Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: LB Kenny Onatolu (Video)

I love Onatolu the guy is a beast.

I remember watching him as a rookie in the CFL in an exhibition game lay a few guys out...He really stuck out

He did struggle his rookie year a little he spent some time on and off the practise roster

I think that was mainly attributed to adjusting to the canadian game(way more pass coverage ect)

But when given a chance this past season he was amazing....I think he will make the Vikes as a special teamer for sure

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

"hav0x" wrote:
    Looks pretty good on special teams.

And does anyone else hate the CFL endzones with the uprights in the front of it. That just seems idiotic.
    It's like Rugby...which is what Football is based on.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    It may just be the quality of CFL players, but that guy is amazing!!!!!!
    CFL football is a higher level than NCAA.

Onatalu was a serviceable LB, make no mistake he was no "man amongst boys" or superstar LB in the CFL.
    He is what you saw in the video, a high motor, good pursuit player.
    Ideal for special teams, but I wouldn't get excited about him.

Jamaal Richardson rejecting our contract had more to do with him preferring the CFL game and his team (and the fact he was not given any guarantees about even making the team).
    He didn't want to go to training camp and miss half the CFL season if he were cut.

I would have been more excited if we signed CFL players like Calvin Pace or Stefan Logan, but anything that makes the Eskimos worse is good in my opinion.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    It may just be the quality of CFL players, but that guy is amazing!!!!!!
    CFL football is a higher level than NCAA.

Onatalu was a serviceable LB, make no mistake he was no "man amongst boys" or superstar LB in the CFL.
    He is what you saw in the video, a high motor, good pursuit player.
    Ideal for special teams, but I wouldn't get excited about him.

Jamaal Richardson rejecting our contract had more to do with him preferring the CFL game and his team (and the fact he was not given any guarantees about even making the team).
    He didn't want to go to training camp and miss half the CFL season if he were cut.

I would have been more excited if we signed CFL players like Calvin Pace or Stefan Logan, but anything that makes the Eskimos worse is good in my opinion.
    The way he was rag dolling those guy in gunner duty shows me he was on another level. It looked as if he had Pro Talent playing at a High School level when he crunched those guys, then the way he hits and his opontent and they fold is very impressive. He stands out in almost everyone of his highlights. He's no Adrian Peterson, "Man Amongst Boys" but he certainly stood out in a big way.

Jamaal Richardson had a certain comfort level in the CFL that he was not willing to give up, I have see some of his film, he's a good WR but not overly impressive. Teams were not willing to garuntee him anything and he lacked the balls to go out there show he belonged in a League above the CFL. I don't blaim him in alot of ways, he can dominate that league but would he even get significant playing time in the NFL? Onalotu on the other hand could have got a nice deal to remain in the CFL but he has left his comfort zone to prove he belongs. I highly doubt we have made any garuntees to the guy but I like the "obvious" confidence.

"VikingsTw" wrote:
    He stands out in almost everyone of his highlights. He's no Adrian Peterson, "Man Amongst Boys" but he certainly stood out in a big way.
    Of course he does, it's a highlight video.
    I would say he's not really regarded as top 5 LB in the CFL

Jamaal Richardson had a certain comfort level in the CFL that he was not willing to give up, I have see some of his film, he's a good WR but not overly impressive. Teams were not willing to garuntee him anything and he lacked the balls to go out there show he belonged in a League above the CFL. I don't blaim him in alot of ways, he can dominate that league but would he even get significant playing time in the NFL? Onalotu on the other hand could have got a nice deal to remain in the CFL but he has left his comfort zone to prove he belongs. I highly doubt we have made any garuntees to the guy but I like the "obvious" confidence.
    It has nothing to do with confidence.
    Onatalu can probably make 5-10x more as a backup in the NFL than he can as a starter in the CFL.
    He knows he'll probably just be in NFL for at most a few seasons, so he'll make as much as he can while the window is there.
    It's about money, and Richardson doesn't care as much about it, he just wants to play.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    He stands out in almost everyone of his highlights. He's no Adrian Peterson, "Man Amongst Boys" but he certainly stood out in a big way.
    Of course he does, it's a highlight video.
    I would say he's not really regarded as top 5 LB in the CFL

It has nothing to do with confidence.
    Onatalu can probably make 5-10x more as a backup in the NFL than he can as a starter in the CFL.
    He knows he'll probably just be in NFL for at most a few seasons, so he'll make as much as he can while the window is there.
    It's about money, and Richardson doesn't care as much about it, he just wants to play.
    Yeah I think it would be difficult to regard him as a top 5 CFL LB, but this past season was really his first to get a solid opportunity and be consistent. The dude is only 26, had he remained in CFL he could become top 5 LB. Often the thing with LB's is it can take awhile to become consistent and be a force, EJ didn't really flourish till 3 to 4 years passed. There is not a great window to judge his play, I'm confident other LB's in CFL have been around longer and have a longer history of consistency. Yes it is a highlight video but the talent is obvious, everyone can have highlight videos but there all different, there are different abilities to see with'n everyone. IMO he looks like a very solid specail teamer, thats where he's going to have to poor his energy to make the squad. A good tackler, very physical, strong for his size, quick, fast, instincts, good leverage, uses his hands well, those are all the qualities I see in the video.

IMO it always has some to do with confidence, his confidence of making a team and making an impact at the next level was not enough to pry him from his comfort level. I don't blaim him, if his situation is good, and he's comfortable with the money he's paid, ect he probably made the right choice. If he's not confident he can make a team there is no reason to ruin what he has going with his comfort level. I find it hard to believe its not about the money with Jamal Richardson, had someone offord him a for sure roster spot with great pay he's going to go after the money, its almost always about the money but I do agree he does want to play, he knows that in his comfort zone, he's going to play and has no concious fear of being cut.

Onatolu on the other hand has exited his comfort level, he's chasing the money, the NFL Dream and he has the confidence he's going to make the team, as displayed by his decision making.

IMO Richardson will be a one year wonder...Monteral has an excellent offense and qb

Often Monteral produces wr's with huge stats then the wr bolts to another team with big expectations only to produce moderately in a new system.

He would have been a guranteed cut for the Vikes this year....Just a training camp body

"vikings_fan66" wrote:
    IMO Richardson will be a one year wonder...Monteral has an excellent offense and qb

Often Monteral produces wr's with huge stats then the wr bolts to another team with big expectations only to produce moderately in a new system.

He would have been a guranteed cut for the Vikes this year....Just a training camp body
    He couldn't be worse than Kelly Campbell
    ;D

haha so this guy is pretty much a heath farwell?

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"SamOchoCinco" wrote:
    haha so this guy is pretty much a heath farwell?
    More like Heath Farwell light.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast