Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    bsmithberkley is offline Pro-Bowler

Maybe it's too early...but...

...I really like the vibe I am getting out of training camp regarding Joe Webb at QB. I am not looking for him to take Jackson's spot as the number 2 QB, but, in his first year I think he brings a lot to the wildcat formation.

Last year we installed several Wildcat plays when we added Percy Harvin. These plays placed Harvin as the Superback and at the HB position responsible for running the "jet sweep" to initiate the play.

While Harvin is ideally suited and had a lot of experience being the "jet sweep" HB in college he was not ideally suited for the superback position.

Despite Harvin not being the ideal superback the Vikings installed several plays and tried them out with moderate success.

The Vikings took a shot at the Wildcat last year and stuck mostly with what worked for them, the Wildcat did not become a credible threat in their arsenal.

Now it's 2010 and we draft Joe Webb who impresses Vikings coaches enough to get QB reps at OTAs. Joe Webb may also be the ideal candidate for Superback in the Wildcat system.

If we took a shot at the Wildcat with just Percy in the talent pool, wouldn't we be even more inclined to try it out again with Joe Webb on the team?

While I still want Joe Webb to see snaps at WR, if he is going to run the Wildcat for us he has to get those reps in during OTA's/Camp/Pre-season. He can develop his WR skills independent of those activities and throughout the season.

So, is it too early to think this way?
    None

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Re:Maybe it's too early...but...

Of course its not to early. From what we've been hearing Webb is an athletic freak (as seen on youtube) and has good arm strength and accuracy. If Webb can leave up to the hype (if you can call it that) then he and ap/harvin/gerhart in the backfield with shank rice and berrian wide would be a lethal combination.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

I think he's a waste of athleticism as a QB in our system.

This isn't the spread-option.

A 6'4"(a height I now accept) 220 pound, 4.4 running, 10.75 inch handed, 21 repping, freakish jumper should be playing WR for us. He has experience at both positions, and I'd hate to see that physical ability go to waste as a pocket passer.

It's hard to say we're running out of room for great athletes, but we might be. At the WR position we have Rice, Harvin, and Berrian. If Webb learns the position and excels, we have an odd man out, probably Berrian.

We have 3 QBs with starting experience on the roster already, but at the same time we have some serious talent at WR... I think he just fits there better, at least in our system at the moment.

Mr Anderson wrote:

A 6'4"(a height I now accept) 220 pound, 4.4 running, 10.75 inch handed, 21 repping, freakish jumper should be playing WR for us. He has experience at both positions, and I'd hate to see that physical ability go to waste as a pocket passer.

It's hard to say we're running out of room for great athletes, but we might be. At the WR position we have Rice, Harvin, and Berrian. If Webb learns the position and excels, we have an odd man out, probably Berrian.

We have 3 QBs with starting experience on the roster already, but at the same time we have some serious talent at WR... I think he just fits there better, at least in our system at the moment.
    I am not saying I want Webb at Wildcat QB exclusively, I still want to see him at WR myself because his athleticism is a perfect match for that position.

I guess another way at saying this is, if we run a Wildcat play again,(and we probably will), Webb is by far a better candidate for Superback than Harvin. And it would allow Harvin to be the "Jet Sweep HB" he is best suited for.

It may just be a given that Webb is the Wildcat QB/Superback when I think about it that way.

I will reserve judgement on Webb as a pocket passer for a couple years...I just want him to add some effectiveness to the Wildcat when we run it.

As for great athletes, I put Webb and Harvin in that category, but Rice is borderline and Berrian is an Average NFL athlete at WR (below average if he doesn't get his speed back). If Webb progresses he is very likely to push Berrian out of the rotation in two years.
    None

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

bsmithberkley wrote:
    Mr Anderson wrote:

I am not saying I want Webb at Wildcat QB exclusively, I still want to see him at WR myself because his athleticism is a perfect match for that position.

I guess another way at saying this is, if we run a Wildcat play again,(and we probably will), Webb is by far a better candidate for Superback than Harvin. And it would allow Harvin to be the "Jet Sweep HB" he is best suited for.

It may just be a given that Webb is the Wildcat QB/Superback when I think about it that way.

I will reserve judgement on Webb as a pocket passer for a couple years...I just want him to add some effectiveness to the Wildcat when we run it.

As for great athletes, I put Webb and Harvin in that category, but Rice is borderline and Berrian is an Average NFL athlete at WR (below average if he doesn't get his speed back). If Webb progresses he is very likely to push Berrian out of the rotation in two years.
    I understand what you mean now. I just don't want the guy taking too much practice time at QB or for us to think of him as a QB who can play wideout, rather the other way around. He needs to learn to play WR in the NFL, with his throwing ability as a secondary threat.

And I wasn't really trying to call Berrian and Rice great athletes, although I can see how it came off that way, I was just trying to say that athleticism alone may not get you into the rotation, as we have good players there. But I do think Rice is a great athlete, his coordination, body control, instincts, and leaping ability more than make up for his lack of elite speed.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Just play football. Enough with the gimmick crap plays.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Marrdro wrote:

The Wildcat played with a Quarterback like Webb is the old "single wing" formation. Back when football was played by real men who didn't wear helmets with mouthgaurds.

Its true smashmouth football at its best. How can you be down on that?
    None

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

bsmithberkley wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:

The Wildcat played with a Quarterback like Webb is the old "single wing" formation. Back when football was played by real men who didn't wear helmets with mouthgaurds.

I don't think what we saw out of the Vikes and thier "Wildcat" could be considered anything close to that style of play my friend.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Marrdro wrote:
    bsmithberkley wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:

I don't think what we saw out of the Vikes and thier "Wildcat" could be considered anything close to that style of play my friend.
    Well, now that we have Webb it should get interesting...
    None

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

I expect to see less of the Wildcat this year. Not just with the Vikings but across the NFL in general. Maybe they will continue to tweak it but I just don't see it making or breaking any games, despite who is playing "Superback".

That being said I am excited to see Webb get some action on the field. Given the current corps of WR on the team and the QB (assuming it's Favre) it might be tough for Webb to see much play time at all in 2010...assuming he makes the team of course, and not the PS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast