Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    cito is offline Training Camp

Joe Flacco in the second round?

What do you guys think of picking up Joe Flacco if he is available in the second round?
    I would say its a no-brainer if he is available in the third round.
    He sounds like a real prospect for backup and push TJ with some real competition.

The guy is like 6'6" and 240 pounds with a rocket arm.
    It will be fun to see how he does at the combine workouts.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Joe Flacco in the second round?

Do you actually believe that the Vikings staff considers the QB situation on this team so dire that they would use thier 2nd pick on a QB instead of addressing areas such as:

S
    - Two of 5 are UFA right now.
    One of our S is aging and will probably only be around for at least one more year.
    DE - The unexpected loss of Keneche and now we are hearing that Erasmus won't be 100% (again)
    DT - 1 of 4 is a UFA (and he really doesn't fit the scheme), 1 can't play every down.
    WR - Nuff said.
    RB - Although not a pressing need, Memo leaving would dictate taking a guy in the later rounds.
    Good thing is this draft is deep deep deep at RB.

Look, I am not that enamoured with TJ to think that the coaching staff wouldn't like to have a Flacco kindof guy in the early rounds but this team has pressing needs in several key positions not to mention the fact that we have 10 UFA of our own leaving and limited CAP to fix those positions.

Long story short, this staff will use the draft to replace most of the 10 leaving, sign a couple of FA in areas of most pressing need.
    Regardless of what most of us think about TJ, QB isn't one of those needs based on the indicators we are getting out of Winter Park.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

As much as I don't want to have TJack as the QB this year. I don't see a QB being taken that high. Plus there has been alot of tlk recently about a Qb not bueing taken until late in round 1. I have a feeling that there will be soem tems that will make runs at QB early in the second round. Detroit, Atlanta, Miami, Ravens and Bears are all teams who I see as looking for a QB especially if they fall. If they go QB I see 4th or 5th round where a player like Booty, Ainge or even a Qb like O'connell or (gasp) Brennan, with a string showing in the combine.

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Do you actually believe that the Vikings staff considers the QB situation on this team so dire that they would use thier 2nd pick on a QB instead of addressing areas such as:

S
    One of our S is aging and will probably only be around for at least one more year.
    DE - The unexpected loss of Keneche and now we are hearing that Erasmus won't be 100% (again)
    DT - 1 of 4 is a UFA (and he really doesn't fit the scheme), 1 can't play every down.
    WR - Nuff said.
    RB - Although not a pressing need, Memo leaving would dictate taking a guy in the later rounds.

Look, I am not that enamoured with TJ to think that the coaching staff wouldn't like to have a Flacco kindof guy in the early rounds but this team has pressing needs in several key positions not to mention the fact that we have 10 UFA of our own leaving and limited CAP to fix those positions.

Long story short, this staff will use the draft to replace most of the 10 leaving, sign a couple of FA in areas of most pressing need.
    Regardless of what most of us think about TJ, QB isn't one of those needs based on the indicators we are getting out of Winter Park.
    You never know. I don't know what the front office thinks our needs are, or how they rate players. Was our RB situation so dire last year we needed to use the no.7 overall pick on one? Also we still have cuts to make (money!) and free agency to fill holes.

"jessejames09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

S
    WR - Nuff said.

You never know. I don't know what the front office thinks our needs are, or how they rate players. Was our RB situation so dire last year we needed to use the no.7 overall pick on one? Also we still have cuts to make (money!) and free agency to fill holes.
    I actually had RB pretty high on my list last year and took a bunch of sheeeyat from people for having them drafting AD instead of the likes of Ted Ginn Jr.
    ;D

What cuts do you see happening?
    Only cut I envision might (big might) be T-will.
    All the others (FA's) are probably planned lossess.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

gtinker63 is offline Rookie

"jessejames09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

S
    WR - Nuff said.

I couldn’t agree more with what jessejames said.

We currently do have holes at Defensive End, Safety (especially Free Safety), and Wide Receiver.
    However, we also have holes at Quarterback, Defensive Tackle, Running Back, and Full Back.
    Therefore, the Vikings front office will do what they can to fill those holes.
    Resigning current players, Free Agent signings, and the NFL draft are the vehicles used to fill those holes.

I think there is a very good chance the Vikings could use a high pick (rounds 1-3 on a QB).
    This could help solidify that position for years.
    If they don’t we could be sitting here discussing drafting a QB next year and the year after and so on.
    Drafting a top QB this season would give the Vikings TJ, rookie, and Bollinger/Holcomb.
    Yes this would be a very young core but the Vikings are still rebuilding.

DE, S, WR should be filled through Free Agency if they can be.
    These are the areas of desperate need.
    Rookies rarely step in and perform as good as seasoned vets.

I would really like to see the Vikings draft go QB, FB, RB, WR, DE, 2 S, and DT with their 8 draft choices.
    I do not know what order these should be taken in.
    I leave that up to the Vikings Hierarchy.
    They have had very good drafts in the last 2 years, so I trust them to take the best player available at that time in the draft.

With these 8 draft choices plus adding another S, WR, 1-2 DE’s, and maybe an OL and/or DB through free agency the Vikings could be in good shape for years to come.

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "jessejames09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

S
    WR - Nuff said.

I actually had RB pretty high on my list last year and took a bunch of sheeeyat from people for having them drafting AD instead of the likes of Ted Ginn Jr.
    ;D

If i could look at the cap numbers a bonuses due i could probably list a few. But I'm sure there are a few who won't earn what they will be making.

Kleiney, Troy, Erasmus, even Shank-Dog could all be cap casualties, I don't think the front office could swallow giving one of them another large bonus. Even our OL, I'm sure Marcus Johnson and Hicks have pretty decent contracts. Just some possibilities.

"jessejames09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "jessejames09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

S
    WR - Nuff said.

;D

If i could look at the cap numbers a bonuses due i could probably list a few. But I'm sure there are a few who won't earn what they will be making.

Kleiney, Troy, Erasmus, even Shank-Dog could all be cap casualties, I don't think the front office could swallow giving one of them another large bonus. Even our OL, I'm sure Marcus Johnson and Hicks have pretty decent contracts. Just some possibilities.
    Wow, some very interesting options there taht I didn't think about.

From what I can tell though, Twill isn't making very much, it is a roster bonus that is the huge sum, Shank wouldn't ever restructure a contract after his first year (although most want him to).

Erasmus is a candidate along with the Sauce as well.
    I need to go back to the thread started by JUCJ85 and see how much they really make.
    If memory servers, it isn't that much.
    (Probably wrong though).

Purplemania is offline Asst. Coach

Flacco is no longer going under the radar. I even doubt he will be available to us in the second. If he is, I 100% support the pick!
    Because I'm a Vikings fan, they are that much sexier.

"gtinker63" wrote:
    "jessejames09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

S
    WR - Nuff said.

I couldn’t agree more with what jessejames said.

We currently do have holes at Defensive End, Safety (especially Free Safety), and Wide Receiver.
    However, we also have holes at Quarterback, Defensive Tackle, Running Back, and Full Back.
    Therefore, the Vikings front office will do what they can to fill those holes.
    Resigning current players, Free Agent signings, and the NFL draft are the vehicles used to fill those holes.

I think there is a very good chance the Vikings could use a high pick (rounds 1-3 on a QB).
    This could help solidify that position for years.
    If they don’t we could be sitting here discussing drafting a QB next year and the year after and so on.
    Drafting a top QB this season would give the Vikings TJ, rookie, and Bollinger/Holcomb.
    Yes this would be a very young core but the Vikings are still rebuilding.

DE, S, WR should be filled through Free Agency if they can be.
    These are the areas of desperate need.
    Rookies rarely step in and perform as good as seasoned vets.

I would really like to see the Vikings draft go QB, FB, RB, WR, DE, 2 S, and DT with their 8 draft choices.
    I do not know what order these should be taken in.
    I leave that up to the Vikings Hierarchy.
    They have had very good drafts in the last 2 years, so I trust them to take the best player available at that time in the draft.

With these 8 draft choices plus adding another S, WR, 1-2 DE’s, and maybe an OL and/or DB through free agency the Vikings could be in good shape for years to come.

I couldn't disagree more......

Sounds like a great plan but how you gonna get all that done with 17 Mil in CAP space, 7 (not 8) Picks and 10 UFA getting ready to leave.

Trust me when I tell you this our priority of concern is not at the QB position, at least to the point that they will use a 1rst day pick.
    They will draft in the following order....

1. S - One of our biggest needs and one of the positions in this draft without alot of talent.
    One of the top 3 will be available at 17. The Vikes will take one there.
    2. DE - If not the biggest need, pretty gol 'darnit close to it.
    Becuase it is one of the deepest positions in the draft the Vikes will wait until the second round to address this position.
    3a. DT - With the impending loss of Spencer Johnson (To small to play DT at the 3 gap anyway) the Vikes will draft a DT that can add depth to the rotation as well as a future pocket collapser for Phat Pat.
    3.b LB - With Rufus coming back might not be that big of a need.
    They could loose Farwell if they can't match a qualifying offer.
    They might try to resign Thomas.
    Probably still gonna lose at least one.
    4. FB - Could draft one high on the second day or later but believe they might just opt to either move Mills to FB or resign T-rich to a one year contract if he doesn't get an offer. Depending on what happens in FA they might take a WR here instead.
    5. QB.
    Draft a guy to replace Thygpen who will be TJ's eventual replacement or backup.
    6. No pick in the 6th round.
    7. RB - A very deep draft at RB. They could wait until here or take a guy at 4 or 5 to replace Memo as Memo will cost to much to bring back and would eat up to much of the 17 mil that needs to be spent on a S, DE and WR in FA.

FA.
    Sign a DE and a WR with the money you have left over after you have signed your rookie class and a couple of your UFA's (Bolded).

Unrestricted Free Agents

Mike Doss S
    Unsigned
    Resign either Mike or Tank to a low ball offer if no other team offers them one.
    Robert Ferguson WR
    Unsigned
    I don't see any teams offering him something we can't afford.
    Spencer Johnson DT

Unsigned
    Mewelde Moore RB
    Unsigned
    Tony Richardson FB
    Unsigned
    Darrion Scott DE
    Unsigned
    Dontarrious Thomas LB
    Unsigned
    Plays all the positions.
    Resign if he doesn't get a big offer from another team.
    If they do, match the offer for Heath if it isn't to big.
    Ronyell Whitaker CB

Unsigned
    Tank Williams S

Unsigned
    Restricted Free Agents

Heath Farwell LB
    Unsigned

Get rid of KH and BB and use thier combined salaries to add a better VET backup behind TJ.

Long story short, although it appears you don't like TJ and are hoping that the staff will get a guy in the first day to replace him, it just isn't gonna happen that way.

They have 2 years into him trying to develop him into a NFL ready QB while on the field.
    They just aren't gonna pooh can him and go to another Rookie as our starter next year.

:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast