Thread: Jared Allen

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Jared Allen

I am going to say that I totally agree with a comment Marr made in a previous post and I was going to start this topic yesterday but since he stirred the coals already I thought i would throw a bit of kerosene on them.

He was brought in here to be a dominant pass rusher and we paid him the kind of money that teams pay to get a difference maker and not just a role player.IMHO that type of player finds ways to not get blocked and finds ways to change games at pivotal moments.

I absolutely believe that JA can be that type of player and in his first season many times he was. But last year too many times he looked like he was just going through the motions and collecting his pay check.I can't count how many times he was taken wide to the outside by an average OT one one one and left a big gap that the offense exploited. When he went inside he was shoved into another player and rendered useless.

To me he looked a bit heavier and a step slower than in 2009 and i am not sure if that was the case or not but I really would like to see him step up and take control of a game again the way I know he can.

Rant off.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Jared Allen

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1090987
    I am going to say that I totally agree with a comment Marr made in a previous post and I was going to start this topic yesterday but since he stirred the coals already I thought i would throw a bit of kerosene on them.

He was brought in here to be a dominant pass rusher and we paid him the kind of money that teams pay to get a difference maker and not just a role player.IMHO that type of player finds ways to not get blocked and finds ways to change games at pivotal moments.

I absolutely believe that JA can be that type of player and in his first season many times he was. But last year too many times he looked like he was just going through the motions and collecting his pay check.I can't count how many times he was taken wide to the outside by an average OT one one one and left a big gap that the offense exploited. When he went inside he was shoved into another player and rendered useless.

To me he looked a bit heavier and a step slower than in 2009 and i am not sure if that was the case or not but I really would like to see him step up and take control of a game again the way I know he can.

Rant off.
    All good points PF. I can't disagree with any of them. I don't want to lose Allen because he is that dominant player. If you want my personal opinion and I know this will cause some other debates or discussions buuuuut... I think part of the problem is not only the inconsistency from Allen but the inconsistency from the other side of the ball as well. IMO Edwards isn't as great as he or some may think he is and I believe with a lesser talented group Edwards doesn't do as well in the pass rush department.

Allen needs to step up as well but I think it's a variety of issues that I'll discuss as this goes on.

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

He definitely wasn't impressive last year at all. Not sure if it was a lack of motivation, bad play by the rest of our DL, or he just wasn't playing well. Either way, I'd really like him to step it up, and I hope that the rest of our DL follows suit.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Great idea for a rant/thread.

Couple of thoughts.......

1. Most fans are quick to throw BB under the bus for lack of production but very few, IMHO will take that same tact with JA.

2. I am going to reserve judgement on JA until we see him working for the new D-coord. He did come on last year.

Rationale, I'm not sure if he was allowed to make his own read and rush the QB or if he was being sent by the D-coord (Via the green dot MLB). Regardless of who is to blame, he sure got caught upfield rushing the QB on alot of running plays last year which severly impacted what our LB'rs and S's had to do.

I know that his production started to increase a bit last year when we saw Pagac take over. For now, I'm going to go on the assumption that he wasn't making those reads on his own.

3. Picks. If the staff is in full blown "Rebuild Mode" (which I think we aren't in) and the staff is looking for a prime candidate to get additional picks, JA seems to fit the bill. I for one wouldn't be to all fired upset if they did deal him away.

We could move Ray (or Rob) to a full time starter at RDE and plug Griff in at the LDE spot. For those that paid close attention, especially to the last 3 games, we saw alot of that going on.

Again, item 3 and all that followed is based on the staff going into rebuild mode. If they aren't, then JA stays.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

He was practically invisible statistically in the first half of the season. I remember him getting significant pressures in a lot of games, but not racking up the sacks.

However, it's unfair to judge a guy based on only half the year.

Weeks 9-17 he was that elite pass rusher we're paying him to be. 11 sacks in 9 games is scary. Not to mention 2 forced fumbles, 4 batted passes, and an INT returned for a touchdown.

This Pioneer Press article via Pro Sports Daily from October 15th says:
    "If he just had another half-second, or was just another half-step quicker, Vikings defensive end Jared Allen figures he could have a half-dozen sacks by now instead of just one.

"You could count four, five, six, maybe," Allen said after Thursday's practice. "Look at the Detroit game. I would have had two in the Miami game. That half-step, that half-second, is huge. Huge! There's always what ifs, but eventually it comes back. They seem to come in spurts."
    Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier defended Allen's lack of sacks this season, saying: "He's playing well. What's happening with Jared is that he's still in a lot of situations where there are backs chipping and tight ends to his side, and what it does is help other guys and helps our pass defense. Our pass defense is really improved primarily because of the type of blocks we're getting from offenses right now.

"He's going to have a bust-out game, and hopefully it will be this weekend. He's not a disappointment by any means, whether it's our run defense or pass defense. People pay a great deal of attention to him. We just have to get the other guys who are getting one-on-ones to step up and help us in those areas."
    I don't think the chipping back should effect him that much, a TE can though. Although I'm sure that's not the whole story. I think he had a busy offseason. With getting married, doing his USO stuff overseas, he missed a bunch of training camp with an injury.

I think he just came into the season a little rusty, probably overweight, generally just not 100% football ready. And by the season's midway point, he shook off that rust and weight and exploded.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

I think Allen stays. A big part of getting caught rushing the passer on rushing downs was teams calling more rushing plays. Teams noticed as our rush D declined and took advantage. In years past, they were throwing the ball at us 50 times a game because that was what worked. This season, our backup CBs were actually batting down balls, so more and more rush attempts came our way.

As far as his late production, probably a lil of both. Its likely, he was more in football shape, and getting a lil better read with Pagac/Frazier calling plays without Brad's input.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I am still of the opinion that he was blocked too easily on too many plays by OL that were not all that highly regarded. He did have a better second half of the season but Wilf pays him to play all 16 games and not just half of them.

To me what makes an exceptional DL is the ability to refuse to get blocked. There are guys like Doleman, Millard, Randal etc in our past who were of that mentality. You look at young guys like Matthews from GB and Suh from Detroit and they are examples of guys who just get to the QB and cause mayhem and JA has every bit the talent to stand right in there with them if he puts his mind to it. Obviously not every player I mentioned was a RDE but the point is still there. If you want elite money you need to make the plays that need to be made when they need to be made. Sacks in garbage time or in games where the outcome is not in question do not hold the same value.

Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Anderson" #1090994
    He was practically invisible statistically in the first half of the season. I remember him getting significant pressures in a lot of games, but not racking up the sacks.

However, it's unfair to judge a guy based on only half the year.

Weeks 9-17 he was that elite pass rusher we're paying him to be. 11 sacks in 9 games is scary. Not to mention 2 forced fumbles, 4 batted passes, and an INT returned for a touchdown.

This Pioneer Press article via Pro Sports Daily from October 15th says:
    "If he just had another half-second, or was just another half-step quicker, Vikings defensive end Jared Allen figures he could have a half-dozen sacks by now instead of just one.

"You could count four, five, six, maybe," Allen said after Thursday's practice. "Look at the Detroit game. I would have had two in the Miami game. That half-step, that half-second, is huge. Huge! There's always what ifs, but eventually it comes back. They seem to come in spurts."
    Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier defended Allen's lack of sacks this season, saying: "He's playing well. What's happening with Jared is that he's still in a lot of situations where there are backs chipping and tight ends to his side, and what it does is help other guys and helps our pass defense. Our pass defense is really improved primarily because of the type of blocks we're getting from offenses right now.

"He's going to have a bust-out game, and hopefully it will be this weekend. He's not a disappointment by any means, whether it's our run defense or pass defense. People pay a great deal of attention to him. We just have to get the other guys who are getting one-on-ones to step up and help us in those areas."
    I don't think the chipping back should effect him that much, a TE can though. Although I'm sure that's not the whole story. I think he had a busy offseason. With getting married, doing his USO stuff overseas, he missed a bunch of training camp with an injury.

I think he just came into the season a little rusty, probably overweight, generally just not 100% football ready. And by the season's midway point, he shook off that rust and weight and exploded.
    +1 Spot on post.

The only other thing I would add is that while with the Vikes, Allen has 40 of his 83 total sacks. While this is his 3rd lowest production year, I believe the factors listed above were primarily the reason for his lower production. I think that we will see the JA of old come August, if there is football.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Remember, he also got married, and chopped off the Mullet. Those things HAD to have had an effect on the first half.

Latter half, he was in full-on beast mode again.

Comparing JA to BB just isn't fair. BB has played poorly. JA started slow, then played like an animal posessed. His "Poor" season, was still an 11 sac, 2 int season.

Name the last Vikings lineman aside from KW to have that kind of production...

We get spoiled by having elite players, then when they have a down year, we say we should trade them.

Hold onto your hats, and wait and see how it goes.

If we got a great deal, I'd be open to trading him, but we shouldn't do it just for the sake of doing it.