marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Live Chat with Zulgad and Scoggins 6-1-09

11:34
    Star Tribune:
    Hello. Welcome to today's Live Chat with Judd and Chip. You can start leaving questions now and they'll be here at noon to offer their wisdom and insights.
    11:55
    [Comment From Mike A]
    [size=12pt]Do you think Pat WIlliams TJack talk was taken out of context? Or has there been any reason to question Tjacks work ethic?[/size]
    11:58
    Judd:
    I don't think it was taken out of context -- he said it on radio for all to hear -- but I do think Pat Williams has a tendency to say things he thinks aren't a big deal and everyone else goes "Did he just say what I think he said." It was interesting that Brad Childress did not even wait for a question on the subject Friday before he began defending Jackson and although a lot of things have been said about Jackson I don't think his work ethic has ever been questioned.
    11:58
    [Comment From Guest]
    [size=12pt]Looks like Harvin will get to return kicks this year. How does he look at doing that?[/size]
    11:59
    Chip Scoggins:
    He looked more comfortable catching kickoffs than punts, which is to be expected. He obviously has great speed but he needs to show he can catch the ball cleanly. That should come with time and practice. Remember, he only returned kicks in practice in college.
    11:59
    [Comment From Nick]
    [size=12pt]I had heard there might be a resolution to this whole Favre ordeal this past weekend, yet no new information has come out. Are there any whispers you've been hearing lately, or has the whole things come to a stand still right now?[/size]
    12:01
    Judd:
    Everything seems to be quiet right now and

we still don't know if Favre has had a procedure performed to fix his biceps or if he is going to just hope it heals. As for the report that there might be a resolution, Peter King had that last week in his MMQB column. He did not cite a source and it read more like that is what he had been told in a casual manner. A lot of us have been told a lot of things about this Favre situation. Little of it has turned out to be true.
    12:01
    [Comment From Viking John]
    [size=12pt]How did Allison and McCauley look? Two guys that you previously stated were on the bubble.[/size]
    12:03
    Chip Scoggins:
    VJ, McCauley got a lot of work with the first team in place of Winfield. Both Childress and Frazier said he's had a really good attitude this offseason after a disappointing season. He seemed pretty upbeat when I talked to him yesterday. Allison made a few plays and is working as both punt and kickoff returner.
    12:03
    [Comment From John R]
    [size=12pt]How has E.J. Henderson looked so far?[/size]
    12:04
    Judd:
    Contact is not allowed at minicamp so it's tough to give a complete scouting report but if you're worried about the dislocated toes Henderson suffered last season he appeared to be moving around just fine. Brad Childress has said that Henderson probably could have returned at the end of last season but the team did not want to rush him.
    12:04
    [Comment From Cjw]
    [size=12pt]With the talk of the Wildcat being used, would you guess thats more to get Harvin involved, or to have AP and Chester on the field together?[/size]
    12:05
    Chip Scoggins:
    CJW, My guess is to get Harvin involved, although Taylor certainly looked comfortable running it too. But I think the coaches want to get Harvin involved in as many ways as possible to maximize his speed and athletic ability. He lined up all over the field this weekend.
    12:05
    [Comment From Dave V]
    [size=12pt]Do you think Childress and Bevel will truly abandon their conservative play calling with two outstanding play makers on the field? For example, will AP be on the field for more critical third down plays?[/size]
    12:06
    Judd:
    If what we saw this weekend is any indication, the Vikings playbook is going to be opened up in 2009. Should be fun for everyone to
    watch.
    The second part of your question is interesting because the Vikings are going to use Peterson on third down when they are convinced he can carry out his assignment in pass protection. Peterson must improve in this area and he knows it.
    12:07
    [Comment From JDUBBS]
    [size=12pt]I have been hearing a lot of the naysayers say that Harvin isn't a polished route runner and that there is little room in the NFL for gimmick players without a position. After seeing Harvin in action this weekend, do you think Harvin's talent translates well to the NFL level? [/size]
    12:08
    Chip Scoggins:
    Hey Dubbs. Harvin is undeniably a special talent. His speed and athleticism are obvious in everything he does. The catch that Judd
    wrote about on the blog
    was a perfect example. He will make a big difference in the offense.

12:08
    [Comment From Mixmasterb]
    [size=12pt]Hey Guys. Love the blogs and realled liekd the tweets from minicamp. What is your impression of JD Booty. Some of your comments made it sound like he is looking pretty sharp which is great news considering how poorly he played last preseason. Do you think he is shaping up to be a starter next year(Sept 2010)?[/size]
    12:09
    Judd:
    The Tweets are going to be great for training camp when Chip and I can split up with him watching one field and me watching the other. Fun stuff. Booty has clearly lost weight and looks to have a better understanding of things. Starter in 2010? Who knows. This was a minicamp but I'd say he's definitely taken some big steps this offseason.
    12:09
    [Comment From Ben]
    [size=12pt]Will Phil Loadholt be an instant upgrade this year at RT?[/size]
    12:11
    Chip Scoggins:
    Ben, I think so. I was impressed with the way Loadholt moved. He's obviously enormous and has long arms and is tough for defensive ends to get around. But he seems to be physical and moves his feet well. He had one false start penalty this weekend and is probably swimming a little bit with all the information he's getting. But I think he'll be a nice addition on the right side.
    12:12
    [Comment From Joe V]
    [size=12pt]Will Winfield get a contract from the Vikes? If so how long do you think it will be for? Or are they not interested in him after this season?[/size]
    12:14
    Judd:
    Not sure at this point if that will happen. Negotiations have come to a halt and the fact Winfield missed the entire minicamp -- even for a funeral -- certainly raised some eyebrows. I think the Vikings are definitely interested in him but Winfield turns 32 in June. He would probably like five years and the Vikings more like three. That doesn't matter as much as guaranteed money. That's likely the big sticking point. One option would be putting the franchise tag on him for 2010 but not many players his age have gotten that tag.
    12:14
    [Comment From Scott Ritter]
    [size=12pt]After a solid 2008, what are your thoughts on Visanthe Shiancoe for 2009?[/size]
    12:16
    Chip Scoggins:
    Scott, Judd and I were talking about Shiancoe at practice yesterday. The guy just seems to catch everything thrown his way now. His confidence obviously grew last season as he became more comfortable in the offense. He proved to be a reliable target over the middle. He is always one of the last guys to leave the practice field because he's always putting in extra work, and I think it's paid off for him.
    12:16
    [Comment From Mark D.]
    [size=12pt]Did anyone get a photo of the wig Childress was wearing yesterday? It must have been a good disguise if some of the players didn't even recognize him![/size]
    12:17
    Judd:
    Yes, check out our blog entry from yesterday. We have a link to FOX9 video that is about 3 minutes of Childress' hair. It was a pretty good disguise and, once again, shows the guy has a sense of humor. He said the disguise worked great at the Senior Bowl when he also grew
    a bit of a beard.
    12:17
    [Comment From JasoninHawaii]
    [size=12pt]Aloha from Hawaii! 7AM! Does it look like the vikes may be turning a little towards the offensive juggernaut of old? The predictability of the past few years has been tiring to watch, but running an offense like back in 99 with the defense we have now would be nearly unstoppable![/size]
    12:19
    Chip Scoggins:
    Jason, we're jealous! The Vikings certainly were tinkering with a lot of different formations and plays this weekend. That doesn't mean they will use them in the season. But I do think that Harvin's arrival has caused the coaches to at least experiment more and try and be more creative. If you draft a player with that much versatility and playmaking ability, you obviously should open things up and see what he can do.
    12:19
    [Comment From John R]
    [size=12pt]What do you think will happen with the Williams Wall? Will the suspension be the first 4 games or could this thing drag on further into the season?[/size]
    12:20
    Judd:
    The case is due in state court on Tuesday. If they are suspended it would be for the first four games and yes it's possible this could drag into the season. However, I'm thinking with only two issues left that we should be able to get a resolution this summer. Of course, it is the law and these things can take time.
    12:20
    [Comment From Narby]
    [size=12pt]Are any DE's stepping up this year to go along with Allen? Last year it seemed like Robison provided the 2nd best pass rush option, can he play every down?[/size]
    12:21
    Chip Scoggins:
    Narby, I thought Robison and Ray Edwards had good minicamps. Both seemed to get strong pass rushes at different times in team drills. I also think Jayme Mitchell will add quality depth once he gets back 100 percent from his knee injury.
    12:21
    [Comment From Mike R]
    [size=12pt]What are the vikes going to do for 3rd string RB? I miss Mewelde Moore![/size]
    12:22
    Chip Scoggins:
    Mike, it looks like it will be a pretty good competition between Albert Young and rookie Ian Johnson. Both got plenty of reps this weekend. I wouldn't be surprised to see Harvin get some carries too.
    12:22
    [Comment From BrooksColorado]
    [size=12pt]Any thoughts about Udeze moving inside if the williams wall does get suspended? I like Fred Evens but havnt heard anything about Letroy Guion?[/size]
    12:23
    Judd:
    Guion actually was getting second-team reps this weekend and at times appeared to be ahead of Evans. However, d-coordinator Leslie Frazier said that Evans is progressing and expressed no concern. Jimmy Kennedy also is in the mix. Udeze is just trying to get back into football shape and his focus needs to be on doing that and playing end. I don't see anyway he moves inside. Robison can play inside in certain passing situations for a change of pace.
    12:24
    [Comment From JayVike]
    [size=12pt]How do you think Berrian will benefit from Harvin being on the field?[/size]
    12:25
    Chip Scoggins:
    Jay, it should allow Berrian to see more single coverages. Leslie Frazier said defenses will have to game plan for Harvin because he is so dynamic so that should benefit everyone on offense.
    12:25
    [Comment From Scott Ritter]
    [size=12pt]Thoughts on Karl Paymah? The secondary is shaping up for a intense training camp battle. What is your outlook?[/size]
    12:26
    Judd:
    You are correct. And this is with Charles Gordon still not on the field. Interesting, that Marcus McCauley replaced Winfield with the first team this weekend opposite Griffin. Paymah worked with the second team and is going to be used on all special teams. Paymah also will compete for a job in the nickel. My guess is Paymah, Sapp and Gordon stage a big-time competition for that role, if Gordon is able to return from his leg injury.
    12:26
    [Comment From SlimerG0d]
    [size=12pt]Hey guys, who has impressed you the most at the practices?[/size]
    12:27
    Chip Scoggins:

I think Harvin was the story of the weekend. I also thought Sidney Rice had a good weekend.
    12:27
    [Comment From Snapit]
    [size=12pt]What's Harvin's contract situation like at this point?[/size]
    12:28
    Judd:
    The Vikings typically don't sign their draft picks, or their high picks, until just before training camp. They will try to slot Harvin into similar money to what the 22nd pick got a year ago.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Live Chat with Zulgad and Scoggins 6-1-09

12:29
    [Comment From stspieper]
    [size=12pt]How do you think the specal teams will do this year with all the additions we had?[/size]
    12:30
    Chip Scoggins:
    It should be better obviously with Heath Farwell returning from injury. But I also think Paymah will help and Glenn Holt and Asher Allen should too. They are looking at everyone at this point to see who can upgrade their coverage units.
    12:30
    [Comment From JC in Milwaukee]
    [size=12pt]How does Sullivan look far replacing Birk at center?[/size]
    12:32
    Judd:
    The coaching staff has complete confidence in Sullivan's ability to take over the center position when it comes to recognizing defenses and making the line calls. He's a Notre Dame guy and he's smart. The question is going to be one of his physical ability. Matt Birk was a BIG man; Sullivan doesn't have that type of size and he's going to get some tough nose tackle matchups. It might help that the Vikings zone blocking scheme does seem to be suited for guys who aren't huge. Make no mistake: This is Sullivan's job.
    12:32
    [Comment From Trey]
    [size=12pt]Hey guys, are you putting things on Twitter that don't make it to the blog in some shape or form? I don't really want to have to get twitter.[/size]
    12:33
    Chip Scoggins:
    Trey, Come on man. Get with the twitter! Just kidding. We used it this weekend for live updates during practice and it seemed to work well. It should be a good way to give
    immediate highlights from training camp.
    12:34
    [Comment From Ben Dover]
    [size=12pt]You guys think that the vikes could cut bobby wade if he has an average training camp and aundra allison and jaymar johnson have a great training camp[/size]
    12:35
    Judd:
    No, not this year. Harvin should be the top option in the slot but remember he has had injury problems and cutting a steady wide receiver like Wade wouldn't be wise. Allison and Johnson are going to have to work hard to make this roster and I don't see them jumping past Wade on the depth chart.
    12:35
    [Comment From Guest]
    [size=12pt]did adrian peterson get any good reps with the wildcat at this past minicamp? possiblly qb?[/size]
    12:36
    Chip Scoggins:

They used Harvin, Taylor and Reynaud as the quarterback in the Wildcat
    this weekend.
    12:36
    [Comment From ONeal]
    [size=12pt]I love what I'm hearing about Percy Harvin so far but I'm a little confused about what his role is going to be. Is he going to be more like David Palmer or Randy Moss from the '98 Vikes team?[/size]
    12:38
    Judd:

The Vikings hope is Percy Harvin will make his own impact. Harvin isn't going to be Randy Moss. Moss went deep, Cunningham let it fly and that resulted in touchdowns. Harvin is going to take short passes and get big yards after the catch. He's also likely going to work some from the Wildcat and

take direct snaps that will result in either rushing plays or distribution of the ball. Harvin is more of a threat than Palmer and he's a different player than Moss.
    12:38
    [Comment From JayVike]
    [size=12pt]What happens if John Sullivan gets hurt?[/size]
    12:39
    Chip Scoggins:
    Anthony Herrera is the most logical choice, but they are giving rookie Jon Cooper from Oklahoma a long look. I've heard some favorable reports on him.
    12:39
    [Comment From JayVike]
    [size=12pt]I'm getting a good feeling about what I'm reading about Sage, whats your feeling?[/size]
    12:40
    Judd:

It's obvious from watching him that Rosenfels already understands much of this offense. But, that being said, it's impossible to get a good read on a guy in minicamp. Especially when he's splitting snaps. Let's wait for training camp to see where we think Rosenfels is at when it comes to running this offense. That's if Favre isn't in Mankato.
    12:40
    [Comment From Jon]
    [size=12pt]How well is Sage doing getting to know the team?[/size]
    12:42
    Chip Scoggins:
    Darrell Bevell said that's one area that has impressed him with Sage. He's taken 15-20 guys out to dinner to get to know them better on
    a personal
    level. Rosenfels said that is an important part of the quarterback
    position so that he has that trust when they get on the field.
    12:42
    [Comment From Snapit]
    [size=12pt]Best play of the weekend?[/size]
    12:44
    Judd:
    Sunday morning, final practice. Vikings doing team work in the red zone and Jackson launches a high pass into the back of the end zone. It's intended for Harvin but cornerback Marcus Walker has good coverage and it looks like no one is going to get it. Harvin, though, launches himself high into the air and comes down with the ball. Walker did nothing wrong, Harvin just made a great play. It's May/June, I know, but I was impressed.
    12:44
    [Comment From Matt]
    [size=12pt]How is Johnson looking so far in camp? Will he be an upgrade from Sharper?[/size]
    12:45
    Chip Scoggins:
    Childress said Johnson's understanding of the defense and his responsibilities are "night and day" from a year ago. He obviously doesn't have Sharper's experience or maybe understanding of different players and situations. But he is a very good
    athlete with good instincts.
    12:46
    [Comment From Dave in NYC]
    [size=12pt]What are the options on Udeze if he can't make it all the way back? Is he gonna get cut or put on IR for the season? [/size]
    12:46
    Judd:
    Legit question but right now I don't think Udeze is thinking along those terms. Athletes have a single-focus ability that I don't understand but I know it's there. I'm sure the Vikings have considered this option but are hoping he's recovery continues and he can compete for a job.
    12:47
    [Comment From Marcus]
    [size=12pt]Sorry if this has been addressed, but has A P put on the weight he felt he should to stave off injuries?[/size]
    12:48
    Chip Scoggins:
    Marcus, Peterson said yesterday that he is 216. He said he lowered his body fat and added six pounds of muscle. I think it's safe to assume however that he won't show up at training camp weighing 230 pounds.
    12:48
    [Comment From Beau]
    [size=12pt]Dont you find it a little disturbing that everyone is calling Harvin a playmaker alongside AD? he hasnt even played one nfl snap and we are already annointing him. [/size]
    12:49
    Judd:

I'm not sure that's the case. Harvin looked great at minicamp -- at least from the standpoint of athletic ability --
    and it's worth pointing out. But he hasn't played a regular-season game yet and there are questions about his ability to stay healthy. Still plenty of question marks that make saying "he's going to be great" very dangerous. However, the guy's presence is causing the Vikings to think about using the Wildcat. Before Harvin was drafted, no one thought the Vikings would use the Wildcat.
    12:50
    [Comment From Victor]
    [size=12pt]What exactly were McCauley's problems last year? Do you know?[/size]
    12:51
    Chip Scoggins:
    Victor, the biggest thing is he hurt his knee in training camp and fell way behind Sapp and Gordon. Both of those guys also played big roles on special teams. The Vikings added Paymah and drafted Allen so that is a crowded field right now. Should be an interesting competition. I will say McCauley seems to have a pretty good attitude right now.
    12:51
    [Comment From kevin]
    [size=12pt]Is Ryan Cook and Phil Loadholt both playing right tackle, or do they have Ryan C. moving to center. And who has looked better at RT?[/size]
    12:52
    Judd:
    Cook played both right tackle and

right guard because Anthony Herrera is hurt. Loadholt took plenty of first-team snaps at right tackle and I'm still convinced it's his job to lose. Cook got some first-team snaps at right tackle but I could see him competing for a backup job that would call for him to play tackle, guard and maybe some center, if needed.
    12:52
    [Comment From Longship]
    [size=12pt]At what point do you feel a decision will be made @ QB provide Favre doesn't come into play?[/size]
    12:53
    Chip Scoggins:
    Longship, probably late in training camp. They'll likely want to see both quarterbacks in preseason games and different situations in camp before making the call.
    12:53
    [Comment From pika]
    [size=12pt]How will the new wedge rules affect the Vikings specifically? How did they run returns, and will it change?[/size]
    12:54
    Judd:
    They
    used a 3-man wedge and now that is out. Special teams coordinator Brian Murphy said teams like the Cowboys and Giants used 4-man wedges and will be most effected. It will take some adjustment on the Vikings part but they aren't going to blow up things because of that.
    12:55
    [Comment From Walt]
    [size=12pt]Does Peterson crack 2000 this year?[/size]
    12:56
    Chip Scoggins:
    Walt, Peterson said Saturday that 2,000 will be his individual goal every year, although he quickly reiterated that his team goals are always more important. I think it's a realistic goal though.
    12:56
    [Comment From Guest]
    [size=12pt]Do Tarkenton's comments effect Favre and the Vikings in anyway?[/size]
    12:57
    Judd:
    Not one bit. Tarkenton has nothing to do with the Vikings these days and admits he doesn't talk to ownership. Tarkenton's comments caused quite an offseason stir but they will have zero impact on things.
    12:57
    [Comment From Anthony]
    [size=12pt]How does the team look in terms of depth, specifically on the defense?[/size]
    12:58
    Chip Scoggins:
    Anthony, they have good depth along the line with Robison, Evans, Mitchell, Kennedy and Guion and possible Udeze. Linebacker depth is better with Farwell's return. I think safety is the biggest question mark with Frampton and Abdullah.
    12:58
    [Comment From Narby]
    [size=12pt]The knock on Sage is that he makes too many mistakes (ala Brett Favre), how are the Vikings working with him to cut down on those?[/size]
    1:00
    Judd:
    By telling him to play within their system. If Favre doesn't come here, this is what you are going to hear from the Vikings about their starting quarterback: We need him to manage the game. And you are going to hear that a lot. Don't try to force things just get the ball to the proper guys and we'll be fine. Beyond that, the interesting is that if Rosenfels were to make mistakes it's going to drive Childress crazy. There is nothing he hates more than a quarterback making a bad play. Could be interesting.
    1:00
    [Comment From VikingTheo]
    [size=12pt]Have any of the Vikings players you've talked to had a reaction or comment on Fran Tarkenton's recent comments regarding Favre?[/size]
    1:01
    Chip Scoggins:
    A reporter asked Rosenfels about it, but he pointed out again that he doesn't read the newspaper anymore.
    OK
    guys, that's it for today. We appreciate your questions and we'll do it again soon.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Good stuff my friend.
    Thanks.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Read it all thanks man

Sage seems to be a really nice guy.. If he limits his interceptions I would have no problem with him starting.. He is accurate but makes some horrible reads

Cut those down and he could be a legit starter