Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Let's shock the NFL and not draft a DE !

"bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:
    I am kind of hoping that the Vikings stir things up on Saturday and not do what *everyone* is predicting, which is to draft a defensive end in the first round. The past several years, we have done this, and where has it gotten us ?

And yes, we do need a pass rusher. But drafting a DE does not automatically guarantee we get that (as Erasmus James has shown).

I say we shake things up and draft a QB high, or even a tight end. Let's not do what everyone expects. Let's be creative on Saturday and stir things up !!

A good QB or tight end can add that missing piece to this team better than "yet another" defensive end can, who will again not live up to promises.
    When I read this the first time I assumed you were trying to add a bit a levity to the mix, however, after closer scrutiny I see you have no smileys so you must be serious.

Draft picks are important.
    To sit there and pupose taking a TE or any other player in the first round that isn't projected to go there would be crazy thinking.

Remember, players are projected to go in certain places and there isn't any TE or QB for that matter projected as a value pick at 17 (unless Ryan slips to 17).

I am sure that Spielman and company have a very good draft board sitting in front of them that will ensure we get the right guys to fit the coaches needs and without a bunch of suprises.

;D

I see you've come off the Brian Brohm in the first round as a possiblility a little mar..!!...
    Yea, I got my last mag in the mail yesterday and it pretty much has what I said earlier.

The QB class this year is gonna have some good QB's come out of it with Ryan the best of the class with Brohm an close second, but all of them will require some degree of time to get NFL ready.

Throw that in with the fact that we would appear to need some sort of solution at OT and the Allen thing and I just don't see them expending a top pick on a QB this year.
    Probably gonna see them bring in a guy like Wright (Miami of Florida) or Smith (tulsa) in the later rounds or undrafted as the two chuckleheads mentioned in thier video Singer provided.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:
    I am kind of hoping that the Vikings stir things up on Saturday and not do what *everyone* is predicting, which is to draft a defensive end in the first round. The past several years, we have done this, and where has it gotten us ?

And yes, we do need a pass rusher. But drafting a DE does not automatically guarantee we get that (as Erasmus James has shown).

I say we shake things up and draft a QB high, or even a tight end. Let's not do what everyone expects. Let's be creative on Saturday and stir things up !!

A good QB or tight end can add that missing piece to this team better than "yet another" defensive end can, who will again not live up to promises.
    When I read this the first time I assumed you were trying to add a bit a levity to the mix, however, after closer scrutiny I see you have no smileys so you must be serious.

Draft picks are important.
    To sit there and pupose taking a TE or any other player in the first round that isn't projected to go there would be crazy thinking.

Remember, players are projected to go in certain places and there isn't any TE or QB for that matter projected as a value pick at 17 (unless Ryan slips to 17).

I am sure that Spielman and company have a very good draft board sitting in front of them that will ensure we get the right guys to fit the coaches needs and without a bunch of suprises.
    ;D

I see you've come off the Brian Brohm in the first round as a possiblility a little mar..!!...
    Yea, I got my last mag in the mail yesterday and it pretty much has what I said earlier.

The QB class this year is gonna have some good QB's come out of it with Ryan the best of the class with Brohm an close second, but all of them will require some degree of time to get NFL ready.

Throw that in with the fact that we would appear to need some sort of solution at OT and the Allen thing and I just don't see them expending a top pick on a QB this year.
    Probably gonna see them bring in a guy like Wright (Miami of Florida) or Smith (tulsa) in the later rounds or undrafted as the two chuckleheads mentioned in thier video Singer provided.
    Id kind of like to see us target say a Kevin O'Connel out of San Diego St. in the 4th or 5th round.. i think he'd be a perfect developmental prospect...

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

No please.. Just trade for Allen

Then we don't have to stir things up

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

"StillPurple" wrote:

I thought the same thing..... then i realized i'd gone insane from offseason boredom.

McFadden will probably be there at 17, lets get him and as 3 back formations..... NOT
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"V" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    So what you're saying is we should not address our needs but rather we draft someone off the cuff just to stir up the draft?
    :

Exactly what does that gain us?
    Street cred...
    The last time we caused a stir in the first round draft, we landed Kevin Williams.
    Enough Said.
    Oh... you mean when we missed our pick and slipped two spots?
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

Can we ditch the talk about past DEs drafted who have not worked out? Those were past regimes who drafted them. This regime has never drafted a DE in the first so those past DEs have zero bearing on their ability to draft a DE.

Also, lets draft the best player available who fits our needs and not worry about "stirring" things up. I can't imagine Chilly handing in his pick and giggling like a schoolgirl, "hehehehehe the rest of the NFL is going to get a real kick out of this!".
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

oo marr is gonna carve you up talking about Chilly doing roster management.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"C" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    So what you're saying is we should not address our needs but rather we draft someone off the cuff just to stir up the draft?
    :

Exactly what does that gain us?
    Street cred...
    The last time we caused a stir in the first round draft, we landed Kevin Williams.
    Enough Said.
    Oh... you mean when we missed our pick and slipped two spots?
    And thank God for that!
    Otherwise we would have Ryan Sims.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    oo marr is gonna carve you up talking about Chilly doing roster management.
    See Marr's sig?

I get a free pass.
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

But I do think that a tight end will be drafted in the first round ! That guy from Texas A&M is that good. There are some very decent ones. And I think that a tight end in the Jason Witten mould would really contribute to this team. This team desperately needs an underneath receiver !

I also think that if a decent QB falls to nr. 17 and we have a chance, we should take him, given our QB situation.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast