Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Nebvikefan is offline Rookie

Re: If our pick comes up at 17 and Matt Ryan and Derrick Harvey are long gone..

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "Nebvikefan" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Until someone shows me a medical report that shows that Merling won't play next year, he is still the man at 17 if he gets that far.

In fact if Harvey and Merling and Ryann were sitting there I would still take Merling.

Exceptional talent at LDE and fixes our biggest need.
    I don't know why everyone likes Merling.
    He had one of the worst bench presses number of all the DE's.
    I am not sure what the number is but it was something like 18.
    How is he going to push around 350 lbs lineman when he can only do 18 reps of 225lbs?
    I am 170lbs and 5'6" and i am pretty sure i can push up 18 reps of 225lbs!!!!
    lol.

He doesn't have the pass rush moves the harvey and the others do or the speed to get around the corner.
    IMO Merling would only be a good pick if he falls to the vikes in the 2nd round.
    I would NEVER advise the vikes to take him at 17th overall.
    I really hope i am wrong about him if the vikes to take him but that is just my opinions
    I don't think you can, It has to be perfect form. No bouncing off the chest or anything like that. Most of my 5 reps won't count.
    I can do 15 perfect ones for sure!!!
    Still that isn't too far off of Merlings reps.
    Ha ha
    "If you need two yards, I'll get you three.
    If you need five yards, I'll get you three.
    "-Leroy Hoard

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Nebvikefan" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Until someone shows me a medical report that shows that Merling won't play next year, he is still the man at 17 if he gets that far.

In fact if Harvey and Merling and Ryann were sitting there I would still take Merling.

Exceptional talent at LDE and fixes our biggest need.
    I don't know why everyone likes Merling.
    He had one of the worst bench presses number of all the DE's.
    I am not sure what the number is but it was something like 18.
    How is he going to push around 350 lbs lineman when he can only do 18 reps of 225lbs?
    I am 170lbs and 5'6" and i am pretty sure i can push up 18 reps of 225lbs!!!!
    lol.

He doesn't have the pass rush moves the harvey and the others do or the speed to get around the corner.
    IMO Merling would only be a good pick if he falls to the vikes in the 2nd round.
    I would NEVER advise the vikes to take him at 17th overall.
    I really hope i am wrong about him if the vikes to take him but that is just my opinions
    I think you are confusing Merling and Campbell.
    Merling didn't lift at the combine.

6. * Phillip Merling, 6-5, 270, Clemson
    A big, mobile end, Merling has been a force in the ACC over the past three seasons and improves a good class of edge pass rushers. His pro day is critical after he did not work out at the Combine due to a hamstring problem.
    http://nfldraft.rivals.com/content.a...164&CID=769983

I like that he can play both ends as well as the middle.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Chazz is offline Coordinator

With the way things have been completely changed, I have no idea which way they will go. I could see Merling, even with the hernia its not really a reach. The question is will they look for Udeze's replacement this year or wait until next year to see if Udeze will make it back. I think if they expect Udeze to be back and playing football they wont address LDE except with a band aid; late round pick. I could see Ryan if he fell to 17. Kelly or Sweed would not suprise me. We could take Pillips. Ketawan Balmer I would like to see wearing Purple.

jkjuggalo is offline Star Spokesman

I think you all know that I would choose Brian Brohm.
    I feel it would be the smartest pick for the future of this franchise...you can check out my many other posts in other threads to see all the reasons why, but mainly it gives us a backup plan if TJack indeed sucks as bad as everyone else thinks.
    If TJack turns out to be the man, then we can trade Brohm for a high pick or a good veteran player.
    Rock out with your cock out!!!

I feel it would be the smartest pick for the future of this franchise...yo u can check out my many other posts in other threads to see all the reasons why, but mainly it gives us a backup plan if TJack indeed sucks as bad as everyone else thinks.
    If TJack turns out to be the man, then we can trade Brohm for a high pick or a good veteran player.

Brohm will still be there for our 2nd pick and if we took him there I wouldn't be upset about it.

jkjuggalo is offline Star Spokesman

"Chazz" wrote:
    I feel it would be the smartest pick for the future of this franchise...yo u can check out my many other posts in other threads to see all the reasons why, but mainly it gives us a backup plan if TJack indeed sucks as bad as everyone else thinks.

Brohm will still be there for our 2nd pick and if we took him there I wouldn't be upset about it.
    Do you really think that the Dolphins, Falcons, Ravens, Panthers, and maybe even the Rams would pass on Brohm in the 2nd?
    I don't.
    There is also the possibility that someone would trade ahead of us and take him too.
    Brohm is a first round talent.
    He had a better season statistically last year than he had the rest of his career, and he was already considered a first round talent if he came out as a junior.
    If all 32 teams (31 cuz of Spygate) pass on him in the first, I would be extremely surprised.
    Rock out with your cock out!!!

mewario is offline Starter

"Chazz" wrote:

Yeah, no way Brohm falls to us in the 2nd round, if anything someone will have to trade into the end of the 1st round to get him.

APAD is offline Rookie

I think we take the BPA.
    If Harvey is gone then I really hope the Vikes don't reach and take a DE in the first round.
    If the past is any indication DE in the later first round do not usually pan out (we have two on our team alone!!) I think the BPA at 17 could likely end up being Sweed or Brohm.
    I would be more happy with Sweed because I am not sold on BB and think we need as much WR help as we can get.
    Furthermore, Brohm could have good trade value if TJ pans out (knock on wood) or could step in if he doesn't.
    Devin Thomas is not 1st round material, IMWBO (in my water boy opinion).
    Sweed has better size and decent speed that could make him a better fit.
    T his draft is gonna be very interesting and I hate talking about it cuz I still have a month more of speculation.
    Oh well, good times.

APAD

BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni

Frankly, I have no idea who I would "like" the Vikings to pick.
    I wouldn't be upset if we picked Merling - provided that Harvey isn't still available.
    I wouldn't go nearly as far as Marrdro in picking him over Harvey.
    This defense needs a pass rusher more than it needs a run stuffer - we HAVE linebackers and interior linemen.
    It's not like we'd be putting a cornerback in there at left end, either.

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

Do you really think that the Dolphins, Falcons, Ravens, Panthers, and maybe even the Rams would pass on Brohm in the 2nd?
    I don't.
    There is also the possibility that someone would trade ahead of us and take him too.
    Brohm is a first round talent.
    He had a better season statistically last year than he had the rest of his career, and he was already considered a first round talent if he came out as a junior.
    If all 32 teams (31 cuz of Spygate) pass on him in the first, I would be extremely surprised.

I wouldn't be suprised at all. Flacco and Henne are now ranked above him in most cases. Brady Quinn was for 2 years considered the obvious number one pick in the draft and NFL ready. Dolphins drafted Beck last year; Panthers don't need a QB; Ravens took Troy Smith, but arn't too invested in him; Falcon's have holes at every position.
    As of now, I would be suprised if Brohm isnt there for are 2nd pick.
    If they really like what they see in Brohm then we have plenty of draft picks to move up and get him in the 2nd.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast