Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: i think our WR situation is not gonna change much this offseason

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "seaniemck7" wrote:
    As of yesterday (I think), Mel Kiper still has Ginn going to the Vikes at No. 7.
    If we take him there, I think I might go postal.
    Not really sure how/why he has the credibility he has.
    I have only been interested in the "Draft" thing for the last 5 years and don't have all the past years statistics for how well he does with respect to "getting it right" however, the way he does it I believe is to put people/players in positions that he feels (based on his opinion/scouting) are the best for what the team needs.

In most cases he has been wrong and not right.
    Longwinded way of saying, I wouldn't put much credibility into what Kiper says.

Additionally, we don't have much history into what B-Chil is going to do but we can take a look at what he did last year:

a.
    Overall draft was pretty good.
    b.
    He did make some moves to get somebody he thought he needed (TJ).
    c.
    He drafted by need and not BPA.
    d.
    He tried to move up to get at least one of the top 3 QB's last year. (I think TJ was his second option on the board).

I think they will try to go up and get CJ just like they tried to move up and get a QB, but won't do it if the team they are working with wants to much.

Damn Marrdro!
    How dare you inject logic and common sense in to a discussion about the Viking's draft strategy. ;D

I think you hit the nail on the head.
    He will try and make a move and get CJ, but at his price, not theirs.
    If it works, good.
    If not, he will have a back up plan (probably trading down and still picking up Jarrett). Very good observations about Childress in the last draft BTW.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "seaniemck7" wrote:
    As of yesterday (I think), Mel Kiper still has Ginn going to the Vikes at No. 7.
    I have only been interested in the "Draft" thing for the last 5 years and don't have all the past years statistics for how well he does with respect to "getting it right" however, the way he does it I believe is to put people/players in positions that he feels (based on his opinion/scouting) are the best for what the team needs.

Additionally, we don't have much history into what B-Chil is going to do but we can take a look at what he did last year:

a.
    b.
    c.
    d.
    He tried to move up to get at least one of the top 3 QB's last year. (I think TJ was his second option on the board).

I think they will try to go up and get CJ just like they tried to move up and get a QB, but won't do it if the team they are working with wants to much.

gol 'darnit Marrdro!
    How dare you inject logic and common sense in to a discussion about the Viking's draft strategy. ;D

If it works, good.
    If not, he will have a back up plan (probably trading down and still picking up Jarrett). Very good observations about Childress in the last draft BTW.
    Thanks NODAK..... Glad you didn't leave the sinking ship with Del.
    I will miss him.
    A few of you are the only reason I still visit and yes, provide limited posts.

(should have put that in the Del is Dead thread).
    Hope he is lurking and comes back.
    :'(
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

How come no one can get an accurate cap room number. This is one I just found from ask the commish which is accurate as of January 3rd?

http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/numbers.asp

This has us with 31 mil in cap space before cuts. WTF?

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    How come no one can get an accurate cap room number. This is one I just found from ask the commish which is accurate as of January 3rd?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...ohn&id=2758756

It differs from site to site.
    I think askthecommish cap of 31 mil is doesn't take into account the players we resigned before the end of the season as well as some of the incentives (couldn't have been many
    ;D) that might have been met by players had in thier contracts.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:

That one did not (I believe) take into account the new contracts for EJ, McKinnie and KWill.
    The latest I can find (which I posted someplace last week) is from ESPN's John Clayton which shows the Vikings at $12.2 million.
    That was through 2/9.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "seaniemck7" wrote:

a.
    b.
    c.
    d.

gol 'darnit Marrdro!

If it works, good.
    One of my favorite days in all of sports is NFL draft day.
    I too have only been paying attention to it for about 4-5 years, but I look forward to moreso than the super bowl.

I think Marrd's Kiper assesment is right on, and I generally applaud Mel's dedication to scouting pro talent.
    He was doing draft mocks long before it was popular.

As far a Ginn goes... I guess I could have elaborated.
    Flat out #7 is too high for him.
    Personally I think he is a cream puff and will not be what we need in our receiving core which is a true #1. Could he develop into one?
    maybe.
    But that is not the kind of risk I want to take (again) with our #7 overall pick.

"seaniemck7" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "seaniemck7" wrote:

a.
    b.
    c.
    d.

gol 'darnit Marrdro!

If it works, good.
    I too have only been paying attention to it for about 4-5 years, but I look forward to moreso than the super bowl.

I think Marrd's Kiper assesment is right on, and I generally applaud Mel's dedication to scouting pro talent.
    He was doing draft mocks long before it was popular.

As far a Ginn goes... I guess I could have elaborated.
    Flat out #7 is too high for him.
    Personally I think he is a cream puff and will not be what we need in our receiving core which is a true #1. Could he develop into one?
    maybe.
    But that is not the kind of risk I want to take (again) with our #7 overall pick.
    Agree.
    Just read an article on another site that says he will only step on the scales/take the wonderlic etc but won't run cause his ankle is still dinged.

Hate to admit it, but I watch the whole Darn thing.
    Spread sheets, magazines and mock draft in front of me.

My mother and father in law (who snowbird in Fl) stop by VA on thier way home and spend a month or two and she thinks I am absolutely nuts ;D

Blog Entries

"seaniemck7" wrote:
    So are you planning on going to the Vikings Draft Party at Winter Park this year?
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

vike_mike is offline Pro-Bowler

Why is it that most everyone here is overlooking Sydney Rice?
    After this weekends combine, Rice's numbers will be there ahead of Jarrett's in the end and we will take him at #7 if we can't trade up.
    We are going to talk about this until draft day.
    He is worth a #7 pick.
    It is coming.
    I have heard though that Tampa Bay is willing to trade down with someone not to take the 3rd pick.
    We might want to explore that.

Blog Entries

"vike_mike" wrote:
    Why is it that most everyone here is overlooking Sydney Rice?
    After this weekends combine, Rice's numbers will be there ahead of Jarrett's in the end and we will take him at #7 if we can't trade up.
    We are going to talk about this until draft day.
    He is worth a #7 pick.
    It is coming.
    I have heard though that Tampa Bay is willing to trade down with someone not to take the 3rd pick.
    We might want to explore that.
    I don't think anyone is discounting Rice, but there is no way that he is a #7 pick.
    He could have the greatest combine in the world, and he won't go that high.
    I am actually hoping he does just about as expected at the combine, because I have him going to the Vikings in the early second round.

The problem with Rice is that he is very raw.
    He will not be an impact player in 2007, and that is what the Vikings need at the WR spot, whether through draft or FA.
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast