43 -0800

Tom Silverstein, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, reports the Buffalo Bills have agreed to terms with free agent QB Craig Nall (Packers) on a three-year contract. Financial terms were not released. In Buffalo, Nall will be behind QB J.P. Losman, who was supposed to be the team's franchise quarterback, and QB Kelly Holcomb. However, it's thought the Bills could part with one of the two quarterbacks and Nall will have a chance to fight for the starting job this summer.

============================

KFFL
    Titans | Team to meet with Cutler March 20
    Sun, 19 Mar 2006 22:32:24 -0800

The Nashville City Paper reports the Tennessee Titans will meet with Vanderbilt QB Jay Cutler Monday, March 20. He will spend the entire day with the Titans coaches and staff in a get-to-know interview where the sides can get together and talk football and further evaluate Cutler. The main question regarding the Titans and Cutler is whether or not they value him the same way many suspect they do USC QB Matt Leinart or Texas QB Vince Young in that No. 3 draft spot. General manager Floyd Reese said: "I think it depends on which club you talk to. There are 32 clubs, and I think they all have different ideas. But I can't imagine too many quarterbacks performing better than he did (Friday at his Pro Day)."

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234