Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Jay Cutler at all costs?

Can we just see what happens with Daunte first? Our draft day strategy is going to be a lot different is Pep isn't with the team anymore.

I don't know how many times I have to say it. I have cheered Cutler on for four years now, but he has some very obvious flaws. He is being hyped simply because this is a weak QB draft and there is no one else to hype other than Young and Leinart. That being said, I think he will have success in the NFL.

From ESPN:
    "Jay Cutler took over as a starter as a redshirt freshman in 2002 and never relinquished the job. Despite being overmatched on almost a weekly basis in SEC play, Cutler found ways to keep his team in games. He lacks some polish and will need to work on his footwork, release mechanics and decision-making skills before he's ready to compete for a starting job in the NFL. However, he has a strong arm and adequate size, speed, and athletic ability. He is an experienced, competitive four-year starter who is finally getting the recognition he deserves.

Few players enter the Senior Bowl week with as much momentum as Cutler. If he can build on it with an impressive week-long performance, Cutler will solidify a spot in the first round of the 2006 draft. "

The best thing he has going for him right now is the close game against Florida and the big win over Tennessee. If he has a solid Senior Bowl and combine he might be a top ten pick. After watching him for four years I know for certain that he is playing the best football of his life right now. The question is whether that will continue, or if he is just hot at the perfect time draftwise.

I hate the whole "well he played hard teams with no help at all. He was Vanderbilt's only player" argument. For evey tough game Cutler kept us in or won, there was also a crappy performance. I remember us losing to MTSU and Furman at home vividly. Cutler did nothing in those games.

I will cheer for Cutler no matter where he goes in the draft or who he plays for, but I'm scared that he is being overhyped.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"VikingNed" wrote:
    "umaguma1979" wrote:
    I say trade up - did you see him play at Vanderbilt. Man - this guy with little around him upset many SEC marque calibut teams. He just has that that intangible that cannot be quantified and extremley intelligent.
    I've heard of Halibut, but Calibut? :lol:

Only joking friend, I'm known for a few typos myself..

I also think the kid has a great future ahead of him.......
    A few typos??? Who you kidding, Ned!!! :lol:

Cutler is not the one for us...we need to look beyond this year's draft and look to next year's crop if Daunte does indeed get drafted. I would rather draft big Marcus McNeil to solidify our RT spot then to draft Cutler and have him sit on the bench all season.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

collegeguyjeff is offline Hall of Famer

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "VikingNed" wrote:
    "umaguma1979" wrote:
    I say trade up - did you see him play at Vanderbilt. Man - this guy with little around him upset many SEC marque calibut teams. He just has that that intangible that cannot be quantified and extremley intelligent.
    I've heard of Halibut, but Calibut? :lol:

Only joking friend, I'm known for a few typos myself..

I also think the kid has a great future ahead of him.......
    A few typos??? Who you kidding, Ned!!! :lol:

Cutler is not the one for us...we need to look beyond this year's draft and look to next year's crop if Daunte does indeed get drafted. I would rather draft big Marcus McNeil to solidify our RT spot then to draft Cutler and have him sit on the bench all season.
    i agree with you but i don't want us to rely on a rookie starter.
    I don t buy Wisconsin cheese.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

"snowinapril" wrote:
    The scop on Jay is that he has a great arm, and accurate. His mechanics are in question. They can be worked out.

He throws ofhis back foot.

Saw him on the NFL channel yester day at the SR Bowl. Looked good
    Snow, I can't remember who exactly, but one of the announcers during the Steelers-Broncos game last weekend said this.

After a Rothlesburger pass for a TD in the endzone, he showed how Big Ben made the pass, by throwing it while on his back foot..

He said, to be a QB in the NFL, you have to know how to make those throws at times, and make them count..

Not a good habit, I'll admit, but sometimes in a presure situation, a nice throw to know...

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

Seriously, I was totally unimpressed by Cutler the last two years playing against LSU (A GOOD defense, something you should look to when comparing what he'll see from NFL teams compared to his surrounding cast).

We knocked him unconscious last year, and right out of the game... we knocked him out of the game this year, too. He didn't make good decisions, he didn't read the defense at all, and essentially did not look good at all...

May be I saw the wrong games, but youch, I spent the whole game trying to figure out what was so great about this guy....

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"ThorSPL" wrote:
    Seriously, I was totally unimpressed by Cutler the last two years playing against LSU (A GOOD defense, something you should look to when comparing what he'll see from NFL teams compared to his surrounding cast).

We knocked him unconscious last year, and right out of the game... we knocked him out of the game this year, too. He didn't make good decisions, he didn't read the defense at all, and essentially did not look good at all...

May be I saw the wrong games, but youch, I spent the whole game trying to figure out what was so great about this guy....
    That is exactly my point. People hear good things about him and read his scouting report and think he's awesome, but everyone who has seen him play live just getsa let downwhen compared to all the hype he creates. Vanderbilt's 4 game winning streak wasn't broken by some SEC powerhouse this year, it was stopped by MTSU. The next week we scored 6 points against LSU. He is a very streaky player. Great when hot, absolutely horrible when cold.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

NO Jay Cutler for me, please! Better to find the next Tom Brady further down in the draft...someone who makes plays with his smarts rather than his arm or legs...someone who directs the offense to TDs rather than throws INTs...someone who doesn't turn over the ball rather than giving the opposition prime field position by putting the ball on the ground.

Of course, all of this is contingent on whether or not Daunte gets traded!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

Hey, I've never seen the guy play. But as V-Unit said, if he's great when hot, absolutely horrible when cold, then he must be the second coming of Tommy Kramer...which in my opinion isn't all that much to get excited about. Tommy could be spectacular or horrific. I'd rather take my chances waiting for Culpepper to get healthy (even if he misses all of 2006) rather than taking a QB in the first round of the draft (unless Leinart falls to the Vikings, which won't happen). There are too many other needs and the Vikings are close to having enough talent to win NOW.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

NodakVike is offline Training Camp

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/features/seniorbowl/reports/north124.html

Later nodak

I don't know about him being better than Palmer coming into the league. Carson came into the NFL off a Heisman winning senior season, lead USC into the top 5, and dismantled a very good Iowa Hawkeyes team in the Orange Bowl. What has Cutler done to be rated higher??? I'm not ripping the guy, I just don't hear much about Vanderbilt, so he's sort of a question mark to alot of fans.
    I ll be dead and cold before I m green and gold

Thanks to PPE for sig

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast