Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Marrdro's Roster Analysis

"purplepat" wrote:
    Gosh, I don't have any organized thoughts, so I guess I'll just have to ramble...

You need to highlight spot #53 in red (Open Roster Spot)

Let's see, the guys you have listed as having no roster spot are:

TE Braden Jones
    TE Garrett Mills
    C Dan Mozes

That gets your roster down to 53.
    However, I need to remind you that Darrion Scott is a UFA and as such is not under contract to the Vikings.
    With that, you should have a total of eight open roster spots

1 QB (for a total of 3)
    1 WR (for a total of 5)
    1 RB (for a total of 3)
    1 CB (for a total of 5)
    1 S (for a total of 4)
    1 DT (need to replace Spencer Johnson, for a total of 4)
    2 Other (we already have 5 DEs and 6 LBs)

If he's healthy, I can see the Vikings re-signing Darrion Scott as a DT/DE, though if he's healthy there might be other teams that want him.

I can see Ferguson being brought back as well...not that he excited me, but it seems that everyone raved about his blocking, and I think he was second on the team in catches and he is a vet, if nothing else.

Who knows who the 3rd RB will be?
    You've got to figure young and cheap, maybe a guy that can pick up a blitzer and catch a pass out of the backfield.
    Does Maurice Hicks fit that bill?
    How about Warrick Dunn, or has he lost too many steps and want too much money?

I think the first round pick is likely going to be a DE, S or CB (and if CB, they perhaps look at working Griffin in at safety some to eventually replace Sharper).
    That Cromartie kid could easily be there at #17, as could Phillips from Miami.
    2nd round could well be a QB if either Brohm or Flacco drops far enough (even if it means the Vikings have to trade their 2nd and 3rd to move up).
    Ideally though, I'd like the Vikings to trade for Jason Taylor to add an impact DE (if only for the next two seasons).

Hard for me to guess what other draft picks might be worth going after.
    Chase Johnson is a project, would there be someone in the draft in the 2nd or 3rd round worth going after?
    Perhaps a LB if Rufus Alexander doesn't come back at full strength?
    What about another WR in the 1st or 2nd round (especially 2nd)...do you go after a Kelly or Hardy?
    Allison didn't get much of a chance to play last season, could he be an odd man out?

The only way i see us trading pics wold be for either jason taylor or to move down in a round... i don't see us giving up a 2nd and a 3rd to move up anywhere...

I'd like to see us go after Limus Sweed... but i doubt that will happen, therefore, we'll probably go DE.. or corner and move griffin to safety... I still see us signing Tank Williams or Mike Doss back...

2nd round - would be probably a wide receiver or DT unless a really good QB were to fall to our spot.. like B.Brohm or even maybe Flacco..

(IMO, i think with Flacco, your in the same boat as TJ.. small school project with lots of potential)

etc etc..

really, we're in the same boat as of right now as we were at the beginning of Free agency.. with some upgrades...

at this point we've only filled holes in places we've lost players at... and for that reason, i think it's allover the board where we go in the draft..

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I'm going to go on record and say we WILL NOT be moving Griffin or Winfield to Safety.
    They are both decent corners, and Griffin will only keep getting better.
    No reason to move either to safety, a position of which they may or may not do well at and let some rookie corner take over and possibly shit the bed.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

One thing about Birk

Before his injuries a few years back, it seemed he was at his best when they were pulling him where he could use his speed and leverage in motion against defenders. In this system he has had to stand his ground and he doesn't seem to do as well toe to toe with the defensive Tackles. I know he bulked up last year to possibly improve, but I wonder the change in blocking hasn't hurt his performance.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I think it has, but he's also been injured 2 years in a row, and he's getting up there in age.
    I think all of those things are working against him.
    He's not the same blocker he was a few years back, and IMO he only made the pro bowl this year based on reputation alone.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Marrdro" wrote:

BPA between a DE or S.
    My bet it is DE here and another later in the draft.
    DT.
    No safety of value in the second round.

3a. OT. Big shift for me here. They take a guy that there isn't a roster spot for.
    3b. S.
    Depending on what happens during the rest of FA we still need two more safties.
    QB. The guy that will sit the bench and learn.
    Will eventually replace TJ as starter if he doesn't pan out, or if he leaves for a bigger contract at the end of his first contract.
    RB. Again, if they get a vet then they won't draft a RB here.
    S/DE.
    Again, all depends on the rest of FA.
    Might still need two this year.
    7. CB.
    Need a ST if Whitaker goes someplace else. If he is resigned they won't take a CB in this draft.
    Once again you fail to see the need for drafting a center? In an offense that takes 5 years to learn & as far as the front line goes, center IMO is arguable the hardest position to learn. With Birk getting up there in age, the need to bring one in so he can learn & know the system is now so he can easily be plugged in when that times arises.

Perhaps maybe you still think Mozes is that guy because he played center in college, but I think differently.

1. He tore his ACL last year & we don't know how he'll recover from that.

2. The Vikings have him listed as a G, not a center. That tells me they are trying to convert him to play G just like they did with Cook.

We can't wait until Birk retires or gets injured to then try & find a plug & play guy. I just don't see that happening.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

"purplepat" wrote:

TE Braden Jones
    TE Garrett Mills
    C Dan Mozes
    Mozes is listed as a G on the Vikings website, not a C, which leads me to believe that they are trying to convert him.

Turboe is offline Hall of Famer

Pardon my ignorance, but I was trying to remember when did we cut Ciatrick Fason, was in back in Training Camp last year?
    That was my recollection, that he was a roster casualty getting down to 53.
    Was he ever put on the practice squad or was he just outright released?
    Any thoughts from anyone whether he would be a servicable guy to slot into the final roster spot for RB or not?

I dont recall whether he had a bad camp last year, he was never a game breaker, but always seemed to be at least popular with the fans, I dont know if that ever was the case with those that count.

"Turboe" wrote:
    Pardon my ignorance, but I was trying to remember when did we cut Ciatrick Fason, was in back in Training Camp last year?
    That was my recollection, that he was a roster casualty getting down to 53.
    Was he ever put on the practice squad or was he just outright released?
    Any thoughts from anyone whether he would be a servicable guy to slot into the final roster spot for RB or not?

I dont recall whether he had a bad camp last year, he was never a game breaker, but always seemed to be at least popular with the fans, I dont know if that ever was the case with those that count.
    Yep...

9/1/2007 Released S Greg Blue, S Patrick Body, DT Conrad Bolston, WR Jason Carter, C/G Kyle Cook, CB Dovonte Edwards, RB Ciatrick Fason, DT Howard Green, LB George Hall, WR Cortez Hankton, LB David Herron, CB Chad Johnson, C Nork Katnik, T Jimmy Martin, WR Billy McMullen, WR Martin Nance, TE Richard Owens, RB Artose Pinner, DE Khreem Smith, TE Stephen Spach, QB Tyler Thigpen, WR Chandler Williams

http://www.vikings.com/TeamRosterMoves.aspx

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

BPA between a DE or S.
    DT.

3a. OT. Big shift for me here. They take a guy that there isn't a roster spot for.
    3b. S.
    Will eventually replace TJ as starter if he doesn't pan out, or if he leaves for a bigger contract at the end of his first contract.
    S/DE.
    7. CB.
    Need a ST if Whitaker goes someplace else. If he is resigned they won't take a CB in this draft.
    Once again you fail to see the need for drafting a center? In an offense that takes 5 years to learn & as far as the front line goes, center IMO is arguable the hardest position to learn. With Birk getting up there in age, the need to bring one in so he can learn & know the system is now so he can easily be plugged in when that times arises.

Perhaps maybe you still think Mozes is that guy because he played center in college, but I think differently.

2. The Vikings have him listed as a G, not a center. That tells me they are trying to convert him to play G just like they did with Cook.

We can't wait until Birk retires or gets injured to then try & find a plug & play guy. I just don't see that happening.
    Can't we just get a castoff from the Eagles? It's worked great so far at other positions ;D ;D

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

BPA between a DE or S.
    DT.

3b. S.
    S/DE.
    7. CB.

Can't we just get a castoff from the Eagles? It's worked great so far at other positions ;D ;D
    Haven't we already casted off all their cast offs? The well should be dry.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast