Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    MadtownMac is offline Rookie

Let the insanity begin...Its Mock Draft Time!

First, I AM NO EXPERT.
    Second, since the Vikes are not in the SB, this is the only way for me to keep the enthusiasm.

Here goes...

1. New York Jets - Reggie Bush, RB, USC
    Jets trade 2006 R1, R3, 2007 R1 to Saints to get the best talent in years. Eric Mangini is the type of young mind (albeit, defensive mind) that will find the necessary people to utilize Bush to the best of his talents. And can you imagine the lack of boos from Jets fans?

2. New Orleans Saints - Jay Cutler, QB, Vanderbilt
    Following huge showings in the Senior Bowl and Combine, the Saints choose the QB who lit it up in college despite lacking surrounding talent. They hope he can do the same in the Crescent City. Mel Kiper's head starts to steam.

3. Tennessee Titans - Vince Young, QB, Texas
    Unbelievable Rose Bowl performance, excellent mobility, high efficiency rating, and Tremendous Upside Potential (stolen from Sports Guy) force Fischer's hand after McNair threatens him.

4. Houston Texans (from NYJ) - D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT, Virginia
    The guy they always wanted, but risked public stonings if they had taken him over Bush at #1. The start of something good in Houston with the picks they fleeced out of the Jets.

5. Green Bay Packers - Mario Williams, DE, NC St.
    At 6'7", draws comparisons to Julius Peppers, and was a beast this past season in college. The Pack have so many holes, though, that they will take whomever they deem is the BPA at this point.

6. Oakland Raiders - Matt Leinart, QB, USC
    Defense is a screaming need for the Raiders, so they will obviously take offense. I have never seen a franchise get so much leeway from the press despite shooting themselves in the foot so often. And Kerry Collins is Jeff George with a better attitude.

7. San Francisco 49ers - AJ Hawk, LB, Ohio St.
    Since SF is likely to lose most of its LB corps this offseason to FA, this is the most glaring of their many glaring needs. This franchise is in trouble, lots of trouble, and we should just expect them to be picking in this slot or higher for the next few years.

8. Buffalo Bills - Haloti Ngata, DT, Oregon
    Solid pick here after their run D was exposed last season. And because I think it would be hilarious to see Marv Levy butcher his name calling this one in.

9. Detroit Lions - Marcus McNeill, OT, Auburn
    Lucky for Matt Millen that there are no blue chip WR prospects in this draft. That being said, he will try to shore up the line with the biggest (6'9" 340 lb.) guy in the draft, although not even the 4th best prospect at his position. I have never seen someone fall for "Tremendous Upside Potential" so badly as Millen.

10. Arizona - LenDale White, RB, USC
    This guy vaulted himselp up about 20 picks (and countless millions) by dominating the ground game in the Rose Bowl. Sad to see the JJ Arrington Era in 'Zona end so quickly. LenDale in Glendale!

11. St. Louis Rams - Vernon Davis, TE, Maryland
    Well, the Rams need so badly to pick defense (especially DB) in this draft that I had them initially choosing Jimmy Williams, but this is a Linehan team now, so if he can make a semi-star out of Wiggins, then imagine what a talented TE could do...

12. Cleveland - Chad Greenway, LB, Iowa
    Solid pick for an up and coming defense. Hard to think that Romeo Crennel would choose anything but D here.

13. Baltimore - DeMeco Ryans, LB, Alabama
    Whichever LB Cleveland doesn't choose will land in Baltimore. Their D is aging, and pairing Ryans with current studs Terrell Suggs and Ray-Ray will bode well for a defense that is on its decline.

14. Philadelphia - Eric Winston, OT, Miami
    Aging offensive tackles and an increasingly injury prone QB force the Iggles to shore up their O-line for the future. Good move for McNabb's longevity.

15. Atlanta Falcons - Michael Huff, S, Texas
    Atlanta's safeties are adequate at best on a good day, so they tab the uber-versatile playmaker Huff. I see this guy developing into a Troy Polamalu-type DB in the future. Hits like a truck and can cover anyone on the field (see Bush, Reggie - Rose Bowl 2006).

16. Miami Dolphins - Sinorice Moss, WR, Miami
    Following this year's NFL season, which I like to call the Year of the Mighty Mouse Reciever, Saban decides to put some electricity on the field to go opposite Chris Chambers. Not to mention selling some tickets with the local boy.

17. Minnesota Vikings - Winston Justice, OT, USC
    Justice spent his career (when he was playing) at ORT, defending Leinart's blind side. With Childress' emphasis on building effective lines, I don't see them going any other way, unless Huff falls to them. And he has a really cool name: Winston Justice...

18. Dallas Cowboys - Ko Sampson, S, South Carolina
    With Roy Williams switching to SS this season, Sampson is a perfect fit in the Dallas backfield. The guy is an absolute ballhawk. This will be a good secondary for years.

19. San Diego Chargers - Jimmy Williams, CB/S, Virgina Tech
    The Chargers lack explosiveness in their secondary, and while their front seven are very good, not much can be said about their pass D. Williams comes in can play any position they need for him, and catch some of those balls that are throw his way, unlike his teammates.

20. Kansas City Chiefs- Tamba Hali, DE, Penn St.
    Jared Hall was a surprise at end for the Chefs this season, and will be a solid, if unspectacular, starter for the future. Hali adds the burst necessary to the opposite end to ensure that KC can put some *needed* pressure on the QB.

21. New England Patriots - Darnell Bing, S, USC
    Weird to see the Pats picking this early, but their secondary is the reason they are. Watch out for some random guy out of Idaho State School for the Deaf, or something like that, because Belichick probably won't sleep until the draft is over, and there is nobody better at finding the best talent possible.

22. Denver Broncos (from Washington) - Santonio Holmes, WR, Ohio St.
    Rod Smith is getting old, and the Broncs haven't been able to find an adequate replacement. Here's hoping that Holmes is the answer, considering he is probably the most NFL ready WR out there right now.

23. Tampa Bay Bucs - Jonathan Scott, OT, Texas
    Their D is solid and not likely to change in that regard. They started a rook at OT this year, and Caddy still won the ROY. The offense is youngish, and coming around. Scott will help.

24. Cincinnati Bengals - Marcedes Lewis, TE, UCLA
    The Cincy O lacked a TE presence this season, but despite that, they were still very good. With the 6'6" Lewis as a target, they will only get better.

25. New York Giants - Tye Hill, CB, Clemson
    DB was the only hole that I could see on a surprising sound NYG team. Someone help me out with this one, because I don't get it. Maybe OT?

26. Chicago - Leonard Pope, TE, Georgia
    Everyone wants a Gates/Crumpler clone nowadays, but I can't see anyone who needs one more than Rex Grossman and the Bears. If that D takes an injury or two, this team is in the tank.

27. Carolina - DeAngelo Williams, RB, Memphis
    This years "Green Room Special" - the guy that gets invited to the green room on draft day and inexplicably slips to the later stages of the first round; Carolina will snap him up in no time whatsoever. Another example of how NFL teams desire measurables over production in college. Williams runs like a man posessed all the way to the ROY.

28. Jacksonville - Abdul Hodge, LB, Iowa
    Solid pick to fill the middle of the Jags D, despite not having much to do behind those massive DTs.

29. Denver Broncos - Mathias Kiwanuka, DE, Boston College
    Kiwi took a huge hit this week in the Senior Bowl, revealing that he was indeed just feasting on weak Big East Talent. Doesn't help that he spent all week up against stud OT Ferguson (see #4).

30. Indianapolis Colts - Lawrence Maroney, RB, Minnesota
    After letting go of RB James, the Colts find themselves with a very similar type player - multi-dimensional "power" back. Maroney is no James, but will fill the Colts needs, and will allow Manning to emasculate Dungy some more by throwing 60 times per.

31. Seattle Seahawks - Elvis Dumervil, DE, Louisville
    A poor man's Dwight Freeney, the exceedingly fast Seattle D (which was exposed as a fraud in the SB, just as Indy's was...) gets an extremely fast rush end who was very productive this past season. Also suffers from Kiwanuka Syndrome (see #29 above).

32. Pittsburgh - Tellme Idunno
    All I can think of is CB for this team. Help me out.

And I'm spent. But I just wanted to start the draft juices flowing for all the other draft enthusiasts on this site just like me.

B
    Before you attempt to beat the odds, be sure you could survive the odds beating you.

That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now.

Re: Let the insanity begin...Its Mock Draft Time!

Justice might be off the board when we pick, but if he's still there, he'd be a very good pick.No way Cutler goes before Lienhart, but if he did, the Raiders would definetely take Matt. Al Davis loves USC players.
    I ll be dead and cold before I m green and gold

Thanks to PPE for sig

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

I like Jimmy Williams from Virgina, he'd be a nice SS. Great coverage skills and a solid tackler, very athletic for his size, thats why he can play CB with such a big frame.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Well I only read the first 3 picks and the Vikings, lol, but I'd would be happy with Winston Justice. We need a strong right tackle over there to replace Rosey (who should have been gone LONG ago). I'm all about building the offensive line, but I woulnd't boo if we took a running back there (or how about a trade up for AJ Hawk?!). I also don't know about the Jets trading up and the Texans trading down. I think the Texans are gonna ride the PR train on this one and take Bush, merely for the hype and the jersey sales if nothing else. Also, there was a lot of talk today by the Jets over at the senior bowl about taking Cutler with the 4th pick. A bunch of the staff had dinner with him last night, so it looks like they're ready to move on from Chad Pennington.

collegeguyjeff is offline Hall of Famer

houston already said they are gonna draft bush. but who knows that might be to bulid even more value in that pick cause thats what i'd do. houston needs to fix their o line among other things. plus i don't know why people keep talking about the draft when free agency hasn't even started yet?

im guessing one of the 3 best o tackles will fall to our spot at 17. and one of the 3 best running backs, tight ends, and that is what i think we'll be looking at. draft the positon we can't get in free agency especially if the draft pick is better than the free agents. and im not sure how good the o tackle, and tight ends are in free agency i havn't looked much but i'd bet we'd draft a tackle first cause rosenthal causes too many sacks and penalties.

it's probably easy enough to get a good running back, linebackerS!!, and a good safety in free agency and i think thats what were gonna grab.
    I don t buy Wisconsin cheese.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

I REALLY hope we don't pass up on DeAngelo Williams if he falls to us. No way is he dropping to 27.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Not bad...except Childress will snap up DeAngelo if he drops to them...if he doesn't, I will personally kick his butt!!! Especially if we don't and he ends up the ROY!!!

Also, Seattle will be picking 32nd, NOT Putzburgh!!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

FuadFan is offline Hall of Famer

I would take Jimmy or Deangelo Williams before I would bring in another rookie to start at right tackle let's not give up on Marcus Johnson after just one year he will lock down that spot for us. Also he will be gone to the Eagles at the spot you have Eric Winston going at because he will not be a first round choice.
    Minnesota Vikings : Simply the best

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    I REALLY hope we don't pass up on DeAngelo Williams if he falls to us. No way is he dropping to 27.
    That is exactly what I was thinking. His stock has risen a ton at the Sr Bowl.

White Who????
    Maroney Who????

I guess we need to wait until the combines and see how these guys grade out under the lights.

The Steelers will take the best LB available, just a guess. Maybe they can think of getting rid of that mouth Porter

Never know, they might take a chance on a RB, Staley is old and the Bus will retire after they win the SB that leave Parker and Haynes, need a third. If they got someone that was good in the first round, they might want to deal Staley.

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

I wouldn't be upset with Justice at all - it's our O-line that needs help not the RB's IMO. One guy that I have really targeted and hope falls to us is Chad Greenway the linebacker. This mock has him being drafted 12th overall, but I've seen others with him falling to 21 and others even lower. It's really hard to get a read so early on a player's stock.

If we don't draft Greenway (or another LB like Ryan) then I hope we can get D'Qwell Jackson in the 2nd rd - he's a BEAST!!!

What the hell, maybe we'll get both!

Thanks PPE for the sig.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast