Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Mallett is Better than Gabbert (Insider Article)

Quote Originally Posted by "skum" #1091832
    Ive got a top 10 grade on Mallett - but thats without taking any off-field stories into consideration.. I think he is easily the most NFL ready QB in the draft, his arm gives him upside and his footwork can be corrected..

Is he arrogant and selfish? - well from the footage ive seen during his workouts, he seems like a good guy who gets on fine with his colleagues.. Thats worth something for me..

Did he smoke and do cocaine in college?.. My only question is he off that.. Every kid makes mistakes in their past.. But if you can leave it behind, it will help you grow and turn into a better person...

Im starting to like Gabbert again - i was on him and then off him, but he had an excellent pro day and did some things that impressed me..
    Damn fine post my friend.

I guess for me, the issue really is, which one best fits the scheme we are going to run as all of them that could be taken in the first round have issues and won't be ready to lead a team for about 2 to 5 years depending on the QB.

I agree that Mallet and Locker, followed closely by Gabbert seem to be the best fit for what I think the scheme is going to look like.

If they are available, they better take one at 12 cause they won't be there when we pick in the second. Then you need to look at cats like Dalton, Stanzi, Kap etc which, IMHO, aren't that big of a drop off with respect to talent.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "Brewtal" #1091824
    I would much rather have Mallet than Newton. Newton has butst written all over him in my opinion.... Mallet could possably be a bust as well, but I would rather take the chances with him. I'm still convinced the passer qb is better than the runner qb. You look at the last 10 years of playoffs/teams/QB and the passer qb wins all the super bowls.
    Newton will surely be the first one that could be labled a bust, but it won't be from a lack of talent, but rather, it will result in a team taking him and trying to use him (right away) in a scheme he can't run.

The team that takes him will have to completely change their schem to suite his skill set which is a vertical running game were the QB makes one read and then runs.

I, for one, feel sorry for Newton. So much will be expected from a fans standpoint and in all likely hood, the fans won't be patient enough to wait on him to get ready.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1091830
    I'd rather have Newton, but personally, I'd rather go with Locker.

I saw a mock, which had us picking him in the second. If we could do that I'd be pumped: http://walterfootball.com/draft2011_2.php

At that point, Mallet and Locker are still available. If we could grab either, I think it's worth it there.
    I think Locker will be a steal if he is there in the second. My guess, someone will move up into the latter part of the 1rst to take him.

If that doesn't happen, he surely won't get past the teams that passed on QB's in the first round that are ahead of us.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

My grand plan doesn't involve any of them

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

I would love if we do the following.

1) Draft Tyron Smith or the Kid from Wisconson
    2) Move Loadholt inside to play guard.
    3) Trade our 2nd, switch places in the 4th and trade a 5th to move back into the top of round and snatch Mallet( remember the lions only had to switch places with us in the 4th to get back into the 1st round last year.

I think a 1st and 2nd round collection of Mallet and Smith would be a steal. Another choice is to trade back and pass on Smith to nab Solder or Pouncey and still trade up for Mallet.

Quote Originally Posted by "kevoncox" #1091872

3) Trade our 2nd, switch places in the 4th and trade a 5th to move back into the top of round and snatch Mallet( remember the lions only had to switch places with us in the 4th to get back into the 1st round last year.

I think a 1st and 2nd round collection of Mallet and Smith would be a steal. Another choice is to trade back and pass on Smith to nab Solder or Pouncey and still trade up for Mallet.
    Not sure why everyone is so high on Pouncey. Is he talented? Yes, but he is projected to be a good fit for a Zone Blocking Scheme.

If I was gonna move Load, I would move him to LT.

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1091870
    My grand plan doesn't involve any of them
    Remind me again.....Stanzi?

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1091875

Not sure why everyone is so high on Pouncey. Is he talented? Yes, but he is projected to be a good fit for a Zone Blocking Scheme.

I think the guy can flat our play.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1091834
    Wanna point out, Harvin got busted for drugs AT THE COMBINE. Yet we love him
    I've got a sneaking suspicion that Harvin was self-medicating at or before the combine when he was caught. For one, it was only pot, and two, if he was self-medicating can you blame him? It's obvious how severe his migraine issues are, and if weed helps he should be able to smoke.

If Mallett was doing coke though, that's a different story. Generally where there's smoke there's fire(no pun intended, seriously) and if people are talking about this, it's probably more than one bump "just to try it."

But god damn does that dude have an arm... if he can prove he's intelligent enough to master a playbook and read defenses I'm down to draft him, but we could definitely move back to do so.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "kevoncox" #1091910
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1091875

I think the guy can flat our play.
    I'm with Kevon here, Pouncey can play. I don't think we're in position to take him though.

At 6'5" and an interior lineman, I'm not exactly sure how he's suited for the zone blocking scheme. Sure he's athletic, but so is Nate Solder and loads of other prospects each year.

I don't see him as more or less suited for any blocking scheme.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast