Page 1 of 17 123 11 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Marrdro's 2009 Roster Analysis - (53 Man Roster Finalized - How did I do?)

WTF happened to the original post?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Re: Marrdro's 2009 Roster Analysis - Position Breakdown

Offensive Linemen (8-13) (First # = # carried last year/Second # = # on current roster)
    Next to the WR’s, this group as a whole was pretty disappointing with respect to pass blocking.
    IMHO the solution at C will drive much of what the staff do with respect to shoring this unit up.
    Could see a draft pick used on C or
    T depending on what the intent is to shore up a weak unit in the pass protection all the while maintaining the strength of the running game, which they excel at by the way.

Bryant McKinnie T (Starter) – Signed a 7 year contract in 2006.
    After some personnel issues off the field impacted his play, he came back to prove his worth/value on this team.
    Should continue to anchor the LT position and get a bit better if his attitude continues and he gets finally comfortable with his role in the scheme.

Steve Hutchinson G (Starter) - Signed a 7 year contract in 2006.
    Continues to be a rock at the G position on the Left side.
    Together with McKinnie should provide a solid combo for several years to come.

Matt Birk C (Starter) – 2008 was the last year on the contract signed in 2001.
    Has started to show signs of age.
    Doesn’t pull very much anymore and appears to struggle in the new scheme.
    Would be best served if he took a minimum contract to stay with the team but will be allowed to test the FA market were a team will probably take a risk and sign him to a 3 or 4 year contract in the hopes he has a couple years left.

Could be a open roster position.

Anthony Herrera G (Starter) – Signed to a 5 year contract in 2007.
    Has really solidified the G position on the R side.
    Extremely gifted pulling G that, along with Hutch seems to give the running game lots of versatility with respect to what side they can/will run at.
    His play will only improve as the RT position performs better.

Ryan Cook T (Starter) – Signed a 4 year contract in 2006.
    Arguably the weakest link in the OL.
    Provides the staff with lots of options with respect to OL future.
    Could stay at RT or move to C depending on what transpires this offseason/what the staffs vision is.

Artis Hicks T/G (Backup/Starter) – Signed a 5 year deal in 2004.
    Can play 4 of 5 positions on the OL and surprised a few this year with respect to how well he held down the LT position in McKinnies absence.
    Could be considered as a replacement for Cook at RT regardless of what the staff does with Cook during the offseason.

Marcus Johnson T (Backup) – 2008 was last year of a 5 year contract.
    FA that probably won’t be resigned to make room on the roster for one of the new/young guys.

John Sullivan C/G (Backup) – Could be the air apparent for Birk or slated backup to Cook/other C that is brought in.

Evwaraye, Seppo G (PS) – Couldn’t find much on this cat.
    Believe he was let go to make room on PS because of depth at G.

Brian Daniels G (PS) Resigned to a futures contract 05 Jan 2009.

Chris Clark T (PS) – I can only find something that states he signed with the Bucs.
    Status unknown.

Drew Radovich T (I/R) – Signed a undisclosed contract in 2008.
    Was looking like he would make the roster (eliminating Marcus) as a backup T until he was injured with a dislocated shoulder.
    Will probably take MJ’s place on the roster.

Mike Jones G (I/R) – Signed to a futures contract by the Bears in 2007, then released May of 2008.
    Not sure how/why he is carried on I/R on the Vikings roster.

Defensive Lineman (9-15) (DT 4-8/DE 5-7) (First # = # carried last year/Second # = # on current roster)
    I am probably one of the few on this site who think we need a upgrade at DE if Keneche doesn’t come back 100% from his illness.
    Additionally, I am concerned about the whole pending “Williams Wall” suspension.
    What appears to be our strength could actually be our weakness next year depending on those issues.
    I anticipate the staff using a draft pick on both/either position with a lot of cats being cut sometime mid season that make the roster as the staff will opt to carry an extra DLmen or two.

Jared Allen DE (Starter) – Signed a 6 year deal in 2008.
    Should cement the RDE position for the life of the contract as long as he doesn’t have anymore off field issues.

Kevin Williams DT (Starter) – Signed a 7 year deal in 2006.
    Cements one of the DT positions for many years to come.
    Saw significant increase in production after the addition of JA.

Pat Williams DT (Starter) – Signed a 3 year contract in 2007. Has thrived in the new scheme and along with K-Will cements the defensive front especially against the run.
    Will be entering his 13 year in 2009.
    Even though he appears to be playing at a very high level, a future replacement should be considered.

Ray Edwards DE (Starter) – Signed a 4 year contract in 2006. A very versatile option at DE. Filled in nicely as LDE during Keneche’s absence.
    If Keneche returns to health, he will still provide significant reps to both DE’s positions.
    Look to see the staff resign him during the 2009 season as his play can only get better from here.

Brian Robison DE (Backup) – Signed an undisclosed contract in 2007.
    Proved his worth this year playing both RDE, LDE and DT based on down/distance.
    Look to see the staff resign him to a long term contract in 2009.
    Fred Evans DT (Backup) – Signed a 2 year contract in 2007. Provides decent backup to K-will and Phat Pat but isn’t a game changer.
    Will probably be on the active roster for 2009 based on assumption that the Williams Wall might not be available for 4 games but won’t be brought back in 2010.

Otis Grigsby DE (Backup) – Signed a undisclosed contract in 2007.
    Provided much needed reps after signing because of lack of depth at DE position.
    Seems to be a decent backup but doesn’t really seem to be a game changer.

Letroy Guion DT (Backup) – Very young and raw.
    Needs a couple of years as a rotational/wave guy to get his technique up to par with the C and G’s of the league will face day in and day.
    Could be a understudy behind Phat Pat to assume that role.
    Look to see a increased amount of reps in 2009 as a means to prolong Phat Pats career and to get him much needed reps.

Jimmy Kennedy DT (Backup) – Believe he was only signed to a one year contract and will be a FA this year. Could be retained as a reps eater depending on what happens with the Williams boys.

Ellis Wyms DT (Backup) Signed a 1 year deal in 2007.
    Could be retained as a reps eater depending on what happens with the Williams boys.

Jayme Mitchell DE (I/R) – RFA.
    Decision will have to be made as we have a glut of DE’s.

Kenechi Udeze DE (NFIR) – Signed a 5 year contract in 2004.
    Will be coming in after a bout with leukemia.
    If healthy should provide a instant upgrade in our base 4-3 defense. It will be interesting to see what happens with respect to a contract extension based on his health/production.

Kenderick Allen DT (I/R) – UFA.
    Will probably be allowed to walk/test the market with Kennedy being retained.

Martail Burnett DE (PS) – In Apr 2008 he signed a three-year deal with a $21,000 signing
    bonus, in Aug 2008 was cut and then resigned to the practice squad. At 6’3” 262ish lbs he appears to be a RDE prospect. With the glut of DE’s we have on the roster not sure what future role this cat has.

Alex Guerrero DT (PS) Vikings sent him to the NFLE in 2007.
    At 6’1” 303 doesn’t seem like he could be considered a future replacement for Phat Pat.
    Future unknown at this point.

Linebackers (6-10) (First # = # carried last year/Second # = # on current roster)
    Chad and Ben played admirably this year with the loss of EJ, however, EJ’s loss amplified how weak we are when it comes to depth.
    I really look to see the staff use a high to mid round draft pick in this years draft to shore up this position.

Chad Greenway OLB (Starter) – Signed a 5 year contract in 2006.
    With only 2 years experience, he really came into his own this year.
    Sometimes will struggle with pass protection but definitely is around the ball on most plays.
    I look for him to continue to get better.

Ben Leber OLB (Starter) – Signed a 5 year contract in 2006.
    Proved his value and understanding of what the staff is trying to do after EJ went down.
    Arguably had his best year even though the numbers might not show it.
    Does struggle in pass defense but that isn’t what he was brought in for.
    Very solid against the run and getting after the
    QB if used correctly in the scheme.

Dontarrious Thomas ILB (Starter/Backup) – Not sure of his contract status.
    Considering the staff deactivated him for the Giants game, I wonder if he will be back next year.
    The signing of DT along with Napo clearly showed a weakness in our staff.

Napoleon Harris ILB (Starter) – His signing resulted in Tapeh being cut to make room on the roster.
    Again, I see his signing, along with the Thomas signing as a clear indicator that we don not have good depth at the MLB/ILB position.
    Look for he team to spend a draft pick here with both Napo and DT being released sometime during spring training as the roster comes down.

Erin Henderson OLB (Backup/Injured ??) – Seems to have made the squad based on collegiate play (before his injury) as well as play during the offseason.
    A promising young talent that might find a home on the ST’s if he can stay healthy.

David Herron ILB (Backup) – Can’t find much on this cat.
    Thought the Pats signed him after the whole Mills debacle so I am not sure why he is even carried by two sites on the Vikings roster.

Vinny Ciurciu OLB (Backup) – Signed a 3 year contract in 2007.
    One of the few letdowns that this staff has made in the FA other than Tapeh.
    Could be a roster hit depending on what the staff elects to do in both the draft and FA to shore up a weak position.

Kenny Onatolu OLB (PS) – Signed to a futures contract in 2008.
    Not much else out there on this cat.
    It will be interesting to see if they elect to use him on ST’s or if he is just a camp body.

Heath Farwell OLB (I/R) – Signed a 1 year contract in 2008.
    Next to the EJ and Keneche injuries, he was missed the most.
    Arguably
    our best ST’s tackler.
    It will be interesting to see what the Vikes opt to do here.

E. J. Henderson ILB (I/R) – Signed a 5 year contract in 2006.
    His absence provided a significant hole not only in the LB corps but the defense as a whole.
    I see no significant issue with respect to his return.

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Defensive Backs (10-14)(S 5-7) (CB 5-6) (First # = # carried last year/Second # = # on current roster)
    One of the stronger units on this team when healthy.
    It would appear the staff made a wise draft pick in STJ allowing for him to learn (somewhat accelerated because of M-wills injury) this year prior to the loss of Sharp to FA (anticipated loss).
    The could use a draft pick on S to fill the roster spot voided by STJ as he is promoted to starter.
    Additionally, I look to see them bring in several undrafted FA’s in both the S and CB positions to compete for backup/ST’s roles on this squad.

Antoine Winfield CB (Starter) – Signed a 6 year contract in 2004.
    Best CB in the league with respect to run support but can struggle at times in the passing game against bigger/more physical receivers in press coverage.
    Does an outstanding job in the scheme and should anchor that side for the life of his contract.

Cedric Griffin CB (Starter) – Signed a 4 year contract in 2006.
    Really started to show signs of improvement in 2007 but really came on strong last year as the team used him as a shutdown corner against some of the bigger/better receivers in the league. I anticipate they will opt to spend some money on him this year so they can save some bucks later on and ensure he plays the life of his contract.

Benny Sapp CB (Backup) – Signed a 1 year contract in 2008.

Seemed to be a possible camp body that really stepped in at times when Gordon went down.
    Plays with a lot of passion that seems to get him in trouble at times, but should excel in the scheme if he is brought back by the staff.

Marcus McCauley CB (Backup) – Not sure of his contract status.
    Might be a 3 year deal out there but I am not sure.
    After seeing extensive time in 2007 filling in as a starter when Winny went down, I am not sure what happened to this cat.
    My guess is that he was fighting hard to get reps on a deep, talented CB roster.
    It will be interesting to see who goes (McCauley or Sapp) when/if Gordon recovers from his devastating injury.

Darren Sharper SS (Starter) – The time is at hand. Sharp will be allowed to test the FA market and likely won’t return.
    Look to see STJ come in and take his spot allowing for the staff to draft another S or promote one from the PS.

Look to see a Draft pick go on S because of Sharps loss, and STJ’s promotion.

Madieu Williams FS (Starter) – Signed a 6 year deal in 2008.

Really helped improve our defense in a lot of areas (especially pass defense) when he finally recovered from a neck injury.
    Seemed to play both FS and SS well when called upon which gives the staff a lot of flexibility in that area.
    Injury issues could be a concern, again, look to the staff to draft another stud S in this draft.

Tyrell Johnson S (Starter/Backup) – Came in and played admirably as a rookie.
    Had some mistakes but that was to be expected.
    Seems to be able to play both FS and SS and loves to get into the box, even though that got him out of position a few times. I look forward to watching this kid mature in this scheme.

Husain Abdullah S (Backup) – Signed as a undrafted FA in 2008.
    Showed some nice promise in the ST’s role as the season wore on.

Eric Frampton SS (Backup) – Claimed off waivers in 2007 from Detroit. Showed some nice promise in the ST’s role as the season wore on.

Rogers, Roderick DB (PS)

Roderick Rogers S (PS)

Marcus Walker CB (PS)

Charles Gordon CB (I/R) – RFA this year.
    Suffered a devastating injury that might not allow him to come back
    100%.
    It will be interesting to see if the staff are patient with him as he recouperates.
    Could be a open roster position that could be filled by either Sapp or McCauley or another young talent/vet.

Michael Boulware SS (I/R) – Signed to a 1 year contract in 2008.
    More of a LB Tweener than a true S.
    Probably won’t be back on the active 53 man roster in 2009.

Special Teams (3-4) (First # = # carried last year/Second # = # on current roster)
    What can I say, most of you know my stance here.
    I don’t think Kluwe has a kluwe with respect to the basics of the game.
    He continually appears to be going for distance alone and often times outkicks his coverage or fails to put the ball out of bounds when the situation dictates it.
    Longwell, even though he did increase his distance and hang time a bit this year, still makes it hard for the coverage team.
    It will be interesting to see what the staff does this year in the offseason. They could opt for a K/P in the draft so that they could
    use the same guy to P and K or they could opt to carry an extra K to extend the life of Longwells leg for FG’s.
    In the end, I really don’t see much improvement here unless we can find a way to draft or sign a FA ST’s coach…….

Chris Kluwe P – Signed a 6 year contract extension in 2007.
    Might be to big of a CAP hit to go another way.
    Lets hope the ST’s coach can work with him on the difference between distance and accuracy.

Cullen Loeffler LS – Forget it.
    He’s not going anywhere

Ryan Longwell K - Improved distance this year but still doesn’t have the length associated with a NFL kicker.

Taylor Mehlhaff K - Signed to futures contract. Possible Camp Leg or move to extend the life of Longwells leg.
    Hard to justify the extra roster position especially when one considers that the staff will want to carry extra DL depending on the Williams Wall issue.

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni

Nice read Marr. You put a lot of work into it. Thanks
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

Way to break it down Marrdro, it's going to be very interesting to see what kinda moves we make, who stays and who goes, will Gordo, and EJ be ready for camp, as always a few surprises. Gonna be a great offseason. We can use Marr's template here to speculate what moves we may make in FA, and then the draft to address what we didn't by trading or in FA.

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

Quarterbacks (3 – 3) (First # = # carried last year/Second # = # on current roster)

I believe the staff will continue to try to stabilize this position with a couple of different scenarios.
    They will continue to scour the waiver wire/trade possibilities for a quality Vet that can either start or provide backup to the starter.
    Additionally, they will use a mid to late round draft pick (again) on a future prospect that they will plug into the development process to ensure that they have at least 2 or 3 guys under development.

Tarvaris Jackson QB (Starter/Backup) – Last year on Contract.
    Decision must be made.
    Reps as starter will drive that decision
    Gus Frerotte QB (Starter/Backup) – Could be retained for one more year.
    John David Booty QB (Backup) – Project QB.
    Could move up the depth chart with a strong outing or could be a roster scratch if the staff drafts a better option.
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Awesome work Marrdro. Move yourself up on the spreadsheet.

I agree with much of what you said, but I think we need to fill our offensive line issues through free agency. Bring in Jordan Gross to play right tackle, a cheaper alternative, and one I may actually prefer is Marc Colombo from Dallas. To replace Birk at center we bring in Jason Brown. I know you're concerned with Cook's height, as am I. I don't see us moving him back to center, but instead we keep him as a backup to Gross/Colombo/whoever we bring in.

We promote from within at safety, Tyrell Johnson... although according to NFLDraftCountdown.com we were looking at safety Louis Delmas at the Senior Bowl. He should be around in the late 2nd or 3rd round in this weak safety class. We would need the depth if Sharper walks.

Quarterback... I really don't know. My belief is that no matter who we have behind center we won't see significant improvement.

Wide receivers. I think we need a strong, physical receiver to beat jams and get instant separation off the line of scrimmage. I've stated before that I'm partial towards Kenny Britt of Rutgers, and would love for us to pick him up in the draft. I really think he's a can't miss guy. I played against him in high school once, and watched him play at Rutgers in person for 2 years, he's made big improvements every year and this season came out looking 2 steps faster than I've seen him before. With NFL training who knows what this guy will be able to do. I just hope he does it in purple.

I agree we need a strong blocking fullback, but we rarely use a fullback in the way they're traditionally used. No matter how much it could help Peterson... but hey, that's the scheme.

Linebackers, we looked at Clint Sintim yesterday at the Senior Bowl. I don't know why(although I have a theory for another thread,) he's a first round guy. We have Henderson, Greenway, and Leber all signed for quite some time I believe. And a first rounder like him tends not to be brought in for depth. I think we're good at LB when EJ returns, no real moves need to be made.

With a healthy roster we have very few holes, and I really like that. This offseason will be us bolstering the oline, promoting from within to fill Sharper's spot, and creating depth. Not many moves need to be made IMO. The biggest move that needs to be made is giving Childress the boot or at least get his hands off the offense.

On the defensive line, I think we need to find a Pat Williams replacement. He's 36 years old, and despite his level of play we need a contingency plan. Ron Brace out of BC appears to be an excellent replacement as a run stuffer.

After the Super Bowl and I do some more draft research I'll make my annual super post similar to this one, so Marrdro like TO says "Get your popcorn ready." Bring a few beasts as well, it's probably gonna be another hulk of a read.

seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer

Excellent work as usual my good man.
    I will get little more in depth as this thread rolls along, but overall I agree mostly with your assesment.
    With all signs pointing to Birk leaving, I think the C position will be the cornerstone to our offseason activity.
    We may not pick up one C, but what we do with that position (sullivan, cook, FA, draft) will be our rudder to the offseason.

More to come later.. .

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Bump.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

I am way too tired to read that whole thing, but once I do, I will make as many comments on it as I can. Great work bro.
    We're bringing purple back.

Page 1 of 17 123 11 ... LastLast