Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    b_sandhar_29 is offline Starter

With a lockout under way, how do we approach draft

It seems that since the lock out is under way and there is no free agency, so how will the Vikings address the draft? Having no quarterback or third round pick, does this force us to reach on a QB in the first or possibly the second round? Seeing that so many teams have needs for QBs, I wonder if when we pass on a QB in the first (hopefully), if we'll even have one to select from when we pick in the second?

I think the dynamics of this draft will definitely change with the lockout, especially for Minnesota. You can expect QBs to go very quickly in the first and early second considering the pressing need for QB.

With that being said how does Minnesota approach the draft and season this year?
    None

b_sandhar_29 is offline Starter

Re: With a lockout under way, how do we approach draft

Although I do feel we have many needs and trading back may be essentially the best thing to do, I think they're will be a talented enough player at 12 to take who can be that game changer for our team. I don't think all our needs will be addressed this year so I don't think trying to do so otherwise is a smart move by the FO. Get the players we can and make do with them. Hopefully Webb is throwing to Percy, BB, or Sidney Rice working on his game for this season. I really hope he shows the league up this year.
    None

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

It's not going to matter. The players are challenging the draft, meaning there will be no draft this year.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1091464
    It's not going to matter. The players are challenging the draft, meaning there will be no draft this year.
    What? First I've heard this. In fact, legal guys from both sides, on Friday, said that this will not affect the draft as it was part of the last CBA.

What will be affected is:

a. Can't use draft picks for aquiring Vets.
    b. Won't be able to sign your rookies.
    c. Future drafts.....As it stands, the 2012 draft and beyond was not part of the last CBA so how the rooks get into the league is still TBD.

Nothing I've heard so far, again as late as last Friday said anything other than that.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

To answer the first question:

Alot of articles out there on every team and the anticipated effect the lockout will have on how each team will approach the draft.

In essence, it will be different for each team, based on what they think will help best craft their team for 2011.

I think the bigger question is, what, if any, type of player will the teams go after when it comes to "Non-Locked Out" players.

Anyone else remember "Scab Football"?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1091480
    What? First I've heard this. In fact, legal guys from both sides, on Friday, said that this will not affect the draft as it was part of the last CBA.

c. Future drafts.....As it stands, the 2012 draft and beyond was not part of the last CBA so how the rooks get into the league is still TBD.

Nothing I've heard so far, again as late as last Friday said anything other than that.
    I think I found what my good friend i_bleed was talking about (perhaps)...

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, the NFL Players Association has contacted 17 top prospects who would normally be expected to attend the Draft in New York City and informed them not to go. So while the Draft would go forward, the young players would not walk on stage to pose with the uniform of their new team, nor to shake hands with Commissioner Roger Goodell, nor to be interviewed for the NFL Network and ESPN. In fact, according to Schefter's report, the Players Association may organize a competing draft event for another TV network that would feature live access to the pro prospects.
    Report: NFL Players Association organizing draft boycott

Again, I can find nothing that says the draft isn't going to happen this year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1091526

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, the NFL Players Association has contacted 17 top prospects who would normally be expected to attend the Draft in New York City and informed them not to go. So while the Draft would go forward, the young players would not walk on stage to pose with the uniform of their new team, nor to shake hands with Commissioner Roger Goodell, nor to be interviewed for the NFL Network and ESPN. In fact, according to Schefter's report, the Players Association may organize a competing draft event for another TV network that would feature live access to the pro prospects.

Not what I was talking about.

Apparantly the NFL players (the ten suing the league) are challening the NFL draft. If the draft is being challenged, that means it won't happen until the lawuit is finished. No free agency, no draft, there's going to be nothing.

As of now, the draft is still scheduled to happen, but we'll see if that's actually the case.

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1091552
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1091526

Not what I was talking about.

Apparantly the NFL players (the ten suing the league) are challening the NFL draft. If the draft is being challenged, that means it won't happen until the lawuit is finished. No free agency, no draft, there's going to be nothing.

As of now, the draft is still scheduled to happen, but we'll see if that's actually the case.
    OK. My bad. Still can't find what your talking about though.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Someday there will be some kind of draft.

I would like to see us trade the 12th for the 17th pick New England has. New England has more picks than they can use and will surely look to move up the board at some point. I think we could get their late second round pick from them.

Some of these QB's will slide. If one comes to us unexpectedly at 12 we can take him there. If not we can, trade back, find a good player at 17,and likely find a QB in the second round.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1091608
    Someday there will be some kind of draft.

I would like to see us trade the 12th for the 17th pick New England has. New England has more picks than they can use and will surely look to move up the board at some point. I think we could get their late second round pick from them.

Some of these QB's will slide. If one comes to us unexpectedly at 12 we can take him there. If not we can, trade back, find a good player at 17,and likely find a QB in the second round.
    Will they? Pats have a habit of trading down, or acquiring MORE picks, not usually the opposite.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast