Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Live NFL draft chat with Zulgad and Scoggins

Join Judd Zulgad and Chip Scoggins at noon to talk about this weekend's NFL draft.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/43254327.html

Marrdro's comments follow:
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHHHAHHAHA
    AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAH

Whew

AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHHAHHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHH

Not sure about you guys/gals, but I can hardly wait...... ;D

Sorry couldn't type that with a straight face.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Live NFL draft chat with Zulgad and Scoggins

11:51
    Star Tribune:
    Welcome to the Vikings live chat with Judd and Chip. We'll start at noon, but you can leave questions now.
    11:56
    [Comment From Nap Mike Hol]
    Why won't the Vikings consider offering say their first 3 picks, and maybe a player, to the Cardinals for Boldin and their #31 (that the Vikings could still use to get a tackle like Phil Loadholt)? Boldin is a proven possession receiver who won’t take years to develop like those in the draft and nobody should care much about a third rounder, since they rarely pan out, especially for Vikings. Moreover, the Vikings could likely sign Boldin for the same 7 or 8 million per year they gave Berrian.
    11:58
    Judd:
    OK, let's get started. I did some checking last week and it appears the asking price for Boldin (a first and third) is simply too high for most teams, including the Vikings. Thus, there is no way they are going to give up their top three picks. Keep in mind, too, there are reports that Boldin has a chronic hip condition that could be a problem.
    11:58
    [Comment From Tim]
    Should we draft Harvin if he is there?
    12:00
    Chip Scoggins:
    To me, right tackle is a bigger need at this point. Harvin would be tempting if he is still on the board but I would go with a tackle -- provided that one you like is still available.
    12:00
    [Comment From Tim]
    Do you think Vontae Davis will be available for our pick? If not what are your thoughts on Alphonso Smith.
    12:01
    12:02
    Judd:

There are character questions about Davis but a report that he tested positive for marijuana at the NFL Scouting Combine
    proved to be untrue. This should help Davis' stock go up a bit, but I do think there is a chance he's available at 22. Smith visited with the Vikings and is a big-time playmakers and has 21 career picks but he's only 5-8 and is considered a selective hitter. Antoine Winfield isn't big but he hits everything that moves.
    12:02
    [Comment From VikeNut]
    I'm hoping for a WR in the draft, either Harvin or Nicks at number 22. Two questions, which one is the best bet, Harvin with his speed or Nicks with the good route running and good hands? Also can the Vikes pick up a decent OT later in the draft? What do you think?
    12:03
    12:04
    Chip Scoggins:
    You're right in that they are two completely different receivers. I like Harvin because he's so versatile. He can play out wide, in the slot, take occasional handoffs, maybe return kicks. His baggage is a concern though. Nicks is a bigger receiver with probably the best hands of any receiver in the draft. Loadholt from Oklahoma might be available in the second round if they go with a receiver at No. 22.
    12:04
    [Comment From Guest]
    Is trading down a possibility? Eben Britton is not worthy of the 22nd pick and Harvin has the "red flags" Childress seems to loath.
    12:05
    Judd:
    Yes, I think trading down is
    a real possibility and I still think the Vikings could get an offensive tackle if they do so (Beatty or Loadholt). Not sure if Harvin has a red dot on him but I agree that he doesn't seem like he would be a good fit on a Childress-coached team.
    [Comment From Tim]
    If Britton, Vontae Davis, and Harvin are all available, who should they take?
    12:06
    Chip Scoggins:
    I would go with Britton, then Harvin. Davis would be third on my list. Again, I think right tackle is the top priority.
    [Comment From Michael]
    CNNSI has Vonte Davis going to the Vikings in the SECOND round...Is there ANY chance he lasts that long?
    Judd:

I'm thinking
    that today's news that Davis did not test positive at the combine is going to change where he's ranked by some mock drafts.
    12:07
    [Comment From John]
    Do you think the QB from Kansas State will fall to 22? I think we would have to take him if that happens. What do you think?
    12:07
    12:08
    Chip Scoggins:

John, I don't think Freeman will fall that far. He is a big quarterback with a lot of physical skills but I think he's still a project who might need two years before he's ready to start. But again I don't think he will be available.
    12:08
    [Comment From Neal]
    Is Sullvian the answer at C, or any chance they look at Unger or Mack in first round?
    12:09
    Judd:
    Brad Childress seems comfortable with the fact John Sullivan might be his starting center. I would not be surprised if the Vikings took a center in this draft but I don't think it's going to be Unger or Mack, either of whom could go in the first round.
    [Comment From mlemke63]
    what are the odds we extend/re-sign antoine winfield? I see corner/ as an area that needs some longer term thinking.
    12:11
    Chip Scoggins:
    The Vikings are talking with Winfield's agent about a new deal so I would think that something will get done before the season. But you're right about needing to address that area, Winfield is entering his 11th season so they need to find an eventual replacement.

[Comment From Nathan]
    Where do you think Willie VanDesteeg will go in the draft?
    12:12
    Judd:

He's an in-between player and at best will go in the sixth or seventh round. He
    might be better off to go undrafted and then have the choice of a few teams as a free agent.
    12:12
    [Comment From Dale]
    Should we trade up to get one of the better run blocking ot's
    12:13
    12:13
    Chip Scoggins:
    I don't think they need to trade up if they think Britton will be there for them at No. 22. I like Oher but I doubt he will still be around at that spot. Britton sounds like he could be a physical run blocker on the right side.
    12:14
    [Comment From Snapit]
    Walterfootball.com has us picking CB Darius Butler in the first. This is the first I've heard of this pick. Your thoughts?
    Judd:
    Buter, a UConn product, has shot up in terms of value and there has been speculation about him landing with the Vikings. I'm still thinking Minnesota takes a tackle.
    [Comment From Fubster from Virginia]
    Do the NFL know about combine drug test results before draft day?
    12:15
    Chip Scoggins:

Apparently teams get the drug test results today. PFT.com reported that fewer than 10 players tested positive.
    [Comment From chewy53]
    Where do you think the Vikes will draft a qb? Who?
    12:16
    Judd:
    Not sure they will. Traded up to get John David Booty in the fifth round last year and gave up a fourth-rounder in this year's draft to get Rosenfels. They need a fourth QB to take some reps in camp but that might be an undrafted player.
    12:16
    [Comment From Jay]
    Everyone is talking Vikings, I want to know who you guys think will be the #1 overall? I'm thinking you would say Stanford but would you think the only DT projected in round 1 B.J. Raji should be picked.
    12:17
    Chip Scoggins:

Most people think the Lions will take Stafford. As for defensive tackles, Raji and Peria Jerry from Ole Miss will go in the first round.
    12:17
    [Comment From Shaymuskm]
    Any buzz about Pat White coming from the Vikings' Front office?
    12:18
    Judd:
    Nope. Mike Mayock of the NFL Network said last week that he think the Vikings should target White in the second round and utilize him in the Wildcat next season. Sounds like a good idea but I simply can't see that happening with this offense.
    12:18
    [Comment From krugjr]
    any "locker room feeling" from the players on their reaction to Sage's arrival?
    12:20
    Chip Scoggins:
    Everybody's been positive that we've talked to. I get the sense that he's a good locker room guy who will blend in pretty easily. We'll get a better idea once minicamps and training camp
    starts.

12:20
    [Comment From Michael]
    Should we make a play with any of our picks for Brady Quinn?
    12:21
    Judd:
    I don't think that's going to happen. Vikings had no real interest in Quinn when he came out of college and it's not as if he's lit the world on fire in Cleveland. Folks, I think Rosenfels and Jackson are your two QBs unless there is a possibility of guy like McNabb ending up here.
    12:21
    [Comment From Russ]
    If the Vikes take RT and WR in the first two rounds, what position will they focus on in the third round?
    12:22
    Chip Scoggins:

They could look to add depth in the secondary or possibly defensive tackle.
    12:22
    [Comment From BB]
    What percent say does Childress and Speilman each have in selecting a player?
    12:23
    Judd:
    Spielman is the guy who does the year-round work on the draft but Childress has a huge say as well in how this works. Childress must decide if he and his staff can coach a player and even if Spielman loves the guy, if Childress says no then that player isn't coming here. Remember, Childress said last year he has final say of the 53-man roster and who makes the team.
    [Comment From steve]
    where will james laurinitis go in the draft? even though the vikes are deep in linebackers, would a local boy on the team generate some ticket sales?
    12:24
    Chip Scoggins:
    I've seen anywhere from 16 to 30. I think Laurinaitis will definitely go in the first round but I can't see it being with the vikings.
    12:24
    [Comment From GradyV]
    If the Vikings select a RT will Ryan Cook move to Center
    12:25
    Judd:
    The Vikings have said Cook will get some work at center this offseason
    but Cook said a few weeks ago that no one has talked to him about that possibility. I don't see Cook as a realistic option to end up as the starting center. Perhaps he could be used in a backup role at a few positions, including as an emergency center.
    12:25
    [Comment From Snapit]
    Why has Britton's stock dropped? Word is he was a top-3 tackle before the offseason and many projected him to be the first tackle off the board next season had he stayed.
    12:27
    Chip Scoggins:
    I don't know if his stock has really dropped that much. The top three tackles and maybe Oher are just a
    slight notch above him. I still think Britton would be a solid pick at No. 22.
    12:27
    [Comment From Mike]
    You said something intersting bringing up Donocan Mcnabb any chance the vikes make a trade for him?
    12:28
    Judd:
    First off, thanks for saying I said something interesting. I don't think the Eagles are going to be willing to trade McNabb anytime soon but it would be foolish to think the Vikings (and a few other teams)
    don't keep in touch with the folks out in Philly.
    12:28
    [Comment From Jeff]
    What's the latest word on Booty and his progression? and TJack's mindset now that the job is not his?
    12:29
    Chip Scoggins:

Brad Childress said
    Booty is
    making progress and that he "changed his body" this offseason, but it doesn't sound like he's ready to challenge for the starting job just yet.
    12:29
    [Comment From mlemke63]
    Can you give me the definition of "best player available"? It seems that's a cop out for "we didn't get the guy we wanted".
    12:30
    Judd:
    I've often thought the same thing. One thing that's interesting -- and I wrote about Sunday -- is how the Vikings and other teams stack their board horizontally, meaning there can be several options for "best player available" and thus you can also grab a player at a position of need. If the board is only stacked vertically, there can only be one "best player available."
    12:30
    [Comment From aaron]
    we need malcom jenkins if he drops
    12:31
    Chip Scoggins:

Jenkins would be a very good selection and would help a need, but I really don't think he would fall to No. 22.
    [Comment From Brian S]
    I keep hearing some steam about a DE out of Northern Illinois, I believe his name is Larry English. Where do you think he will go in the draft, and any chance the Vikes take a flyer on another end with projected great upside?
    Judd:
    English likely will go in the second round and considering he plays end I don't think there is any chance he ends up in Minnesota.
    [Comment From Snapit]
    What about DT Peria Jerry in round 1? He might be BPA and is quite a beastly DT. Seems like he'd fit our scheme well and could potentially take right over for Pat in a season or two. Or do you think the Vikes will address DT in later rounds or even next year?
    12:33
    Chip Scoggins:

I guess wouldn't be surprised if they took Jerry if he were still available. They need to start looking for Pat Williams replacement and they could be without the Williamses for the first four games if their suspensions are upheld. But again I think Jerry could be gone a few picks before No. 22.
    12:33
    [Comment From Jim]
    Would you draft a RB high in this draft in case Adrian goes down?
    12:34
    Judd:
    No. Remember, Chester Taylor will return and he'd be a No. 1 running back for most teams.
    [Comment From Danny]
    Is maclin really a lock to go before 22? Last year many thought a few wrs would be drafted earlier than they were?
    Chip Scoggins:

I think he's a lock to be gone before No. 22.
    [Comment From Guest]
    Obviously you cannot draft for 4 games but if there is a chance we will be 'Williams free' the first four games, does the need to backup the defensive line throw a wrench into the draft order?
    12:35
    Judd:
    I don't think it throws a wrench into the process because with the trial coming up in June the Vikings know they might lose the two for the first four games. Would not surprise me at all to see them grab a DT early in this draft. Chip and I don't agree on this one, however.
    12:35
    [Comment From Guest]
    How much contract is left on Chester Taylor?
    12:36
    12:37
    Chip Scoggins:
    He's entering the final year of his four-year deal. Wouldn't be surprising if they sign him to another deal before or during the season. Taylor likes it here and is comfortable with his role as Peterson's backup.
    12:37
    [Comment From Nick]
    You keep saying you believe OT is a bigger "need" so thatseems like the likely pick position pick at 22. That sure doesnt sound like a "value" pick r a BPA aoach, sems like a total need pick. Most experts lately dont have Britton a value at22. If BC and Co pick him at 22, I think mst would be disappointed and realize we drafted for need at 22? Thoughts
    12:38
    Judd:
    That's why they might trade down and still take a tackle. The bottom line is this is a team coming off a 10-6 season and one that has limited window and needs help at right tackle. Wouldn't shock me if they did trade down, but I expect them to grab a tackle.
    [Comment From Andrew]
    Do you both agree on who the Vikings take in the first round?
    Chip Scoggins:
    Yes, I think we both agree on Britton at No. 22.,
    [Comment From Tony]
    Are there any fullbacks that have value in the draft because I don't think Tahi is that good to be a starter.
    12:39
    Judd:
    There are fullbacks that have value but I'm not thinking this is atop the Vikings' need list. Fullbacks can't be signed as free agents. The Vikings elected to keep Tahi after he signed that offer sheet with the Bengals, so I'm thinking they continue to like him. Keep in mind, Peterson said last year he prefers to run without a fullback in front of him. Perhaps Tahi doesn't see the field as much in 2009.
    [Comment From jasonz]
    Have you read the Michael Oher story in "The Blind Side: Evolution of a Game"?
    12:41
    Chip Scoggins:
    I haven't read the book but I'm familiar with his story. It really is amazing what he endured as a kid. It just speaks to his perseverance that he was able to survive and put himself in this position.
    12:41
    [Comment From Snapit]
    If Cushing or Maualuga is available, how crazy would it be to take a LB at 22? I love EJ and Greenway, but Leber isn't a great third LB. Unless you think otherwise.
    12:42
    Judd:
    I disagree. I think Leber is very solid and no I don't think the Vikings grab a LB at 22. However, your scenario could provide a perfect case for "let's make a deal." It's in these situations that if you're Rick Spielman, you look to get more picks from a team.
    12:42
    [Comment From Jeremy]
    I keep reading WR is a "need". Have we completely given up on Sidney rice already? Seems he is a good fit behind Berrian with Wade being a good #3 ???
    12:43
    Chip Scoggins:
    I wouldn't say they have given up on Rice, but he needs to show that he can stay healthy and take another step. But I think it's obvious they need more playmakers on the outside to make teams pay for putting eight, nine guys in the box to stop Peterson.
    12:43
    [Comment From Nick]
    There was talk of pretty intense contract talks with Winfield a couple weeks ago, do you think they could have a deal done or in place but wating for the draft so not to tip their hand? A Winfield extension could affect our pick dont you think?
    12:44
    Judd:
    Sounds like talks might have slowed on the Winfield front but that's not unusual for contract negotiations. Many times this type of thing won't even get out so nobody knows about the stops and starts and they don't matter. Your scenario is certainly possible, although given Winfield's experience in the NFL they are going to have to look for a replacement at some point soon -- new contract or no new contract.
    12:44
    [Comment From Andy]
    any chance we take TE Pettigrew if he is there at 22?
    12:46
    Chip Scoggins:
    I think that would be a huge reach that would be extremely unpopular among fans. Pettigrew is more a blocking tight end.
    He will probably go in the first round, but I would be shocked if the Vikings took him.

12:46
    [Comment From zach]
    what are the chances the vikings trade up to get a tackle??
    12:47
    Judd:

Pretty slim. They'll stand pat or trade down but I don't see

them trading up in order to pay a pick more money. Not unless it's a very short jump up the board.
    12:47
    [Comment From Rick]
    with Sharper gone, do you think Johnson can step up. we sure missed Sharper in the 2nd half of last years playoff game with the Eagles
    12:49
    Chip Scoggins:

Sharper's physical skills obviously declined last year so I think it's
    probably a good move to see if Johnson is ready to be the starter, I'm sure he will experience more growing pains this year, but it was probably time to make that move.
    12:49
    [Comment From Guest]
    Why don't the Vikings sign Runyan or Tausher as a right tackle and then draft a wide receiver?
    12:50
    Judd:
    Injury concerns. Tauscher might not be back until well after training camp is underway. The Vikings liked Jordan Gross and Vernon Carey and both re-signed with their original teams before hitting free agency. Those are the guys the Vikings targeted. After that, they turned their attention to the draft.
    [Comment From Steve]
    Where are EJ Henderson and Heath Farwell in their rehab? 100 percent? Do we take a mid round flyer on a backup linebacker, just in case either isn't ready?
    12:51
    Chip Scoggins:
    Both are back. I talked to Henderson last week and he's doing everything in offseason workouts. I don't think linebacker is a huge priority with the draft.
    12:51
    [Comment From Jon]
    Prior to the draft, how do you see the order of finish in the NFC North?
    12:52
    Judd:
    Judd: Vikings, Chicago, Green Bay, Detroit

Chip: Vikings, Chicago, Green Bay, Detroit

How about that for being on the same page.
    [Comment From James]
    after seeing the 2009 schedule do you think the vikings will make it to the playoffs? and what do you think their record will be?
    12:53
    Chip Scoggins:

The schedule certainly sets up nicely for them to make the playoffs. My initial reaction was 9 or 10 wins.
    12:53
    [Comment From Nick]
    Outside of the OT and WR, do you see any possible "sleeper" picks at 22, a player the TOA might coveat? Outside Crabtree the round 1 WRs scare me so I hope its RT or anything but WR at 22. TWill flashbacks.
    12:54
    Judd:

The general feeling is the top of this draft isn't great and scares a lot of teams, thus that's why they are trying to move down. I don't see any real big-time sleepers sliding to them but I do think they should get a solid player at 22.
    12:54
    [Comment From jesse]
    With Leslie Frazier returning as def coord, will the vikes defense see more improvement?
    12:56
    Chip Scoggins:
    They finished sixth in total defense last year. I think they should be better if the Williamses are not suspended and they avoid any major injuries to their stars. Getting E.J. Henderson back is a huge step.
    12:56
    [Comment From Tony]
    What happened to Marcus McCauley? If hes still around then why do they need a 7th corener?
    12:58
    Judd:
    McCauley went from being a regular contributor in 2007 to having an extremely limited role in 2008. He's going to have to make the roster in camp and I'd say at this point there is no guarantee that happens. I get zero feeling this team projects McCauley as a long-term starter.
    [Comment From James]
    Do both of you agree on the teams 2 biggest needs? and what are they?
    Chip Scoggins:
    We disagree on this one. I say right tackle and wide receiver. Judd goes with right tackle and cornerback.
    [Comment From Matt M.]
    When will we know the status of the Williamses?
    12:59
    Judd:
    The court date is June 15, so the Vikings certainly have time to plan their strategy for a worst-case scenario.
    12:59
    [Comment From Purp1eOne]
    Udeze going to contribute this year?
    1:00
    Chip Scoggins:
    Hard to say. It all depends on how he's recovered physically. I don't think anyone really knows until he gets on the field. It's amazing that he's even in this position though.
    1:00
    [Comment From Kyle]
    Have you heard anything about Jaymar Johnson? Any improvement on the practice squad? I know he had the speed and hands to be a threat, just not the build.
    1:01
    Judd:
    Team likes his potential, he has the abilty to be a return man but he's going to have to win a job in camp. That certainly isn't a given.
    1:01
    [Comment From Tony]
    Do you think that we should get another DE because of Ray Edwards' lack of sacks with Jared Allen, and also have Otis Grigsby as a backup?
    1:02
    Chip Scoggins:
    Tony, they re-signed Jayme Mitchell who suffered the season-ending knee injury in the preseason. The team likes his potential so he should be in the mix for playing time.
    [Comment From discgolfer]
    How about the status of Charles Gordon? After suffering possibly the most horrendous looking leg injury, is there any improvement in his condition?
    Star Tribune:
    We're wrapping up folks, so thanks for weighing in. Don't forget to check in on the Access Vikings blog and watch for a new video every day breaking down the draft.
    Judd:
    Yes, he has signed a new deal and is expected to be ready for training camp. that's it's folks, thanks and join us again on Saturday for a pre-draft chat.

My favorite.
    ;D

[Comment From BB]

Judd:
    Spielman is the guy who does the year-round work on the draft but Childress has a huge say as well in how this works. Childress must decide if he and his staff can coach a player and even if Spielman loves the guy, [size=12pt]if Childress says no then that player isn't coming here[/size]. Remember, Childress said last year he has final say of the 53-man roster and who makes the team.

"marstc09" wrote:
    My favorite.
    ;D

[Comment From BB]

Judd:
    Spielman is the guy who does the year-round work on the draft but Childress has a huge say as well in how this works. Childress must decide if he and his staff can coach a player and even if Spielman loves the guy, [size=12pt]if Childress says no then that player isn't coming here[/size]. Remember, Childress said last year he has final say of the 53-man roster and who makes the team.
    LOL, I still like the very first post in this thread.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    My favorite.
    ;D

[Comment From BB]

Judd:

;D
    What makes you right?
    : You claim all the time that Spielman has the ultimate say in the draft. IMO that is incorrect and so does Judd, whom has more contact with the FO than anyone here.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"marstc09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    My favorite.
    ;D

[Comment From BB]

Judd:

;D
    What makes you right?
    : You claim all the time that Spielman has the ultimate say in the draft. IMO that is incorrect and so does Judd, whom has more contact with the FO than anyone here.
    He's having trouble putting his tail between his legs.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

"C" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    My favorite.
    ;D

[Comment From BB]

Judd:

;D
    What makes you right?
    I am waiting for this
    :-[ in his next post.

"marstc09" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    My favorite.
    ;D

[Comment From BB]

Judd:

;D
    What makes you right?
    I am waiting for this
    LOL, I am actually having probs, keep getting kicked out when I try to post.

Serisously though, do you really think that Judd is a credible source?
    Hell I posted a link to a direct quote from ole Ricky boy and you guys discounted it with no credible justification. Why should I dane to adress this miniscule quote especially when it comes from one of the sports hack yutz's in MN? :

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    [quote author=marstc09 link=topic=51503.msg936299#msg936299 date=1240250914]
    My favorite.
    ;D

[Comment From BB]

Judd:

;D
    What makes you right?
    I am waiting for this
    LOL, I am actually having probs, keep getting kicked out when I try to post.

Serisously though, do you really think that Judd is a credible source?
    Hell I posted a link to a direct quote from ole Ricky boy and you guys discounted it with no credible justification. Why should I dane to adress this miniscule quote especially when it comes from one of the sports hack yutz's in MN? :
    [/quote]

Judd is more credible than anyone here.

That quote says nothing that you posted. The only thing it says is...

That’s why I said we do this as a whole ... everybody gets to weigh in their opinions and [size=14pt]we[/size] decide what’s best for the organization and we’ll go from there
    So how does that prove your point?
    :

Chilly and Spielman are both decision makers.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast