Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

The later rounds - 2011 draft

We have a thread on what we should do with our 12th overall pick in the first round..

Here is some players i like in the later rounds.

I will have to admit that i didn't watch alot of NCAA Football this year, so most of my "picks" in this post has come from reading scouting reports of the players and my gut feeling.

I have my own ideas on what this Vikings team needs and most of the time i look for speed and power, depending on what position we are talking about.

The draft grades i get from various sites i add in my own gut feeling on where a player like this might go.

Things like accepting gifts from agent and therefore getting suspended i don't mind, its a mistake many of these kids make - especially if they come from a poor neigbourhood. Injures i can only see through fingers with if i determine there are still value in getting a good talent in the later rounds.

Quarterbacks:
    Pat Devlin - Delaware 4-6th round
    Andy Dalton - TCU 3-5th round

Christian Ponder - Florida State 2-3rd round - Added after Senior Bowl

Fullbacks:
    Preston Dial - Alabama 6-7th round

Tight Ends:
    Andre Smith - Virginia Tech 4-5th round
    Charlie Gantt - Michigan State 3-6th round
    [strike]Weslye Saunders - South Carolina 6-7th - Declared Ineligible - Declared Eligible again - Troubled kid, off my board[/strike]

Wide Recievers:
    Terrance Toliver - LSU 3-4th
    Lester Jean - Florida Atl 7th
    Kris Adams - UTEP 7th
    Kris Durham - Georgia 7th
    Jonathan Baldwin - Pittsburgh 2nd round - Added after combine
    Greg Little - North Carolina 2-3rd round - Added after combine

Offensive Line:
    Jason Pinkston (OT) - Pittsburgh 2-3rd
    Benjamin Ijalana (OG) - Villanova 2-3rd
    John Moffitt (OG) - Wisconsin 2-4th
    Willie Smith (OT) - ECU 4-6th
    Bryant Browning (OG) - Ohio State 6-7th
    Eric Mensik (OT) - Oklahoma 7th
    James Carpenter (OT) - Alabama 3-4rd - Added after Senior Bowl
    Brandon Fusco (OC) - Slippery Rock 3-4th - Added after Combine
    Jariel King (OT) - South Carolina 6-7th - Added after combine

Defensive End:
    Allan Bailey - Miami 2nd
    Christian Ballard - Iowa 2-3rd
    [strike]Markus White - Florida St. 5-6th - Will play 3-4 OLB - wont fit[/strike]

Defensive Tackle:
    Kendrick Ellis - Hampton 2-3rd
    Muhammad Wilkerson - Temple 2-3rd
    Marvin Austin - North Carolina 2-3rd

Linebackers:
    Greg Jones (ILB) - Michigan State 2nd
    Dontay Moch (OLB) - Nevada 2-4th
    Bruce Carter (OLB) - North Carolina 2-4th
    Kelvin Sheppard (ILB) - LSU 3-5th
    Doug Houge (OLB) - Syracuse 5-7th
    Scott Lutrus (ILB) - UConn - 7th
    KJ Wright (OLB) - Mississippi State - 4th - Added after combine

Cornerbacks:
    Aaron Williams - Texas 2nd
    Ras-I Dowling - Virginia 3rd
    Curtis Brown - Texas 3rd
    Rashad Carmichael - Virginia Tech 4-5th
    Jalil Brown - Colorado 5th
    Darrin Walls - Notre Dame 7th
    Kendrick Burney - North Carolina 4-5th - Added after Senior Bowl
    Davon House - New Mexico State 2nd - Added 16/2-2011

Safeties:
    [strike]DeAndre Michael (SS) - Clemson 2nd - Off field stuff, bad combine[/strike]
    Rahim Moore (FS) - UCLA 2-3rd
    Shiloh Keo (SS) - Idaho 5-6th

Updated post combine

If you have some guys you wanna bring up, post them.. and Remember, this is without the projected first rounders.

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

dfosterf is offline Coach

Re: The later rounds - 2011 draft

Sorry about your lost 3rd rounder, but I think I recall reading that you have an extra 5th rounder from the Giants... I don't recall why, but I'm pretty sure you do.

Also sorry if this has been noted elsewhere.

Blog Entries

Here is a video of Pat Devlin with Delaware from the FCS Semi's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXspH1pSieQ

I really like that i doesnt stare down recievers, checks down alot with quick reads.. This isnt his finest game.. His recievers drops a few also to be fair.. But obiously he is a project.. But seems very smart and makes quick decisions on what to do with the football, which is important for a young QB and a large step in the right direction..

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

RoneG is offline Training Camp

If they draft a QB I'd rather they not go with a project I-AA guy, no matter how late in the draft. I'd rather see Frazier and company start off with as much of a sure bet as they can. If anybody's going to be a project, I'd rather it be Webb because he got some great experience you can build on and have had a good opportunity to assess his strengths and weaknesses.

Rickey Stanzi.

Dibbzz is offline Starter

What is everyone's opinion on Christian Ponder outta Florida State (QB)? He doesn't have the best stats (threw for only 2044 yards and threw for only 20 TD's) but he does make smart, solid throws, is accurate, and is somewhat mobile in the pocket. He's 6'3" 227 lbs. so he is of average size but is able to arch his throws well enough over the opposing line to the open receiver. Since the Vikings may not feel good about the quality of QB options in the first round maybe they can take Ponder in round 2 and address CB or DL in round 1?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Dibbzz" #1087940
    What is everyone's opinion on Christian Ponder outta Florida State (QB)? He doesn't have the best stats (threw for only 2044 yards and threw for only 20 TD's) but he does make smart, solid throws, is accurate, and is somewhat mobile in the pocket. He's 6'3" 227 lbs. so he is of average size but is able to arch his throws well enough over the opposing line to the open receiver. Since the Vikings may not feel good about the quality of QB options in the first round maybe they can take Ponder in round 2 and address CB or DL in round 1?
    He has had multiple injuries to his throwing arm the last two season, which is a huge scare..

I think he is a very good prospect if you look only at his skills, but you can't overlook those injuries.. I think he will fall to the third or lower..

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

Blog Entries

A bit on DT Marvin Austin thats on my watchlist

Marvin Austin (DT North Carolina) is the biggest name and showed up (surprisingly) fit after sitting out the 2010 college season. Austin wowed scouts at the weigh-in and held his own at practice against some inferior competition. Throughout the week, Austin will need to be dominant against this caliber of lineman to convince teams he's worth a high draft pick. The most encouraging thing said about Austin is "he wants to be here."
    They are practicing this week up till the East/West Shrine Game.

More here

Also on Dontay Moch

Laupepa Letuli (OG/OT Hawaii) played four positions during practice and gave great effort, although he was embarrassed by the much smaller Dontay Moch (OLB Nevada), who bull-rushed him five yards into the backfield.
    And Devlin
    Pat Devlin (QB Delaware) has followed the Joe Flacco path to the NFL, and some confuse the two as prospects. Devlin does not have the arm Flacco possesses, but he is considered more of a vocal leader and a film room rat. He's a decent quarterback but has a lot of work to do before he contributes to an NFL team. Although they wore the same Blue Hens uniform, the comparisons stop there.

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

WESLYE SAUNDERS!!!! I know i'm (obviously) a little biased to gamecocks. But this guy is easily 1st-2nd round talent. The only reason he slipped so far is because of some dumbass decisions which got him suspended this whole year. But this guy is a BEAST, huge target with great hands and can block. If he really falls after the 4th round, whoever gets him is going to get the steal of the draft. I've seen him play in person for 2 years and even seen him in practice, he's a special player.
    Ponder this....

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "gamecock_fo_life" #1087983
    WESLYE SAUNDERS!!!! I know i'm (obviously) a little biased to gamecocks. But this guy is easily 1st-2nd round talent. The only reason he slipped so far is because of some dumbass decisions which got him suspended this whole year. But this guy is a BEAST, huge target with great hands and can block. If he really falls after the 4th round, whoever gets him is going to get the steal of the draft. I've seen him play in person for 2 years and even seen him in practice, he's a special player.
    Yeah, we need more talented players who make dumb decisions that get them suspended on this team. We are woefully short on them at this point.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast