Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

A learning experience as Allen and McKinnie go head-to-head

[size=13pt]A learning experience as Allen and McKinnie go head-to-head [/size]

By CHIP SCOGGINS, Star Tribune

Last update: July 28, 2008 - 12:10 AM

MANKATO - Vikings left tackle Bryant McKinnie knows he might not face a tougher pass-rushing defensive end this season than he does every day of training camp in Jared Allen...

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Mr-holland is offline Team Alumni

Re: A learning experience as Allen and McKinnie go head-to-head

McKinnie needs a lesson or two yes. Come on, he could have done that with James or with Udeze but now we have Jared Allen and he's going to learn something in the long run? He's not learning anything off.
    Rosie O'Donnell is a dude!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Thanks for the read my friend, however, on this one I gotta get on a soapbox a bit.

If Big Mac still thinks he has alot to learn, then we need to get rid of his ass as soon as possible.

I can understand a few tweaks here and there on his technique against a guy of JA's caliber, but damn, he should already be there.

As I've stated before, we have seen the best we are gonna get out of Big Mac and it isn't enough with respect to pass protection.
    Time to start looking at a replacement plan in a year or two so we don't have to keep a TE in there to help him all the time.

On a side note, it will be interesting to watch how much help Cook needs this year.
    Might be saying the same about him at the end of the year, but judging by the way he progressed last year I doubt that.
    :
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Thanks for the read my friend, however, on this one I gotta get on a soapbox a bit.

If Big Mac still thinks he has alot to learn, then we need to get rid of his ass as soon as possible.

I can understand a few tweaks here and there on his technique against a guy of JA's caliber, but damn, he should already be there.

As I've stated before, we have seen the best we are gonna get out of Big Mac and it isn't enough with respect to pass protection.
    Time to start looking at a replacement plan in a year or two so we don't have to keep a TE in there to help him all the time.

On a side note, it will be interesting to watch how much help Cook needs this year.
    Might be saying the same about him at the end of the year, but judging by the way he progressed last year I doubt that.
    :
    I agree with everything you said right up to that last line

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:

If Big Mac still thinks he has alot to learn, then we need to get rid of his jiggly butt as soon as possible.

I can understand a few tweaks here and there on his technique against a guy of JA's caliber, but gol 'darnit, he should already be there.

:
    agree with you on that 100% Marrdro.. I'm not so sure if it is his technique or just that he's lazy at times. Having said that I've been on his case ever since his rookie year and the holdout issue that we had with him - that didn't get me off on a good footing with him I'll freely admit.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

i just hope that by going against ALlen EVERY day, it will help him against speed rushers, who he seems to have a problem with.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"AngloVike" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

If Big Mac still thinks he has alot to learn, then we need to get rid of his jiggly butt as soon as possible.

I can understand a few tweaks here and there on his technique against a guy of JA's caliber, but gol 'darnit, he should already be there.

:
    agree with you on that 100% Marrdro.. I'm not so sure if it is his technique or just that he's lazy at times. Having said that I've been on his case ever since his rookie year and the holdout issue that we had with him - that didn't get me off on a good footing with him I'll freely admit.
    I remember the day we drafted him.
    I had him on my board as the best fit for us at LT.

His reputation was that he hadn't given up any sacks in his High School and Collegiate career.

Such a disappointment (with respect to pass protection) of late.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "AngloVike" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

:
    I remember the day we drafted him.
    I had him on my board as the best fit for us at LT.

His reputation was that he hadn't given up any sacks in his High School and Collegiate career.

Such a disappointment (with respect to pass protection) of late.
    what irked me was the fact that when he did finally report he was out of shape. I'd expect him to have a least made an effort to come in 3/4 fit given the time he missed. I was in Minny for the Giants and GB games that year and the immediate thing that stood out was the fact he had to go off a two-point stance all the time due to his lack of condition. I knew he wouldn't keep up his 'no sack' record in the Pros but I'm afraid I don't rate him as highly in the NFL LT group as some do.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

I was thinking about this since the signing, it can do nothing but good for McKinnie.
    Unless they go to a strip club together and Allen gets wasted while McKinnie beats the snot out of someone sitting in sniffers row with a pole.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

I've been very critical of Bryant McKinnie but from what I have read and heard McKinnie has headed himself in the right direction and he's destined for the season of his life. I think he's been able to take things serious and the last incident has opened his eyes so to speak. In the event that McKinnie is suspended I expect him back especailly for the remainder of this season.

This is one of few things that Jared Allen brings to table not only is he a great football player but a great character willing to help out others and make them better. Jared Allen is exactly what McKinnie needs because regardless of actuall game time or pratice he's going to bring it 100% and thats what McKinnie needs to do. Jared Allen possesses the type of speed that McKinnie struggles with and he's able to understand that and work with Allen to make himself better. I love the fact that our LT gets to compete with one of the best DE's in the game.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast