Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Let's Make A Deal

Let's Make a Deal

Jay Cutler By: Viking Update Staff

Date: Apr 23, 2006

Although the Vikings are being tight-lipped about their own draft plans, word is still getting out that their interest in Jay Cutler is more than just a passing fancy.

You know something is up when the owner gets involved in making a public statement about the team's draft plan -- even when the line of questioning is vague and you know they won't tell you the real intent.

Last week, Zygi Wilf commented that the Vikings are happy where they're sitting with five picks on the first day of next weekend's draft and would be happy to stay where they are and make all five picks. Translation? They want to move up.

The rumor mill is rolling and the Vikings are now part of it. While the Vikings aren't saying anything publicly about trading up, they have contacted other teams about potentially moving up -- perhaps as high as No. 7 -- to get Jay Cutler.

The Vikings have apparently initiated phone calls with teams sitting in the back half of the top 10 about their willingness to move. While Matt Leinart could be a nice fit in a West Coast Offense, he will likely be gone by the fourth pick and the Vikings won't trade that high to move up. But with teams like the 49ers, Raiders and Cardinals looking to fill plenty of holes, getting two or three picks from the Vikings would help them cure a lot of their ills.

The word we're getting is that Brad Childress has compared the leadership skills of Cutler to that of the Patriots Tom Brady and that, if the cost is not too prohibitive, the team would be willing to package some picks to move up.

It also appears that the Vikings are unwilling to deal a first-round pick to get Matt Schaub from the Falcons. According to those with the Eagles, Childress wasn't overly impressed with Schaub when he came out of Virginia, so there's little reason to think that impression has changed.

On top of that, it's unlikely that the Vikings would have traded Daunte Culpepper for a second-round pick when it would then turn around and trade a first-rounder for Schaub, who will become a restricted free agent after the 2006 season.

As the clock rolls down the hours before the draft, the Vikings are still in sit-and-wait mode. Not knowing how the draft will flush out, there isn't much of a chance the team will make an official deal before the picks start going off the board, but one thing is certain -- they're making calls to set up potential deals if the cards fall their way on draft weekend.

http://vikings.scout.com/2/523286.html
    http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h209/wordsofwisejcb/Vikings/K-DUB-Sig-2.jpg[/img]
    Da** Right I'm An A$$hole, You Pu$$ys Ain't Even Half As Tight!!! - Qwel

renovikesfan is offline Coordinator

Re: Let's Make A Deal

This is what Pro Football Weekly says about Cutler...

==============================================

Jay Cutler
    Height - 6' 2 1/2"
    Weight - 219 lbs
    40yd - 4.8

UPSIDE:

Big, strong, athletic, and can make every NFL throw. Has a very good arm and the improvisational skills to get out of trouble and throw off-balance, on the move and without his feet set. Very tough four-year starter and team captain who has only missed one game with injury despite taking a beating behind an average offensive line. Has a 400-lb bench press and will stand in the pocket and deliver. Understands his offense like a coach and showed great poise in two-minute situations, leading the Commodores to a last-minute win over Tennessee in his final game. Made his last season his best, nearly matching his career victory total (six) as a senior (five) and competing closely with tough SEC competition.

DOWNSIDE:

Too confident in his arm strength and will make some bad decisions trying to force the ball into tight spots. Does not step into his throws and his mechanics could use some refinement. Deep accuracy has been off and at times does not know his own arm strength. Owns an 11-34 mark as a starter.

THE WAY WE SEE IT:

A true gunslinger with a cowboy's toughness, Cutler has drawn comparisons to Brett Favre from many longtime evaluators. Like Favre, with whom he shares almost identical size, Cutler cares more about winning than how he looks doing it. If he finally enters a situation where he has some time to throw and has weapons around him, he could be dangerous in the pros.

Take it for what it's worth.....

cc21 is offline Ring of Fame

"renovikesfan" wrote:
    This is what Pro Football Weekly says about Cutler...

Jay Cutler
    Height - 6' 2 1/2"
    Weight - 219 lbs
    40yd - 4.8

UPSIDE:

Big, strong, athletic, and can make every NFL throw. Has a very good arm and the improvisational skills to get out of trouble and throw off-balance, on the move and without his feet set. Very tough four-year starter and team captain who has only missed one game with injury despite taking a beating behind an average offensive line. Has a 400-lb bench press and will stand in the pocket and deliver. Understands his offense like a coach and showed great poise in two-minute situations, leading the Commodores to a last-minute win over Tennessee in his final game. Made his last season his best, nearly matching his career victory total (six) as a senior (five) and competing closely with tough SEC competition.

DOWNSIDE:

Too confident in his arm strength and will make some bad decisions trying to force the ball into tight spots. Does not step into his throws and his mechanics could use some refinement. Deep accuracy has been off and at times does not know his own arm strength. Owns an 11-34 mark as a starter.
    THE WAY WE SEE IT:

A true gunslinger with a cowboy's toughness, Cutler has drawn comparisons to Brett Favre from many longtime evaluators. Like Favre, with whom he shares almost identical size, Cutler cares more about winning than how he looks doing it. If he finally enters a situation where he has some time to throw and has weapons around him, he could be dangerous in the pros.

Take it for what it's worth.....
    I dont know if I like that to much. But maybe he was on a bad team, I don't know, I never watched him in college.

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

I love this phrase:

A true gunslinger with a cowboy's toughness.

While I've never been completely sold on Cutler, (or Young or Leinart for that matter), that phrase I've italicised and boldened above really appeals to me.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Before I read the final paragraph I thought to myaself it sounds a lot like Favre. Sometimes you have to take the good with the bad. There is not a perfect QB out there. I like what is said about him. I was never sold on him but this does show a lot of upside vs. the downside.

I think we need our picks too much to package them up to get Cutler!!! We have bigger needs at LB!!!
    http://www.myspace.com/pooptin

Yeah, at this time we need a LB more than we need a QB.
    WE CAN BUILD ON THIS!!!

In AP I trust

LLBalla19 is offline Training Camp

Which one?

If the vikes trade up for one of the 3 top quarterbacks, Which one do you think would be the best fit?

I realize the need for a future QB, and it surely cannot and will not be ignored, but now is the time to invest a 1st round pick in a LB. It's been nine years since we drafted LB in the first.

It's time baby!
    Proud member of PP.O since April 5th, 2003!

Re: Which one?

I don't want to trade up for them, but I'll contribute my thoughts anyways. I do not want Vince Young, he's the riskiest pick, and he's too much like Culpepper (scrambling QB (may get injured!!!) who may have trouble reading defenses). I like Leinart, I think he's more proven, but there's no way we'll get him. I think Cutler has talent and potential. I think Leinart would be the best fit, but we're for sure in no way going to be able to get him so Cutler.
    WE CAN BUILD ON THIS!!!

In AP I trust

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast