Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: THE key to success!

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    I think a big key to AP's success will come down to wether he decides to protect himself, I'm enamored with AP and what he can do but in reality "The Honest world" it will take more than a good oline to keep him from getting injured. He must tone it down at times and live another play. Although it is fun to watch just like Emmit has said you have to learn to protect your body as a RB.

TOO KEVINCOX:
    Bryant McKinnie is a huge liability, see once McKinnie starts to drink he is unable to control himself resulting in bad situations. He's 100% responsible for what he does, regardless of wether it was a team boat party. If we decide to keep the looser on our team and he decides to make another mistake we could be without him for a whole year. I believe getting rid of him and bringing in another guy would be the safest bet. According to the way we have recently delt with these situations it leads me to believe he's gonna be gonzo.

DOn't you see something wrong in celebrating a trade for a guy that had 3 DUIs in 4 years and then bashing MAc for his incidents. Allen just seems to have gotten himself together and it took him 5 years to do so and a LEAGUE Suspension.

Allen faces the same suspension that Mac faces. I believe Mac will get 4 games(since it's his first league suspension) and shouldn't we stand by Mac since we are willing to forgive and forget Allen? I just find i incredible that people can look at a guy that is more of a habitual offender than Mac and defend the TRADE we are going to make for him and then Bash MAC as a loser and a ruffin. The love boat incident and the club incident are un related and not similar. However, 3 DUIs shows me that at tha point in his life, he didn't care anout anything; the law, his life, his team mates or the publics well being. Allen could have killed me. Mac just beat down a bouncer( i don't think he hit the bouncer just that he was swinging the pole)
    that's a fight between him and the bouncer. MAc le down
    himself and hist team.
    I personally have been disappointed by McKinney since 2005 and have been open to trading him for about 2 years. It has less to do with his behavior than his play on the field and IMO that may have less to do with his ability than him not fitting our system. He did pretty darn well until our new scheme came in but there are parts of it he just can't get. Now, another team who has a scheme closer to our old one could be a good fit for him and gain him back some of his status as an elite LT. If that were to happen it would be the best for everybody. But that said my opinion has been that he is not a good LT for our current situation. I was getting bashed pretty hard for suggesting this prior to the nightclub incident but now there are more people asking for him to be dealt. It is just for a different reason.

"Jimmymeboy" wrote:
    Call him what you want, "The Franchise", "Mr. Dynasty", "All Day".
    In my humble opinion Adrian Peterson is a gold mine and as long as the Vikings protect him we will win the superbowl.
    It has to be the imperative to keep a huge, aggressively nasty O-line in front of him.
    After that everything else will take care of itself.
    Tavaris will have the time needed to throw,(and we now have bona fide pass CATCHERS) we will have a ball control offense allowing the defense to rest and come in every series with there ears pinned back and with the enormous holes that will be created AP will be as healthy in week 16 as he was in week 1 and so on and so on.
    Just my opinion.
    And yes I realize I'm a simpleton, but quality depth in the O-line is where it's at, baby!
    CHURCH! i agree.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Right On!
    IMHO we need to find a way to draft a top OT talent and add Jared Allen to the DL!!

I'll agree that McKinnie and Allen are similar risks for suspension.
    The major difference, is that currently, Bryant is underperforming his contract in the passing game, and seemingly finding trouble regularly (4 arrests in 6 years?) while Allen is performing at the very top of the game and seemlingly, has left his trouble behind.

McKinnie is a great "mauler" type run blocker, but just a bit too big and slow vs. speed rushers.
    We've seen it again and again.
    So, I agree, he's worth an early (first or second) pick to the right team, and there are teams with needs at OT.
    But, that, overall, a year down the road, we may be better off with a Chris Williams or Cherilus or Baker, somebody more athletic would be a better fit for the zone scheme, and a better, all around LT.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

So do we trade away next year's pick to nab one similar to what the Browns did last year??

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

Purple D is offline Starter

"mountainviking" wrote:
    Right On!
    IMHO we need to find a way to draft a top OT talent and add Jared Allen to the DL!!

I'll agree that McKinnie and Allen are similar risks for suspension.
    The major difference, is that currently, Bryant is underperforming his contract in the passing game, and seemingly finding trouble regularly (4 arrests in 6 years?) while Allen is performing at the very top of the game and seemlingly, has left his trouble behind.

McKinnie is a great "mauler" type run blocker, but just a bit too big and slow vs. speed rushers.
    We've seen it again and again.
    So, I agree, he's worth an early (first or second) pick to the right team, and there are teams with needs at OT.
    But, that, overall, a year down the road, we may be better off with a Chris Williams or Cherilus or Baker, somebody more athletic would be a better fit for the zone scheme, and a better, all around LT.
    So what would the Vikes O-line look like if they draft a stud LT in the draft and move Mckinnie to the Right side?
    That way he is still the great run blocker but not letting the speed rushers come from the QB's blind side.

Four score and seven years ago, Brad Childress has brought upon this team, a west coast offense, conceived in San Francisco, and Dedicated to be a Kick jiggly butt offence. We are now engaged in an NFL season, testing weather that offense can get going or that our defense can long endure.

I'll say that RT is definitely an option.
    But, my guess, he's going to be suspended for 4 games.
    Might have jail time for longer.
    Hell, I saw one place that claimed his worst offense carried a possible 15 years jail!!
    Most likely, he'll bargain down to something better or perhaps perform whatever dark ritual needed to bring OJ's attorney back from the grave.
    But, pretty likely he misses a quarter to a half a season or more.
    Not good.
    Does he care enough to clean his act up?
    Hard to say.

Yeah, starting to look like the Browns...a 1st and 2nd for Allen, next year's first and a third for an OT this year...doesn't leave us much of a draft, but we could still package some late picks to get into the 2nd or third if needed.
    Sure it sucks trading away future picks, but you've got to like the fact the guy we get with it would be a year ahead in his learning curve.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    I think a big key to AP's success will come down to wether he decides to protect himself, I'm enamored with AP and what he can do but in reality "The Honest world" it will take more than a good oline to keep him from getting injured. He must tone it down at times and live another play. Although it is fun to watch just like Emmit has said you have to learn to protect your body as a RB.

TOO KEVINCOX:
    Bryant McKinnie is a huge liability, see once McKinnie starts to drink he is unable to control himself resulting in bad situations. He's 100% responsible for what he does, regardless of wether it was a team boat party. If we decide to keep the looser on our team and he decides to make another mistake we could be without him for a whole year. I believe getting rid of him and bringing in another guy would be the safest bet. According to the way we have recently delt with these situations it leads me to believe he's gonna be gonzo.

DOn't you see something wrong in celebrating a trade for a guy that had 3 DUIs in 4 years and then bashing MAc for his incidents. Allen just seems to have gotten himself together and it took him 5 years to do so and a LEAGUE Suspension.

Allen faces the same suspension that Mac faces. I believe Mac will get 4 games(since it's his first league suspension) and shouldn't we stand by Mac since we are willing to forgive and forget Allen? I just find i incredible that people can look at a guy that is more of a habitual offender than Mac and defend the TRADE we are going to make for him and then Bash MAC as a loser and a ruffin. The love boat incident and the club incident are un related and not similar. However, 3 DUIs shows me that at tha point in his life, he didn't care anout anything; the law, his life, his team mates or the publics well being. Allen could have killed me. Mac just beat down a bouncer( i don't think he hit the bouncer just that he was swinging the pole)
    that's a fight between him and the bouncer. MAc le down
    himself and hist team.
    This is a Post of mine from yesterday in regards to Allen's situation, don't think his problems go unoticed.

Its definitly important to take in consideration his Drinking problem, KRob had a similair drinking problem but his was so bad he went to jail much longer and rehab. Allen has been strong enough mentally to avoid the rehab centers. This is a good sign IMO. He also had his best NFL season last year off the booze. Something tells me their not too woried about his drinking otherwise he wouldn't be in the mix. EJ Henderson and Kevin Williams are both guys with DUI's that have managed to keep clean since.

Allen was rewarded by the comissioner with a reduced suspension from 4 games to 2 games for cleaning up his act his first game back was against us we all know what happened. I think its time he is rewarded with a nice contract, hopefully with the purple. Minnesota will be a good atmosphere for him, as we have no tollerance for antics and he will be the final piece to making this defense "Elite".

He is in same boat as Bryant McKinnie, one more strike and it could be a year, it is a risk but one I'm willing to take.

Furthermore I would like to explain the difference between McKinnie and Jared Allen. McKinnie's acts have been violent and ubseen. See anytime somebody spits in the face of another person I find it extremely disturbing and indecent, not to mention hitting him with a pole, these are serious offenses and are considered "Assault". Also keep in mind he came back after the fight to join in in a street brawl then "resisted" arrest. I find McKinnies acts far more immoral than anything Allen has done.

Jared Allan on the other hand is considered "The Man" in KC while there are mixed feelings here with McKinnie, most people want him gone. Allen is a "consistent" football player and a tremendous locker room leader, he is probably the most popular player amongst the Chiefs fans. From what I can tell Allen doesn't have serious Character issues. I don't agree with drinking and driving, hopefully he has quit for good. Allen's DUI's came within a small period of time, he was then suspended and has suposobly turned it around. He's showing good progress while McKinnie showed slim to none with even worse off the field incidents then his previous. You'll have to be your own judge on this one but I'm ready for some pass rush, getting a guy who has been a terror at the position sounds good to me, plus we are getting him at age 25 or 26, just the right time.

On the subject of DUI...obviously, I know its wrong at some levels, but this offense has been sorely abused!
    The Mothers Against Decent Diagnostics have completely and totally overblown the issue.
    Up here in the mountains of CO, it is even worse.
    We have several small communities linked by 1 road each, and very little crime in general.
    The popo have nothing better to do than bust balls for drinking.
    I bet over 50% of the people here have a DUI at some point in their lives due mostly to having a taillight out, a cracked windshield, or a dirty license plate.

It is pretty freaking lame that .08 is considered, "under the influence."
    I've heard several stories of people spending a night in jail for having two beers over the course of a steak dinner.
    I guess if that person is under 100lbs, maybe.
    But, I'm a pretty solid 210, and I am quite sure I can drive completely safe on more than two beers...especially, if I'm eating a big steak dinner!!

IMHO all drinkers are being punished for the dangerous actions and damages done by a few, over-the-top drinkers.
    Personally, I like to catch a mellow little buzz and sustain it.
    I got over drinking myself into oblivion years ago in college...where I walked everywhere.

So, I'll agree, repeat offenders, accidents and injury situations should be dealt with harshly.
    But your average Joe on vacation from sea level shouldn't be thrown in jail for having a couple of beers with dinner.

So, now, back to the issues at hand...I searched several times, and found very little detail on Allen's DUIs.
    What alcohol levels did he blow?
    Where was he at prior to being pulled over?
    Did he crash, or damage persons or property?
    I'd like a bit more of the big picture here.

And, on McKinnie, does anyone think alcohol wasn't involved in all his incidents?
    A guy 340 is too big to let himself get that out of control.
    Hell, I'm afraid I might hurt someone in a blackout, and I'm only 210 (albeit with extensive hand to hand training).
    BIG part of the reason I don't go there.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234