Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Joe Webb Is Better Than Cam Newton

Yes, you heard me! I'd rather have Joe Webb than Cam Newton on my team. I will come back to that later, but first I want to explain why Webb and Newton are also very similar.

[ol]
    [li]Body: Both quarterbacks have excellent height and bulk for the NFL. Newton is somewhere around 6'5" and Webb is around 6'4". Webb weights around 223 pounds and Newton is a bit bigger as he's just shy of 250 pounds. Newton and Webb are what what you want to see in a quarterback's size on paper, but they look even more impressive in person. They look very athletic.[/li]
    [li]Throwing Arm: Both quarterbacks can make all the throws and shows great velocity behind it. They both have a good deep ball, but unfortunately struggles with accuracy too often.[/li]
    [li]Mobility: Both quarterbacks are known for having fast legs and each have broken school records for rushing quarterbacks in college. They are not only extremely fast for their size, but they also possess good abilities at avoiding tacklers and has good running visions.[/li]
    [li]Experience: Both quarterbacks lacks experience in a pro-style offense and has played very little on a high level. Newton has really only played one year in college. (ONE YEAR and people think he will be the first selection! :blink: ) Plus, Newton played in a spread offense where he rarely took snaps under center. Webb also didn't play in a pro-style offense and he played on a small school where the level of competition where lower. On the plus side, they are still young as Webb is 24 years old and Newton is only 21.[/li]
    [/ol]
    ... As you can see, there are many similarities between Webb and Newton, but you're probably still wondering what in the World makes me say Webb is better than Newton? Here's my explanation, going from least to most important:

1. Athleticism: As much of an athlete Newton is, Joe Webb is even more impressive. Let's compare some of the workout numbers:
    Vertical jump = Newton: 35' - Webb: 42'
    Broad Jump = Newton: 10'06" - Webb: 11'05"
    40 yard dash = Newton: 4.59 - Webb: 4.46 (Webb's slowest time is Newton's fastest)

2. Versatility: Newton is done if he doesn't work out in the NFL, Webb could likely revert back to wide receiver if it doesn't work out under center. Purely looking at Webb's speed, explosiveness, size and hands (se next point) he's one of the scariest receivers in the NFL. Hell, he has even returned kicks for the Vikings. How many players in the NFL has played started at wide receiver, quarterback and kick returner in one season?

3. Hands: Newton has small hands for his size at "only" 9.9'. Webb has huge hands at 10.8'.

4. Experience: Webb has little experience in a pro-style offense, but he still has much more playing experience than Newton. Newton has only started one year in college. Webb has three years and already has some playing time in the NFL.

For comparison, Newton has attempted 292 throws after high school (where maybe 40 of them was under center). Webb has attempted 881 throws (792 in college, 89 in the NFL). That's not two, but over three times more throws than Newton, and Webb is only three years older.

5. Character: I'm not saying Newton has a big ego, but it certainly seems that Webb does not have it. I've seen some of his interviews and the fact that he said he was happy to convert to receiver (I suspected it's not what he really wants) shows me that he's no diva. Newton has some character questions and while he went through college as a criminal, Webb graduated with a criminal justice degree.

UPDATE: 6. Cost: Webb is already here and we have to give up a first rounder to get Newton. Plus, Webb is VERY cheap and newton will likely demand a huge contract. (Thanks to Purple Floyd for the pointer! )

Cameron Newton with the 12th selection... no thanks!

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Joe Webb Is Better Than Cam Newton

Quote Originally Posted by "HEY" #1092898
    Yes, you heard me! I'd rather have Joe Webb than Cam Newton on my team. I will come back to that later, but first I want to explain why Webb and Newton are also very similar.

[ol]
    [li]Body: Both quarterbacks have excellent height and bulk for the NFL. Newton is somewhere around 6'5" and Webb is around 6'4". Webb weights around 223 pounds and Newton is a bit bigger as he's just shy of 250 pounds. Newton and Webb are what what you want to see in a quarterback's size on paper, but they look even more impressive in person. They look very athletic.[/li]
    [li]Throwing Arm: Both quarterbacks can make all the throws and shows great velocity behind it. They both have a good deep ball, but unfortunately struggles with accuracy too often.[/li]
    [li]Mobility: Both quarterbacks are known for having fast legs and each have broken school records for rushing quarterbacks in college. They are not only extremely fast for their size, but they also possess good abilities at avoiding tacklers and has good running visions.[/li]
    [li]Experience: Both quarterbacks lacks experience in a pro-style offense and has played very little on a high level. Newton has really only played one year in college. (ONE YEAR and people think he will be the first selection! :blink: ) Plus, Newton played in a spread offense where he rarely took snaps under center. Webb also didn't play in a pro-style offense and he played on a small school where the level of competition where lower. On the plus side, they are still young as Webb is 24 years old and Newton is only 21.[/li]
    [/ol]
    ... As you can see, there are many similarities between Webb and Newton, but you're probably still wondering what in the World makes me say Webb is better than Newton? Here's my explanation, going from least to most important:

1. Athleticism: As much of an athlete Newton is, Joe Webb is even more impressive. Let's compare some of the workout numbers:
    40 yard dash = Newton: 4.59 - Webb: 4.46 (Webb's slowest time is Newton's fastest)

2. Versatility: Newton is done if he doesn't work out in the NFL, Webb could likely revert back to wide receiver if it doesn't work out under center. Purely looking at Webb's speed, explosiveness, size and hands (se next point) he's one of the scariest receivers in the NFL. Hell, he has even returned kicks for the Vikings. How many players in the NFL has played started at wide receiver, quarterback and kick returner in one season?

3. Hands: Newton has small hands for his size at "only" 9'9". Webb has huge hands at 10'8".

4. Experience: Webb has little experience in a pro-style offense, but he still has much more playing experience than Newton. Newton has only started one year in college. Webb has three years and already has some playing time in the NFL.

For comparison, Newton has attempted 292 throws after high school (where maybe 40 of them was under center). Webb has attempted 881 throws (792 in college, 89 in the NFL). That's not two, but over three times more throws than Newton, and Webb is only three years older.

5. Character: I'm not saying Newton has a big ego, but it certainly seems that Webb does not have it. I've seen some of his interviews and the fact that he said he was happy to convert to receiver (I suspected it's not what he really wants) shows me that he's no diva. Newton has some character questions and while he went through college as a criminal, Webb graduated with a criminal justice degree.

I look at it this way. They are both developmental guys and I have not seen enough from either of them to think they could be day 1 starters. With both of them you are banking on potential being turned into a finished product and I cannot say that I feel more confident in one over the other in that respect. But Webb is here, he is cheap right now and if I had to choose I would take Webb and spend the 12 pick on adding another player to help us out.

HEY
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1092899
    I look at it this way. They are both developmental guys and I have not seen enough from either of them to think they could be day 1 starters. With both of them you are banking on potential being turned into a finished product and I cannot say that I feel more confident in one over the other in that respect. But Webb is here, he is cheap right now and if I had to choose I would take Webb and spend the 12 pick on adding another player to help us out.
    Exactly what I'm thinking. I should have added the "Webb is here and cheap" to the list. We already have our Cam Newton, no reason to add another one.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

[ol]
    [/ol]

3. Hands: Newton has small hands for his size at "only" 9'9". Webb has huge hands at 10'8".

Well said.

Two good posts in this thread so far, and I have hard time believing anyone could disagree with the assessment.

The only things I'd point out are: Intangibles - Cam Newton is a winner, no doubt about it. He has the "it" factor. Webb didn't have the talent or coaching surrounding him in college that Newton did, so may have had less of an opportunity to shine.

Offensive Background: Newton did not run a typical "spread" offense. Malzahn is a run first offense with a lot of single wing principles. But the same passing criticism, if not more than traditional spread offenses, can be applied to Cam Newton. If Chase Daniel and Tony Pike weren't ready to throw the ball as a pro because of the offense they came from, Cam Newton is barely ready for a college pro-style offense.

Thirdly: Joe Webb must have a hard time walking around with hand that are ten feet from pinky to thumb :P

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

[ol]
    [/ol]

UPDATE: 6. Cost: Webb is already here and we have to give up a first rounder to get Newton. Plus, Webb is VERY cheap and newton will likely demand a huge contract. (Thanks to Purple Floyd for the pointer! )

Very nice comparison... If I had a spread sheet, you'd move up...or sideways...or something.....but I don't, so you just get a "very nice comparison" note.

One other element to be considered:

Your comparison is based almost solely upon physical attributes - and while those are important, they are not the MOST important for a QB.

His MENTAL game is.

There are typically very good reasons why QB's are recruited to Division I schools. And if they work out there, that says something.

QB's who are NOT recruited to Div-I schools CAN be successful...but the numbers say it's a far longer shot.

Newton was originally recruited to the University of Florida...where he screwed up. Of course, look at his father....I think you can see why.

He ended his college career at Auburn - where he won the BCS National Championship AND the Heisman.

Joe Webb, by comparison, played his entire career at the University of Alabama-Birmingham...a C-USA school. He played as a Sophomore because he switched to Receiver. As a Junior, he went back to QB where he stayed until he entered the draft. And while his numbers are impressive, they occurred at a smaller school, in a weaker conference.

That isn't to say that Newton automatically trumps Webb...not at all. But you can't ignore those elements.

Caine

HEY
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Anderson" #1092902
    Joe Webb must have a hard time walking around with hand that are ten feet from pinky to thumb :P
    HAHA! Ops... gotta change that! :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1092903
    Very nice comparison... If I had a spread sheet, you'd move up...or sideways...or something.....but I don't, so you just get a "very nice comparison" note.

One other element to be considered:

Your comparison is based almost solely upon physical attributes - and while those are important, they are not the MOST important for a QB.

His MENTAL game is.
    No doubt, I agree. Honestly, the thing is that it's much easier to analyze the physical attributes than the mental. To do that I have to watch a lot of game tape and I honestly don't have time for such. (nor do I want... unless I got paid of course)

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Anderson" #1092902

[ol]
    [/ol]

Well said.

Two good posts in this thread so far, and I have hard time believing anyone could disagree with the assessment.

The only things I'd point out are: Intangibles - Cam Newton is a winner, no doubt about it. He has the "it" factor. Webb didn't have the talent or coaching surrounding him in college that Newton did, so may have had less of an opportunity to shine.

Offensive Background: Newton did not run a typical "spread" offense. Malzahn is a run first offense with a lot of single wing principles. But the same passing criticism, if not more than traditional spread offenses, can be applied to Cam Newton. If Chase Daniel and Tony Pike weren't ready to throw the ball as a pro because of the offense they came from, Cam Newton is barely ready for a college pro-style offense.

Thirdly: Joe Webb must have a hard time walking around with hand that are ten feet from pinky to thumb :P
    Agreed.

One thing I will say- I actually hope both Cam and Webb succeed to their potential. They are both amazingly gifted physically and if they are able to get the mental part in line with their physical skills they are going to be able to generate a boatload of money. Obviously the odds would be higher for Cam to make it but we all know that doesn't always pan out that way.

Cam will more than likely be gone long before the Vikings choose unless something surfaces between now and the draft to change things so the discussion id probably moot. But in regards to Webb Vs. any of the QB's in the draft that will be on the board I have the same opinion ( Except Stanzi:woohoo: ). We will be taking a chance on them and I don't want to spend a high draft choice and the next 5 years on another jackson experiment.

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

If cam falls to us I hope to god we trade back and pick up a third/second rounder in the process. Of course, if he is a star then we look like morons for passing on him to draft the player(s) that are inevitably going to be huge busts.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

thorshammer is offline Asst. Coach

We do already have a Cam Newton type on our roster .... agree one is enough.
    I'd like to see Webb get a chance and I hope they let him compete. I love his attitude. Always smiling and fired up. He has the right make up as far as no huge ego.

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

You can draw all the conclusions you want and comparing size, speed and strength - but the biggest thing is who is better at playing football..

While i don't like picking Newton, there is still a reason that he is considered a first round pick and Webb was picked in the 6th..

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast