Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Koren in Rehab

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Koren in Rehab

"michaelmazid" wrote:
    no offense to anyone but how in the hell do you get addicted to alchohol?

I dont' know about you guys but everytime I drink, i feel like crap and hangover for the next 24 hours. Than, I tell myself that I am never drinking and sure enough I drink again the following weekend.

That's how :lol:

One Love

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Pretty sure he either had a minor relapse or he was craving it really bad and thought rehab was the best route to go.. No worries people.. He will play this year and will be ready to go by training camp im certain of it

One Love

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"oddmanout22287" wrote:
    To me, this is more of a good sign than a sign for alarm... the article says that "Keels stressed that Robinson's decision to resume treatment was voluntary and not the result of any violation of the league's substance abuse policy or specific recurrence of the problems that plagued his career with the Seattle Seahawks"; so this is either Koren wanting to keep up with his rehab, or he slipped up in a small way and realized he made a mistake and wants to keep himself straight. At least, I hope that's all it is..
    He drank again & probably got drunk. There's no doubt in my mind.

You don't go back into rehab unless you did.

You keep up with your rehab by going to meetings. As many a week as it takes.

Why did he mess up? There are several reasons.

1. He quit going to meetings. Meetings are a must to stay sober. It's a lifelong commitment. You can't stop going to meetings after you think you can manage it on your own. Almost every alcoholic that relapses, will tell you their downfall was they quit going to meetings. I have seen people with 20+ years of sobriety, return to drinking for that simple reason.

2. He wasn't working his program. There are 12 steps to AA & you have to work all the steps. Not just some of them. Once you finish with them you start all over again & keep repeating the steps.

Of those who don't work the steps, 1 of 2 things will happen;

A) You will return to drinking.

B) You stay sober but don't get any better or spiritually healthier. This is what is known as a "Dry Drunk". Still the same old person that everyone disliked while they where drinking, only they don't drink any more.

3. He forgot what his life was like before when he drank & thought maybe he could handle it.

4.. "Stinky Thinking" as we call it. A lot of alcoholics in recovery after being sober for quite a while, think that perhaps if they are careful and watch themselves, that they can drink sociably again. They rationalize there though process enough until they convince themselves it can be done.

Other people rationalize having a drink by convivcing themselves that a drink will calm them down if they are stressed or depressed over some circumstance.

100% of those people are back to their old habits & even worse in a short period of time. I've said it before, when the train hits you it's not the caboose that kills you.

What that means is the problem isn't a result of having that last beer or drink that got you drunk, it was the first one. Once you put that bottle back to your mouth, the craving for alcohol returns & you will have another, then another etc...

My guess is quit going to his meetings, thinking he was cured & could handle maybe 1 or 2. The result was he got drunk. When he sobered up he realized he couldn't stop when he wanted to & it scared the hell out of him, so he checked himself back in to rehab because he realized he still hadn't "got it".

It isn't uncommon for alcoholics to "slip" within the 1st year. It took me 3 times to "get it" before it took hold. I had to learn the hard way because I thought I was different than everybody else. But I was wrong.

After one year, it's called a relapse.

If K-Rob sticks to his program, working the steps & going to his meetings, I think he will do fine. I said it last year that he wouldn't be out of the woods until he had at least a year of sobriety under his belt.

I will pray for him.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

What ever is going on hopefully it's nothing too serious and he'll still be able to play.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

I'll say this, at least he was able to go back and knows what is right for him....Many people never make that extra attempt at taking responsability for their diseases.......

I think it's great he is taking the right steps to a solid recovery program.....

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

boognish is offline Coordinator

"singersp" wrote:
    "oddmanout22287" wrote:
    To me, this is more of a good sign than a sign for alarm... the article says that "Keels stressed that Robinson's decision to resume treatment was voluntary and not the result of any violation of the league's substance abuse policy or specific recurrence of the problems that plagued his career with the Seattle Seahawks"; so this is either Koren wanting to keep up with his rehab, or he slipped up in a small way and realized he made a mistake and wants to keep himself straight. At least, I hope that's all it is..

1. He quit going to meetings. Meetings are a must to stay sober. It's a lifelong commitment. You can't stop going to meetings after you think you can manage it on your own. Almost every alcoholic that relapses, will tell you their downfall was they quit going to meetings. I have seen people with 20+ years of sobriety, return to drinking for that simple reason.

2. He wasn't working his program. There are 12 steps to AA & you have to work all the steps. Not just some of them. Once you finish with them you start all over again & keep repeating the steps.

B) You stay sober but don't get any better or spiritually healthier. This is what is known as a "Dry Drunk". Still the same old person that everyone disliked while they where drinking, only they don't drink any more.

3. He forgot what his life was like before when he drank & thought maybe he could handle it.

4.. "Stinky Thinking" as we call it. A lot of alcoholics in recovery after being sober for quite a while, think that perhaps if they are careful and watch themselves, that they can drink sociably again. They rationalize there though process enough until they convince themselves it can be done.

Other people rationalize having a drink by convivcing themselves that a drink will calm them down if they are stressed or depressed over some circumstance.

100% of those people are back to their old habits & even worse in a short period of time. I've said it before, when the train hits you it's not the caboose that kills you.

What that means is the problem isn't a result of having that last beer or drink that got you drunk, it was the first one. Once you put that bottle back to your mouth, the craving for alcohol returns & you will have another, then another etc...

My guess is quit going to his meetings, thinking he was cured & could handle maybe 1 or 2. The result was he got drunk. When he sobered up he realized he couldn't stop when he wanted to & it scared the hell out of him, so he checked himself back in to rehab because he realized he still hadn't "got it".

It isn't uncommon for alcoholics to "slip" within the 1st year. It took me 3 times to "get it" before it took hold. I had to learn the hard way because I thought I was different than everybody else. But I was wrong.

If K-Rob sticks to his program, working the steps & going to his meetings, I think he will do fine. I said it last year that he wouldn't be out of the woods until he had at least a year of sobriety under his belt.

I will pray for him.
    Good thing I read through this entire thread before posting; you took the words out of my mouth. It's obvious that he fell off the wagon...we just don't know how far or hard he fell. I've known a lot of drunks in my time and you don't check into an in-patient treatment program for simply having cravings or wanting extra support.

I hope he can get his shit together before training camp begins. Why can't we just have some players on this freakin' team without all the damned baggage?
    I am a dipshit!!!

boognish is offline Coordinator

"singersp" wrote:
    "oddmanout22287" wrote:

I will pray for him.
    Good thing I read through this entire thread before posting; you took the words out of my mouth, Singer. It's obvious that he fell off the wagon...we just don't know how far or hard he fell. I've known a lot of drunks in my time and you don't check into an in-patient treatment program for simply having cravings or wanting extra support.

I hope he can get his shit together before training camp begins. Why can't we just have some players on this freakin' team without all the damned baggage?

HOLD THE PHONE!! BREAKING NEWS!! :wink:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

K-ROB DENIES THAT HE'S IN REHAB

There's a strange twist to our report that Vikings receiver Koren Robinson has returned to an alcohol treatment center.

Robinson has told KFAN radio in Minnesota that the report isn't true.

The player's denial creates an uncomfortable situation with his agent, Alvin Keels, given that Keels admitted to us earlier in the day that Robinson indeed entered rehab in South Carolina last month. We called Keels for confirmation after learning of Robinson's status from a league source.

Our take? Robinson had been hoping to keep the issue tightly under wraps, and his initial reaction when pressed on the subject was to deny it.

The only other possible explanation is that Keels had bad information -- but who other than Robinson's agent would be in position to know the truth?
    I am a dipshit!!!

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

wow thats pretty messed up, who to believe!? hmmmmm

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

so-cal vike is offline Team Alumni

If he did check himself into some sort of rehab program, then great, I wish him the best, and can't wait for his return.

If he isn't in a program and does have a problem, then someone needs to smack him upside his head.

Freya is offline Team Alumni

Well darn. I hope it sticks this time if he is indeed in treatment again. Good luck to him.

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast