Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    mewario is offline Starter

Re: Maroney completes Pro Day

Yeah, well, I know he's the best back we have, but unfortunately I don't see him playing for us again. I'd love for him to prove me wrong though, I love how he runs the ball, and he brings an attitude to the RB position.

mackd10 is offline Rookie

Lendale White is the banger we need between the tackles. He should be our pick at 17.

I think Lendale is too fat, and a product of the USC system. Why waste a first rounder that can land us an impact player when we already go 3 to 4 deep at the RB position? We need LB's, and perhaps a D-Lineman to groom to replace fat Pat, although I like C.J. Mosley. Either way, a RB is redundant.

mackd10 is offline Rookie

It's funny that you think we are 3 to 4 deep at the RB position? If that was the case, we would not have signed Taylor. (Taylor,White,Moore). And go check out the 2006 Rose Bowl game? For a 250 lb back he ran a 100 yards, and now he's down to 230.

I did watch the Rose Bowl game, I didn't see anything special. I saw a lot of power, but we don't need that

ThaSuperFreak33 is offline Pro-Bowler

What happened to our need at QB. We have to go in that direction first because I dont think McMahon will ever be a starter.

SnoSho is offline Rookie

Pretty sure no one is expecting him to be a starter he's just a back up that Childress doesn't have to teach WCO to.
    Anyway back to Maroney. I'm kinda shocked at how good his proday was from what I read. Heck 4.47 or 35 inch vert jump on a bad ham isn't bad at all. Neither is 21 reps of 225 or the extra weight he put on. The fact two places I saw said he looked good catching balls which was his weakness in most peoples eye is interesting. Most places say his stock will drop because of the 40 time, but I know from watching the Gophers if our O-line ends up as good as it looks on paper he could look just as good in Purple as maroon.

whiteviking24 is offline Pro-Bowler

Maroney will probably be gone in the first round.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Maroney draws quite a crowd for workout

Sid Hartman
    Sid Hartman: Garnett says he's comfortable with team chemistry

New Vikings coach shows commitment to his role

Mason: Gophers simply unprepared

U football should get more TV, bowl money

Burns and Vikings used West Coast offense first
    I have watched many of the NFL scouting days at the University of Minnesota, where scouts come out to time and check out Gophers seniors and those eligible for the draft, but never has there been a turnout like there was Thursday at the university football building when Laurence Maroney was the feature attraction.
    Vikings coach Brad Childress was there, as were other Vikings employees, scouts from every team in the NFL, and many of Maroney's college teammates, who came out to cheer him on.

And even though he's recovering from a pulled hamstring, Maroney put on quite a show running and catching passes, a performance that had the scouts very much impressed.

The scouts I talked to said he will be a cinch first-round pick.

He would look good in a Vikings uniform, but it's highly unlikely they would take a running back in the first round with other needs perhaps more important.

The Vikings did spend time talking to Maroney at the recent NFL combine in Indianapolis.

Gophers coach Glen Mason, who watched the process, must have been thinking how much he is going to miss the best running back I have ever seen play at Minnesota.

Maroney, who has put on 12 pounds and now weighs 216, said the process of working out long days in Arizona has been hard work, but a fun process.

The hamstring problem that slowed him down at the end of his college career and is troubling him again could cost him in the draft.

Maroney said his agents aren't predicting where he will be taken in the draft.

" I really don't know. I don't listen to anybody about it," he said. " I'm really just going to wait until draft day and see where I get called."

Maroney was impressed by the turnout of scouts, and most of them, including Childress, talked to him after the workout.

"It made me feel like I was someone important," Maroney said. "It was a nice feeling. They came out here to watch me perform and that's what I came to do, perform for them."

Does he have any regrets about passing up his senior year at Minnesota?

"No. It's been a good experience," he said.

Likes McMahon

Childress was the offensive coordinator at Philadelphia last year when Mike McMahon was the backup quarterback, so the Vikings coach knew all about the new player his team has signed.

"From the standpoint that he's played in [our] system in college, at Detroit and at Philadelphia ... and I think he can learn some things from Brad Johnson," Childress said.

Childress didn't know why the Eagles let McMahon go.

"Good question. They probably didn't like how he played last year when he stepped in for Donovan McNabb," Childress said. "He gave us a chance to win that Dallas game, made a couple of nice throws. If we could have caught one, we could have beat them at the end of the game. I personally like the kid."

Childress is excited about the signing of Pro Bowl guard Steve Hutchinson.

"Anytime you can take care of your offensive line like that and add some temperament to the offensive line, I don't think that ever hurts you. Everything starts up front," he said.

Jottings

Vikings owner Zygi Wilf continues to campaign for his Blaine stadium, making calls all over town each week, including lunch with the Teamsters union on Thursday. Wilf is going to push everybody the way he knows how to try to get the stadium bill passed this session of the Legislature. Meanwhile, in the Senate, there isn't any action to get the Twins stadium bill into committee.

Gophers assistant men's basketball coach Bill Walker is a finalist for the coaching job at the University of Idaho and is a favorite to get the job. ... The school has received a couple of calls asking for permission to talk to Gophers assistant coach Jim Molinari about another college assistant job, but Molinari wants to stay here unless he is offered a head coaching position.

Vikings punter Chris Kluwe, who had surgery to repair the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee after last season, will be taking part in Vikings minicamps. Apparently his knee has made a good recovery, and he will be ready to punt this fall. So far, the Vikings haven't signed any punters.

In Week 1 of NFL Europe, Vikings cornerback Ronyell Whitaker had five tackles and recovered a fumble playing for the Rhein Fire in its 10-6 victory over the Frankfurt Galaxy. ... Aaron Hosack, the fomer Gophers receiver who is still on the Vikings roster, caught one pass for 10 yards for Frankfurt. ... Vikings tackle Sean Bubin started for the Hamburg Sea Devils in their 14-10 loss to the Colonge Centurions.

Tony Brinkhaus, the Gophers offensive lineman who will be tried at center this spring, said he played center until eighth grade and is glad to be given a chance to win the starting job.

Some of the pro scouts thought Gophers defensive lineman Mark Losli might have a future in pro football, but after getting two degrees at the Carlson School of Management, Losli is not interested.

Among the scouts timing Maroney and other Gophers players Thursday was Ryan Jones, a graduate assistant with the Gophers in 1990 and 1991 who is now a top scout for the New York Giants. ... Also at the session, Mason pointed to new Vikings running backs coach Eric Bieniemy and said, "When I was at Kansas, he was a running back for Colorado and one of the best I have ever seen."

Former Gophers running back Tellis Redmon, who was among the players timed Thursday, is trying to get back into pro football after being released from the Baltimore Ravens at the end of training camp last year. Redmon will be an assistant coach at Minneapolis Roosevelt this fall if he doesn't get a pro job. ... The scouts as the timing session believe Gophers defensive tackle Anthony Montgomery has a better chance to make it in the pros as an offensive lineman.

Former Twins pitching coach Dick Such has agreed to be the pitching coach for Long Island in the independent Atlantic League. Former New York Mets manager Bud Harrelson also is a coach with the team.

DaunteHOF is offline Coach

why would the Giants be there? To replace Tiki? Well we need LBs, get a RB next year if its a problem
    Its not braggin if you can do it!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast