Marrdro wrote:
    Zeus wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    maybe

LGAD
    GALD
    LDGA
    I have not waivered on my stance that he can't throw the ball deep consistently enough to exploit defenses when they stack the box.

Judging by how many times we saw that, I think the D-cords of the world agree with me.
    As usual, you're delusional.

Against Dallas he had a beautiful 47-yard TD to Sid Rice for the game's first touchdown. Are you saying 47 yards isn't deep?

His 3rd TD to Sid Rice was a 45-yarder. Also - not deep?

=Z=
    And you can't think of any throws were he was off target?

Delusional? Maybe, completely wrong? Don't think so.
    I'd like to hear who does throw a good deep ball, though? Favre did surprisingly well, I think. There's no QB who's going to hit every ball deep. I'm afraid that, if you think Favre's deep ball was bad last year, you'll never get a QB who has a good deep ball.

Maybe it wasn't the prettiest at times, but he did get the job done.
    Don't disagree on all counts. Thats why I said, "Alas, he proved me and Baldy wrong".

Problem is, I think he is gonna go into this year really really really really knowing its his last. That will cause him to force things a bit.

And you, above most on here, know what that means. Alot of throws like the last one of the season, or the one were he sailed it over El Syds head in the Steelers game in the end zone (hit the fricken cross bar) or the one he sailed over El Syds head in the end zone in the Ravens game. Or the one were he threw it so far off target that El Syd had to reach over the Giants DB and snatch it away from him, or the one in the endzone were Shanc made a amazing twist in the air to catch the throw that was behind him.....etc etc etc.

Again, one more time for possible penetration, he proved me wrong. I'm just not buying into what he was selling last year. Alot of those throws that everyone lauds had a damn fine play by the WR/TE on the backside of it.
    WRs and TEs help QBs out all the time. Now, he overthrew a couple and some bails sailed on him. That happens.

Thing is, though, a lot of those "bad" throws he made that you stated where towards Rice and Shiancoe.

I think that this has as much to do with trust as erratic throws.

The way Rice played last year, it's very understandable that you just throw one up there for him to grab. Just look at some Packers tape when Sterling Sharpe was still on the team or when Javon Walker had his amazing year.

And Favre's always been in love with his TEs. He made the horrible mediocre Donald Lee look like a great player in 2007.

Of course he makes some bad throws. Everyone does. I think that a lot of these were just plays where no one was open, so you throw it to your playmaker and hope something happens.
    Shanc was wide open. No one around him. El Syd had the DB completely screened from the play.

Comeon, you know I wouldn't hang plays out there as proof if they weren't off target throws.

The one were PH got behind all the defenders (Deep) and the Noodle under threw him, the Noodle pointed at his chest and said "On me". Just like the one were PH was behind the defenders and the Noodle over threw him. Same chest pointing.....
    Well, ok. Then those where obviously bad throws. Like Rodgers overthrew Jennings in the WC game. Like Brady overthrew Moss when going for the record in week 17 against the Giants.

Again, no one's perfect on deep balls. It's a mix of letting your receivers make a play and just bad throws. Your examples where obviously bad throws.

I don't know what you're looking for here. Throw some alternatives out there for QBs who don't miss those. I don't think you'll get anyone who's better than Peyton of the guys who are playing right now. And even he misses from time to time.
    Again, nothing in there that isn't accurate. Problem for me is that there is a huge contingent on here who refuse to ackowledge that the Noodle could make a bad throw.

See the screen pass INT to CT in the Steelers game. Hot and High and yet, everyone on here will say because it hit CT's hands he should have caught it.

.....snicker.....
    we don't refuse to accept he makes some bad throws.

We refuse to accept your noodle crap

bsmithberkley is offline Pro-Bowler

Re:Marc Bulger??

Marrdro wrote:
    bsmithberkley wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    maybe

LGAD
    GALD
    LDGA
    I have not waivered on my stance that he can't throw the ball deep consistently enough to exploit defenses when they stack the box.

Judging by how many times we saw that, I think the D-cords of the world agree with me.
    And you don't think it has anything to do with us not having the personell?

Our deep guy was Berrian, but he was banged up, and not as fast/quick.

Rice doesn't have the speed. Sure you can hit him deep, but there's almost always someone on him.

Harvin has the speed, but out of the slot he's very often in the middle of the field in traffic.

and I'd love to see a quote from even one single DC saying he can't throw the deep ball. just one.
    Let me go look and see if I can find it again, but there was one last year (early on) were the HC said it was harder to gameplan against TJ (mobility) than the Noodle (not mobile).
    not what I asked.
    So a HC isn't as good as a D-coord? LOL.

I love how I keep putting things out there and you keep dancing around them.
    again, twisting my words. I'd love to hear an HC coach too, but that isn't the quote I'[m lookin gfor. I'm looking for somebody with actual credibility saying he can't throw the deep ball. and it can't be from before September of this year, as once the season got underway, he showed he still has it.

So please, a quote saying he can't throw it deep. Not who's easier to gameplan for, or who makes a better Nacho dip.
    LOL, love the Nacho Dip jab. Well played my friend. Well played indeed.

As to the expert. I used Baldy from NFLN last year. It was him, on NFC Playbook, that broke the tape down that I came up with this idea from.

Alas, the Noodle then came out and proved us wrong but that doesn't mean I am 100% convinced yet. I think we are gonna see the Noodle of old come out this year. :P
    and when was this? Before or after week 3 or so (Reason I use that week, is we all know our offense and passing was very vanila until Week 3 (SF game) I'm betting there weren't many doubters of Favre's arm after that game.
    It was before the Noodle was a Viking.

Baldy broke it down (using Jets/PUKERS game tape) why we shouldn't sign the Noodle.
    I wonder how much of that game tape was from before the injury (like the game where Favre had 6 TD Passes)and how much was after the undisclosed injury?

Be happy you have Favre with a healthy Arm...and he is still one of the best downfield passers in the game.
    Most (roughly 2/3) of the clips were from the Jets games, but the other 1/3 were from the 2007 season.[/quote]

That 2007 season where, if not for Brady/Moss, Favre would have been a front runner for MVP? It pains some people so much to give any credit to Favre for still having what it takes to win that they will carve a few examples of bad plays from the last few years to try and discredit him.
    None

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Rockmolder wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Rockmolder wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Rockmolder wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Zeus wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    maybe

LGAD
    GALD
    LDGA

Against Dallas he had a beautiful 47-yard TD to Sid Rice for the game's first touchdown. Are you saying 47 yards isn't deep?

=Z=

I'd like to hear who does throw a good deep ball, though? Favre did surprisingly well, I think. There's no QB who's going to hit every ball deep. I'm afraid that, if you think Favre's deep ball was bad last year, you'll never get a QB who has a good deep ball.

Don't disagree on all counts. Thats why I said, "Alas, he proved me and Baldy wrong".

Problem is, I think he is gonna go into this year really really really really knowing its his last. That will cause him to force things a bit.

And you, above most on here, know what that means. Alot of throws like the last one of the season, or the one were he sailed it over El Syds head in the Steelers game in the end zone (hit the fricken cross bar) or the one he sailed over El Syds head in the end zone in the Ravens game. Or the one were he threw it so far off target that El Syd had to reach over the Giants DB and snatch it away from him, or the one in the endzone were Shanc made a amazing twist in the air to catch the throw that was behind him.....etc etc etc.

Again, one more time for possible penetration, he proved me wrong. I'm just not buying into what he was selling last year. Alot of those throws that everyone lauds had a damn fine play by the WR/TE on the backside of it.
    WRs and TEs help QBs out all the time. Now, he overthrew a couple and some bails sailed on him. That happens.

Thing is, though, a lot of those "bad" throws he made that you stated where towards Rice and Shiancoe.

The way Rice played last year, it's very understandable that you just throw one up there for him to grab. Just look at some Packers tape when Sterling Sharpe was still on the team or when Javon Walker had his amazing year.

And Favre's always been in love with his TEs. He made the horrible mediocre Donald Lee look like a great player in 2007.

Of course he makes some bad throws. Everyone does. I think that a lot of these were just plays where no one was open, so you throw it to your playmaker and hope something happens.
    Shanc was wide open. No one around him. El Syd had the DB completely screened from the play.

Comeon, you know I wouldn't hang plays out there as proof if they weren't off target throws.

The one were PH got behind all the defenders (Deep) and the Noodle under threw him, the Noodle pointed at his chest and said "On me". Just like the one were PH was behind the defenders and the Noodle over threw him. Same chest pointing.....
    Well, ok. Then those where obviously bad throws. Like Rodgers overthrew Jennings in the WC game. Like Brady overthrew Moss when going for the record in week 17 against the Giants.

Again, no one's perfect on deep balls. It's a mix of letting your receivers make a play and just bad throws. Your examples where obviously bad throws.

I don't know what you're looking for here. Throw some alternatives out there for QBs who don't miss those. I don't think you'll get anyone who's better than Peyton of the guys who are playing right now. And even he misses from time to time.
    Marrdro thinks the defense stacks the box because Favre can't throw the long ball.

Fact is, the box is often stacked because we have Peterson.

It simply doesn't matter who your QB is. The long pass is a low probability play. Teams would stack the box with Manning in there. They have little choice.

Not stacking the box with Peterson in there is a recipe for a defensive drubbing. A gamble few defensive coordinators are willing to take.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

excellent points.

if Defenses played only 7 in the box, we'd just run it down their throat until they started crowding the box.

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman

jargomcfargo wrote:
    Rockmolder wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Rockmolder wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Rockmolder wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Zeus wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    maybe

LGAD
    GALD
    LDGA

=Z=

Marrdro thinks the defense stacks the box because Favre can't throw the long ball.

It simply doesn't matter who your QB is. The long pass is a low probability play. Teams would stack the box with Manning in there. They have little choice.

Not stacking the box with Peterson in there is a recipe for a defensive drubbing. A gamble few defensive coordinators are willing to take.
    I have a friend who is a GB fan and he has always said Favre throws a good deep ball and a great everything else. When you pu tall his throws together very few in the NFl match up notjsut this year but ever. Favre throws a good depp ball for me the SF game was an absolute gem. Fifty yards on a rope, I'll take that to anything TJ has done.

Second thing is there is no sense talking facts or reason with Marrdrro there is no way no how he will EVER give Favre his due. We'll just have to win the SB and hear Marrdrro complain all the way to the championship.

I do find it funny how much potential TJ has with his throws and how terrible Favre is with his-Tough defending that stance to rational person my friend (Marrdrroeze)

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

jargomcfargo wrote:
    bsmithberkley wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:

d. BB I will give you, atleast early on in the season. Were he was the rest of the season was catching short slants and go patterns because the Noodle couldn't get it deep consistently.
    Berrian had problems all year long with the hammies...BBs inability to perform downfield was his own due to injury, not, an issue with Favre's arm.

What did Favre ever due to you? Did he cut you off in traffic or something?
    Marrdro has a noodle brain when it comes to Favre.
    There's a filter that blocks out all positive input with regard to Favre.
    It's irrational to argue with some who isn't rational, so I don't usually get involved in those threads.
    Other than that and a few quirky Marrdroisms, he a pretty good guy.

Berrian has a pulled hamstring every training camp. I look for it to happen again this year.

Favre's arm is obviously fine.
    +1

What I don't get is how someone that tries to present himself as well versed in the game and maintaining spreadsheets regarding how well versed others are is so myopic when it comes to Favre's play.

Marrdro, whether you agree or not you lose credibility when you don't look at things objectively. Yes, it's a message board and yes there is such a thing. I know there are some posters that always post pie-in-the-sky crap and many don't take time to delve into their perceived reality because it just ain't worth the time. There are only a handful of posters that even attempt to post objectively and with sound reasoning in their posts. You are one of them, sometimes, but, when it comes to Favre you have your head firmly planted up your ass.

Regarding Favre's errant throws. There isn't a person that doesn't agree that he has them. Babe Ruth led the league in homeruns at one period in his career, but, he also led the league in strike outs. Favre holds the NFL records for many positive things and he also holds it for the most INTs.

To go out there and talk about a few of his supposely errant throws and using them to prove that he is a noodle is beyond absurd. I would think that someone such as yourself that likes to break down the line play would also be able to discern the difference between an errant throw and one that is tossed into a position where the receiver can make a play on it and it is out of the defense back's reach. There were many plays where he threw inside or behind a receiver where it wasn't an errant throw, but, the opposite, a throw that was from a veteran that was placed in a spot where it was catchable and not in a vulnerable spot.

I'm willing to bet that for every completely shitty throw you find you can find, at a minimum, 10X that where the throw was a thing of beauty with timing, placement, something only a veteran can do consistently. Never has it been more evident than last year watching an HOF QB play after watching the list of hacks pretending to QB for the last half a decade.

The throwing it deep argument is also ridiculous. You posted an article a week or so where they were talking about 20+ yds being deep on a toss and you offered no comment. To you with Favre it is, what, 70 yds? 40 yds? The deep ball is always a lower probability whether you have Peyton Manning, Brett Favre, Tarvaris Jackson, Ryan Leaf, or any other asshat tossing the ball. The WCO, as you know, is not about the deep ball. BTW, there were many deep balls tossed last year with varying success. I usually have to give the deep ball lecture to a 12 yr old going through puberty while wrapping his weiner around a Moss jersey.

I know you know the game better than you do when the anti-Favre tapeworm is infesting your brain. It is true insanity.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

bsmithberkley is offline Pro-Bowler

Prophet wrote:
    jargomcfargo wrote:
    bsmithberkley wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:

d. BB I will give you, atleast early on in the season. Were he was the rest of the season was catching short slants and go patterns because the Noodle couldn't get it deep consistently.
    Berrian had problems all year long with the hammies...BBs inability to perform downfield was his own due to injury, not, an issue with Favre's arm.

What did Favre ever due to you? Did he cut you off in traffic or something?
    Marrdro has a noodle brain when it comes to Favre.
    There's a filter that blocks out all positive input with regard to Favre.
    It's irrational to argue with some who isn't rational, so I don't usually get involved in those threads.
    Other than that and a few quirky Marrdroisms, he a pretty good guy.

Berrian has a pulled hamstring every training camp. I look for it to happen again this year.

Favre's arm is obviously fine.
    +1

What I don't get is how someone that tries to present himself as well versed in the game and maintaining spreadsheets regarding how well versed others are is so myopic when it comes to Favre's play.

Marrdro, whether you agree or not you lose credibility when you don't look at things objectively. Yes, it's a message board and yes there is such a thing. I know there are some posters that always post pie-in-the-sky crap and many don't take time to delve into their perceived reality because it just ain't worth the time. There are only a handful of posters that even attempt to post objectively and with sound reasoning in their posts. You are one of them, sometimes, but, when it comes to Favre you have your head firmly planted up your ass.

Regarding Favre's errant throws. There isn't a person that doesn't agree that he has them. Babe Ruth led the league in homeruns at one period in his career, but, he also led the league in strike outs. Favre holds the NFL records for many positive things and he also holds it for the most INTs.

To go out there and talk about a few of his supposely errant throws and using them to prove that he is a noodle is beyond absurd. I would think that someone such as yourself that likes to break down the line play would also be able to discern the difference between an errant throw and one that is tossed into a position where the receiver can make a play on it and it is out of the defense back's reach. There were many plays where he threw inside or behind a receiver where it wasn't an errant throw, but, the opposite, a throw that was from a veteran that was placed in a spot where it was catchable and not in a vulnerable spot.

I'm willing to bet that for every completely shitty throw you find you can find, at a minimum, 10X that where the throw was a thing of beauty with timing, placement, something only a veteran can do consistently. Never has it been more evident than last year watching an HOF QB play after watching the list of hacks pretending to QB for the last half a decade.

The throwing it deep argument is also ridiculous. You posted an article a week or so where they were talking about 20+ yds being deep on a toss and you offered no comment. To you with Favre it is, what, 70 yds? 40 yds? The deep ball is always a lower probability whether you have Peyton Manning, Brett Favre, Tarvaris Jackson, Ryan Leaf, or any other asshat tossing the ball. The WCO, as you know, is not about the deep ball. BTW, there were many deep balls tossed last year with varying success. I usually have to give the deep ball lecture to a 12 yr old going through puberty while wrapping his weiner around a Moss jersey.

I know you know the game better than you do when the anti-Favre tapeworm is infesting your brain. It is true insanity.
    I think Favre was pretty impressive even with the 40+ yard plays. Consider the following points:

1. We run the WCO which places secondary importance on long pass plays
    2. BB was nagged by hammie issues
    3. Rice, while a threat to catch one deep on any play, was just as likely to get tackled soon and not get any yardage after the catch
    4. Favre had a slow start with a limited training camp
    5. We rarely paid fom behind which would artifically increase the number of long plays

Considering all that and we still finished 7th for Percent of pass plays GT 40 per attempt (40+/att).

If you dropped the first couple of games we would have finished 3rd! in ratio of 40+/att, that's darn impressive in my book with all of the things working against Favre.

I just don't get the "Noodle" thing????

Maybe it was all those long pass plays by Tarvaris that raised our average? :laugh:

A little more respect is due to Favre, if you look at all of the Great "All Time" QB's with full career profiles he is right up at the top with respect to Season Winning Percentage. He obviously owns just about every career passing record known to man. And when you look deeper into the Interception numbers you will find he is right in the middle of the pack.

In fact, if you look at the best season for each of the great QBs you will probably find that Favre's season last year is the best individual season for any of them in their entire career with respect to interception percentage (and at the age of 40 at that!).

Noodle? Its almost sacrilegious! :silly:
    None

jargomcfargo wrote:
    Rockmolder wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Rockmolder wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Rockmolder wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Zeus wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    maybe

LGAD
    GALD
    LDGA

=Z=

And that's a whole other problem by itsself. We lost by not bringing any pressure at all and play the run. In today's league, you should always play the pass first and stay aggressive.

The good Baltimore defenses under Rex Ryan always brought blitzes. The new Baltimore defense is a vanilla team that can't get to the passer. The great 46 Bear defenses brought guys. The great Atlanta "gritz blitz" brought up to 11 people. Pressure always works. It's been proven. Big deal that you give up a big play or two per game. You'll do that when you play safe, as well.

Erm, Marc Bulger...
    "You can look pretty smart if you have a knack for planning ahead. That's Ted. The Packers are in good hands." - Ron Wolf

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Greatest show on turf.
    We're bringing purple back.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910