Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Re: With a lockout under way, how do we approach draft

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1091609
    Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1091608
    Someday there will be some kind of draft.

I would like to see us trade the 12th for the 17th pick New England has. New England has more picks than they can use and will surely look to move up the board at some point. I think we could get their late second round pick from them.

Some of these QB's will slide. If one comes to us unexpectedly at 12 we can take him there. If not we can, trade back, find a good player at 17,and likely find a QB in the second round.
    Will they? Pats have a habit of trading down, or acquiring MORE picks, not usually the opposite.
    True, but they have a lot of picks and not much need. It will be interesting to see if they would break the pattern if a guy they wanted was sitting at 12.
    I also doubt it will happen, but it's worth a try.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1091612

I would like to see us trade the 12th for the 17th pick New England has. New England has more picks than they can use and will surely look to move up the board at some point. I think we could get their late second round pick from them.

Some of these QB's will slide. If one comes to us unexpectedly at 12 we can take him there. If not we can, trade back, find a good player at 17,and likely find a QB in the second round.
    Will they? Pats have a habit of trading down, or acquiring MORE picks, not usually the opposite.
    True, but they have a lot of picks and not much need. It will be interesting to see if they would break the pattern if a guy they wanted was sitting at 12.
    Possibly, but one thing the Pats seem to do quite well is not reaching for players. They like to have multiple skilled players than gamble it all on one guy they have high hopes for.

Name the last hyped up rookie they drafted.

Also, remember NE has the 17th and the 28th pick in the first round
    1 and 28th pick in round 2
    10(our old pick) and 28th pick in round 3.

I see them moving around in the second or third round to get what they want, but I'd be surprised if they moved up in the first.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1091613

Possibly, but one thing the Pats seem to do quite well is not reaching for players. They like to have multiple skilled players than gamble it all on one guy they have high hopes for.

I see them moving around in the second or third round to get what they want, but I'd be surprised if they moved up in the first.
    Couple 3 excellent posts my friends.

For me, if you look to see why the Pats are so good at this, you will find the following:

a. Stability at the Coaching ranks and FO Puke Ranks. Even when they loose Coordinators or FO puke personnel, someone steps in and takes over. In almost every instance that someone comes from within.

b. Team composition. Do they plug in a few FA vets? Sure, all teams do but the core of that team is and has always been drafted by the staff and developed by the coaches.

Key thing in that process is that they don't draft (as My good friend Bleed mentions) flashy players but players projected to fit their scheme.

c. They know when. They don't try to hold onto a player to long. When he starts to slip they get rid of him.

d. Loyalty. Anyone see how PatsRandy fell in love with that organization. Even the players that get jettisoned when they are looking for a big payday, say very little with respect to something negative about the organization.

In short, despise them or not, you have to admit they are a class organization, probably the only one that comes close is the Steelers and then, as much as I hate to say it, the fricken PUKERS (of late).

That cat they call "Ted" knows how to build a team and Coach Mac nows how to select a staff that can get them ready.

Marrdro washes out his keyboard (mouth) after that last line, shuddering all the time.:sick: :sick: :sick:
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1092058

For me, if you look to see why the Pats are so good at this, you will find the following:

a. Stability at the Coaching ranks and FO Puke Ranks. Even when they loose Coordinators or FO puke personnel, someone steps in and takes over. In almost every instance that someone comes from within.

b. Team composition. Do they plug in a few FA vets? Sure, all teams do but the core of that team is and has always been drafted by the staff and developed by the coaches.

Key thing in that process is that they don't draft (as My good friend Bleed mentions) flashy players but players projected to fit their scheme.

c. They know when. They don't try to hold onto a player to long. When he starts to slip they get rid of him.

d. Loyalty. Anyone see how PatsRandy fell in love with that organization. Even the players that get jettisoned when they are looking for a big payday, say very little with respect to something negative about the organization.

In short, despise them or not, you have to admit they are a class organization, probably the only one that comes close is the Steelers and then, as much as I hate to say it, the fricken PUKERS (of late).

That cat they call "Ted" knows how to build a team and Coach Mac nows how to select a staff that can get them ready.

Marrdro washes out his keyboard (mouth) after that last line, shuddering all the time.:sick: :sick: :sick:
    Well put. I see the Pats as a model for how to build a successful franchise.

Long term stability. Don't reach or overpay. Cut early instead of late. Receive value for every pick and every free agent.
    Build a team, not a few expensive stars with lower paid supporting cast and depth.

I would like to see Zygi start walking down that path. It may take a little time to get there, but the reward should be long term competetiveness and success.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

I was right there with you until you called the patriots a "class" organization. The Patriots are many things, classy is not one of them. Do you forget they were caught cheating? Cheating is the least classy thing a sports organization can do. Winners, yes, classy no.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "jmcdon00" #1092075
    I was right there with you until you called the patriots a "class" organization. The Patriots are many things, classy is not one of them. Do you forget they were caught cheating? Cheating is the least classy thing a sports organization can do. Winners, yes, classy no.
    BOlded the important part there for you.

They were caught. Only the most naive fans will believe they were the only team doing that. Does it make it right? No, but I'm willing to bet lots of other teams until there regularly did that. Just like how most player juiced in the 70's, but only a few will admit it.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1092085

They were caught. Only the most naive fans will believe they were the only team doing that. Does it make it right? No, but I'm willing to bet lots of other teams until there regularly did that. Just like how most player juiced in the 70's, but only a few will admit it.
    Agreed, point still stands, the Patriots should never be considered a classy organization.

What would happen if the NFL simply said, fine we'll go none union. No salary cap. No draft. Each team is allowed to sign any player to any contract they choose. No profit sharing ect.

I think both the players and the league would lose out, but atleast we could get back to playing football.

Quote Originally Posted by "jmcdon00" #1092086
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1092085

Agreed, point still stands, the Patriots should never be considered a classy organization.
    Why, because they were caught doing something that EVERY team was doing?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1092071

Well put. I see the Pats as a model for how to build a successful franchise.

Long term stability. Don't reach or overpay. Cut early instead of late. Receive value for every pick and every free agent.
    Build a team, not a few expensive stars with lower paid supporting cast and depth.

I would like to see Zygi start walking down that path. It may take a little time to get there, but the reward should be long term competetiveness and success.
    Steelers and as much as I hate to say it, the PUKERS (of late under Ted) sure seem to know how to get it done.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast