Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vikes4lyfe is offline Starter

Jets deal for Ramsey for 6th round pick

Hey Ramsey is not one of our choices for backup no more.

Finally completing a trade that had been rumored for weeks, the New York Jets on Friday afternoon acquired quarterback Patrick Ramsey from the Washington Redskins for a sixth-round choice in the 2006 draft, ESPN.com has learned.

Given the uncertainty over the availability of Chad Pennington, who is rehabilitating from a second rotator cuff surgery five months ago, the Jets considered a variety of options for bolstering their quarterback depth chart. As recently as earlier Friday, the Jets were still in discussions about a trade that would have brought them Falcons backup quarterback Matt Schaub in a deal that would have sent three-time Pro Bowl defensive end John Abraham to Atlanta.

The Jets and Falcons continued on Friday to explore other formulas for completing an Abraham trade.

Ramsey, the Redskins' first-round pick in the 2002 draft, but relegated to reserve status behind Mark Brunell for all but one game in '05, had been sought by several other teams as well. He met last week with Jets officials, including first-year head coach Eric Mangini, but also visited with Tampa Bay officials and was being pursued by Cincinnati. The Miami Dolphins and Detroit Lions also demonstrated interest.

A few weeks ago, Washington was said to be seeking a second- or third-round pick in return for Ramsey, but the Redskins subsequently reduced their asking price. The Jets, until Friday, has been offering a No. 7 draft choice for Ramsey.

New York coaches feel confident, after doing extended research on Ramsey, that he is a starting-caliber quarterback in the league. If Pennington is unable to play at the outset of the season, Ramsey likely will be the starter. The Jets could still use the fourth overall choice in the first round to select a quarterback, but adding Ramsey eliminates the urgency to do so and provides New York more flexibility in the lottery.

Ramsey, 27, has a 10-14 record as a starter. He has completed 480 of 861 passes for 5,649 yards with 34 touchdown passes, 29 interceptions and a 75.0 quarterback rating.

Re: JETS DEAL FOR RAMSEY FOR 6TH OVERALL PICK

MY BAD PEOPLE
    ITS A 66666666TH ROUND PICK

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

Can't you change the title of the thread?

That's blatant false advertising.

(EDIT: Thread title fixed post-post)

Prophet Guest

Are you really that excited over Ramsey getting traded and a 6th round draft pick? The caps almost blinded me.

I wonder what will happen to Pennington. I think he's signed through 2007.

how do you change it?

FuadFan is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Jets deal for Ramsey for 6th round pick

Between Ramsey and Pennington I think they may pass on one of the three QBs and take D'brickashaw or Mario Williams after they move Abraham.
    Minnesota Vikings : Simply the best

headtrip is offline Rookie

"Prophet" wrote:
    Are you really that excited over Ramsey getting traded and a 6th round draft pick? The caps almost blinded me.
    I probably would have used all caps too if I thought the Redskins got a top 10 overall draft pick for Patrick Ramsay. If that was the case, we could have gotten the entire starting defensive 11 of the Dolphins for an injured Culpepper.

Del Rio Guest

And the fall of Vince Young begins, as predicted.

Prophet Guest

"headtrip" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    I probably would have used all caps too if I thought the Redskins got a top 10 overall draft pick for Patrick Ramsay. If that was the case, we could have gotten the entire starting defensive 11 of the Dolphins for an injured Culpepper.
    :lol:

headtrip is offline Rookie

"Del Rio" wrote:
    And the fall of Vince Young begins, as predicted.
    Do you think he could fall like Aaron Rogers last year?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast