Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Jared Odrick - Could he be the next PH like pick?

30. Minnesota Vikings -- Jared Odrick, DE/DT, Penn State:
    With talk of 37-year-old Pat Williams considering retirement, re-stocking at DT wouldn't be the worst idea in Minnesota. Jimmy Kennedy played well this year, but isn't the long term answer. Insert Odrick, a Penn State guy just liked Kennedy. The Big Ten's 2009 Defensive Player of the Year showed off his pass rush skills during his senior season with six sacks and held his own on run defense. He'll play either DT or DE at the next level. (AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster)
    NFL Mock Draft 1.0 (Vid included)

Penn State DT Jared Odrick: Penn State has little trouble reloading in the defensive front seven, but the Lions will be hard-pressed to find another Odrick in the middle of the defensive line. Odrick consistently commanded double- and triple-teams, opening up lanes for teammates to reach the backfield. Big Ten coaches named him Defensive Player of the Year and Defensive Lineman of the Year, high honors given the league's depth along the D-line. Odrick was the biggest reason why Penn State finished sixth nationally in rushing defense (89.9 ypg).
    Big Ten out of top 20 in Kiper's mock draft

Top 4 teams likely targeting Jared Odrick.
    Team # Drafts %
    Indianapolis Colts, Pick 32 11 32.4
    Minnesota Vikings, Pick 30 3 8.8
    Houston Texans, Pick 19 2 5.9
    New York Jets, Pick 29 2 5.9
    FFJungle

Three-year starter that is versatile enough to be a 4-3 tackle or a 3-4 end. A disruptive player that gets upfield pressure. Instinctive to diagnose play after controlling opponent. Quick to find the ball. Feels pressure and reacts on the move. Reacts to angles and combination blocks. Sudden first step quickness. Plays the run with stout inline strength. Quick to stack and shed. Uses the arm over move rushing the passer. Fights through blocks and is strong at the point of attack. Hustles to get in on play. Will finish pursuit. Gets his hands up as a pass rusher. Can push the pocket if he bends his knees and plays with leverage. Effective on twist stunts. Naturally strong. Usually double teamed. Thick lower body.
    Ourlads Scouting Report

The talent appears to be there. Question is, will they be able to overlook the DUI issue as they did the positive urinalysis (PH) or even JA's struggles with booze.

He seems to be an excellent fit in the middle and could even step out and play LDE if needed. That is a very nice asset that would bring alot of flexibility to how ole Leslie rotates his DL this year.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Moss81 is offline Waterboy

Re:Jared Odrick - Could he be the next PH like pick?

I don't think he faced a single team all season during running plays. From the highlights on youtube from Alodraft and Prodraftparty it looks like despite the consistant double teams, he was strong at the point of attack and could get decent pressure. It also appears like he missed his fair share of tackles for loss and was often ran out of the play. I think he could be a good defensive tackle, but not an elite one. Similar to Bunkley from the Eagles.

That being said, it's easy to get your own opinion on some players by checking out Prodraftparty(s) videos on youtube.
    None

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

I like this guy too as I have mentioned him before in one of my old posts. I would love to get him with our 1st round pick. I don't think that Odrick is a bad character guy, and talent wise, he's the best defensive tackle after the two you-know-who.

Some say that Dan Williams is better than Odrick, but I say that Dan's more of a safer choice, and does not have as much upside as Odrick. Odrick is a very versatile lineman, and I think he fits the 4-3 defense better than Dan Williams. Dan is all about run stopping and he can be compared to Pat Williams. On the other hand, Odrick can do it all and is more similar to Kevin Williams.

Dan will likely bring back the #1 rush defense tittle that we barely lost last season, but Odrick could do that AND make the #1 sack defense even better. I like the idea of drafting a player who's a perfect copy of Pat (even has his last name), but I'd rather see us picking Odrick if he's also on the board.

HEY
    Blog Entries

I like this guy too as I have mentioned him before in one of my old posts. I would love to get him with our 1st round pick. I don't think that Odrick is a bad character guy, and talent wise, he's the best defensive tackle after the two you-know-who.

Some say that Dan Williams is better than Odrick, but I say that Dan's more of a safer choice, and does not have as much upside as Odrick. Odrick is a very versatile lineman, and I think he fits the 4-3 defense better than Dan Williams. Dan is all about run stopping and he can be compared to Pat Williams. On the other hand, Odrick can do it all and is more similar to Kevin Williams.

Dan will likely bring back the #1 rush defense tittle that we barely lost last season, but Odrick could do that AND make the #1 sack defense even better. I like the idea of drafting a player who's a perfect copy of Pat (even has his last name), but I'd rather see us picking Odrick if he's also on the board.

HEY
    Blog Entries

Re:Jared Odrick - Could he be the next PH pick?

HEY
    Blog Entries

Dan Williams will most likely be the next-best option when the Vikings is on the board. Many fans want to keep the Williams Wall legacy alive, but Odrick ain't that bad. Instead of losing a Williams, we receive another Jared :lol:

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

HEY wrote:
    Dan Williams will most likely be the next-best option when the Vikings is on the board. Many fans want to keep the Williams Wall legacy alive, but Odrick ain't that bad. Instead of losing a Williams, we receive another Jared :lol:
    I'm not so sure Dan Williams gets to us at 30. Seen a few mocks that have him going as high as 17 to Titans.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Buffalo, Denver, Miami, San Fran, San Fran again, Pitt, Arizona, Dallas, San Diego... all run a 34 and could be in the market for a nose guard and with how hard they are to find I don't see Dan Williams making it to #30