Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

I Take A Shot At Your Questions

I Take A Shot At Your Questions

Some really good questions and some pretty decent insight into some of his answers.

B. Grant asked: Given the fact that several new coaches make up the offensive braintrust, what do you know about any of them that might tell us what to look for in the offense of the 2011 Vikings?

Adam Says: This is an excellent question. I would say that new offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave’s time in Atlanta was entertaining. He was able to get an offensive line with no true superstars to play cohesively and rather consistently. Add that to his tendency to utilize high percentage plays to tight ends and running backs, and I think he is a guy that the Vikings can trust with their new young quarterback(s).

By adding running backs coach James Saxon, quarterbacks coach Craig Johnson, and offensive line coach Jeff Davidson, Leslie Frazier has essentially opted for guys that command plenty of respect from their players and have the experience to each contribute uniquely.

The team has yet to publicly give a solid indication as to which direction the offense is headed, but if I had to guess, I would say we’ll be able to describe it as “hard-nosed” and “smash mouth.”
    For the life of me I struggle with the one article I posted last week were they staff said they didn't know what scheme they wanted to run or with the rationale that the scheme is going to drastically change at all based on the coaches, players and the shortened timeframe to install anything new.

Long story short, this guy agrees, gonna see alot of 22 sets with AD hitting it often and hard.

Tomb asked: 3-4 D. Why not?

Adam Says: For starters, I really don’t think it would happen under Frazier because he is a 4-3 guy. Second, only the Texans are stupid enough to make that transition in a lockout year (they’ll be awful on defense again next year, mark my words).

In the future, though, I see no reason not to eventually make that transition if the opportunity is there.
    Another great question with a even greater answer. As with the offense, I just don't see much changing in the way of our defense and its scheme. Only real change I anticipate is the continued use of the CB's tighter on the line like we saw when Pagac took over play calling duties, especially if my man Griff can get back healthy.

Lets not forget who he faced, and shut down, when he was last on the field for a long spell.

Luke Asked: Why do hot dog buns come in packs of 8 and hot dogs come in packs of 10? I just don’t get it. Please help.

Adam Says: I’m going with the theory that bakers just don’t know how to count. I mean a “baker’s dozen.” What the heck is that crap?
    Damn fine question. I for one, stuff the extra dogs into one bun. Kindof a double burger (double dog) kindof thing.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: I Take A Shot At Your Questions

Krugjr Asked: Would you, under any circumstances, trade AD?

Adam Says: Yes. I like Peterson as much as the next Minnesotan, but he is going to eat up a huge amount of the cap from here on out and decent running backs are a dime a dozen. Peterson is obviously much more than “decent,” but you can win Super Bowls with a mediocre running game these days (see: Packers, Colts, etc.) and the Vikings have a lot of needs. If I were in the Vikings front office, I would entertain offers for any player, including Peterson.
    I think this is a fair question and with a good answer as well as I do think it is one of the easier positions to fill on a roster. In this day and age no player is indispensable if you can turn him into multiple picks and/or players. The trick for the team dealing him is to then turn said picks/players into a positive change to the team. As said above you can win with a medoicre running game but having an elite RB is no guarantee of success - as both us and the Titans are currently proving.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Tis is a great post Marr and it gets to the foundation of how the team will be built, rebuilt or modified.

A)
    If, as Marty believes, we will be running an offense that is similar to what we ran under Childress and if the terminology will remain what it was under Childress then as much as I hate to say it ( And it would in many ways bother me more than when we brought in Brett) I think that our BEST chance for success this year and probably for next year is to go after McNabb at QB if he gets released by the skins and if he agrees to a more realistic salary.

He has always been at the bottom of my favorite QB list right there with Brett and I have always had a deep seated fear that some day he would end up a Viking but I am actually leaning towards accepting it if they feel they can retool a few positions VS rebuilding and if they can find the developmental QB in the draft in the 2nd round who can take over in a few years (Stanzi). I think Webb would also benefit by having McNabb there for a few years and it could end up that he would be our guy down the road and if nothing else they can find ways to work him into the offense.

Now, if that is the road we go down then if I were in the FO I would make 2 calls.
    1- To the Dallas Cowboys to see what they would give up to get AP. He is from the area and would probably love to go home. He would take pressure off of Romo and he is an absolutely perfect fit for their offense. I would not be surprised to see him get 2000 yds in the cowboys offense.

In return for that if we could get high draft picks and players to help fill a few holes in the roster we would be a much better balanced team.

2- I would call Chester Taylor and get him back on the team. He has proven that he can produce in the old offense and he is more complete than AP although he isn't as much of a homerun hitter but we could compensate for that with more opportunities for Harvin, Shank and Co.

B)

If we are in the rebuild mode or if we are retooling to an offense that is different not only strategically but also in terminology then we need to look at what is best in the long term and that might be a sacrifice in wins for a year or two while we change out the roster, get rid of some of the age, and bring in younger talent that eat up less cap room. And if that offense will be built around #28 then obviously we keep him and start to look at what kind of players we need to put around him and what defensive philosophy we need to have.

If the offense is built around ball control and running with a vertical passing attack we are going to need to beef up the Center, add one field stretching WR and figure out what QB can get the job done for us. Heck, Jackson might even be an option in that kind of offense if he can stay healthy. But I would look to a guy like Mallett who can throw as good a deep ball as anyone and put him behind a great OL.

In the defense I would put a high priority on getting a few CB's who can handle a WR one on one in press coverage and i would look at moving Brinkley over to take the spot Leber has had as he is more athletic and we will need that. Then I would make sure we have hard hitting safeties who can also cover as we are going to see teams try to spread us out and we will need to take them away. Stopping the run is less of an issue right now because our division is built around passing and that is priority one. We cannot get into a shootout if we are built to run so we need to stop the passing teams and turn them into running teams, which will plat to our strength.

Good find Marty.

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "AngloVike" #1092992

Adam Says: Yes. I like Peterson as much as the next Minnesotan, but he is going to eat up a huge amount of the cap from here on out and decent running backs are a dime a dozen. Peterson is obviously much more than “decent,” but you can win Super Bowls with a mediocre running game these days (see: Packers, Colts, etc.) and the Vikings have a lot of needs. If I were in the Vikings front office, I would entertain offers for any player, including Peterson.
    I think this is a fair question and with a good answer as well as I do think it is one of the easier positions to fill on a roster. In this day and age no player is indispensable if you can turn him into multiple picks and/or players. The trick for the team dealing him is to then turn said picks/players into a positive change to the team. As said above you can win with a medoicre running game but having an elite RB is no guarantee of success - as both us and the Titans are currently proving.
    And yet I get blasted for starting a thread about trading him.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "12purplepride28" #1093007

Not by me.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

well in this day and age any player can be traded and I'm afraid AP is no exception. I'd still be pissed if we did trade him however if we come out of it as a better team then I'd soon get over it.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

From a "Football" standpoint, I agree. We should be able to deal him for picks.

Problem is, the Vikes biggest problem right now is a "Public Relations" issue. Dealing a fan favorite would probably be the death nail for this team.

For the life of me I can't figure out why they haven't inked him to a new deal prior to the labor issues blowing up.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

LOL, not by me you didn't.

In the end, all topics are worthy of discussion, atleast with me they are. The ones who hack on you for it, well, just ignore them. They are here only to get your wheaties soggy without the use of milk.

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1092996
    Tis is a great post Marr and it gets to the foundation of how the team will be built, rebuilt or modified.

A)
    If, as Marty believes, we will be running an offense that is similar to what we ran under Childress and if the terminology will remain what it was under Childress then as much as I hate to say it ( And it would in many ways bother me more than when we brought in Brett) I think that our BEST chance for success this year and probably for next year is to go after McNabb at QB if he gets released by the skins and if he agrees to a more realistic salary.

He has always been at the bottom of my favorite QB list right there with Brett and I have always had a deep seated fear that some day he would end up a Viking but I am actually leaning towards accepting it if they feel they can retool a few positions VS rebuilding and if they can find the developmental QB in the draft in the 2nd round who can take over in a few years (Stanzi). I think Webb would also benefit by having McNabb there for a few years and it could end up that he would be our guy down the road and if nothing else they can find ways to work him into the offense.

Now, if that is the road we go down then if I were in the FO I would make 2 calls.
    1- To the Dallas Cowboys to see what they would give up to get AP. He is from the area and would probably love to go home. He would take pressure off of Romo and he is an absolutely perfect fit for their offense. I would not be surprised to see him get 2000 yds in the cowboys offense.

In return for that if we could get high draft picks and players to help fill a few holes in the roster we would be a much better balanced team.

2- I would call Chester Taylor and get him back on the team. He has proven that he can produce in the old offense and he is more complete than AP although he isn't as much of a homerun hitter but we could compensate for that with more opportunities for Harvin, Shank and Co.

B)

If we are in the rebuild mode or if we are retooling to an offense that is different not only strategically but also in terminology then we need to look at what is best in the long term and that might be a sacrifice in wins for a year or two while we change out the roster, get rid of some of the age, and bring in younger talent that eat up less cap room. And if that offense will be built around #28 then obviously we keep him and start to look at what kind of players we need to put around him and what defensive philosophy we need to have.

If the offense is built around ball control and running with a vertical passing attack we are going to need to beef up the Center, add one field stretching WR and figure out what QB can get the job done for us. Heck, Jackson might even be an option in that kind of offense if he can stay healthy. But I would look to a guy like Mallett who can throw as good a deep ball as anyone and put him behind a great OL.

In the defense I would put a high priority on getting a few CB's who can handle a WR one on one in press coverage and i would look at moving Brinkley over to take the spot Leber has had as he is more athletic and we will need that. Then I would make sure we have hard hitting safeties who can also cover as we are going to see teams try to spread us out and we will need to take them away. Stopping the run is less of an issue right now because our division is built around passing and that is priority one. We cannot get into a shootout if we are built to run so we need to stop the passing teams and turn them into running teams, which will plat to our strength.

Good find Marty.
    Damn, site keeps failing to post my answer, lets hope third times a charm (and gonna be smaller).

In a nutshell, I said the following:

a. Why Dnabb. Why not Kolb. Came from same scheme, nows the verbiage, easy transisition etc etc etc. More upside than Dnabb IMHO.

b. Like the idea of the Cowboys as a trade partner but don't think Jerry would do it. Mostly cause they don't run the ball enough to warrant giving up what they would have to for AD.

c. I like CT. Consider him one of the top "Pro's" to play the game. Came in expecting to be the man, did it for one year and then got replaced by AD. What did he do? Kept on doing his job.

Problem is, I think he would take reps away from Toby. From what I saw last year from him, all he needs are more reps. Each and every game he got better and better. My guess, he could/would start for alot of teams this year.

d. As to the find, I give the credit to sportspyder.com. Best sports info site out there.

(Again, sorry for readersdigest version. Didn't have time to retype everything all over again).