Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Insider Blog: Who's Out There - RBs

Chester Taylor (5-11, 213; age: 30) – Taylor seems to be generating the most interest of any free agent running back, at least from a national media perspective. People love the story of a superstar’s back-up ready to take on a feature role with a new team. Just take a look at current Atlanta RB Michael Turner.

The difference between Turner and Taylor, however, is age and experience. Many people tend to forget that there was life before Adrian Peterson in Minnesota and Taylor was the focal point of that rushing reality. In his only season as a full-time starter (2006), Taylor rushed for over 1,300 yards and averaged 4.0 yards per carry. That’s not bad, but it’s not eye-popping either.

Taylor will get his chance for a bigger role this offseason, and with Peterson’s fumbling problems coming to the spotlight in the playoffs, we’ve already seen a recent preview. He’ll probably find his way into a two-back system again, but extend his carries (he only had 94 in 2009). Don’t count out Minnesota for resigning him just yet either.

Vikings VP of Player Personnel Rick Spielman spoke to NFL.com on Sunday about Taylor: Spielman said it’s the Vikings “goal and intent” to re-sign unrestricted free-agent RB Chester Taylor.

“Chester Taylor brings so much to this football team,” Spielman said. “He’s like the unsung hero of the offense.”

Insider Blog: Who's Out There - RBs
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Re:Insider Blog: Who's Out There - RBs

I will be surprised if CT is not signed, although, I like what I have seen in both Young and Johnson and think either of them could fill the role respectfully for a much cheaper price.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Prophet wrote:
    I will be surprised if CT is not signed, although, I like what I have seen in both Young and Johnson and think either of them could fill the role respectfully for a much cheaper price.
    I am kindof lost when it comes to the role of money this year.

My guess is that they (the Ownership Group) will spend, but they will do is sparingly this year and I don't think CT will be part of that spending spree, regardless of what ole Ricky Boy said.

CT is looking for his last big cashout and will want to go to a contender. A team like SD would fit in all catagories and will probably out bid us by a sizeable amount.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Marrdro wrote:
    Prophet wrote:

My guess is that they (the Ownership Group) will spend, but they will do is sparingly this year and I don't think CT will be part of that spending spree, regardless of what ole Ricky Boy said.

CT is looking for his last big cashout and will want to go to a contender. A team like SD would fit in all catagories and will probably out bid us by a sizeable amount.
    Probably correct, tough to say about the money issues. You can rest easy though, the best in the business, Brzezinski, has a better handle on what is going on than probably anyone else in the NFL.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Prophet wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Prophet wrote:

Probably correct, tough to say about the money issues. You can rest easy though, the best in the business, Brzezinski, has a better handle on what is going on than probably anyone else in the NFL.
    Ole Bryzcheapski. Your right about that cat. He knows how to squeeze it doesn't he.

Problem is, in this new environment, the owner with the most cash will probably win. I suspect our owners are a bit up against it this year.

Marrdro wrote:
    Prophet wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Prophet wrote:

Ole Bryzcheapski. Your right about that cat. He knows how to squeeze it doesn't he.

Problem is, in this new environment, the owner with the most cash will probably win. I suspect our owners are a bit up against it this year.
    Even if it is an uncapped year, that condition won't persist. So if teams put out an exorbitant amount of money this year for someone they will bite it in the upcoming capped years. Brzezinski won't allow that to happen to the Vikings. I'm willing to bet that some of the bigger market teams will set themselves up for future salary cap hell if they get too carried away grabbing unrestricted free agents.

Prophet wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Prophet wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Prophet wrote:

Even if it is an uncapped year, that condition won't persist. So if teams put out an exorbitant amount of money this year for someone they will bite it in the upcoming capped years. Brzezinski won't allow that to happen to the Vikings. I'm willing to bet that some of the bigger market teams will set themselves up for future salary cap hell if they get too carried away grabbing unrestricted free agents.
    When was the last time I told you that you were wise beyond your years my friend?

Anyway, from what Ryan/Kirwan were saying the other day, there are only about 8 or 9 guys that teams will actively pursue in the FA market this year.

Even if you were a team that stepped out and tried to get all 8, I'm not so sure that you would get into that much of a problem.

As with teams that have cats like TJ or Edwards on thier teams, they are basically gonna get away with paying about 1/3 the going price for thier services this year.

Two things are gonna come of that......a) Players will be pissed and won't play hard.....b) Teams with those players will loose games as well as those players when this is all done.

Marrdro wrote:
    Prophet wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Prophet wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Prophet wrote:

When was the last time I told you that you were wise beyond your years my friend?

Anyway, from what Ryan/Kirwan were saying the other day, there are only about 8 or 9 guys that teams will actively pursue in the FA market this year.

Even if you were a team that stepped out and tried to get all 8, I'm not so sure that you would get into that much of a problem.

As with teams that have cats like TJ or Edwards on thier teams, they are basically gonna get away with paying about 1/3 the going price for thier services this year.

Two things are gonna come of that......a) Players will be pissed and won't play hard.....b) Teams with those players will loose games as well as those players when this is all done.
    Or, as is the case with Edwards and TJack, there are two players that have enormous potential, but, they may not be worth the previously going rate. The team gets a year on the cheap and if they perform they can ink them at the going rate the next year. Edwards has shown his psychotic tendencies and TJack is still a question mark. If either of them wants to play subpar because they aren't getting what they think they deserve, then, good luck getting a more lucrative deal in the future. Neither are in the position to rest on their laurels.

Prophet wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Prophet wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Prophet wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Prophet wrote:

Or, as is the case with Edwards and TJack, there are two players that have enormous potential, but, they may not be worth the previously going rate. The team gets a year on the cheap and if they perform they can ink them at the going rate the next year. Edwards has shown his psychotic tendencies and TJack is still a question mark. If either of them wants to play subpar because they aren't getting what they think they deserve, then, good luck getting a more lucrative deal in the future. Neither are in the position to rest on their laurels.
    A interesting view. Problem is there is another view...

Ray.....Coming off his first contract. Has shown nothing but improvement his whole career. Garnered 8.5 sacks in the regular season and then came on like gangbusters in the second season with 4 sacks and a butt load of QB pressures and great plays in the running game area.

TJ.....Not so much in what he has done, but what he hasn't done. He continues to get better. Has proven he can come off the bench and win. Additionally, he seems to handle all kinds of off the field crap with a touch of class. Add in the mix that there is a weak FA crop of QB's out there. Wouldn't be out of the question to see him get a bit of atttention from other teams that are really desparate for QB help.

Marrdro wrote:
    Prophet wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Prophet wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Prophet wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Prophet wrote:

A interesting view. Problem is there is another view...

Ray.....Coming off his first contract. Has shown nothing but improvement his whole career. Garnered 8.5 sacks in the regular season and then came on like gangbusters in the second season with 4 sacks and a butt load of QB pressures and great plays in the running game area.

TJ.....Not so much in what he has done, but what he hasn't done. He continues to get better. Has proven he can come off the bench and win. Additionally, he seems to handle all kinds of off the field crap with a touch of class. Add in the mix that there is a weak FA crop of QB's out there. Wouldn't be out of the question to see him get a bit of atttention from other teams that are really desparate for QB help.
    Yes, there's that side too. I just have a difficult time feeling sorry for someone that gets paid millions to play a game and then complains about it. Really tough time. If someone is whining about that then I say walk the plank, pick up someone else that is willing to play with heart. That's my bias.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast