Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: I think I'll like this brand of football

"punisher" wrote:
    I like how Childress and the Vikings appear to be building this team. It looks like they're trying to build this offense into an absolutely punishing machine. Nothing seemed more stressful to me than playing those old Ditka Bears when they would just pound the ball for those long 8-10 minute drives and we would have the ball for like 3 minutes a quarter. After years of the quick strike, I'm ready for a physically dominating smack mouth team. I thought Tice was going to bring that, but it just never happened. I also believe we're headed that way on defense. A potentially dominating front four, a very, very solid defensive back group and maybe some increased intellect with the linebackers.

Skoal!
    We'll still need a quick strike team. Ball control & 8-10 minute drives are great, but when you have less than 2 minutes & 80 yards to go, you'd better have an offense that can do that.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

TheAnimal93 is offline Team Alumni

"singersp" wrote:
    We'll still need a quick strike team. Ball control & 8-10 minute drives are great, but when you have less than 2 minutes & 80 yards to go, you'd better have an offense that can do that.
    I think we can do that as well. My hope is that there wont be too many of those games to win or lose. Brad can lead a two minute offense as long as he has some seconds to look for the open receiver.

jmmcgorman is offline Rookie

"jkjuggalo" wrote:
    Also I am not sold on our new offensive line. Hutch is just one man and Birk has not played recently. We can all hope that the Vikings have some big moves up their sleeves, otherwise I don't see them getting past the first round.
    I have to disagree with this statement, Bryant McKinnie at left tackle, Hutchinson at Left Guard, Matt Birk 4 time pro bowler injury or not, Lewiensky or marcus johnson at right guard and Mike Rosenthal at Right Tackle.

Remember minus hutch and johnson, this was the same line to protect the vikes offense in 2004 when we were a top 5 rated offense, adding hutch will only help improve that line.

Prophet Guest

I can see it now. Sipping on a beer, enjoying the game, eating a few hot wings...I think I'll have to buy a portable can because the drives will last so damn long that I won't be able to hold it that long.

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

As much as I loved those 40, 50 and 60 yard bombs that have marked MANY of the Vikings TD's over the past 8 years, I'll be really looking forward to many 1st-and-4, 1st-and-3, 1st-and-5 opportunties brought about thanks to methodical drives that take up 6 minutes and take 10 plays or more.

Remember boys and girls, the longer we hold onto the ball, the less likely we'll get stung in the final few minutes.. (Remembers the Colts game in 2004 all too well).

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "punisher" wrote:
    I like how Childress and the Vikings appear to be building this team. It looks like they're trying to build this offense into an absolutely punishing machine. Nothing seemed more stressful to me than playing those old Ditka Bears when they would just pound the ball for those long 8-10 minute drives and we would have the ball for like 3 minutes a quarter. After years of the quick strike, I'm ready for a physically dominating smack mouth team. I thought Tice was going to bring that, but it just never happened. I also believe we're headed that way on defense. A potentially dominating front four, a very, very solid defensive back group and maybe some increased intellect with the linebackers.

Skoal!
    I think we will be a bit more quick strike than people think right now. KRob and TWill have the ability to go deep and the left side of our line has the potential to produce HUGE holes for Richardson to run through so he can take out that last guy as Taylor zips by!!!!!!!
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

We've had a quick strike, big play offense for about 7 or 8 seasons now, and I think it's time for a change. I'm definately looking forward to having a good running game and a defense with some teeth!

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"DaunteHOF" wrote:
    are we da bears now?

With more class!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"V-Unit" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "punisher" wrote:

Skoal!
    I think we will be a bit more quick strike than people think right now. KRob and TWill have the ability to go deep and the left side of our line has the potential to produce HUGE holes for Richardson to run through so he can take out that last guy as Taylor zips by!!!!!!!
    I'm thinking you're probably right that we'll still have the big plays. The difference now is that they'll actually be set up! I always felt that under Tice we never set our plays up, and I hardly ever remember us using play action. Hopefully things will be different under Childress.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"ltrey33" wrote:
    "V-Unit" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "punisher" wrote:

Skoal!
    I'm thinking you're probably right that we'll still have the big plays. The difference now is that they'll actually be set up! I always felt that under Tice we never set our plays up, and I hardly ever remember us using play action. Hopefully things will be different under Childress.
    Yep, of all the moves, the new coach will definetly have the most profound effect.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123