Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Re:To Kill a MOCKing Bird-The PPO Mock Draft Database

Thanks!

I think I struggled with the Vikings pick as much or more than any of them. The way things fell, there are several good options, it just depends on which way our boyz are leaning as to our biggest need. I see our situations with secondary, OL, RB, QB and DT as roughly the same...we have some vets and some youth in place already, the tough part is guessing which picks we got luckiest on last year(s) ie, who is going to work out the best so se can invest where we really need to most.

Pouncey could be a great pick, IF we decide Sully doesn't have the size/isn't improving fast enough, or Herrera isn't as good as we could be at OG Not to mention, youth behind Hutch...how many years do we have him? And, we need a multi backup to replace Hicks anyway.

IF Clausen really fell all the way to 30, I'd think we'd at least take a look. And then there's the TBone too. Once again, got to wonder, how does Chilly really feel about Jackson's probability of improving? Or, Sage leading us to and through the playoffs...?

Price at DT could be a good option, but the position is pretty picked over...of course, nobody seemed to see us grabbing KWill either, maybe we get lucky again!? Thanks Studwell!! (and others!) :cheer:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/13098708/draft-preview-defensive-backs?tag=coverlist_active;coverlist_footer

Sounds like Earl Thomas could play some CB too...which, of course, makes it even less likely he's there at 30! My idea is that we could use him at CB til we got Griff and Winny etc healthy, but improve our depth at S too, just in case we're not happy with Tyrell's development, or Madieu's attention to detail.

Our flirtation with LT has had me thinking about our backup RB/third down guy a lot more than expected. I do think AY and IJ have some potential there, but IF AP was to miss time, our depth of talent would be pretty scary! Bit of a stretch, sure, but Jahvid Best and his 4.3 40 time might be one heck of a threat to have on the field with and in rotation with Peterson.

SKOL VIKINGS!!! CHEERS TO ANOTHER GOOD DRAFT!!!!!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Marrdro wrote:
    mountainviking wrote:
    Now we are getting someplace.

Lions.
    I had a PUKER fan on this site try to convince me the Lions didn't need OT help. Don't be suprised if my final mock has a OT there for them with the first pick.

Seattle.
    S seems to be were they are now going after landing thier QB.

Steelers.
    The Vikes didn't draft WR's in the first round either. By the way, they added a QB, 3 WR's, 1 OL, 2 DL, 3 LB'rs, a SS and a FS to thier roster in FA. My guess, they go OL with thier first round pick because of the need and the talent there to choose from so that they can keep sex boy safe.

Houston.
    Ryan Matthews that high huh. Interesting. I thought they would look to replace Dunta there.

Jets.
    I toyed with Tate there as well. Still might change it to him in my final.

Vikes.
    S over a CB? We already have 2 youngsters there although the new DB coach could be an indicator they are going with a S over a CB. I'm gonna stick with a CB here instead of a S.

If they are gonna go S, my guess is they will look at a Kendrick Lewis or Robert Vaughn in the 6th or 7th as both seem to be a fit at either FS or CB. They seem to like DB's who can play both positions.

Other than that, loved it.
    I love this time of the year! Cheers Marr!! Arm chair GM!?!??

:cheer: :laugh:

DET might have to flip a coin! You know that coach has seen first hand what having a monster in the middle can do for your defense (Haynesworth b4 payday).

I had SEA grabbing Mays with their 2nd pick (no.14). He played for Carroll, and knows the system/language/blah blah blah. (Isn't he a defensive minded coach?) Their OL has had issues since they lost Hutch and tons of injuries too, which, often leads to injuries to your QB! Doh! I would guess they draft multiple OL men, and the talent at OT is going fast...

Steelers, sure could happen. Kinda looked like they could use some return help too tho, so the value...?

CB looked kinda picked over and Houston has been missing a true all around RB for their entire existance...sooner or later, they'll make a move there. I was kinda thinking Dwyer, to add more bruiser/weight to the slash they have in Slaton, but he doesn't rate quite as high. You're prob right tho, they'll likely grab another 2nd or 3rd round RB.

Seems like the Jets best 2 WRs, Edwards and Keller, both have issues with their hands, so I thought Tate was a good fit since he gave them a lil more reliability.

And, of course, any one of these picks changing changes the whole rest of the round! LOL! DET starts either a run on DL or OL, SEA could go Early Thomas or pass rush, Steelers go OL leaves a CB for HOU etc etc etc! :woohoo:
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

mountainviking wrote:
    Thanks!

I think I struggled with the Vikings pick as much or more than any of them. The way things fell, there are several good options, it just depends on which way our boyz are leaning as to our biggest need. I see our situations with secondary, OL, RB, QB and DT as roughly the same...we have some vets and some youth in place already, the tough part is guessing which picks we got luckiest on last year(s) ie, who is going to work out the best so se can invest where we really need to most.

Pouncey could be a great pick, IF we decide Sully doesn't have the size/isn't improving fast enough, or Herrera isn't as good as we could be at OG Not to mention, youth behind Hutch...how many years do we have him? And, we need a multi backup to replace Hicks anyway.

IF Clausen really fell all the way to 30, I'd think we'd at least take a look. And then there's the TBone too. Once again, got to wonder, how does Chilly really feel about Jackson's probability of improving? Or, Sage leading us to and through the playoffs...?

Price at DT could be a good option, but the position is pretty picked over...of course, nobody seemed to see us grabbing KWill either, maybe we get lucky again!? Thanks Studwell!! (and others!) :cheer:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/13098708/draft-preview-defensive-backs?tag=coverlist_active;coverlist_footer

Sounds like Earl Thomas could play some CB too...which, of course, makes it even less likely he's there at 30! My idea is that we could use him at CB til we got Griff and Winny etc healthy, but improve our depth at S too, just in case we're not happy with Tyrell's development, or Madieu's attention to detail.

Our flirtation with LT has had me thinking about our backup RB/third down guy a lot more than expected. I do think AY and IJ have some potential there, but IF AP was to miss time, our depth of talent would be pretty scary! Bit of a stretch, sure, but Jahvid Best and his 4.3 40 time might be one heck of a threat to have on the field with and in rotation with Peterson.

SKOL VIKINGS!!! CHEERS TO ANOTHER GOOD DRAFT!!!!!
    Good stuff my friend. Just one comment, mostly cause I'm short on time....

Our flirtation with LT is an indicator to me that they were just taking a shot at getting a Vet in and doesn't really say anything bad about Ian or Albert.

In the end, I still think they will try to bring in a Vet before camp, but will wait until after the draft to see who else gets jettisoned by the team.....But it in no way is a indicator that they will draft another RB. Atleast not early in the draft.

I just can't help thinking that they want a Vet, not because we aren't talented, but it seems to be the only roster position that doesn't have some sort of Vet leadership on/in it.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

mountainviking wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    mountainviking wrote:
    Now we are getting someplace.

Lions.
    I had a PUKER fan on this site try to convince me the Lions didn't need OT help. Don't be suprised if my final mock has a OT there for them with the first pick.

Seattle.
    S seems to be were they are now going after landing thier QB.

Steelers.
    The Vikes didn't draft WR's in the first round either. By the way, they added a QB, 3 WR's, 1 OL, 2 DL, 3 LB'rs, a SS and a FS to thier roster in FA. My guess, they go OL with thier first round pick because of the need and the talent there to choose from so that they can keep sex boy safe.

Houston.
    Ryan Matthews that high huh. Interesting. I thought they would look to replace Dunta there.

Jets.
    I toyed with Tate there as well. Still might change it to him in my final.

Vikes.
    S over a CB? We already have 2 youngsters there although the new DB coach could be an indicator they are going with a S over a CB. I'm gonna stick with a CB here instead of a S.

If they are gonna go S, my guess is they will look at a Kendrick Lewis or Robert Vaughn in the 6th or 7th as both seem to be a fit at either FS or CB. They seem to like DB's who can play both positions.

Other than that, loved it.
    I love this time of the year! Cheers Marr!! Arm chair GM!?!??

:cheer: :laugh:

DET might have to flip a coin! You know that coach has seen first hand what having a monster in the middle can do for your defense (Haynesworth b4 payday).

I had SEA grabbing Mays with their 2nd pick (no.14). He played for Carroll, and knows the system/language/blah blah blah. (Isn't he a defensive minded coach?) Their OL has had issues since they lost Hutch and tons of injuries too, which, often leads to injuries to your QB! Doh! I would guess they draft multiple OL men, and the talent at OT is going fast...

Steelers, sure could happen. Kinda looked like they could use some return help too tho, so the value...?

CB looked kinda picked over and Houston has been missing a true all around RB for their entire existance...sooner or later, they'll make a move there. I was kinda thinking Dwyer, to add more bruiser/weight to the slash they have in Slaton, but he doesn't rate quite as high. You're prob right tho, they'll likely grab another 2nd or 3rd round RB.

Seems like the Jets best 2 WRs, Edwards and Keller, both have issues with their hands, so I thought Tate was a good fit since he gave them a lil more reliability.

And, of course, any one of these picks changing changes the whole rest of the round! LOL! DET starts either a run on DL or OL, SEA could go Early Thomas or pass rush, Steelers go OL leaves a CB for HOU etc etc etc! :woohoo:
    LOL, when was the last time I told you that you crack me up my friend.

Anway, lots of good stuff in there, but alas, not enough time to digest/comment on all of it.

My intent is to spend all day Sunday working on my final 5 rounds and getting it posted.

That will really tell, at least for me, who falls were with respect to all of the teams. After I get that done I have a better idea of how each team could approach the draft, i.e. do they take a CB in the second or is there still value in the third allowing them to take a QB in the first cause theres nothing there that fits later on kindof approach to things.

From there I will stack my draft board one more time and go through each pick, paying close attention to FA moves, player visits etc before I go with my final mock.

On a side note, I think I am gonna put my final mock on another site were I can update it as things change in FA. Absolutely hate how I can't update things on here anymore. I am sure Webby will have that fixed, just for me by this time next year. :lol:
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Big C2 is offline Training Camp

My opinion is that we won't draft a CB or S in the first round because:
    1. We have a lot of money invested in Winfield and Griffin.
    2. We have a 2nd round investment in Asher Allen from last year.
    3. Benny Sapp proved that he can step in at starting CB till Griffin is healed up.
    4. Tyrell Johnson started to show up at the tail end of the season.
    5. Jamarca Sanford flashed enough to compete with Johnson.

I would move up a few spots to pick Jimmy Clausen if he slipped past #20 (before the Cards pick him up).

If Clausen is not available at our pick, I think we will go OG or DT.
    None

Big C2 wrote:
    3. Benny Sapp proved that he can step in at starting CB till Griffin is healed up.

I would move up a few spots to pick Jimmy Clausen if he slipped past #20 (before the Cards pick him up).

I agree in total with 2 through 5 and partially agree with 1. Only reason I partially agree is that even though we put some money into both of them, starter money in fact, when I stop and look at the contracts, both were below figures that other starters got.

Again, I agree that we probably need to really look hard at the CB position, but don't think we are gonna solve it with a top tier vet because of item 1 but it isn't as bad as I originally thought when I first started saying that a few months ago.

As to Claussen. As I said in response to your other post. If the teams that really need QB's don't want them, then I don't want them either and surely would never trade up to get one.

Nope, give me another mid to low round selection that I can sign for basically nothing. If he pans out and becomes a Brady, great. If not, great, I loose nothing.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Marrdro wrote:
    Big C2 wrote:

I agree in total with 2 through 5 and partially agree with 1. Only reason I partially agree is that even though we put some money into both of them, starter money in fact, when I stop and look at the contracts, both were below figures that other starters got.

Again, I agree that we probably need to really look hard at the CB position, but don't think we are gonna solve it with a top tier vet because of item 1 but it isn't as bad as I originally thought when I first started saying that a few months ago.

As to Claussen. As I said in response to your other post. If the teams that really need QB's don't want them, then I don't want them either and surely would never trade up to get one.

Nope, give me another mid to low round selection that I can sign for basically nothing. If he pans out and becomes a Brady, great. If not, great, I loose nothing.
    Your reason for not taking Claussen is very weak, IMHO. Just because another team doesn't have clausen at the top of there board when it's their turn to pick in the first round doesn't mean he won't be at the top of our board when we pick.
    BPA that fits the scheme and fills a need.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Here are some more mocks, what this topic is actually about. Not the Vikings.

Charles Davis: http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d8172086d&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Bucky Brooks: http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d816ffb3c&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Pat Kirwan: http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d81714d0c&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true
    We're bringing purple back.

jmcdon00 wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Big C2 wrote:

Your reason for not taking Claussen is very weak, IMHO. Just because another team doesn't have clausen at the top of there board when it's their turn to pick in the first round doesn't mean he won't be at the top of our board when we pick.
    BPA that fits the scheme and fills a need.
    You know I preach BPA, however, when it comes to QB's I really don't subscribe to my own drivel.

Rationale here is that in most instances a QB just flat doesn't fit your scheme even though he might be the best damn player on the board, case in point Tebow.

Hell of an athlete, proven winner at the last level, but slow windup, low ball, poor footwork are not conduscive to being a WCO QB.

Claussen has some of those same ills...... Good but not great arm strenght, (accuracey) throws to wrong shoulder on out and crossing patterns, tends to take chances going deep when he should take checkdown.

Again, not doubting he would eventually be a good QB, just not in a WC variations.

Big C2 is offline Training Camp

The main reason Clausen could drop is because not many teams need a QB in the first round this year. His stock is not dropping because of poor scouting reports, but simply because of a lack of demand at the QB position. And if the Rams do indeed close the McNabb trade this becomes even more plausible.

Then again, I was so mad when we drafted Peterson so I am by no means a draft expert

I don't follow NCAA so this thread is giving me some good perspective. Looking forward to everyone mocks after McNabb is traded
    None

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast