Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 45
  1. #21
    Garland Greene's Avatar
    Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: I hate to ask but... our DE situation

    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:
    Again KU GET WELL SOON!!!

    With that being said it seems highly likely that we will not see KU this season.
    Erasmus is done with football I thinkor is at the minimum very iffy with his injury. Scott still f'ed up his way off the team or is he somewhat safe now to hang around? Basically we are looking at Brian Robison and Ray Edwards, Grigsby and Mitchell(I think he is still considered on the team) With that being said we have a VERY YOUNG set of DE.
    I am still not convinced that we look at a draft pick in the first round that still makes us very young, and there is slim pickings at DE as UFA. If Allen is out there we will have to IMO send
    everything we have at him. Or is there a trade out there that is possible for us to make. But who is possible to trade with and trade for. When i look at what we cabn get in draft and the FA available a trade may be our best option, or hope that there is a DE out there that will get relased that we do not expect
    Was Erasmus James cut and I didn't see it?

    =Z=
    I think it's safe to say we can't rely on Erasmus James to be a consistent producer.
    He has had some pretty serious knee injures now twice. having had knee injuries I don't consider myself any tyoe of expert but. When you start getting that level of multiple knee injuries. Your career starts to get into question.

  2. #22
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,910

    Re: I hate to ask but... our DE situation

    "Garland" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:
    Again KU GET WELL SOON!!!

    With that being said it seems highly likely that we will not see KU this season.
    Erasmus is done with football I thinkor is at the minimum very iffy with his injury. Scott still f'ed up his way off the team or is he somewhat safe now to hang around? Basically we are looking at Brian Robison and Ray Edwards, Grigsby and Mitchell(I think he is still considered on the team) With that being said we have a VERY YOUNG set of DE.
    I am still not convinced that we look at a draft pick in the first round that still makes us very young, and there is slim pickings at DE as UFA. If Allen is out there we will have to IMO send
    everything we have at him. Or is there a trade out there that is possible for us to make. But who is possible to trade with and trade for. When i look at what we cabn get in draft and the FA available a trade may be our best option, or hope that there is a DE out there that will get relased that we do not expect
    Was Erasmus James cut and I didn't see it?

    =Z=
    I think it's safe to say we can't rely on Erasmus James to be a consistent producer.
    He has had some pretty serious knee injures now twice. having had knee injuries I don't consider myself any tyoe of expert but. When you start getting that level of multiple knee injuries. Your career starts to get into question.
    EJ will be fine. However, most experts expect that it takes 1.5 years to fully recover from a ACL tear. James had his surgery botched before and that was the cause of this injury. Everyone wants to get rid of the guy but I want to see what he can do. Let him get his knee corrected, healed and then come back and show us what he can do. I don't think his career is in jepody.

  3. #23
    dcboardr41 is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,051

    Re: I hate to ask but... our DE situation

    I think our only shots that we have in FA is either Justin Smith or Antwan Odom, and with our line-up at DE, i will take either of them. Odom is used to playing with great players on the D-line so he can fit right in, and with Smith he can finally play on a good d line, i would really like it if we got him.

    With the draft, i would like it if we drafted a S in the 1st and took a DE in the 2nd round, phillip merling from clemson is supposed to be there so we could upgrade right there.

    Poor KU, stay strong.

    Pissing on the Pack since 08'

  4. #24
    mountainviking's Avatar
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,840

    Re: I hate to ask but... our DE situation

    Wow!
    That certainly could hurt us!!
    But, at this point, we know very little.
    I mean, he played all 16 games and didn't seem slow at the end; 47 tackles and 5 sacks ain't so bad for DE...this just came out of nowhere?
    Isn't there a chance its a mild form and he can play????

    Dang!
    Just when I was getting stoked with being solid at his end.
    And, like mentioned, the young rotation we have at the other end.
    Prayers and Best Wishes for a swift recovery Kenechi!!!

    According to http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10636763

    Antwan Odom is the 2nd best FA available...maybe he's our guy?
    Seems big enough to play either side, had a decent year last year in only his 4th, and they won't be able to franchise him unless they get something worked out quick with Haynesworth.
    Further down the list, another TEN DE, Travis Laboy is also a FA..."speed rusher," with 6 sacks this year...?

    As for moving a LB/whether we may have someone already on the roster...I'll go ahead and say maybe we should go out of our way to keep Dontarious and/or Spencer now.
    At 6'3" and 286 lbs, Spencer is real close to Udeze's size (only 5 lbs heavier, same ht.).
    DT could play some MLB with EJ in a 3-4 change up, or, would be our fastest guy at DE, rushing from the outside a bit (7gap?).
    But, obviously, he could get swallowed whole by 330 lb OTs too...but that speed might make it worth a shot now and then.
    And, he'd be WAY better dropping into coverage than Pat!
    (The old, lineup to rush, fake blitz, drop back and cover the short mid against RBs, FBs, and TEs!)
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

    "Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

  5. #25
    mountainviking's Avatar
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,840

    Re: I hate to ask but... our DE situation

    As for James, I'm not so sure we should let him go yet.
    He has only played in 18 games, and the doc seemed to think it was kind of an F'up from the previous operation...not a second injury, but something they missed first time around.
    I've heard a year to two years is what it typically takes to get back to full speed after a major knee operation.
    My purple brother out here in CO blew his knee out this summer on a drunken escapade...had surgery first of July, and was skiing backcountry by the beginning of December...5 months.
    Of course, you're hoping 2 to 300 pounders aren't going to be running into you on the ski slopes!


    IMHO he just might earn his starting spot back by mid to late season this year, or, maybe he ends up on the PUP while he gets better...doesn't take a roster spot, and we still have that potential if/when he comes back.
    I guess, it might depend on how much he's scheduled to make...probably not a ton, given the bonus up front and the fourth year of his first contract.
    Unless there is damning physical evidence against it, I say keep James around for another shot!
    Maybe, he'd even be willing to rework his contract/sign an extension with incentives.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

    "Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

  6. #26
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: I hate to ask but... our DE situation

    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    Does anyone think we may be more inclined to bring Darrion Scott back now?
    I think that would be a prospect for sure if they decide not to be aggressive at going after any other FA's. Even if we draft one, they probably won't be ready to step in on day one.

  7. #27
    Vikes_King's Avatar
    Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    7,104

    Re: I hate to ask but... our DE situation

    "dcboardr41" wrote:
    i hate to say this but getting antwan odom from tenn sounds like our best choice as of now
    Odom definatly isn't a bad player though, he has room to grow.
    Robison & Edwards both have huge opportunties with this and I'm sure they know it, Edwards is looking to prove his worth after his suspension, and Robison wants to shut up people that say he's not a complete end because of the run.
    Salt and Peppers here! (lol..)

    but i do hope they bring in another guy, they pretty much have to.
    Tough spot for the organization though



    http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

    "We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

    - Dan Calabrese

  8. #28
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,928

    Re: I hate to ask but... our DE situation

    "VikingMike" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "VikingMike" wrote:
    "tgorsegner" wrote:
    This might be crazy, but are there any Linebackers on the roster who can play Defensive End? Or decent and fairly inexpensive guys who can? obviously it is now truly a position of need, and it might be a better solution than using a draft pick, because even out of position, the guy is at least used to playing in the NFL, and that pick could be used otherwise. Especially when you realize that the few decent DE's out there are going to go for a much higher price than they are worth. I don't know what the FA linebacker situation looks like. Somebody who knows more than me feel like addressing this issue?

    That's not crazy at all...Justin Tuck played LB in college, now he's playing DT and DE, an absolute beast. If there's a LB who can bulk up, I don't see why it isn't a possibility, whether from the current roster or elsewhere. But the time required might be a drawback.
    I'm not a proponent of taking a player that is a LB, bulking him up, to fix a DE need.
    Mostly because it usually means a degradation in his speed and puts additional wear/tear on muscles and ligaments resulting in injuries.

    Another thing to consider when doing this is the impact on your LB corp/rotation.
    You would then have to go out and find another LB.

    Long story short, I would much rather see them address this through the two normal channels it is done, a) FA and b) draft.

    When I posted that, I had a feeling it would draw a quick reply from you, Marrdro.
    ;D Ideally, I wouldn't like to go this route either (bulk up a LB). The fact that Tuck is a freak made me think it's a possibility, however remote. I, too, would prefer to address an immediate need through FA.
    LOL, you guys are getting to know me to well if you know my responses before I type them.
    Maybe I need to shift tactics.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  9. #29
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,928

    Re: I hate to ask but... our DE situation

    "dcboardr41" wrote:
    I think our only shots that we have in FA is either Justin Smith or Antwan Odom, and with our line-up at DE, i will take either of them. Odom is used to playing with great players on the D-line so he can fit right in, and with Smith he can finally play on a good d line, i would really like it if we got him.

    With the draft, i would like it if we drafted a S in the 1st and took a DE in the 2nd round, phillip merling from clemson is supposed to be there so we could upgrade right there.

    Poor KU, stay strong.
    I agree with your assesment and actually like both of these two guys.
    Both will be a bit overpriced but should be good 2nd tier kindof guys that would fit our scheme.

    Odom - 4 years experience, 8 sacks in 2007, 6-5 274lbs.
    Looks like a guy that could play for us at the LDE position for quite a few years.
    Smith - First round pick (4) by the Bengals with 43.5 Sacks over 7 years.
    A vet, but not to old that he can't still produce for a couple of more years as our young guys develop.

    Again, all DE's in the FA market will be overpriced but I really like the thought of adding either one of these guys (or both for that matter) as a stop gap for our issues.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  10. #30
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,928

    Re: I hate to ask but... our DE situation

    "mountainviking" wrote:
    Wow!
    That certainly could hurt us!!
    But, at this point, we know very little.
    I mean, he played all 16 games and didn't seem slow at the end; 47 tackles and 5 sacks ain't so bad for DE...this just came out of nowhere?
    Isn't there a chance its a mild form and he can play????

    Dang!
    Just when I was getting stoked with being solid at his end.
    And, like mentioned, the young rotation we have at the other end.
    Prayers and Best Wishes for a swift recovery Kenechi!!!

    According to http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10636763

    Antwan Odom is the 2nd best FA available...maybe he's our guy?
    Seems big enough to play either side, had a decent year last year in only his 4th, and they won't be able to franchise him unless they get something worked out quick with Haynesworth.
    Further down the list, another TEN DE, Travis Laboy is also a FA..."speed rusher," with 6 sacks this year...?

    As for moving a LB/whether we may have someone already on the roster...I'll go ahead and say maybe we should go out of our way to keep Dontarious and/or Spencer now.
    At 6'3" and 286 lbs, Spencer is real close to Udeze's size (only 5 lbs heavier, same ht.).
    DT could play some MLB with EJ in a 3-4 change up, or, would be our fastest guy at DE, rushing from the outside a bit (7gap?).
    But, obviously, he could get swallowed whole by 330 lb OTs too...but that speed might make it worth a shot now and then.
    And, he'd be WAY better dropping into coverage than Pat!
    (The old, lineup to rush, fake blitz, drop back and cover the short mid against RBs, FBs, and TEs!)
    Excellent post.

    Great point on ole Spence.
    He would/could be a nice fit in the rotation at LDE even though he is a bit slow of foot.

    Maybe he could drop a few pounds to get at a lighter playing wieght to help with his speed.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. LB Situation, where do we stand?
    By Turboe in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 10-13-2008, 10:27 PM
  2. Our DE situation
    By Garland Greene in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-23-2008, 04:40 PM
  3. RB Situation
    By Wiggles67 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-14-2006, 10:58 PM
  4. RB Situation
    By ThaSuperFreak33 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 09-18-2005, 03:37 PM
  5. RB situation
    By catlikethief22 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 09-08-2005, 09:59 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •