Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Maroney at 17

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Maroney at 17

I don't think we should go after a RB either at #17.. We should stick to the OL, or LB. Those are our biggest concerns right now. We will find a good RB come FA, I most certainly see Edgerin James in Purple and Gold come next season.. Stick to the game plan " Triangle Of Authority" and get us another big man on the OL to go with MT. McKinney..

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

"vikingstw" wrote:
    No RB in first round. Offensive Lineman and Defensive players in the first round. RB come by the dozens, they come and go, if we have everything in place as far as an offensive line is concerned we should have no problem plugging one our RB's in and having sucess.

We just got done drafting 3 RB's three years in a row, NO MORE. We gotta give those guys a chance.

I don't think we need a RB at all, we got Onterrio, Mewlede, Fason and Echumade off the practice squad who has alot of talent. If it wasn't for the offensive line being in shambles all year nobody would think we need a RB, but since we couldn't run because defenders where strifing through our line we couldn't get a running game going so everyone tries to blame the RB's. Along with the WR's.

We also have a lot of young O-lineman too. I don't want to take another O-lineman and expect him to start, I really hope we fix our O-line in FA, so we don't have to do this. If we can fix our O-line in FA and get some help at the LBer spot in FA, RB is a good pick for us at 17. As you said, we have some good RB's in fason, MM and maybe Onterrio, so if the RB we take at 17 isn't ready, we don't have to count on him to be a big impact rookie, like we would if we picked an O-lineman at 17, since he would be pushed into the starting lineup right away, most likely and could struggle like MJ did this season. Same can be said for a LB at 17.

I hope we do go RB, if we do indeed fix the O-line, Lber spot, and possibly sign a SS in FA. I don't really see a SS that is a good pick at 17, compared to white or maroney.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    I don't think we should go after a RB either at #17.. We should stick to the OL, or LB. Those are our biggest concerns right now. We will find a good RB come FA, I most certainly see Edgerin James in Purple and Gold come next season.. Stick to the game plan " Triangle Of Authority" and get us another big man on the OL to go with MT. McKinney..
    Mt. McNeil...Marcus McNeil!!! The McBrothers will dominate! Draft that Samoan out of USC and pair him with Fonoti and we will have TWO more mountains...Samoan mountains (since islands are nothing more than mountains in the sea!). With Birk to anchor the line at C and to make the calls with his Harvard-educated brain, the Vikes OL could dominate next season! :grin:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

KWILL93 is offline Training Camp

"jellovike" wrote:
    In trying to pull some of the attention away from all of the Pep stuff, I found a mock draft that had us taking Maroney at 17. Personally, i like this pick because he his a hometown guy and could finally give us the running back we have been lacking since my boy Robert Smith.

"It is easy to blame the teams extreme drop-off in offensive production on the loss of Randy Moss and while that was a factor you'd be remiss not to note the lack of a running game as well. Basically the team doesn't have a runner who they can give the ball to 20-25 times a game and have carry the load. Michael Bennett will be a free agent who is not likely to return, Mewelde Moore is injury-prone and best suited for a 3rd down or situational role, Moe Williams is only a short yardage runner at this point and the jury is still out on Ciatrick Fason. An extremely productive and explosive runner who is a threat to take it the distance every time he touches the ball, Maroney would be a nice choice here and his addition would give this franchise the top threat in the running game that they have been lacking since Robert Smith retired. Also, you certainly can't discount the public relations value of bringing in the hometown hero for a franchise that has taken more than its share of lumps off the field in recent years. Linebacker is also a pressing concern for the Vikings and someone like Chad Greenway here would make a ton of sense as well if he were somehow still available, but adding a premier runner would be just what the doctor ordered to restore the luster to what was once an extremely dangerous offense."

Here's a link the the whole mock draft.
    http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html
    Sorry but for the exact same reason that he is a local boy should be the very reason that we do not draft him. Don't get me wrong LM had a great college career and could have a very solid pro career. I personally don't think he will do that well as a pro. I would love to see him do well, but that is not the reason that I do not want him in purple. I think that expectations here would be way to high for him. Look how people react to our RB situation now.

ChiTownVike is offline Hall of Famer

I think we have to draft a RB if we do not get Edge or Jamal

If we do, O-Line is the way to go

Thank you Josdin for the sig

KWILL93 is offline Training Camp

I honestly don't know about either position actually. I think both RB and OL can be adressed in FA. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if DCis gone hat the Vikes move up to try to get a QB. It would make the most sense this year to get one. Brad is pretty much on hois last leg, and to have a young QB to develop behind him would be a wise move.

vikings11_27 is offline Pro-Bowler

ya i think zygi will pony up the dough for a top teir back like edge

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

i dont think jamal is worth spending a FA splash on. Edge i think is worth it but not jamal.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123