Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni

Re: Marrdro's Roster Analysis

Once again Marr....you put together an excellent analysis

Let me toss in my 2 cents

Our 1st round choice will be a best player available between DE and secondary.
    We may trade the pick down a couple of spots if we think the player we want will still be there in order to maybe score an extra pick.

Our 2nd round pick may be the flip of our first rounder....meaning if 1st rounder is DE, we will go safety in 2nd, and vice versa

I really dont think we take a RB at all with the additon of Mo Hicks

3rd round belongs to the offensive line....just not sure.
    My guess is a cross between best player available/able to play other positions.

I love draft day more than free agency

vikesfan713 is offline Rookie

They need to trade a third to dolphins for taylor and i would love to see kenny phillips in 1st or DE from florida------I see them taking flacco or Brohm if he drops, If neither are there I would be content with Woodson in 4th range or Brennan in 6th.

vikesfan713 is offline Rookie

What a deal Javon Walker got with Oakand 6yr 55million makes our deal to BB look pretty good.
    All need is some for our left side of our D Line

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"ThorSPL" wrote:
    I'm pretty convinced they draft a QB by round 5 or 6 this year...

I'd write more, but I can't right now!
    The thing of it is, after round 3a and 3b we really will be drafting BPA.

They have pretty decent starters and in most cases, good backups at most positions this year.
    The guys drafted this year will be mostly just backups/ST teams kindof guys that will eventually grown into replacements for aging bets (i.e. Sharper/Phat Pat etc).

Gonna be real hard to guess at the later rounds this year but I think the team is sitting pretty good going into this draft.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"jargomcfargo" wrote:
    Just a quick weigh in on Birk. I don't worry about the mental mistakes eg. blown line calls/blitz pick ups. He'll fix that.
    He was pushed around at times by some big tackles. But he also had some very good games. The Atlanta game was an all pro type performance. And he had some good downfield/second level work that helped Peterson and Taylor.
    He may not be as dominant as he once was. But he's still pretty good.
    Thats why it is important to address backup guys this year for aging vets like Birk, Phat Pat, Sharper.
    Get some young kids that can learn behind them for a year or two so when they leave there isn't a big drop off in production.

Lord knows we've seen enough kids learning on the fly the last 2 years.

Excellent post my freind.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"purplepat" wrote:
    Gosh, I don't have any organized thoughts, so I guess I'll just have to ramble...

You need to highlight spot #53 in red (Open Roster Spot)

Let's see, the guys you have listed as having no roster spot are:

TE Braden Jones
    TE Garrett Mills
    C Dan Mozes

That gets your roster down to 53.
    However, I need to remind you that Darrion Scott is a UFA and as such is not under contract to the Vikings.
    With that, you should have a total of eight open roster spots

1 QB (for a total of 3)
    1 WR (for a total of 5)
    1 RB (for a total of 3)
    1 CB (for a total of 5)
    1 S (for a total of 4)
    1 DT (need to replace Spencer Johnson, for a total of 4)
    2 Other (we already have 5 DEs and 6 LBs)

If he's healthy, I can see the Vikings re-signing Darrion Scott as a DT/DE, though if he's healthy there might be other teams that want him.

I can see Ferguson being brought back as well...not that he excited me, but it seems that everyone raved about his blocking, and I think he was second on the team in catches and he is a vet, if nothing else.

Who knows who the 3rd RB will be?
    You've got to figure young and cheap, maybe a guy that can pick up a blitzer and catch a pass out of the backfield.
    Does Maurice Hicks fit that bill?
    How about Warrick Dunn, or has he lost too many steps and want too much money?

I think the first round pick is likely going to be a DE, S or CB (and if CB, they perhaps look at working Griffin in at safety some to eventually replace Sharper).
    That Cromartie kid could easily be there at #17, as could Phillips from Miami.
    2nd round could well be a QB if either Brohm or Flacco drops far enough (even if it means the Vikings have to trade their 2nd and 3rd to move up).
    Ideally though, I'd like the Vikings to trade for Jason Taylor to add an impact DE (if only for the next two seasons).

Hard for me to guess what other draft picks might be worth going after.
    Chase Johnson is a project, would there be someone in the draft in the 2nd or 3rd round worth going after?
    Perhaps a LB if Rufus Alexander doesn't come back at full strength?
    What about another WR in the 1st or 2nd round (especially 2nd)...do you go after a Kelly or Hardy?
    Allison didn't get much of a chance to play last season, could he be an odd man out?
    Excellent post my friend.

Thanks for the error catches.

I am not so sure they will go after a QB that high even though we need to make sure we get a good one this year for obvious reasons.

Again, my rationale behind that is I expect the picks in round 1 through 3 to provide instant impact or atleast a solid guy in a rotation (i.e. S, DE, DT).
    If they take a QB that early we lose one of those types of player for a guy that will sit the bench for a couple of years.

My guess is they will wait and take one sometime on day two and I definately don't see them using extra picks to get a QB that early.

Love your thoughts on Comartie.
    I think he and Smith would both be good pickups at 17 if one of the better DE's isn't there.

Not sold on Darion.
    Think he is a gonner.
    He wanted to leave before and now that the market is ripe for the pickings I see him going.

As to Fergy.
    Man I still see Puke Green when I look at that guy but he did grow on me.
    We'll see.
    Wouldn't be sad to see him go if they use the roster spot on a draft pick.

Again, excellent post my friend.

"bleedpurple" wrote:
    "purplepat" wrote:
    Gosh, I don't have any organized thoughts, so I guess I'll just have to ramble...

You need to highlight spot #53 in red (Open Roster Spot)

Let's see, the guys you have listed as having no roster spot are:

TE Braden Jones
    TE Garrett Mills
    C Dan Mozes

That gets your roster down to 53.
    However, I need to remind you that Darrion Scott is a UFA and as such is not under contract to the Vikings.
    With that, you should have a total of eight open roster spots

1 QB (for a total of 3)
    1 WR (for a total of 5)
    1 RB (for a total of 3)
    1 CB (for a total of 5)
    1 S (for a total of 4)
    1 DT (need to replace Spencer Johnson, for a total of 4)
    2 Other (we already have 5 DEs and 6 LBs)

If he's healthy, I can see the Vikings re-signing Darrion Scott as a DT/DE, though if he's healthy there might be other teams that want him.

I can see Ferguson being brought back as well...not that he excited me, but it seems that everyone raved about his blocking, and I think he was second on the team in catches and he is a vet, if nothing else.

Who knows who the 3rd RB will be?
    You've got to figure young and cheap, maybe a guy that can pick up a blitzer and catch a pass out of the backfield.
    Does Maurice Hicks fit that bill?
    How about Warrick Dunn, or has he lost too many steps and want too much money?

I think the first round pick is likely going to be a DE, S or CB (and if CB, they perhaps look at working Griffin in at safety some to eventually replace Sharper).
    That Cromartie kid could easily be there at #17, as could Phillips from Miami.
    2nd round could well be a QB if either Brohm or Flacco drops far enough (even if it means the Vikings have to trade their 2nd and 3rd to move up).
    Ideally though, I'd like the Vikings to trade for Jason Taylor to add an impact DE (if only for the next two seasons).

Hard for me to guess what other draft picks might be worth going after.
    Chase Johnson is a project, would there be someone in the draft in the 2nd or 3rd round worth going after?
    Perhaps a LB if Rufus Alexander doesn't come back at full strength?
    What about another WR in the 1st or 2nd round (especially 2nd)...do you go after a Kelly or Hardy?
    Allison didn't get much of a chance to play last season, could he be an odd man out?

The only way i see us trading pics wold be for either jason taylor or to move down in a round... i don't see us giving up a 2nd and a 3rd to move up anywhere...

I'd like to see us go after Limus Sweed... but i doubt that will happen, therefore, we'll probably go DE.. or corner and move griffin to safety... I still see us signing Tank Williams or Mike Doss back...

2nd round - would be probably a wide receiver or DT unless a really good QB were to fall to our spot.. like B.Brohm or even maybe Flacco..

(IMO, i think with Flacco, your in the same boat as TJ.. small school project with lots of potential)

etc etc..

really, we're in the same boat as of right now as we were at the beginning of Free agency.. with some upgrades...

at this point we've only filled holes in places we've lost players at... and for that reason, i think it's allover the board where we go in the draft..
    Excellent point and thats a good thing my friend.

Props to Fran/Rick and Scott (and the scouts) for hitting on so many good guys in the last two drafts.
    Because they drafted wisely almost all of our holes have solid young kids in them.

Now all we have to do is sit back and draft BPA in the later rounds to fill out backup positions behind those starters.

Again, that is a good thing my friend.

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    I'm going to go on record and say we WILL NOT be moving Griffin or Winfield to Safety.
    They are both decent corners, and Griffin will only keep getting better.
    No reason to move either to safety, a position of which they may or may not do well at and let some rookie corner take over and possibly pooh the bed.
    LOL, I hear ya my freind.

It is nice though to know that if something serious happens the staff has alot of good players on the field that gives the coaches alot of flexibility especially in our secondary, DL, and TE/FB positions.

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    One thing about Birk

Before his injuries a few years back, it seemed he was at his best when they were pulling him where he could use his speed and leverage in motion against defenders. In this system he has had to stand his ground and he doesn't seem to do as well toe to toe with the defensive Tackles. I know he bulked up last year to possibly improve, but I wonder the change in blocking hasn't hurt his performance.
    You know I never thought of it that way.

Excellent point that is probably pretty damn accurate.
    Thanks my friend.

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    I think it has, but he's also been injured 2 years in a row, and he's getting up there in age.
    I think all of those things are working against him.
    He's not the same blocker he was a few years back, and IMO he only made the pro bowl this year based on reputation alone.
    Mine as well and I got alot of shit this year from crotchsniffers when I pointed out poor play during the weekly game rants, however, it is the truth.

Hard for a fan to watch one of thier favorites decline a bit.

I still think he is a good C and will turn it around a bit this year.
    We really need a savy Vet at C right now as the rest of the line gels.

Maybe in another 2 years we will see him go.
    Anyone know when his contract is up?

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast