Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

It's Their Plan, And They're Sticking To It (All Read this one)

[size=13pt]It's Their Plan, And They're Sticking To It[/size]

To those who question their free-agent signings — and there are plenty who do — the Vikings say they are making all the right moves.

BY SEAN JENSEN
    Pioneer Press

"Out of the four guys we targeted," Vikings vice president of player personnel Rick Spielman said, "we landed three."
    Spielman said Wade has "functional speed," and his reputation for dropping the ball is inaccurate.

"The issue he had in Chicago was muffed punts and fumbles after the punt," Spielman said. "It never had anything to do from the receiver standpoint. We (watched) all his catches in Tennessee, and he didn't have a drop."
    Spielman described Wade as the "next-best option" to Curtis, who apparently received an impressive offer from the Vikings.

"It won't be because of what we've done. It'll be the player's decision," Spielman said. "He'll see where is the best fit for him. We don't have control over that."
    There are much more interesting information in the article if you click the link.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Billy Boy is offline Hall of Famer

Re: It's Their Plan, And They're Sticking To It (All Read this one)

Dang I just got wet.
    Put all the rumors to rest I guess.

All the kids my age pee their pants, it's the coolest.

[size=11pt]Are we having fun yet?[/size]
    Saturday, March 10th, 2007 by Mark Craig (Startribune Blog)

Yes, the Vikings are boring us to tears. No, that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

While we wait for Kevin Curtis and his newly-crowned agents, Bruce and Ryan Tollner, to choose between the Eagles, Lions, Giants and Vikings, let’s review some of the free-agency nonsense that has taken place so far:

Leonard “Zero Pro Bowls” Davis gets $18.75 million guaranteed, including a $16 million signing bonus, in Dallas? And now they’re moving him to guard?

Dewayne “Zippo Pro Bowls” White gets five years, $29 million, including $13 million guaranteed – or nearly a cool mil per career sack — to leave Tampa for Detroit.

Guard Derrick Dockery gets the same deal from Buffalo — seven years, $49 million with $16 million guaranteed — that Steve Hutchinson got from the Vikings last year. And then guard Eric Steinbach gets an even sweeter deal — seven years, $49.5 million with $17 million in guarantees — from Cleveland. I could go on and on.

And if you don’t think the salary structure getting all out of whack won’t affect locker rooms down the road, see Lance Briggs in Chicago. He’s getting $7.2 million this year as the Bears’ franchise player, yet he’s ticked off and doesn’t want to play another down for them. Why? Because he knows Adalius Thomas got $20 million guaranteed from New England.

The Vikings aren’t the only team trying to maintain some form of common sense in a year in which too many teams are paying ”A-plus” money to “B-minus” players.

“I think some (teams) are sitting back and refusing to join in when it comes to overpaying players they don’t think are worth it,” Cardinals Vice President of Football Operations Rod Graves told reporters this week.

Teams must spent at least 85.2 percent of the $109 million salary cap. That’s about $92.9 million. The Vikings, like many other teams, seem to be targeting the minimum number, which, given the field of available players, isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Especially if next year’s crop of free agents turns out to be better.

I’m not convinced the Vikings know what they’re doing. But I wouldn’t butcher them because they chose not to give a Daniel Graham $30 million over six years, including $15 million in guarantees.

By the way the first article also mentioned our cap-space:

Wade is one of three NFL backups — along with tight end Visanthe Shiancoe and linebacker Vinny Ciurciu — the Vikings signed to relatively high-paying contracts during the first week of free agency. It has been a puzzling start for a 6-10 team that still is $27.8 million under the salary cap and could have afforded A-List players at A-Level salaries.

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

The problem is there haven't been any A-list calibre players on the Free Agency market this year. Adalius Thomas isn't a 4-3 player; Daniel Graham has never been a receiving threat at TE; the host of O-lineman available this year have, frankly, sucked it up since they entered the league and somehow managed to get PAID; and I don't know how Kevin Curtis has such a desired commodity since he's only ever been a slot receiver in a pass-happy offence.

I'd rather the Vikings sat on their money and went up in the draft or, Shock! Horror!, waited til next year to flash some cash.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

I do worry when I see things about the climate staedted at the end of the first article.
    I guess time will tell if in fact that is a reality.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

WileEViking is offline Rookie

Interesting comment from Speilman on trades."you never know what's going to happen" with regard to trades? Could something be up? It had better be,or they will look pretty foolish this year.Then again,how much worse could it get? ;D
    Still waiting for the drugs to kick in...

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

I'm in wait and see mode ... But I will say this, I will also be the first one to P-O-U-N-C-E if it all doesn't work out.

Spielman, I never liked signing him up.
    Studwell should have gotten his job.

Your bed is made boys once the season starts up for real and it doesn't sound like the fan base is happy ... You can say all you want about the fans not being on the inside, blah, blah, blah ... but the fact remains, You piss this upcoming season away and try to blame it on the youth/inexperience of the team ... Not gonna work.

Good luck in the draft Chilli and Spielman ... I hope your up late doing your homework, cause your gonna need to find at least 2 players to help contribute in a significant way when the season starts if you continue to drag your feet in F/A...

marcosMN is offline Star Spokesman

Last night I found myself with an unexpected feeling of relief.

I couldn't explain it at first, but then I realized what was up.

I have been unsure of all these backups that the Vikes were bringing in, but then I realized...

These are the guys that found Chester Taylor. And I know for a fact that I and some of my fellow PP.Oers here had our doubts about him going in to last season.

He's put our minds at ease regarding HB, to say the least.

Now I'm not saying that I wouldn't like to see us snag a Big name reciever, DE or both. What I am saying is even stars in this league had to back up someone at some point. Let's hope this FO can pick a gold nugget out of a glob of boogers.
    -Sno

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"cogitans" wrote:
    That is the first article I've read since FA began that gave a little bit of information that was at a more solid level than the ballboy's cousin's friend.
    If they targeted four and got three of the four and the only one they didn't get, yet, is Curtis, they are meeting their objectives well.
    Will it work, I have no idea.

..."Out of the four guys we targeted," Vikings vice president of player personnel Rick Spielman said, "we landed three."...

...The fourth is receiver Kevin Curtis...

..."Out of the receivers out there, what he brings to our offense, he does extremely well," Spielman said. "Sometimes, as you build this roster, it's our job to bring in players that fit the schemes that we're running. Maybe in another scheme, he doesn't fit as well."

Spielman described Wade as the "next-best option" to Curtis, who apparently received an impressive offer from the Vikings...
    Spielman still makes me nervous, but at least this article tells some of the rational behind the moves.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast