Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Leber Talks About Pending Free Agency

It makes sense, but there is no denying that Leber saw a dramatic drop off in productivity in 2010 and one has to wonder if the 31 year old is on the decline. However, my personal assessment is that E.J. Henderson’s return to health and opposing offenses’ tendency to spread out the defense meant there was just less opportunity for Leber to get on the field, let alone make a play. I called this exact issue into question back in November.

I’m not sure the Vikings are interested in paying a premium for a nickel linebacker, especially with young guys like Erin Henderson and Jasper Brinkley looking for more playing time, but if the Vikings can get Leber to re-sign with a manageable contract then I am one hack blogger that wouldn’t hesitate to vote “yes.”

Leber Talks About Pending Free Agency
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Macken is offline Waterboy

Re: Leber Talks About Pending Free Agency

I say dont even worry about bringing him back unless its for much cheaper then he wants. brinkley and henderson both are ready for more PT and will fill his spot with no downtime.
    None

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

“I had a good meeting with Coach [Leslie] Frazier and [vice president of player personnel Rick] Spielman at the end of the year. Each side expressed how much I’d like to be here and finish my career here.
    Hmm.... I thought the FO were sitting around with their heads in their asses. Almost seems like they're waiting for something to happen before re-signing the vets.

marshallvike is online now Team Alumni

Quote Originally Posted by "Macken" #1099647
    I say dont even worry about bringing him back unless its for much cheaper then he wants. brinkley and henderson both are ready for more PT and will fill his spot with no downtime.
    #1. I haven't heard anything about Leber looking to break the bank in his next contract.
    And B. Do you really think Henderson or Brinkley can step right in and play as well as Ben has for us? Brinkley played ok for EJ when he had to, , considering he was a rookie, but Leber is solid. He makes a lot of plays, is rarely caught out of position, and doesn't feel the need to have the camera on him. Not sure why you would like to show him the door.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

Quote Originally Posted by "marshallvike" #1099654
    #1. I haven't heard anything about Leber looking to break the bank in his next contract.
    And B. Do you really think Henderson or Brinkley can step right in and play as well as Ben has for us? Brinkley played ok for EJ when he had to, , considering he was a rookie, but Leber is solid. He makes a lot of plays, is rarely caught out of position, and doesn't feel the need to have the camera on him. Not sure why you would like to show him the door.
    Almost all positions of need has someone either on the roster that they are going to resign/try to resign or a youngster thats been under development.

All except the "Sam" Lb'r spot. Possible candidates:

a. Ben himself. No word from the FO pukes or coaching staff has lead me to believe he is part of the equation.

b. Erin Henderson. Should be the guy that steps in. We saw him come in and replace Ben after an injury last year and there was a few articles about him working well with the first team LB'rs (Chad/EJ) shortly after Bens injury. Problem is, he isn't under contract either (I have him as a RFA/Tendered based on Rotoworld).

c. Ross Homan. 6'1"/240 Added weight for the draft. I see him as more of a "Will" kindof LB/Special teams guy but definately not a "Step right in" replacement at the "Will".

d. D'Aundre Reed 6'4/260ish. Not sure what they drafted him for. At first I thought he was going to be a backup RDE, then I started to think a Sam LB'r. Now I think he is going to fit the mold of a Brian Robinson. Situational pass rusher.

Long story short, maybe they've tendered Erin and I haven't seen it and they will give him one year to prove himself, but what about depth behind him if the are going to do that. Jasper is a thumper/Mike and I'm not sure how well he would do there.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Macken is offline Waterboy

it states right there in the article that the vikes need to get him back for a manageable contract. with that even being mentioned there has to be some kind of contract wants from leber. I feel that henderson can fill in with no problem on the field. He will make plays and is more athletic then leber is. Leber is a smart player and will cover what he is responsible for but will he really make that big play that they need every once in awhile?
    None

Quote Originally Posted by "Macken" #1099699
    it states right there in the article that the vikes need to get him back for a manageable contract. with that even being mentioned there has to be some kind of contract wants from leber. I feel that henderson can fill in with no problem on the field. He will make plays and is more athletic then leber is. Leber is a smart player and will cover what he is responsible for but will he really make that big play that they need every once in awhile?
    What about depth then if it is Erin (who I agree with is a good option).