Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    bsmithberkley is offline Pro-Bowler

Re:Maybe it's too early...but...

BloodyHorns82 wrote:
    I expect to see less of the Wildcat this year. Not just with the Vikings but across the NFL in general. Maybe they will continue to tweak it but I just don't see it making or breaking any games, despite who is playing "Superback".

That being said I am excited to see Webb get some action on the field. Given the current corps of WR on the team and the QB (assuming it's Favre) it might be tough for Webb to see much play time at all in 2010...assuming he makes the team of course, and not the PS.
    The Wildcat is more about making the other team prepare for it and dilute their practice time than anything else. If we used it last year without a "superback" then I think we use it a little more this year.

In big games you don't even have to use it for it to be effective!

I could see us "developing" the Wildcat in wins during junk time and only bringing it out rarely in tight games to establish the "credible threat".

It's a really an elegant tactic, especially when you have a "superback" that has good QB skills and can run the ball.

FYI...Seneca Wallace averaged 6.7 yds/carry in the Wildcat last year and Josh Cribbs averaged 6.9 yds/carry. More teams are using the Wildact and they are being successful.

It's still not so wide spread that you can't take advantage.
    None

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Gimmick plays are for crappy teams with no talent like the Dolphins. Real teams with good WRs, the best RB around, and a nice QB does not need gimmicks.
    We're bringing purple back.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

bsmithberkley wrote:
    BloodyHorns82 wrote:
    I expect to see less of the Wildcat this year. Not just with the Vikings but across the NFL in general. Maybe they will continue to tweak it but I just don't see it making or breaking any games, despite who is playing "Superback".

That being said I am excited to see Webb get some action on the field. Given the current corps of WR on the team and the QB (assuming it's Favre) it might be tough for Webb to see much play time at all in 2010...assuming he makes the team of course, and not the PS.
    The Wildcat is more about making the other team prepare for it and dilute their practice time than anything else. If we used it last year without a "superback" then I think we use it a little more this year.

In big games you don't even have to use it for it to be effective!

I could see us "developing" the Wildcat in wins during junk time and only bringing it out rarely in tight games to establish the "credible threat".

It's a really an elegant tactic, especially when you have a "superback" that has good QB skills and can run the ball.

FYI...Seneca Wallace averaged 6.7 yds/carry in the Wildcat last year and Josh Cribbs averaged 6.9 yds/carry. More teams are using the Wildact and they are being successful.

It's still not so wide spread that you can't take advantage.
    I would agree with you to a point my friend, however, now that we see it a bit more out of teams, it really isn't a novelty anymore and most D-coords know how to deal with it.

In short, I don't think it takes up to much practice time anymore.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

gregair13 wrote:
    Gimmick plays are for crappy teams with no talent like the Dolphins. Real teams with good WRs, the best RB around, and a nice QB does not need gimmicks.
    [strike]Well said[/strike]Adequately articulated my friend.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12