Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Re: John Sullivan - Birk's replacement taking charge

"VikingsTw" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "He was out here last year when Birk was at home [during organized team activities]," Bevell said. "He jumped in and took charge.
    LMAO.

You mean Birk not being here for OTA's last year might have ACCELERATED and not HINDERED the young players development? Stop the presses. lol
    Who said it hindered Sullivan's Development? I think for me personally I wanted to see Birk in camp because I was seeing a lack of production on the field. I didn't think the Oline was living up to potential, I felt they needed all the time together, and I knew Birk was a older guy but again it comes back to the production. All in all the way that worked out was very nice, Sullivan got some much needed experience and we got a look at the future prospect.

On the subject of Sullivan I've been really impressed, even the slight time he did get in preseason last year, he used good technique and utilized his body build to his advantage in terms of leverage. I can't wait to see the Oline, especailly if Loadholt does well enough to start. If Sullivan pans out it will be huge for our drafting as he was a 6th rounder. Sage said he thought Sullivan had been playing for 6 or 7 years, thats how impressed he was with his overall knowledge and running the system. I think it gave Sullivan a jump start running the Pro Offense he did at Purdue(EDIT: Notre Dame) under Charlie Wise, a close friend to Childress. He also started several games and what I think is impressive is the WonderLic score a 35 and his extreme competitiveness as displayed by 3 State Titles in High School Wrestling a very grueling tuff sport.

There really isn't much doubt in my mind that Sullivan is going to be a good player for us, I think he has "it" and thats what you want to do in the 6th Round. Sullivan has short arms and had the weakest bench press at the combine(among Oline), as "physical attributes" they decreased his overall value, what I think is specail about Sullivan is his mental talent, capable of overcoming, getting stronger and using good technique. On a positive he did test higher is the "explosive" drills, like short shuttles and verticle leaping.
    Something to add to what Sage said, here is Hutchison's take:

"Right now, he's playing with the first unit," Hutchinson said. "He's being doing a good job. He's only been around here for a year, but you wouldn't think so the way he's continuing to learn and getting the offense down pat."

Sid Hartman: Hutchinson has faith in his new linemates
    http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/47729927.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiU9PmP:QiUiacyKUnciaec 8O7EyUr

mountainviking is online now Team Alumni

Well, that sounds great so far!
    Got to like Hutch and Sage's comments!!
    This is our biggest question IMO.
    Really, I think it could go one of three ways:

It takes time to replace a probowl C, Sully struggles possibly because of size, more likely, experience.
    Sully makes better presnap calls, and/or his added mobility opens up the playbook...hard to believe, perhaps, but better overall OL play is seen.
    The other two balance each other out somewhat...we have increased presnap/blitz pickup issues due to inexperience, and "gelling among the OL, but are obviously improved athletically, and the OL can perform more pulling, sweeping, screens etc.

Here's to hoping for No.2 And improved QB play helping the whole system out!!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"marstc09" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "He was out here last year when Birk was at home [during organized team activities]," Bevell said. "He jumped in and took charge.
    LMAO.

You mean Birk not being here for OTA's last year might have ACCELERATED and not HINDERED the young players development? Stop the presses. lol
    That is really an interesting point. Some yutz on here hates that. I actually want Brett away so TJ and Sage get the snaps.
    Course, that same yutz has always said, players play and coaches coach and has continually tried to edumacate you guys that old aging Vets don't teach the youngsters anything.
    Why the hell would they.
    Eventually it just means they are assed out the door and the young guy has thier job.

Anyway, good thing the coaches are coaching and the players are playing. Alleviated the lack of help/leadership the outgoing Center could have given his young backup.

As to this.......

I actually want Brett away so TJ and Sage get the snaps.
    You can't be serious. You really think he is that good that he can just show up and perform at the level you guys need him to?
    WOW.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"mountainviking" wrote:
    Really, I think it could go one of three ways:

It takes time to replace a probowl C, Sully struggles possibly because of size, more likely, experience.
    Sully makes better presnap calls, and/or his added mobility opens up the playbook...hard to believe, perhaps, but better overall OL play is seen.
    The other two balance each other out somewhat...we have increased presnap/blitz pickup issues due to inexperience, and "gelling among the OL, but are obviously improved athletically, and the OL can perform more pulling, sweeping, screens etc.

How did you determine that?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:

You can't be serious. You really think he is that good that he can just show up and perform at the level you guys need him to?
    WOW.
    +1

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:

WOW.
    +1
    Obviously I think that. LOL at you thinking a 17 year vet couldn't.

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    LMAO.

That is really an interesting point. Some yutz on here hates that. I actually want Brett away so TJ and Sage get the snaps.
    Course, that same yutz has always said, players play and coaches coach and has continually tried to edumacate you guys that old aging Vets don't teach the youngsters anything.
    Anything?! WOW! Is that this yutz?

"marstc09" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:

WOW.
    +1
    : Yep, he'll waltz right in here and already know the playbook, already have bonded with & be acclimated with the team & coaches, already have his timing down with Sullivan & already have his timing down with his receivers.

Yeah Right!

"singersp" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:

WOW.
    +1
    : Yep, he'll waltz right in here and already know the playbook, already have bonded with & be acclimated with the team & coaches, already have his timing down with Sullivan & already have his timing down with his receivers.

Yeah Right!

Obviously you have no idea what that was in reference to. Please reread the thread. OTAs. There is plenty of time for that in camp.
    :

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"singersp" wrote:
    "mountainviking" wrote:
    Really, [size=10pt][size=10pt]I think it could go one of three ways:
    [/size][/size]

How did you determine that?
    He didn't.

If you reread it you will see he was laying out hypothetical scenarios, not absolute statements.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast