Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    GALLY is offline Starter

Re: Jared Allen vs the picks we gave up

"MaxVike" wrote:
    This adds significant perspective and provides one hell of an argument for the trade.
    By my review, I see only four years which you could argue not to make the trade:

17. SEA - Steve Hutchinson OG
    73. JAC - Eric Westmoreland LB
    82. SEA - Heath Evans RB

17. ATL - Don Smith NT
    73. SD - Cliff Thrift LB
    82. SF - Joe Montana QB

17. MIN - Fred McNeil LB
    73. CIN - Evan Jolitz LB
    82. PIT - John Stallworth

17. OAK - Gene Upshaw OG
    73. PIT - Rocky Freitas OT
    82. NYG - Louis Thompson

The only year where more than one player made an impact (for a period of significant time) in the NFL is 1974.
    This also kinda points out the crap shoot that the draft is...

Good stuff, thanks for sharing.
    I might add 1997 with Jason Taylor and 1990 with Emmitt Smith as years that you probably don't make that trade........

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

I wonder about the long term affects this trade will have. In the final year of the contract Allen will have a cap hit of about 19million. So we have a 32 year old who with a lot of wear and tear on his body making that kind of money. That is cap space that could have been used to sign 3 or 4 starters at other positions. This one move kind of cancels out all the other good moves they made in the past as far as making sure that there is always cap room available going forward. So I think you have to look at not just who they didn't draft but who they will be unable to re-sign over the 6 years of the contract. You could really be talking about losing several key players to free agency down the road because all the cap space is tied up with one player. Just a thought.

All that said I think it was a great trade and have never been more excited for a vikings season.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    I wonder about the long term affects this trade will have. In the final year of the contract Allen will have a cap hit of about 19million. So we have a 32 year old who with a lot of wear and tear on his body making that kind of money. That is cap space that could have been used to sign 3 or 4 starters at other positions. This one move kind of cancels out all the other good moves they made in the past as far as making sure that there is always cap room available going forward. So I think you have to look at not just who they didn't draft but who they will be unable to re-sign over the 6 years of the contract. You could really be talking about losing several key players to free agency down the road because all the cap space is tied up with one player. Just a thought.

All that said I think it was a great trade and have never been more excited for a vikings season.
    That... or we'll have a 3-time Super Bowl Champion who is classy enough to reconfigure his contract to help out his team.

Did I mention that we're winning the '08 Super Bowl, '09 Super Bowl and '10 Super Bowl?
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Well, the way I see it, some folks may think "picks" are the most important thing there is. Here's one way to look at it: The Chiefs had the most 'Picks" out of everyone. The Vikes traded 3 picks for Allen. Who is going to have a better season? I would put my money on the "Vikes. But thats just me. ;D !/2 those guys (chiefs) won't even make it out of training camp.
    Tuco the world.....

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"Jereamiah" wrote:
    Well, the way I see it, some folks may think "picks" are the most important thing there is. Here's one way to look at it: The Chiefs had the most 'Picks" out of everyone. The Vikes traded 3 picks for Allen. Who is going to have a better season? I would put my money on the "Vikes. But thats just me. ;D !/2 those guys (chiefs) won't even make it out of training camp.
    That's another great point... how many guys from last year's draft did we cut?
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    I wonder about the long term affects this trade will have. In the final year of the contract Allen will have a cap hit of about 19million.
    How do you figure?

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/04/23/vikes-build-some-protection-into-allen-deal/

Allen’s base salaries for 2011, 2012, and 2013 and $8,979,438, $11,619,850, and $14,280,612, respectively.
    Where's the other $5 million?

Plus - keep in mind that in 2013, the NFL will be operating under a new CBA and with a salary cap (my own silly projection here - based on a $10 million bump/year between now and then - assuming they don't end up with uncapped years in 2010 and beyond) of somewhere around $160 million.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

"GALLY" wrote:
    "MaxVike" wrote:
    This adds significant perspective and provides one hell of an argument for the trade.
    By my review, I see only four years which you could argue not to make the trade:

17. SEA - Steve Hutchinson OG
    73. JAC - Eric Westmoreland LB
    82. SEA - Heath Evans RB

17. ATL - Don Smith NT
    73. SD - Cliff Thrift LB
    82. SF - Joe Montana QB

17. MIN - Fred McNeil LB
    73. CIN - Evan Jolitz LB
    82. PIT - John Stallworth

17. OAK - Gene Upshaw OG
    73. PIT - Rocky Freitas OT
    82. NYG - Louis Thompson

The only year where more than one player made an impact (for a period of significant time) in the NFL is 1974.
    This also kinda points out the crap shoot that the draft is...

Good stuff, thanks for sharing.
    I might add 1997 with Jason Taylor and 1990 with Emmitt Smith as years that you probably don't make that trade........
    Missed Emmitt...would make that trade then, but not now...we have Purple Jesus.
    Thought about 1997...passed; too much to give due to his age IMO.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer

"Zeus" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    I wonder about the long term affects this trade will have. In the final year of the contract Allen will have a cap hit of about 19million.
    How do you figure?

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/04/23/vikes-build-some-protection-into-allen-deal/

Allen’s base salaries for 2011, 2012, and 2013 and $8,979,438, $11,619,850, and $14,280,612, respectively.

Plus - keep in mind that in 2013, the NFL will be operating under a new CBA and with a salary cap (my own silly projection here - based on a $10 million bump/year between now and then - assuming they don't end up with uncapped years in 2010 and beyond) of somewhere around $160 million.

=Z=
    $14.2M for Salary + $2.58M for signing bonus ($15.5/6years) = $16.78m for CAP hit in his final year.

Keep in mind 2 things.

1). At the rate the NFL is going under the current CBA, the Salary Cap should increase another $30M or so over that time?
    So the cap hit is less severe for his contract.

B.) If they don't work pooh out there might not be a Salary Cap.
    :-\

edit: or read what Z wrote
    :P

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

I would have gave up our whole entire draft, all 7 rounds for Allen. Over and over again. He is the real deal, and will make our D a top 5 contender.

I agree the draft wasn't too special for us Viking fans...but I PROMISE come September the draft will be in the rear view. Lets focus on just how NASTY our D line is now.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"seaniemck7" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    How do you figure?

=Z=
    $14.2M for Salary + $2.58M for signing bonus ($15.5/6years) = $16.78m for CAP hit in his final year.

Keep in mind 2 things.

1). At the rate the NFL is going under the current CBA, the Salary Cap should increase another $30M or so over that time?
    So the cap hit is less severe for his contract.

B.) If they don't work pooh out there might not be a Salary Cap.
    :-\

edit: or read what Z wrote
    :P
    Either way, I'm pretty sure over the last half of the contract allen or the Vikes will Re-negotiate if they fall into a cap problem, which i doubt bc, we've been one of the best teams out there related to cap management...

With that said, he's worth every penny and if we continue to draft well and sign back key players, we're gonna be set regardless of who we loose in FA...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast