Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Kevon's Draft Sleeper list...

"jkjuggalo" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    I expect us to neglect Qb and adrress other needs here are my sleep per pics per round for the Vikings.

1st - Derrick Harvey, DE - Great pass rusher
    2nd - WR Adarius Bowman - A young TO ( minus the issues)
    3rd - Andre Caldwell / Sweed - Depending on combine
    3rd - Tom Zbikowski
    4th - Erin Henderson, Brign the brothers together( he's talanted too)
    5th - Ray Rice - Rutgers
    6th -
    Jermichael Finley, - Texas
    7th -
    Matt Flyn - LSU

I think we got everything we need.
    A DE, 2 wrs a Safty, a LB, a back up RB, TE and a QB....

Yeah, Rice will be gone on the first day unless something dramatic happens between now and the end of April.
    No way Henderson is around in the fourth round either.
    He is a solid first day pick and a lot of mocks have him going in the late first and early second round.
    We traded our 6th for that turd QB from Philly...KY Jelly Holecum.
    I have a bad feeling about Harvey.
    I think he is moderately overrated as a pass rusher.
    I would rather take Calais Campbell, or just pick up a DE like Jason Jones in a later round and take Kenny Phillips or Malcolm Kelly.
    Otherwise I like the rest of your picks.
    I think a lot of you guys missed the point of this post.

It was intended as a SLEEPER list, meaning guys that would be great value should the slip to us at our spot

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "dcboardr41" wrote:
    the 1st two sound pretty good
    but why do u have us taking 2 wrs?
    are we gonna carry 7 of them on our roster?
    id love to get zbikowski, but i udnno if he will be there in the 3rd rd
    same thing with rice, he is a 3rd/4th rd pick
    usually about 3 draft picks get cut before the season starts, and there is no 53 man roster for training camp, so it makes sense to get a bunch of guys in case one doesn't pan out.
    If you remember last year there were probably 8
    recievers at minicamp
    I hear ya however, if a staff draft wisely none should be cut.
    In fact of the last 2 drafts only Williams, Thygpen and Blue aren't currently on the roster.

To use a pick on someone that can't/won't make the team is ludicrous.

Rnd Name College
    1 Adrian Peterson Oklahoma

2 Rice Sidney South Carolina

3 McCauley Marcus Fresno State

4 Robison Brian Texas

5 Allison Aundrae East Carolina

6 Alexander Rufus Oklahoma

7 Thigpen Tyler Coastal Carolina

7 Williams Chandler Florida International

Rnd Name College

1 Chad Greenway Iowa

2 Cedric Griffin Texas

2 Ryan Cook New Mexico

2 Tarvaris Jackson Alabama State

4 Ray Edwards Purdue

5 Greg Blue Georgia
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

that is also because the team is still rebuilding, so childress is getting rid of the tice era players and replacing them with guys he drafted.
    They won't be able to keep 6 guys from every draft every year or else eventually we'll wind up with 80 players.

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    that is also because the team is still rebuilding, so childress is getting rid of the tice era players and replacing them with guys he drafted.
    They won't be able to keep 6 guys from every draft every year or else eventually we'll wind up with 80 players.
    Sure there will be busts, or guys that don't work out but trust me when I tell you that players age, get injured or leave via FA.

If the staff is working things correctly they won't be drafting just willy nilly but will draft guys that will make the team to make up for natural losses of players on the roster.

Case in point.
    They should be looking at positions such as FB, DT, S etc that either need, or will need future replacements, in this years draft.
    Depending on what happens with Erasmus and Keneche they might have to add DE to that list as well.

Again, they aren't gonna waste picks on a position that has a decent starter, a decent backup.
    If they want to add competion at positions such as those they will/can bring in undrafted FA (ala John Randle).

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    Sure there will be busts, or guys that don't work out but trust me when I tell you that players age, get injured or leave via FA.

If the staff is working things correctly they won't be drafting just willy nilly but will draft guys that will make the team to make up for natural losses of players on the roster.

Case in point.
    They should be looking at positions such as FB, DT, S etc that either need, or will need future replacements, in this years draft.
    Depending on what happens with Erasmus and Keneche they might have to add DE to that list as well.

Again, they aren't gonna waste picks on a position that has a decent starter, a decent backup.
    If they want to add competion at positions such as those they will/can bring in undrafted FA (ala John Randle).

But Marr,
    We had that in CT in 06 and still drafted AD. I think it's obvious that as a team you don't only draft for needs but you draft for talent.

I say we ignore Fullback because Dugan, and Sauce are both capable of filling tht role afte Rich is gone.
    We have 2 good back ups that can be brought back for cheap in Doss and Williams. I just don't get teams.
    We will spend a 3rd round pick on a unproven Dt but not spend that same pick on someone like Kris Jenkins( a pro bowl talent)

But Marr,
    We had that in CT in 06 and still drafted AD. I think it's obvious that as a team you don't only draft for needs but you draft for talent.
    I disgree today as well as pre-draft.
    We needed another RB going into that draft, I don't care how good CT did for us the games he was available.
    Just so happened that the best RB in the draft fell into our laps.
    ;D

If you are gonna run as much as this staff wants to, you need 2 good RB's that can suck up the load allowing the staff to keep them as healthy as possible.

Here are a couple of places were I not only defended my idea that we were gonna draft a RB (got alot of shit over that) but that our RB's didn't produce enough when CT went down.

If AD wouldn't have been there I am sure they would have drafted a RB someplace on the first day based on need.

http://www.purplepride.org/forums/in...9360#msg569360
    http://www.purplepride.org/forums/in...6207#msg576207

I say we ignore Fullback because Dugan, and Sauce are both capable of filling tht role afte Rich is gone.
    In this instance (to use your FB scenario), none of the FB's really fit what the staff is trying to do with respect to production out of the FB position (Primary Blocker, Secondary Reciever, Tertiary Runner).

As I've laid it out in other threads......Flexibility at the FB position is key in this scheme.

Klieny - Excellent blocker, marginal reciever, marginal runner.
    Dugan - Marginal blocker, marginal reciever, bad runner.
    Tahi - He is the wildcard as he seems to have all the attributes but is in his contract year and appears to be a bit small for a FB.
    T-rich - Excellent blocker, marginal reciever, marginal runner.
    Mills - Appears to be a good reciever, not sure on blocking or running.
    Is a bit small for a TE.

It doesn't appear that we are set at this position but we do have bodies.
    If a guy were to fall to the staff that had all 3 attributes and no other player was there that they needed, I wouldn't be suprised if they drafted a FB on the first day.

We have 2 good back ups that can be brought back for cheap in Doss and Williams. I just don't get teams.
    Not sure of our point on Doss and Williams?
    If this staff were to follow thier normal process they would have already offered them (or at least one of them) a contract if they thought they were gonna get much interest on the open market.
    My bet is one will get an offer from another team and one might not.
    The Vikes will probably offer that guys a deal.
    We will spend a 3rd round pick on a unproven Dt but not spend that same pick on someone like Kris Jenkins( a pro bowl talent)
    Not sure what you are trying to say there.
    Were was it said that we were/weren't intersested in Jenkins?
    Truth be told I think they will draft a DT as a future guy as well as a rotation guy as it is the cheaper way of doing busines as well as ensuring you have a future talent learning behind Phat Pat/Kevin.
    Release Spencer (to small to play the 3 gap) put Evans (young talent) and a rookie with Pat and Kevin and you will have a pretty decent rotation at DT without paying a huge sum for a Jenkins type player allowing you to spend CAP dollars elsewere.

90 Fred Evans DT 24 6-4 305 2 Texas State

97 Spencer Johnson DT 26 6-3 286 4 Auburn (UFA)
    93 Kevin Williams DT 27 6-5 311 5 Oklahoma State
    94 Pat Williams DT 35 6-3 317 11 Texas A&M

Longs story short, we as fans can't assume we are set at any position based on our love for a player(s) alone.

Spielman will bring guys in that not only fit the scheme but fit a need as well.
    It just depends on what value that player has and how he falls out in the draft.
    Difference between the 2006 and 2007 draft was Spielmen got the talent at or below were they were projected.......

Foley reached for guys.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:

But Marr,
    I disgree today as well as pre-draft.
    We needed another RB going into that draft, I don't care how good CT did for us the games he was available.
    Just so happened that the best RB in the draft fell into our laps.

;D

If you are gonna run as much as this staff wants to, you need 2 good RB's that can suck up the load allowing the staff to keep them as healthy as possible.

Here are a couple of places were I not only defended my idea that we were gonna draft a RB (got alot of pooh over that) but that our RB's didn't produce enough when CT went down.

If AD wouldn't have been there I am sure they would have drafted a RB someplace on the first day based on need.

http://www.purplepride.org/forums/in...9360#msg569360
    http://www.purplepride.org/forums/in...6207#msg576207

In this instance (to use your FB scenario), none of the FB's really fit what the staff is trying to do with respect to production out of the FB position (Primary Blocker, Secondary Reciever, Tertiary Runner).

As I've laid it out in other threads......Flexibility at the FB position is key in this scheme.

Klieny - Excellent blocker, marginal reciever, marginal runner.
    Dugan - Marginal blocker, marginal reciever, bad runner.
    Tahi - He is the wildcard as he seems to have all the attributes but is in his contract year and appears to be a bit small for a FB.
    T-rich - Excellent blocker, marginal reciever, marginal runner.
    Mills - Appears to be a good reciever, not sure on blocking or running.
    Is a bit small for a TE.

It doesn't appear that we are set at this position but we do have bodies.
    If a guy were to fall to the staff that had all 3 attributes and no other player was there that they needed, I wouldn't be suprised if they drafted a FB on the first day.

Not sure of our point on Doss and Williams?
    If this staff were to follow thier normal process they would have already offered them (or at least one of them) a contract if they thought they were gonna get much interest on the open market.
    My bet is one will get an offer from another team and one might not.
    The Vikes will probably offer that guys a deal.
    Not sure what you are trying to say there.
    Were was it said that we were/weren't intersested in Jenkins?
    Truth be told I think they will draft a DT as a future guy as well as a rotation guy as it is the cheaper way of doing busines as well as ensuring you have a future talent learning behind Phat Pat/Kevin.
    Release Spencer (to small to play the 3 gap) put Evans (young talent) and a rookie with Pat and Kevin and you will have a pretty decent rotation at DT without paying a huge sum for a Jenkins type player allowing you to spend CAP dollars elsewere.

90 Fred Evans DT 24 6-4 305 2 Texas State

97 Spencer Johnson DT 26 6-3 286 4 Auburn (UFA)
    93 Kevin Williams DT 27 6-5 311 5 Oklahoma State
    94 Pat Williams DT 35 6-3 317 11 Texas A&M

Longs story short, we as fans can't assume we are set at any position based on our love for a player(s) alone.

Spielman will bring guys in that not only fit the scheme but fit a need as well.
    It just depends on what value that player has and how he falls out in the draft.
    Difference between the 2006 and 2007 draft was Spielmen got the talent at or below were they were projected.......

Foley reached for guys.
    I was tryign to explain why I feel that Safety, DT and FB are servicable and are positions you can always and and not nessacry to draft.

We have more pressing needs at LB, And possible DE.
    I think WR will be our first pick but if someone like Brohm is still left at 17 I think the team may consider him. Truth be told our position at 17 is were teams tend to grab a top teir player that fell thru the crack.

"kevoncox" wrote:
    I was tryign to explain why I feel that Safety, DT and FB are servicable and are positions you can always and and not nessacry to draft.

I think WR will be our first pick but if someone like Brohm is still left at 17 I think the team may consider him. Truth be told our position at 17 is were teams tend to grab a top teir player that fell thru the crack.
    I disagree.

We carry 4 DT on the roster with one of them probably gone to FA (as I noted above), one is getting pretty old and has to come out a bit more often.

At FB we could see ourselves loosing a very servicable FB (T-rich) if he wants to much or to long of a contract with nothing better waiting other than some retread TE's filling in as FB's and S has us with 2 FA's that we haven't seen any indication that the staff has any interest in resigning.

I will give you DE but not sure LB is of that big of a concern that we address it with a early pick as we are only losing a couple of backups/ST players.

I will probably find some time to work on this this weekend as there is no football, however, here is the way I have the first two rounds going (pre-combine).

No. Team Round 1
    1 Miami Dolphins Sedrick Ellis, DT
    2 St. Louis Rams Jake Long, OT
    3 Atlanta Falcons # Matt Ryan, QB
    4 Oakland Raiders # Chris Long, DE
    5 Kansas City Chiefs # Glen Dorsey, DT
    6 New York Jets Darren, McFadden, RB
    7 New England Patriots (from 49ers) Gohlston, Vernon, OLB/DE
    8 Baltimore Ravens Brian Brohm, QB
    9 Cincinnati Bengals Jackson, Lawrence, DE
    10 New Orleans Saints Dan Connor, LB
    11 Buffalo Bills Limas Sweed, WR
    12 Denver Broncos Aqip Talib, CB
    13 Carolina Panthers Phillip Merling, DE
    14 Chicago Bears Ryan Clady, OT
    15 Detroit Lions Leodis McKelvin, CB
    16 Arizona Cardinals Sam Baker, OT
    17 Minnesota Vikings Reggie Smith, CB/S
    18 Houston Texans Mike Jenkins, CB
    19 Philadelphia Eagles Desean Jackson, WR/KR
    20 Tampa Bay Buccaneers * Kieth Rivers, LB
    21 Washington Redskins * Dominique Rogers-Cromartie CB
    22 Dallas Cowboys (from Browns) * Malcom Kelly, WR
    23 Pittsburgh Steelers * Gosder Cherilus, OT
    24 Tennessee Titans * Mario Manningham, WR
    25 Seattle Seahawks * Chris Williams, OT
    26 Jacksonville Jaguars * Quentin Groves, DE
    27 San Diego Chargers * Derek Harvey, DE/OLB
    28 Dallas Cowboys * Kenny Phillips, S
    29 San Francisco 49ers (from Colts) *Early Doucet, WR
    30 Green Bay Packers * Tracy Porter, CB
    31 New England Patriots * No Pick
    32 New York Giants * Jeff Otah, OT

No. Team Round 2
    33 Miami Dolphins Joe Flacco, QB
    34 St. Louis Rams Calais Campbell, DE
    35 Atlanta Falcons # Jonathan Stewart RB
    36 Kansas City Chiefs # Bruce Davis, OLB/DE
    37 New York Jets Calais Campbell, DE
    38 Oakland Raiders # Adarious Bowman, WR
    39 Baltimore Ravens Curtis Loften LB
    40 San Francisco 49ers Chris Johnson, RB
    41 New Orleans Saints Trevor Laws, DT
    42 Buffalo Bills Erin Henderson, LB
    43 Denver Broncos James Hardy, WR
    44 Carolina Panthers Rashad, Mendenhall, RB
    45 Chicago Bears Chad Henne, QB
    46 Detroit Lions Felix Jones, RB
    47 Cincinnati Bengals Fred Davis, TE
    48 Minnesota Vikings Chris Ellis, DE
    49 Atlanta Falcons Patrick Lee, CB
    50 Philadelphia Eagles Brandon Flowers, CB
    51 Arizona Cardinals Ali Highsmith, LB
    52 Washington Redskins * Malcom Jenkins, CB
    53 Tampa Bay Buccaneers * Donnie Avery, WR
    54 Pittsburgh Steelers * Terrell Thomas, CB
    55 Tennessee Titans * Pat Sims, , DT
    56 Seattle Seahawks * Kevin Smith, RB
    57 Cleveland Browns Darrell Robertson, DE
    58 Miami Dolphins Roy Schuening, OG
    59 Jacksonville Jaguars Josh Morgan, WR
    60 Indianapolis Colts Jeremy Thompson, DE/OLB
    61 Green Bay Packers * Jamaal Charles, RB
    62 Dallas Cowboys * Carl Nicks, OT
    63 New England Patriots * Justin King, CB
    64 New York Giants * Jonathan Goff, LB

I still need to revisit some of the positions for a few teams as we are starting to see some of the "Pre-march" cuts as teams start to shave salary CAP $'rs but I think I am pretty close to what my final draft will look like.

Edit to plug in Early Doucet at Cajuns request.
    Not sure how I left him off my friend.
    ;D

jkjuggalo is offline Star Spokesman

Nice effort, but I hope you are wrong. :P

If Kenny Phillips and Devin Thomas are both available at our slots in the first and second rounds, I will be very disappointed if we don't pick at least one of them.
    Do you like Smith better than Phillips for a reason, or do you think our staff will like Smith better for a reason?
    I think Ellis could fall to the 3rd round, but rumors are we like Jason Jones from Eastern Michigan.
    I think we are picking him up in the 3rd to fill in our DE position.
    IMO Thomas will be a better WR than D. Jackson because he has better size and hands and still has game-breaking speed and agility.
    He might be the steal of the draft in the second round at 17.
    Rock out with your cock out!!!

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:

I disagree.

We carry 4 DT on the roster with one of them probably gone to FA (as I noted above), one is getting pretty old and has to come out a bit more often.

At FB we could see ourselves loosing a very servicable FB (T-rich) if he wants to much or to long of a contract with nothing better waiting other than some retread TE's filling in as FB's and S has us with 2 FA's that we haven't seen any indication that the staff has any interest in resigning.

I will give you DE but not sure LB is of that big of a concern that we address it with a early pick as we are only losing a couple of backups/ST players.

I will probably find some time to work on this this weekend as there is no football, however, here is the way I have the first two rounds going (pre-combine).

No. Team Round 1
    1 Miami Dolphins Sedrick Ellis, DT
    2 St. Louis Rams Jake Long, OT
    3 Atlanta Falcons # Matt Ryan, QB
    4 Oakland Raiders # Chris Long, DE
    5 Kansas City Chiefs # Glen Dorsey, DT
    6 New York Jets Darren, McFadden, RB
    7 New England Patriots (from 49ers) Gohlston, Vernon, OLB/DE
    8 Baltimore Ravens Brian Brohm, QB
    9 Cincinnati Bengals Jackson, Lawrence, DE
    10 New Orleans Saints Dan Connor, LB
    11 Buffalo Bills Limas Sweed, WR
    12 Denver Broncos Aqip Talib, CB
    13 Carolina Panthers Phillip Merling, DE
    14 Chicago Bears Ryan Clady, OT
    15 Detroit Lions Leodis McKelvin, CB
    16 Arizona Cardinals Sam Baker, OT
    17 Minnesota Vikings Reggie Smith, CB/S
    18 Houston Texans Mike Jenkins, CB
    19 Philadelphia Eagles Desean Jackson, WR/KR
    20 Tampa Bay Buccaneers * Kieth Rivers, LB
    21 Washington Redskins * Dominique Rogers-Cromartie CB
    22 Dallas Cowboys (from Browns) * Malcom Kelly, WR
    23 Pittsburgh Steelers * Gosder Cherilus, OT
    24 Tennessee Titans * Mario Manningham, WR
    25 Seattle Seahawks * Chris Williams, OT
    26 Jacksonville Jaguars * Quentin Groves, DE
    27 San Diego Chargers * Derek Harvey, DE/OLB
    28 Dallas Cowboys * Kenny Phillips, S
    29 San Francisco 49ers (from Colts) * Adarious Bowman, WR
    30 Green Bay Packers * Tracy Porter, CB
    31 New England Patriots * No Pick
    32 New York Giants * Jeff Otah, OT

No. Team Round 2
    33 Miami Dolphins Joe Flacco, QB
    34 St. Louis Rams Calais Campbell, DE
    35 Atlanta Falcons # Jonathan Stewart RB
    36 Kansas City Chiefs # Bruce Davis, OLB/DE
    37 New York Jets Calais Campbell, DE
    38 Oakland Raiders # James Hardy, WR
    39 Baltimore Ravens Curtis Loften LB
    40 San Francisco 49ers Chris Johnson, RB
    41 New Orleans Saints Trevor Laws, DT
    42 Buffalo Bills Erin Henderson, LB
    43 Denver Broncos Donnie Avery, WR
    44 Carolina Panthers Rashad, Mendenhall, RB
    45 Chicago Bears Chad Henne, QB
    46 Detroit Lions Felix Jones, RB
    47 Cincinnati Bengals Fred Davis, TE
    48 Minnesota Vikings Chris Ellis, DE
    49 Atlanta Falcons Patrick Lee, CB
    50 Philadelphia Eagles Brandon Flowers, CB
    51 Arizona Cardinals Ali Highsmith, LB
    52 Washington Redskins * Malcom Jenkins, CB
    53 Tampa Bay Buccaneers * Josh Morgan, WR
    54 Pittsburgh Steelers * Terrell Thomas, CB
    55 Tennessee Titans * Pat Sims, , DT
    56 Seattle Seahawks * Kevin Smith, RB
    57 Cleveland Browns Darrell Robertson, DE
    58 Miami Dolphins Roy Schuening, OG
    59 Jacksonville Jaguars Devin Thomas, WR
    60 Indianapolis Colts Jeremy Thompson, DE/OLB
    61 Green Bay Packers * Jamaal Charles, RB
    62 Dallas Cowboys * Carl Nicks, OT
    63 New England Patriots * Justin King, CB
    64 New York Giants * Jonathan Goff, LB

I still need to revisit some of the positions for a few teams as we are starting to see some of the "Pre-march" cuts as teams start to shave salary CAP $'rs but I think I am pretty close to what my final draft will look like.
    Nice job Marrdro. I respectfully differ with you on two points: #1 Al Davis will draft Brohm because he is stupid. Matt Millen will draft Desean Jackson (wr/kr) at 15 (if he's there) because Desean is "the best athelete availiable" and because Matt Millen is ,well, Matt Millen.
    Tuco the world.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast