Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: I hate to ask but... our DE situation

"aaeyers" wrote:
    Right before I heard the terrible news regarding Udeze, I had just convinced myself that we didn't need another DE. Udeze was completely solid over on the left, while Robison and Edwards combined for 9.5 sacks on the right side.

I may be all alone on this, but I think our RDE position is just fine. We have 2 very young, promising players in Edwards in Robison who can rotate in and out. I expect that next year they will be even better, as they will be more experienced, and I would not be surprised to see them post 10+ sacks between them.

People always say we need a double digit sack artist, but what is the difference if one person does it compared to two? I prefer the rotation method, because then if one player goes down, the other can step in and continue to be effective. Not to mention they both stay fresh and can continue to wear down the offensive line all the more efficiently.

In my opinion the right side will be just fine, but without Udeze we have a huge hole on the left side. I don't think that either Grigsby or Mitchell are the type of player you want starting for long periods of time. Who knows how the FO is going to handle this one. Maybe it would be a good move to bring in an aging vet like Simeon Rice or someone who can play for a year while Udeze recovers.
    Very nice post.

I also was gonna be content to ride out the storm with what we have/had on the roster if the staff didn't deem it necessary to do anything.
    Now alot of the old questions start creeping back into my head mostly centered around FA though and not so much in the draft.

Again, you go out and fix holes such as the loss of Keneche via FA and use the draft to provide depth/future.
    with that said, I really expect the staff to go out and get a middle tier guy in FA as well as address this position were they see value (could be first round, could be third round) in the draft.

By the way, now we will see the strengths of Bryzcheapski as this is why you need CAP space.
    :
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

"tgorsegner" wrote:
    This might be crazy, but are there any Linebackers on the roster who can play Defensive End? Or decent and fairly inexpensive guys who can? obviously it is now truly a position of need, and it might be a better solution than using a draft pick, because even out of position, the guy is at least used to playing in the NFL, and that pick could be used otherwise. Especially when you realize that the few decent DE's out there are going to go for a much higher price than they are worth. I don't know what the FA linebacker situation looks like. Somebody who knows more than me feel like addressing this issue?

That's not crazy at all...Justin Tuck played LB in college, now he's playing DT and DE, an absolute beast. If there's a LB who can bulk up, I don't see why it isn't a possibility, whether from the current roster or elsewhere. But the time required might be a drawback.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"VikingMike" wrote:
    "tgorsegner" wrote:
    This might be crazy, but are there any Linebackers on the roster who can play Defensive End? Or decent and fairly inexpensive guys who can? obviously it is now truly a position of need, and it might be a better solution than using a draft pick, because even out of position, the guy is at least used to playing in the NFL, and that pick could be used otherwise. Especially when you realize that the few decent DE's out there are going to go for a much higher price than they are worth. I don't know what the FA linebacker situation looks like. Somebody who knows more than me feel like addressing this issue?

That's not crazy at all...Justin Tuck played LB in college, now he's playing DT and DE, an absolute beast. If there's a LB who can bulk up, I don't see why it isn't a possibility, whether from the current roster or elsewhere. But the time required might be a drawback.
    I'm not a proponent of taking a player that is a LB, bulking him up, to fix a DE need.
    Mostly because it usually means a degradation in his speed and puts additional wear/tear on muscles and ligaments resulting in injuries.

Another thing to consider when doing this is the impact on your LB corp/rotation.
    You would then have to go out and find another LB.

Long story short, I would much rather see them address this through the two normal channels it is done, a) FA and b) draft.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Garland" wrote:
    Again KU GET WELL SOON!!!

With that being said it seems highly likely that we will not see KU this season.
    Erasmus is done with football I thinkor is at the minimum very iffy with his injury. Scott still f'ed up his way off the team or is he somewhat safe now to hang around? Basically we are looking at Brian Robison and Ray Edwards, Grigsby and Mitchell(I think he is still considered on the team) With that being said we have a VERY YOUNG set of DE.
    I am still not convinced that we look at a draft pick in the first round that still makes us very young, and there is slim pickings at DE as UFA. If Allen is out there we will have to IMO send
    everything we have at him. Or is there a trade out there that is possible for us to make. But who is possible to trade with and trade for. When i look at what we cabn get in draft and the FA available a trade may be our best option, or hope that there is a DE out there that will get relased that we do not expect
    Was Erasmus James cut and I didn't see it?

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

No, he's just been written off by too many on this site (IMO).

I'd prefer a properly healed knee after this surgery and then try to judge him.

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

"The" wrote:
    Too Soon? Maybe, but since you took the lead I'll follow.

Obviously we all hope that Kenechi beats this thing like he beats an unsuspecting offensive tackle. With some luck we're all praying and crossing our fingers that he'll still be able to retire a Viking.

That said, it seems unlikely that he'll be able to return this year. So if it were up to me, I would seriously hope the Vikes make a grab for Terrell Suggs, at the very least. I'm less convinced that we draft a DE too high. I like what I've seen out of both Edwards and Robison, who are both young. With Kenechi and Erasumus as question marks for the long term, I think we go free agency and let the position battle begin rather than take up another roster spot with a rookie.
    I know I was debating whether to ask it or not. But Like SIA said it is unfortunatly a reality as we start to head into the FA period and the combine right around the corner. Who knows maybe the Vikings already had a plan in place to adress DE or maybe they have toi shift their entire focus more on DE. Or even the reality that making a trade may be a better option. I really wish that this was not even a scenerio that had to be dealt with. :'(

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

Right now it looks like we should throw a good deal to Justin Smith.

I can't see chilly wanting to draft a guy then start him a few months later (see AD, Rice, Robison, Allison.) All of them had to wait to get theirs.

"Garland" wrote:
    "The" wrote:
    Too Soon? Maybe, but since you took the lead I'll follow.

Obviously we all hope that Kenechi beats this thing like he beats an unsuspecting offensive tackle. With some luck we're all praying and crossing our fingers that he'll still be able to retire a Viking.

That said, it seems unlikely that he'll be able to return this year. So if it were up to me, I would seriously hope the Vikes make a grab for Terrell Suggs, at the very least. I'm less convinced that we draft a DE too high. I like what I've seen out of both Edwards and Robison, who are both young. With Kenechi and Erasumus as question marks for the long term, I think we go free agency and let the position battle begin rather than take up another roster spot with a rookie.
    I know I was debating whether to ask it or not. But Like SIA said it is unfortunatly a reality as we start to head into the FA period and the combine right around the corner. Who knows maybe the Vikings already had a plan in place to adress DE or maybe they have toi shift their entire focus more on DE. Or even the reality that making a trade may be a better option. I really wish that this was not even a scenerio that had to be dealt with. :'(

Agreed...we all feel for KU and his family and wish him all the very best. There is no disrespect meant, nor should any be taken, but it's a business and the organization must make plans. I personally find it very hard to think of anything else since yesterday morning when I heard this news. I can only imagine what he and his loved ones are experiencing.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "VikingMike" wrote:
    "tgorsegner" wrote:

I'm not a proponent of taking a player that is a LB, bulking him up, to fix a DE need.
    Mostly because it usually means a degradation in his speed and puts additional wear/tear on muscles and ligaments resulting in injuries.

Another thing to consider when doing this is the impact on your LB corp/rotation.
    You would then have to go out and find another LB.

Long story short, I would much rather see them address this through the two normal channels it is done, a) FA and b) draft.

When I posted that, I had a feeling it would draw a quick reply from you, Marrdro.
    ;D Ideally, I wouldn't like to go this route either (bulk up a LB). The fact that Tuck is a freak made me think it's a possibility, however remote. I, too, would prefer to address an immediate need through FA.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:
    Again KU GET WELL SOON!!!

With that being said it seems highly likely that we will not see KU this season.
    Erasmus is done with football I thinkor is at the minimum very iffy with his injury. Scott still f'ed up his way off the team or is he somewhat safe now to hang around? Basically we are looking at Brian Robison and Ray Edwards, Grigsby and Mitchell(I think he is still considered on the team) With that being said we have a VERY YOUNG set of DE.
    I am still not convinced that we look at a draft pick in the first round that still makes us very young, and there is slim pickings at DE as UFA. If Allen is out there we will have to IMO send
    everything we have at him. Or is there a trade out there that is possible for us to make. But who is possible to trade with and trade for. When i look at what we cabn get in draft and the FA available a trade may be our best option, or hope that there is a DE out there that will get relased that we do not expect
    Was Erasmus James cut and I didn't see it?

=Z=
    I think it's safe to say we can't rely on Erasmus James to be a consistent producer.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast