Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    tb04512 is offline Team Alumni

Re: Kipers New Mock!!!

"Hawkeye23" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    We need playmakers on offense 'nuff said.
    Landry would be a solid pick, but I'm not sold on taking a safety at #7, that is not even close to our top need.
    either that or hall
    we do not need a DB, the only reason our secondary got lit up was because of the lack of the pass rush.
    James was out, Udeze played out of position, i do not want defense with the first pick.
    That being said trade out of 7 try to trade to get around a 12-15, with a second and grab a wr there, then possibly package the 2nd's for another later first.

( i love dream land, everything happens the way you want it too)

Thanks josdin00

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

I am still with the crowd that belives we will not be picking at #7 anyways.

Landry is a nice player would love him at the pick if we stay there.
    I can't see us Taking a DE in round one, Peterson and CJ will be gone. Quinn i8s a slap in the face for what we did with last yeasr draft to draft T-Jack.

"THEBIGDADDY" wrote:

I can't see us Taking a DE in round one, Peterson and CJ will be gone. Quinn i8s a slap in the face for what we did with last yeasr draft to draft T-Jack.
    Slap in the face?
    ???
    :

Last year, the Vikings drafted a Div II QB to develop for a FEW years, assuming Johnson would play well enough for TWO more years.

The Vikings ALSO assumed they would NOT finish the 2006 season so poorly, i.e. at 6-10, enabling them to POSSIBLY be in position to pick Quinn at #7.

Johnson fell apart one year earlier than anticipated.
    So, it's time for Plan B; i.e. draft Quinn.
    When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

"Purplexing" wrote:
    "THEBIGDADDY" wrote:

Slap in the face?
    ???

:

Last year, the Vikings drafted a Div II QB to develop for a FEW years, assuming Johnson would play well enough for TWO more years.

The Vikings ALSO assumed they would NOT finish the 2006 season so poorly, i.e. at 6-10, enabling them to POSSIBLY be in position to pick Quinn at #7.

I say that because of what we had to give up to get him. Why do that to get a player that you had no intention of playing. Drafting someone like Quinn would nean T-Jack would be sitting for a while unles they plan on just dumping Quinn after after Rookie contract. again makes no sense. Just seems weird to make a large investmen, just to turn around and make another High Pick the next year.

"THEBIGDADDY" wrote:
    "Purplexing" wrote:
    "THEBIGDADDY" wrote:

Slap in the face?
    ???

:

I say that because of what we had to give up to get him. Why do that to get a player that you had no intention of playing. Drafting someone like Quinn would nean T-Jack would be sitting for a while unles they plan on just dumping Quinn after after Rookie contract. again makes no sense. Just seems weird to make a large investmen, just to turn around and make another High Pick the next year.
    I agree the Vikings gave up a draft pick to get TJackson, so they thought highly of him.
    But that can't 'bind' the team with that choice, and not allow them to continue to try to improve the QB spot by drafting a QB with greater potential.

No one would be slapped in the face.
    If you mean it would be a 'waste', I would understand that description.
    TJackson would have to accept that someone better came along, and the team is doing what is best for the team as a whole, and not for any one member's pride.

And TJackson would not be a wasted pick.
    A quality backup QB is a necessity in the NFL.
    Quinn, TJackson and Bollinger would act as a trio of insurance policies against the other two QBs busting.

When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

Slap may be a hard term to use but with the high pics that were given when we had some (and still do) big needs seems a little frustrating.

"THEBIGDADDY" wrote:
    Slap may be a hard term to use but with the high pics that were given when we had some (and still do) big needs seems a little frustrating.
    I agree that a 2006 draft pick lost to move up for tJackson is tough to accept, knowing what we know now; i.e that Quinn might be available and might be taken.

But foresight is flawed, and hindsight is perfect.
    The move last year was the right move, not knowing the future potential to get Quinn.
    And, IMO, drafting Quinn, if available, would be the right thing to do, to upgrade over an uncertain QB situation.
    The 'wasting of a draft pick to move up into rd 2 to get TJ' is a 'cost of doing business' in a world with an uncertain future.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Freakout" wrote:
    "Purplexing" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "Purplexing" wrote:
    Kiper is a hyper.

He changes his projections every week, or more often, just to get more publicity.
    Publicity sells more ads, which makes Kiper richer, and the people who follow his reports just get double-talk.
    Great value, eh?

People who think the Vikings should take a "hard hitting safety" should ponder the impact he would have if he cannot cover receivers, but could hit them hard after yielding 15-20 yard passes frequently.
    :

"Wow!
    Great hit, huh!
    Oh, hey!; how did they (opponents) move down into scoring position so fast?"

???
    Landry would have went high if he had come out LAST YEAR...he is much more than just a hard hitter...he is a great cover guy as well.
    He is even BETTER than his brother, who was drafted by the Ravens last season out of Georgia Tech in the sixth round.

Landry is the REAL DEAL...the ONLY knock on drafting him that high is that conventional wisdom says that you don't draft safties that high.
    BUT if he solidifies the position for the next 8-10 years, then maybe it is worth bucking the establishment.
    He is a much more sure thing than the DEs and most of the WRs that we could take at #7.
    For that reason alone, I would be very comfortable with us picking him there...UNLESS we can trade up and get Calvin (OR if Peterson is still on the board).
    Can Landry cover receivers long enough for the CURRENT DEs to get to the QB?

Can Landry cover receivers well enough to intercept passes and return them for TDs when the CURRENT roster WRs cannot get the job done on offense?

Anyone can identify a great collegiate player at each position, and list his accomplishments and potential to be a great pro.
    It takes more skill to find such a player who will meet a need to upgrade a CURRENT roster spot in dire need of improvement.

There are an adequate number of safeties on the 2007 roster, with Sharper, T.Williams, Blue, and perhaps D.Smith.
    That will buy the Vikings one more year time to find a replacement for Sharper, when his skills and speed fades.
    Landry has the speed to cover any receiver.
    He ran a 4.35 40 - I doubt we have a single safety on our roster with that kind of speed.

As for Mel's mock there are only a handful of guys I would take at the 7th spot.

Quinn, Landry, Okoye, and Adams.

Anyone one else would be reaching.
    What about Adrian Peterson, Anderson or Branch?
    All three are rated as top 7 picks.

Not very likely that AP will get that low, however, it could happen.
    Most mocks have Branch going in top 5 with Adams to Wash and Anderson to us.

Okoye?
    I think he is better suited for a 3-4 from the scouting reports I've read.
    Additionally his stock is falling after the combine workout numbers.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

I get a kick out of people who cite our investment (2 3rd-round picks) in Tarvaris as reason to not draft Quinn and then ignore even larger investments we've made including 1st rounders for young DEs (who have yet to demonstrate they are "busts"), a starter-sized contract for Chester Taylor, a 2nd rounder for Cedric Griffin,

We need to address offense with our first pick (barring an amazing defensive prospect).
    If we can't get offensive value with the #7 pick (ie. Calvin or Quinn) I suggest we trade down and pick up someone like Meachem or Bowe, and pick up a 2nd rounder or something to address the secondary depth or DE position.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234